Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

Wifey no likey the interior.

Wife: 'guess our friends will think we took a step down'

DG

Your wifey needs a Catalina or a Hunter.

That's when you get a J/109 B) Almost as fast (we beat them regulary on the water), 30% cheaper and estabished OD in many areas. The Finn Flyer is nice, but aimed at a different custoimer segment.

How do you justify the 30% extra price for a boat that is likely cheaper to make (J/109 vs. 111) and will likely have worse second hand value (at least in Europe)? Is it just a brand issue?

Doesn't the 109 come with an aluminum stick? It says so on the specs posted on jboats.com. The Hall carbon spar on the 111 obviously costs a mint, very tall (high aspect) and very high tech with nano-tube technology.

Wifey no likey the interior.

Wife: 'guess our friends will think we took a step down'

DG

Your wifey needs a Catalina or a Hunter.

She's already got a 36.7 and a Melges. I think she's set.

DG

Any thoughts on the boat's potential to develop an OD fleet on the GLs?

Will 105 owners want to move to a 111? Seems a bit expensive for an

OD fleet to take off...

Not a fleet as large as the 105s, but in the larger markets (like in San Francisco Bay) it looks probable to get enough boats to get their own start in major regattas. The J/111 owners seem to be more race-minded based on the boat's performance profile and cost. Obviously the boat will have to continue to develop good buzz around its sailing characteristics.

OD fleet to take off...

I heard that there have already been 8 for the Chicago area alone. It wouldn't surprise me that they'll have a strong Lake Michigan fleet.

DG

I thought I briefly saw the 111 sailing around the American Yacht Club Fall Series this weekend. I was very busy trimming main on our boat and only saw it briefly. It had NZ on it's sails. I looked and did not see it on the scratch sheet or the results. Anyone know what was up?

I thought I briefly saw the 111 sailing around the American Yacht Club Fall Series this weekend. I was very busy trimming main on our boat and only saw it briefly. It had NZ on it's sails. I looked and did not see it on the scratch sheet or the results. Anyone know what was up?

Probably was the 111. She is making her way to the Annapolis Boat Show on her own keel. Hull #1 is going to New Zealand and has NZ on her sails.

Probably was the 111. She is making her way to the Annapolis Boat Show on her own keel. Hull #1 is going to New Zealand and has NZ on her sails.

Yep that was her...Stella. Left for Annapolis yesterday.

It hit 18kts on the delivery with main and jib...

What were conditions? I've only seen those kind of speeds with "white sails" up on my J/90.

What were conditions? I've only seen those kind of speeds with "white sails" up on my J/90.

possibly over the ground speed, not water speed????

still impressive though

still impressive though

Unknown. The Annapolis dealer Ken Comerford told me. Ill see if I can find out.

Very possible do that under main and jib with the breeze up, done similar speeds on the 105 offshore (two handed) on surfs when it's too windy for the kite.

still impressive though

Unknown. The Annapolis dealer Ken Comerford told me. Ill see if I can find out.

Any update from Ken on this? Like Ragbag, I'm interested in understanding the sea state and wind conditions that produced these hull speeds. Also any accounts of the delivery from those on onboard (or those with information) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much for keeping us informed!

OD fleet to take off...

I heard that there have already been 8 for the Chicago area alone. It wouldn't surprise me that they'll have a strong Lake Michigan fleet.

DG

There are now 4 boats on order for the SF Bay Area. Mine, hull# 4 is supposed to leave the factory this coming week coming West. J Boats is over 41 hull deposits for this boat.

Didn't ask delivery dates...as I'm not in the market for one. They also said they have a backlog of 7 J-95s to build...

Left Hook, that's 50 total orders from all sources, not 50 at the Boatshow...

Didn't ask delivery dates...as I'm not in the market for one. They also said they have a backlog of 7 J-95s to build...

Left Hook, that's 50 total orders from all sources, not 50 at the Boatshow...

Yup, If my memory serves then that's up from 39 on Oct 3.

when is the delivery date for hull #50?

Just read in RCR's "Racer's News" that unless they can ramp up production, they are booked thru the end of next summer...

OD fleet to take off...

DG

There are now 4 boats on order for the SF Bay Area. Mine, hull# 4 is supposed to leave the factory this coming week coming West. J Boats is over 41 hull deposits for this boat.

The second SF Boat, Hull #17, is due to arrive in Spring 2011. We understand there are efforts underway to ramp up production as well.

anybody know where the j111 from the show in annapolis will be this weekend?

heading to annapolis this weekend and wondered if it was anywhere to check it out.

thanks

Call North Point Yacht Sales 410-280-2038. If its available for inspection/demo sails, they'll be the guys arranging it. Its supposed to be getting ready to ship to NZ soon....

Agreed, the bottom on that keel looks like it came off an alien craft. I understand they don't want kelp,crab-lobster-fish trap catching keels, no one does, but does it have to look like that? Is there a perceived IRC/ORR ratings advantage? Is that perceived to be faster than some sort of torpedo shape? Some combination of more lift, less drag, greater righting force, wider groove? There ought to be some reason the J-folks designed such a keel. Thoughts?

FWIW I got the impression that today was only the second day of the commission process so naturaly things are a little rough.

How are they going to seal the hull/keel joint ? I assume it's designed to be trailered with keel/rudder in place.

Look at what I saw today.

That is my boat. Have not been up there yet to see it in person, but will in the next day. It got delivered late Monday.

Love the boat, but man that keel is quite fugly...Seems like J could design a keel that at least looks fast!!

My J/90 keel looked similar, not quite as fat as it had a very high tech fin. J Boats debated the torpedo vs. L shape, and feedback came from many sources that the torpedo is a pain in the ass with kelp etc. getting stuck, needing kelp cutters etc. A slong as you can balance and position the weight correctly underneath the boat, it doesn't matter the shape. Besides, it is not exactly visible below the water line.

That is my boat. Have not been up there yet to see it in person, but will in the next day. It got delivered late Monday.

Congratulations. Sweet!

Unfortunately we wont be able to move to a J/111 in 2011. The J/109 isn't sold and I'm starting a new business which leave me little or no time to engage in a new build this winter. So we decided to campaign the 109 for another season (still have some unfinished business). A 111 is still in the plans for 2012. So someone else will get #18 and I'll move to the back of the queue :(

Love the boat, but man that keel is quite fugly...Seems like J could design a keel that at least looks fast!!

My J/90 keel looked similar, not quite as fat as it had a very high tech fin. J Boats debated the torpedo vs. L shape, and feedback came from many sources that the torpedo is a pain in the ass with kelp etc. getting stuck, needing kelp cutters etc. A slong as you can balance and position the weight correctly underneath the boat, it doesn't matter the shape. Besides, it is not exactly visible below the water line.

Congrats Ragbag, please keep us posted with launch/sailing pics. What sails did you decide on? I'm curious to see what the Norths look like.

Congrats Ragbag, please keep us posted with launch/sailing pics. What sails did you decide on? I'm curious to see what the Norths look like.

Bill Colombo (Doyle Sailmakers) is building the sails. Main, two head sails (+ a delivery/non-race headsail), two kites and a code zero. There will be an opportunity for all interested local parties to see the boat up close once it's fully commissioned in the next couple of weeks. Will put out further details on that here. There are an additional 3 boats on order here but with the very large J/105 class here in San Francisco, we expect it to be a compelling upgrade path for some 105 owners.

Can't figure out how anyone could really cruise this boat with an open head design? We all know how bad marine heads smell. I understand the weight saving part but can you imagine sleeping in a boat with the entire head exposed to the whole interior.... the whole interior will stink.

Can't figure out how anyone could really cruise this boat with an open head design? We all know how bad marine heads smell. I understand the weight saving part but can you imagine sleeping in a boat with the entire head exposed to the whole interior.... the whole interior will stink.

if I wanted to cruise I'd get a cruiser. This boat is most suitable for racing and day sailing. I personally may crash on the boat from time to time, but that's about it. There are ways to seal/zipper the area of from the rest of the cabin if needed.

Are you bringing it down to race in SD? Or is a different boat coming here?

You must be getting a different boat down there. We stay up in the San Francisco Bay Area and coastal areas.

While the hull design looks fantastic and the deck layout is awesome and efficient, I think they totally missed the mark with the interior. Are they thinking that a bit more luxury down below was going to screw the performance pooch so terribly that they went with a bare-bones clorox bottle down below? You can't tell me that a few doors and some woodsy shit belowdeck would have taken this boat down a notch. IMHO they could have really hit a note with those of us who really would like a FAST dual purpose boat... this would have been the ticket. No doors and the head situation are terrible, not to mention the non-headlined cabin... that shit just looks terrible. I love seeing the fiberglass cloth patterns that have been gel-coated.... gives it that 'quality' look that most people like to see.

WTF J!?

DG

While the hull design looks fantastic and the deck layout is awesome and efficient, I think they totally missed the mark with the interior. Are they thinking that a bit more luxury down below was going to screw the performance pooch so terribly that they went with a bare-bones clorox bottle down below? You can't tell me that a few doors and some woodsy shit belowdeck would have taken this boat down a notch. IMHO they could have really hit a note with those of us who really would like a FAST dual purpose boat... this would have been the ticket. No doors and the head situation are terrible, not to mention the non-headlined cabin... that shit just looks terrible. I love seeing the fiberglass cloth patterns that have been gel-coated.... gives it that 'quality' look that most people like to see.

WTF J!?

DG

You mean a J/109?

WTF J!?

DG

You mean a J/109?

No. That pig doesn't plane.

hey neither does your beneslow....

Dicky, im sure if you asked real nicely, Mr. J would add some wood and a headliner, personally....

hey neither does your beneslow....

Dicky, im sure if you asked real nicely, Mr. J would add some wood and a headliner, personally....

True, but my Melges certainly does. I was hoping for a more modest J109 interior with J125 potential. Instead, they dished out a Farr 40 interior with a few wood panels on the floor.

Concerning 'asking nicely', there is NO doubt that they would accomodate. I can't see where J would deny me such a request. I just wished that I didn't have to ask. Not sure that I could ask them to put the head in the aft section of the boat..... I've already spoken with the dealer and he had commented that they, too, could be a bit creative when needed... I'd fully trust their capabilities too...

I love the 109, BTW.

DG

While the interior didn't exactly strike a chord with me either, they must have gotten something right as they have50 + orders, enough that the delivery list right now stretches out thru next summer...

No reason for the head to smell. If it does, then its not being maintained right. I've owned a boat with the head open to the interior and never had an issue with smell. It may be that having the head enclosed in a small space "traps" odors and concentrates them. But if it smells, something needs to be cleaned, or drained, or replaced...

if you dont cycle the seawater through the system every so often, yeah, its gonna stink... or if fat bastard drops a deuce... but i dont think our head was ever shit in as long as we owned the boat, maybe once - it was just the seawater getting that rotten egg smell if it wasnt cycled.

if you dont cycle the seawater through the system every so often, yeah, its gonna stink... or if fat bastard drops a deuce... but i dont think our head was ever shit in as long as we owned the boat, maybe once - it was just the seawater getting that rotten egg smell if it wasnt cycled.

Thats a good point. My crew/family always had females on/in it, so the head was used frequently...by all hands. Thus the seawater never really sat in it for any length of time....We also pumped the holding tank frequently...and always pumped out the sh*t, then refilled with fresh water and pumped out again. Only time there was a smell issue is when the holding tank got overfull, and started venting out the vent hose...made sure to never let that happen 2x.

my understanding is that L-shape is also better at low speeds as it provides higher lift even though at the expense of more drag - also more forgiving overall

just my 2 cents

While the interior didn't exactly strike a chord with me either, they must have gotten something right as they have50 + orders, enough that the delivery list right now stretches out thru next summer...

Where we sail (in California), you find that the interior is not a place where you spend a lot of time. You have a whole condo down there, and it doesn't get much use, other than the head, the cooler, quick peak at the instruments at the nav station, that sort of thing. When sailing overnight, it is pitch dark down there, and you need a good sea berth which the J/111 also has. Cockpit layout and room is way more important than what you have down below. The J/111 has a very large cockpit in relation to tis cabin house which is correct for my mode of use.

if I wanted to cruise I'd get a cruiser. This boat is most suitable for racing and day sailing. I personally may crash on the boat from time to time, but that's about it. There are ways to seal/zipper the area of from the rest of the cabin if needed.

I was on the boat (#4) today, it has a DOOR (old fashioned solution) on the forward compartment. May not help those sleeping in the V berth if that were to ever happen, but I can seal off the entire cabin. I will use forward area for sail storage anyways. Door can easily be lifted off hinges for racing etc.

A J105 has some wood lining below, a door for the heads and headling. A j/105 is hardly regarded as a caravan. All of those should be on the J/111 in my view. I cannot see the female members of crew being thrilled with no door.

The J/111 comes standard with a door! There is an option for additional teak trim on the interior for those of you who are buying a race boat but want to drag around a bunch of useless weight! I can't believe you guys are still going off on a head liner! This is a RACE BOAT!!! The builder has done a nice job building the boat that you really don't need it anyway! Headliners reduce headroom and cover up crappy fiberglass layup. I would rather have the headroom, see the quality of the build and go fast and that is what I am going to do on Hull #30 when I get it next June.

Sounds like a bunch of people like the old SC-37 with it's carbon construction and headliners. That's a really expensive solution to end up at basically the same place, although the cheaper solution is not as shiny.

Sounds like a bunch of people like the old SC-37 with it's carbon construction and headliners.
Maybe a bunch of lookers, but certainly not buyers. Were as the J/111 has already taken deposits for 50+ boats.

The J/111 comes standard with a door! There is an option for additional teak trim on the interior for those of you who are buying a race boat but want to drag around a bunch of useless weight! I can't believe you guys are still going off on a head liner! This is a RACE BOAT!!! The builder has done a nice job building the boat that you really don't need it anyway! Headliners reduce headroom and cover up crappy fiberglass layup. I would rather have the headroom, see the quality of the build and go fast and that is what I am going to do on Hull #30 when I get it next June.

I think the finish of the cabin ceiling is quite good and smooth. Yes, you see bolts throughs but they have been done nicely. Not something that will bother me one bit. Boat is very clean and simple at so many levels.

That makes two of us...some interior shots of your boat would be really great Ragbag. OBTW, I too really like the cabin ceiling. It will be easy to keep clean, easy to remount gear if necessary, and easy to spot a leaky fastener that needs re-bedding. I hate the carpet glued up on the ceiling of my current ride (a S2 9.1) and I had problems with bubbles forming in the vinyl covered ply headliner on my 109. That said, the flat white paint on the hull sides ivo the Quarterberths and vee berth I think will be tougher to keep clean. If I were buying a 111, I might have those areas painted with a semi gloss so they would be more resistent to showing scuff marks and easier to wash...

That makes two of us...some interior shots of your boat would be really great Ragbag. OBTW, I too really like the cabin ceiling. It will be easy to keep clean, easy to remount gear if necessary, and easy to spot a leaky fastener that needs re-bedding. I hate the carpet glued up on the ceiling of my current ride (a S2 9.1) and I had problems with bubbles forming in the vinyl covered ply headliner on my 109. That said, the flat white paint on the hull sides ivo the Quarterberths and vee berth I think will be tougher to keep clean. If I were buying a 111, I might have those areas painted with a semi gloss so they would be more resistent to showing scuff marks and easier to wash...

The boat is being rigged as we speak. They just put the rig up. It is a blizzard of gear inside, with most surfaces covered up for protection, not worth taking pictures of yet, but will do when she is in show condition. My boat has nice navy color ultra suede cushions, makes it quite nice interior, and they also put in a nice table. Tables function mostly as a divider to lean the sails against underway, but they did a really nice job on it. I was overall more pleased with the interior than i thought i would be. Boat feels bigger both inside and on top than I had figured. The hall spar is a work of art, so light for such a big stick. They hope to have her in the water in a week. They prefer to have the boat in the water as soon as she's ready for it, do the rest of the rigging in the water.

If I were buying a 111, I might have those areas painted with a semi gloss so they would be more resistent to showing scuff marks and easier to wash...

I think it has a semi-gloss paint on there. It looks shiny but not glossy. Easy to clean from the looks of it.

The boat is being rigged as we speak. They just put the rig up. It is a blizzard of gear inside, with most surfaces covered up for protection, not worth taking pictures of yet, but will do when she is in show condition. My boat has nice navy color ultra suede cushions, makes it quite nice interior, and they also put in a nice table. Tables function mostly as a divider to lean the sails against underway, but they did a really nice job on it. I was overall more pleased with the interior than i thought i would be. Boat feels bigger both inside and on top than I had figured. The hall spar is a work of art, so light for such a big stick. They hope to have her in the water in a week. They prefer to have the boat in the water as soon as she's ready for it, do the rest of the rigging in the water.

That's awesome. Congrats on the new ride!

DG

post-34764-063408100 1287792522_thumb.jpg

post-34764-080534300 1287792539_thumb.jpg

If I were buying a 111, I might have those areas painted with a semi gloss so they would be more resistent to showing scuff marks and easier to wash...

I think it has a semi-gloss paint on there. It looks shiny but not glossy. Easy to clean from the looks of it.

Maybe I remembered wrong from hull 1 when I was at the Annapolis Boat Show...or maybe they already figured that out and made a change...either way I'm jealous...Congrats!

Wow! That thing is so beautiful! I belong to Jport in Annapolis do I get to sail J80s, J105s, and J32s. One day, I sure wouldn't mind buying a J111 though. I'm such a busy guy with a passel of little kids that I don't have time for upkeep though.rolleyes.gif

does anybody know whether there is a plan for building in euroland

It's been rumored, not confirmed. Would make some sense given the sizable order backlog. Long wait times can jeopardize orders. I heard the French guy (didier?) who runs J Europe has been involved in this program early on (he was on the sea trials of hull #1), maybe that is an indication. Cost-wise, you may be better off getting one from the East coast here with the Euro back at 1.40.

I talked to Rod J. at the boat show in Annapolis and they are in the process of signing a contract with a builder in Europe. It was supposed to happen tuesday after the show but I have not heard anything since. Could have happened, could have fallen through...

In order for the J/111 to be successful in Europe it will have to be built there, the cost savings from shipping alone are material.

Didier has been the European builder for over 10 years under various companies and is very well known. Some of the European building (J/97) has been taking place in Poland I heard, away from Sables D'Olonne where J-Composite/J-Europe were. Possibly this was a result of the recession.

You must be getting a different boat down there. We stay up in the San Francisco Bay Area and coastal areas.

JK3 Enterprises in San Diego is commissioning hull #3 currently and has 2 more on order...

http://www.boats.com/boat-details/J-Boats-J111/21646521

JK3 Enterprises in San Diego is commissioning hull #3 currently and has 2 more on order...

Seems like they bought it as a stock boat, no end buyer yet. Somebody could move to the front of the line, take it off their hands.

Seems like they bought it as a stock boat, no end buyer yet. Somebody could move to the front of the line, take it off their hands.

JK3 in San Diego just posted some pre-launch images of Hull #3 on their Facebook site. Interesting kelp cutter modifications and rudder cam...

Here is the link with the images:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=295164&id=226906342951&fbid=496521917951

i thought the point of not putting a real bulb on there was to keep the keel from catching stuff and to avoid the cost of a kelp cutter. and, what is adding a kelp cutter going to do for OD?...