Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

In those pics of #3, the sprit is bending a lot more than I normally see. I guess that's all okay.

Unless you want to rig a zero. It's also not helping the top of that chute - which looks like it started off ugly and gets worse with the deflection/lack of luff tension.

[snip]

In those pics of #3, the sprit is bending a lot more than I normally see. I guess that's all okay. And yes, the portlights have that FT-10 look (or SC37).

That looks like a standard amount of bend for a J-boat pole !

In those pics of #3, the sprit is bending a lot more than I normally see. I guess that's all okay.

Unless you want to rig a zero. It's also not helping the top of that chute - which looks like it started off ugly and gets worse with the deflection/lack of luff tension.

If you're serious about rigging a Code Zero then a bobstay is required equipment anyways

If you're serious about rigging a Code Zero then a bobstay is required equipment anyways

Bobstay doesn't look like much of an option with the sprit extending 7 feet past the end of the boat, it is an eight feet pole. We are going to likely custom fabircate and mount a small 6 inch extension on the very nose of the boat (past the bow pulpit). We have measured and we need just that much extension to allow the zero sail to stay clear off the pulpit. The (small) drum of the zero furler will attach to that 6 inch extension. There is enough room to host this zero furler directly on the tip of the bow but then the sail won't clear pulpit in its most trimmed in position. We could do it that way as well and live with the limitation. We have time to research all the options. It obviously affects the exact geometry of the sail, so that needs to be figured out first.

Bobstay doesn't look like much of an option with the sprit extending 7 feet past the end of the boat, it is an eight feet pole. We are going to likely custom fabircate and mount a small 6 inch extension on the very nose of the boat (past the bow pulpit). We have measured and we need just that much extension to allow the zero sail to stay clear off the pulpit. The (small) drum of the zero furler will attach to that 6 inch extension. There is enough room to host this zero furler directly on the tip of the bow but then the sail won't clear pulpit in its most trimmed in position. We could do it that way as well and live with the limitation. We have time to research all the options. It obviously affects the exact geometry of the sail, so that needs to be figured out first.

I'm not questioning your technique but just offering insight here.

The most effective Code Zero I've ever encountered was one designed by North Sails which was tacked to the bale of the retractable pole on a J/Boat. A bobstay was permanently attached the bow just above the waterline and it had a shackle on the end which attached to the pole and was drawn tight when the pole was fully extended. This allowed it to be taken off and attached to the pulpit when we weren't flying the Code Zero. If you wanted to fly the Code Zero then you simply clipped it onto the pole and hoisted the Code Zero normally with significantly reduced deflection in the pole. Worked great even on such a long sprit and it would solve your trimming issues with the pulpit.

The most effective Code Zero I've ever encountered was one designed by North Sails which was tacked to the bale of the retractable pole on a J/Boat. A bobstay was permanently attached the bow just above the waterline and it had a shackle on the end which attached to the pole and was drawn tight when the pole was fully extended. This allowed it to be taken off and attached to the pulpit when we weren't flying the Code Zero. If you wanted to fly the Code Zero then you simply clipped it onto the pole and hoisted the Code Zero normally with significantly reduced deflection in the pole. Worked great even on such a long sprit and it would solve your trimming issues with the pulpit.

This sounds like the way to go - alot easier and less modification than attaching a stubby off the bow. It will also eliminate the heavy air ugliness shown in the above picture.

I wonder what the J's think? Jeff/Rod/Stu - you out there? I'm gonna be sailing one of these with you this summer, and I will whine about the bend.

Hey Ragbag - do you hoist/douse thru the hatch or the cockpit? and are you using a J24 style bag?

This sounds like the way to go - alot easier and less modification than attaching a stubby off the bow. It will also eliminate the heavy air ugliness shown in the above picture.

I wonder what the J's think? Jeff/Rod/Stu - you out there? I'm gonna be sailing one of these with you this summer, and I will whine about the bend.

Hey Ragbag - do you hoist/douse thru the hatch or the cockpit? and are you using a J24 style bag?

We took down through cockpit. I've always taken down through the cockpit because of predominantly sailing short handed. If you have more hands, forward hatch take down is just as good. I don't know what a J/24 bag is like. These are the same rectangular bags I've always used with two velcro-ed flaps that allow the bag to fully open, clip the bag to the boat.

A bobstay is do-able - I have one on my 92. I have a CZ on a Facnor furler that sets from the tip of the extended sprit. You just need a bungee or something on the bobstay to keep it out of the water when you retract the pole. It's also nice if you can adjust the bobstay's tension.

North has some CZ designs that work with a bit softer luff, for just this application.

You'll need some other things - a second non-creep spinny halyard (V-100, Crystaline, etc.) and the same for the sprit control line.

If it was me, I wouldn't start hacking into my new boat (to add a fixed sprit).

Mast allows for second mast head halyard and second jib hailyard. I used to fly a code zero off the J/90 sprit, but you obviously don't get the luff tension you'd want from a code zero. I appreciate the comments here on bobstay, helpful. The bow pulpit is the irritant here, we could also re-weld it to make room for a CZ sail. We had to do that for the J/90 as well to make room for a furler.

Yes, those CZ's you and #19 had weren't the real deal. IMO you would have been better off with a small, flat reaching kite. If you're going to make the investment in a CZ, you want a sail that will get into the range where you're missing a genoa. Reaching in light air is the main purpose - as the apparent wind goes forward you keep trimming until you're well exceeding TWS. The main is on centerline and a reaching kite would have long since collapsed. That's when a CZ is golden. Not something you'll use much on the Bay - more like Windjammers, Spinnaker Cup, Ensenada, etc.

Talk to Pete or Seadon, or Norman.

Gear-wise you may also want some twings to control the leech.

I think J Boats should design in a bobstay now, while they still can.

I could not have said this better. Though I'm not familiar with the names you mentioned ULDBGuy I will suggest that ragbag call up his North rep and ask for a quote on a North CZ.

Yes, those CZ's you and #19 had weren't the real deal. IMO you would have been better off with a small, flat reaching kite.
The A27 never had a true Code-0, nor did the J/90 as I recall..... just very flat reaching kites. Both would have had the same lack of a bobstay problem the J/111 is having now.

Slight hijack but the J111 is over with the SC37 and a couple of J105s if anyone wants to see a real in the flesh comparison.

Sail America, Alameda.

Back to CZs and bob stays.

[snip]

In those pics of #3, the sprit is bending a lot more than I normally see. I guess that's all okay. And yes, the portlights have that FT-10 look (or SC37).

That looks like a standard amount of bend for a J-boat pole !

That pole is 8 ft if I recall,it will bend more than a 105 pole

We took down through cockpit. I've always taken down through the cockpit because of predominantly sailing short handed. If you have more hands, forward hatch take down is just as good. I don't know what a J/24 bag is like. These are the same rectangular bags I've always used with two velcro-ed flaps that allow the bag to fully open, clip the bag to the boat.

The J24 style bag I referenced is a bag with no top thats hung in the companionway into which you jam the chute when you drop it - not the bag it comes with at purchase. Think super-sized version of deck bags on 505's.

Exciting news: the first UK 111 should touch down in Hamble later this week. That's all well and good of course but it's hardly bikini and Pimms weather at the moment.

I wonder if she'll race the last Winter series race this Sunday: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=cowes&day=3

I suspect she will not sail - the boat will be at the London show so putting the mast up prior to Jan is a waste of time and money

Exciting news: the first UK 111 should touch down in Hamble later this week. That's all well and good of course but it's hardly bikini and Pimms weather at the moment.

I wonder if she'll race the last Winter series race this Sunday: http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/dayforecast.asp?zipcode=cowes&day=3

I suspect she will not sail - the boat will be at the London show so putting the mast up prior to Jan is a waste of time and money

She is getting rigged up at HYS as i type and will be racing this sunday i believe.

Holy crap, I can barely understand sailing with our 3-year old rags up, but a new 1/4 of a million boat? Come on.

Doesn't mylar eventually become brittle and crack under the freezing mark? http://www.bramblemet.co.uk/(S(zily4iuohi5gbc453irm0enm))/temp.aspx

Air temp graph tracking below 0 all day, first time I've seen that on south coast. Nice eh!

of course they will sail this weekend, a good publicity stunt if anything.

At this stage in the game their goal should be to get as many prospective owners out on the water as possible so the possible customers can experience the boat and be tempted to get off the fence. I bet that if they get the boat in the water in the Solent and do a number of days of test sails for perspective owners that they rack up another 7+ sales.

of course they will sail this weekend, a good publicity stunt if anything.

Maybe someone just really likes their new J Boat? 55 boats sold can't be wrong!

She is getting rigged up at HYS as i type and will be racing this sunday i believe.

Few questions...Is this the first 111 to go to Europe? Do you know what Hull # she is? Any more talk about J-Boats Europe (France) geting tooling for local production?

Well its entered into the winter series, slotted into the bottom of IRC class zero. With an IRC TCC of 1.091. Will be interesting to see the results when they are published later, although normally the first few races are not that indicative of realistic performance. Anyone have details of what sails they were running?

Not many rockstars onboard either.. lol

still pretty slick sled, had a good goose at it with some other people, very tidy.

She won by 5 mins ... but not the strongest Solent competition she'll face

Results

just over a minute behind the ker 11.3 after 1 hr 35mins of racing is not too shabby, and second on line as the "slowest" boat in the fleet bodes well

I guess we now have the answer to "what's it rate?" as well......

The boat is gorgeous. Boom is WAAAy short, holy cow it's quite peculiar - the rig is very high aspect. Looks a lot like a J-boat at the dock, on the water it was trucking upwind nipping at the heels of the Ker 11.3 (don't know how well sailed the Ker is) but it looked good. It was light wind as well - don't know if that helps the boat or not, but she wasn't able to get up and go in the 7-8 knots of breeze. I don't know the names but there were good sailing on board however the owner steered her with zero time in boat. Every model launch has good sailors: Dickies 36.7, Beneteau had a stripped out 40.7 10 years ago, X35 same, Summit 40s same, Archambault same.

Down below it feel like a cross between a 35 and a 105. Good one J-Boats...

Alec's LN - did they put in a headlining or is it all exposed bolt heads ?

EDIT: Just mkes me think even more it's the boat I'd wish they'd launched ionstead of the 109. Also guyt feel is it's going to do best under IRC W/L when it's light or windy, not in the mid range Solent chop.

did they put in a headlining or is it all exposed bolt heads ?
No headliner as it should be...... they did a very clean job.

pretty good "ON-BOARD" youtube footage of hull # 5 surfing in Halifax...about 4 mins.

pretty good "ON-BOARD" youtube footage of hull # 5 surfing in Halifax...about 4 mins.

ya but I had to mute it after about the second "puff on".....I'd be searching for that button if I was on the boat

Kite drop looks.....interesting. Past the mast on the windward side and down the main hatch. How to keep your sailmaker in Ferraris?

If you're going to douse thru the companionway - to keep bodies out of the bow and on the high side - that looks okay. But then you need a bag in the companionway to stuff it in, otherwise you gotta send someone down to repack when they should be on the rail.

I saw another thing I don't like (besides the sprit bending too much) - the deck mounted bracket/fairlead for the jib sheet. Looks like a great spot for assholes, and will chew through a lot of jib sheets.

haha, that guy calling the puffs really is annoying....who's idea was it for a mute button??

Is there some reason why the wouldn't bring the chute down the front hatch? Much much cleaner.

Is there some reason why the wouldn't bring the chute down the front hatch? Much much cleaner.

When you have crew, you have either option. When short handed, cockpit hatch is where you will be to control all three corners. Once you blow the tackline, kite blows all the way back there anyway. Grab both corners, then start easing halyard.

Invisable Hand sure looked pretty on the water tonight. Flat water, wind @ 5-7 knots +/- a couple. I think SS was at the helm. It'll be fun to hear his impressions.

Seems quite dry given probably about F5 and boat speed prob about 15knots, anyone with more accurate figures. Oh and that puff thing........

When you have crew, you have either option. When short handed, cockpit hatch is where you will be to control all three corners. Once you blow the tackline, kite blows all the way back there anyway. Grab both corners, then start easing halyard.

Even solo I would use the front hatch.

Invisable Hand sure looked pretty on the water tonight. Flat water, wind @ 5-7 knots +/- a couple. I think SS was at the helm. It'll be fun to hear his impressions.
After two days on the water in light wind I can certainly say the boat is not sticky at all. With 9 onboard Saturday it still did very well in the light (4-6k) with boat speed just under true wind, upwind. With 4 onboard Sunday for the Estuary race it was plenty quick up and down the track with 7.2-7.4k upwind in 8-10k true and 7.5-8k downwind in 10k true.

Don't mean to be rude, but I've got to ask "Have you ever taken a spinnaker that's over a hundred square meters in size down by yourself in more than 18 knots of breeze?"

It's not a trivial undertaking and, unless you're using a snuffer, it's best done by using the slot between the foot and the boom as a way to guide it down the main hatch.

Most race boats do this in the ocean once it gets windy, even when fully crewed.

Don't mean to be rude, but I've got to ask "Have you ever taken a spinnaker that's over a hundred square meters in size down by yourself in more than 18 knots of breeze?"

It's not a trivial undertaking and, unless you're using a snuffer, it's best done by using the slot between the foot and the boom as a way to guide it down the main hatch.

Most race boats do this in the ocean once it gets windy, even when fully crewed.

Letterbox! Best drop there is!

\

yep, did it a number of times on the 109 by myself like that. Just gotta watch out for the gooseneck hooks for reefing, evil little fuckers...

Since when does a Moore 24 rate 190?

It doesn't, it rates 150 like the other one, you can do the math on who won that race. They will republish the results.

It doesn't, it rates 150 like the other one, you can do the math on who won that race. They will republish the results.
They said they would correct and repost..... also with the correct name!

A good first showing for the J111 on the SF Bay with a provisional rating of 20..
It was however a race in the protected Estuary in light winds..... but sure shows being sticky is not a problem for this J/boat.

A good first showing for the J111 on the SF Bay with a provisional rating of 20..
It was however a race in the protected Estuary in light winds..... but sure shows being sticky is not a problem for this J/boat.

As a new owner, we were anticipating and hoping for ripping performance reaching in a breeze, and that is now well documented. The more surprising discovery has been how slippery the boat is in light air. Obviously the low wetted surface and high aspect rig help with that but J Boats say it is a complex cocktail of design variables that enable this. It doesn't take much for the boat to power up.

Some commentary from the boat's first race in the UK

J/111 Arabella

To suppliment the commentary Jambalaya posted; a short video teaser from Yachting World. The featured boat is U.K. Hull #6 "ARABELLA."

How do you get a rating of 20? Must be multiple of three. What happened to the 36 to 42 ratings discussed earlier?

It was either suggested by Ragbag/crew or a wild ass guess by the RC. Still won.

That thing is fast.

How do you get a rating of 20? Must be multiple of three. What happened to the 36 to 42 ratings discussed earlier?

That was just a provisional assigned by this race committee to make sure we absolutely positively would not win this particular race ;-) It has nothing to do with a general race handicap. I have submitted paperwork and rating request for a permanent handicap, expecting it to be mid to high 30s based on all the data so far.

Thanks for the clarification. Just wondering. And looking forward to racing you.

Wht are you racing? In SF Bay?

We communicated earlier about J111 price, Trying to lay low but I bought the SailCal SC37yy. See you soon on the bay. Bet you end up in OD fleet, til then looking fwd to some tight racing fun w/ you.

That will be good to see the J111 vs SC37...has anybody done a side by side comparison of #s?

We communicated earlier about J111 price, Trying to lay low but I bought the SailCal SC37yy. See you soon on the bay. Bet you end up in OD fleet, til then looking fwd to some tight racing fun w/ you.

Excellent! And congratulations! I am sure we will have plenty of opportunities to race each other. Even if OD emerges for the 111 which it probably will in a year or two, we will be doing all sorts of mixed fleet racing fun.

IYC Sunday beercan, Jan 9, 2011. 12:55 first gun.

Excellent! And congratulations! I am sure we will have plenty of opportunities to race each other. Even if OD emerges for the 111 which it probably will in a year or two, we will be doing all sorts of mixed fleet racing fun.

Ragbag - Yea this year will be fun. We're planning on racing crewed and doublehanded. Its been a bit frustrating lately as my crummy accountant has talked me into waiting til next year to take possesion. We have a bunch of stuff to sort out to get her (we named her 'Wildcard') up to speed, but we hope to do the Three Bridge Fiasco doublehanded as our first race. Might be fun to get out together with you to do some two boat tuning between now and then though.

I was looking through the ORR Scratch Sheet and a J111 rates 435.1 to Hawaii (Pac Cup) rating. Under ORR we only owe them 7 seconds per mile - but under IRC we rate 1.181. Big swing between the rating rules. Under PHRF we owe the J111 approx 12 seconds per mile off the wind.

They sure seem quick - looking forward to lining up against one. Any news of any coming to SoCal?

Cheers,

opusone

I was looking through the ORR Scratch Sheet and a J111 rates 435.1 to Hawaii (Pac Cup) rating. Under ORR we only owe them 7 seconds per mile - but under IRC we rate 1.181. Big swing between the rating rules. Under PHRF we owe the J111 approx 12 seconds per mile off the wind.

They sure seem quick - looking forward to lining up against one. Any news of any coming to SoCal?

Cheers,

opusone

Hull #3 was delivered to SoCal and raced in the Hot Rum Regatta. Check out the news on JK3 Nautical Enterprises (J-Boat Dealer in SD) Facebook Site (good images of keel kelp cutter and rudder cam). Also, here is a link to some on board footage from a rainy blustery race on 20 November...Kind of looks like Jeff Johnstone triming main...

Cheers,

opusone

Hull #3 was delivered to SoCal and raced in the Hot Rum Regatta. Check out the news on JK3 Nautical Enterprises (J-Boat Dealer in SD) Facebook Site (good images of keel kelp cutter and rudder cam). Also, here is a link to some on board footage from a rainy blustery race on 20 November...Kind of looks like Jeff Johnstone triming main...

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=111369&view=findpost&p=3076412

That will be good to see the J111 vs SC37...has anybody done a side by side comparison of #s?

From the websites

J111 SC37

Loa 36 .5 37

Lwl 32.7 35

Beam 10.8 10.46

Draft 7.0 7.5

Disp 9300 9560

Sail Area 663 725

I saw both of the on the hard but not at the same time. My impression is that the SC37 had a little narrower beam at the waterline, and the run aft was a little flatter.

Been wrong before.:rolleyes:

Composit Wheel option for the J-111...

post-23683-042564100 1292987798_thumb.jpg

post-23683-030329700 1292987826_thumb.jpg

post-23683-071991200 1292987847_thumb.jpg

post-23683-052272700 1292987869_thumb.jpg

Fugly.

Y-spoke is the only way to go with that gem.

That shit is Euro-trashy.

DG

I like the wheel but then again I like Euro-trash. :P

Fugly.

DG

I agree the y-spoke a la J122 is more attractive. I remember the first J122's had the traditional wheel and then they all switched to the y-spoke.

Fugly.

DG

I agree the y-spoke a la J122 is more attractive. I remember the first J122's had the traditional wheel and then they all switched to the y-spoke.

My only issue with the black wheels was that they got hot in the summer sun. The standard wheels were fairly comfortable to steer with though.

Fugly.

DG

I like the wheel but then again I like Euro-trash. :P

When we first inquired about a composit wheel option for the 111 the thought was to use the readiliy available Lewmar Carbon (Y-Spoke) wheel; 1500 MM diameter /3 Kg. It looks very similar to the wheels used on the 122 and 124...however, not sure if Lewmar was the OEM for those models. We were informed later that J-Boats had their own composit wheel option coming out starting with Hull #12. I am guessing the move away from the Y-spoke may have been weight related (less material). Additionally, the cost for the factory option from J-Boats is about 1/3 of the retail price of the Lewmar Carbon wheel. There is a small weight consession as well. We're confident it will function well and look great.

J/Boats news site is saying that the first One Design North American Championships will be at KWRW in 2012.

maybe by then I'll have won the lottery :P

Was organizing stuff over the holidays and re-read this summer's article in SW which mentioned that the 111 would come with Hall carbon spars featuring new "nano tube" technology. So, how are you early adopters digging the new spars?

Was organizing stuff over the holidays and re-read this summer's article in SW which mentioned that the 111 would come with Hall carbon spars featuring new "nano tube" technology. So, how are you early adopters digging the new spars?

Two things stand out so far: 1) incredibly light weight and 2) incredibly stiff

Great. Good for you and good luck with the boat, I think its great.

Have you spoken to the J's about the pole?

Has J-Boats put out a sail plan with dimensions; I P E etc...?

North Sails North America has posted some specific dimension information relative to the J-111 Class Sail Development Program. Link:

http://www.na.northsails.com/SailProducts/ClassSailDevelopment/J111/J111Sails/tabid/22103/Default.aspx

It is interesting to note that in North America the spec is for 3DL 860 (Carbon/Aramid); on the North UK Site (link below) they are referenceing 3DL 580 (Carbon/Technora).

http://www.northsails.com/SailProducts/OffshoreOneDesign/J111/J111Sails/tabid/22213/language/en-US/Default.aspx

North Sails North America has posted some specific dimension information relative to the J-111 Class Sail Development Program. Link:

http://www.na.norths...03/Default.aspx

It is interesting to note that in North America the spec is for 3DL 860 (Carbon/Aramid); on the North UK Site (link below) they are referenceing 3DL 580 (Carbon/Technora).

http://www.northsail...US/Default.aspx

if you went into north uk and said i want north 3di sails for my 111 they would make them, it's just what north uk suggest for the uk and 860 is what north na suggest

if you went into north uk and said i want north 3di sails for my 111 they would make them, it's just what north uk suggest for the uk and 860 is what north na suggest

But that doesn't really explain why different branches of North recommend different types of cloth for the same boat and spar, does it? I wonder why? Is there a cost difference, a handling difference, an aesthetic difference???

Agreed; we considered 3Di for #17 but determined the 860's better fit our needs and capabilities.

But that doesn't really explain why different branches of North recommend different types of cloth for the same boat and spar, does it? I wonder why? Is there a cost difference, a handling difference, an aesthetic difference???

The following link provides a very good high level overview of the North 3dl sail types (that addresses your questions).

http://nsdnn.northsails.com/SailBetter/NorthSailsQA/tabid/13345/aff/2/aft/156/afv/topic/Default.aspx

And thanks to BLUR's fantastic overview of 3di you can learn about that (relatively) new technology as well. I belive North republished BLUR's article on their web site.

http://www.blur.se/2010/04/26/north-sails-3di-english-version/