Editor

J/111 Goes Sailing...

I'm betting J/Boats at least ASKS the owners to sail PHRF for the same reason Kontiki V sailed PHRF at KWRW; they don't want the boat potentially getting spanked under IRC at a national event which could possibly slow down sales.

Do you think so? What happens in the UK and Europe where there is only IRC?

They will likely buy them with the intention of trying hard under IRC while hoping to establish a One Design fleet. J/Boats however is probably looking at the rest of the US and saying "there's only IRC racing in about 1/4 of the country, lets not target it specifically for the IRC racers".

Where is this Europe with only IRC? As far as I know there is ORC, HN, RN, DH, LYS, SRS, several different Yardsticks etc in Europe. Even in UK there is an option to IRC and in most other European countries IRC is not the most common system.

Where is this Europe with only IRC? As far as I know there is ORC, HN, RN, DH, LYS, SRS, several different Yardsticks etc in Europe. Even in UK there is an option to IRC and in most other European countries IRC is not the most common system.

Uhh lets see. IRC in Europe... I dunno... only the entirety of the channel region and most of the UK. There are practically more boats racing IRC in that stretch of water than everywhere else in the entire world combined.

I'm betting J/Boats at least ASKS the owners to sail PHRF for the same reason Kontiki V sailed PHRF at KWRW; they don't want the boat potentially getting spanked under IRC at a national event which could possibly slow down sales.

PHRF for BIRW is open to boats with a rating of 90 or higher - who will they race against? How many 111's are expected - off hand I know of 2. I think it would be far more embarrassing for a 111 to lose to Hustler than it would be to lose to boats in the IRC 35 or 40 class. :lol:

PHRF for BIRW is open to boats with a rating of 90 or higher - who will they race against? How many 111's are expected - off hand I know of 2. I think it would be far more embarrassing for a 111 to lose to Hustler than it would be to lose to boats in the IRC 35 or 40 class. :lol:

The concept, as explained to me, was that 5 or 6 would possibly show up and be sub-scored within the fleet.

PHRF or IRC? don't care - there won't be any embarassment. At least I hope not.

snapback.pngjackolantern, on 03 March 2011 - 09:13 PM, said:

Uhh lets see. IRC in Europe... I dunno... only the entirety of the channel region and most of the UK. There are practically more boats racing IRC in that stretch of water than everywhere else in the entire world combined.

Well, so far the UK J111 has competed in the last race of the Hamble Winter Series. The class didn't contain any really meaningful IRC competition, the breeze turned inside out & peaked at 8 knots, she won.

She's done a day of the Royal Southampton YC frostbite series under their local handicapping system, possibly because there's a pretty competitive J109 sailing the IRC classs she'd be in. She won both races.

She has entered the Warsash Sping series, but will most likely be in the top IRC class where, as per the Winter Series, I'd question the standard of competition against a 'works' team. Will be interesting to see how she gets on, I suspect if its light or very breezy she'll more than hold her own in that class..

Interestingly, she hasn't entered the Spring Championships which the competitive IRC big boats turn up for. This is supposedly due to the fact she's getting set for a full RORC offshore series under IRC, for which she's had a few mods - tuf luf in lieu of furler, bobstay and jib in haulers (in haulers may be OD - not sure). From a quick scan of the RORC calender I can't see what's on those weekends though.

I take the above to mean the boat is being marketed to her strengths before the OD racing kicks in, which it looks very likely it will - and why would they do anything else?

I agree and disagree. There is some interesting competition in the IRC bracket of the warsash spring series. So will be a good indicator, sure if its a works team they should do well, but there are some decent known boats that shouldn't be discounted. Though I agree from a marketing point they are playing to its strenghts, Will be interesting to see it offshore.

It's hard to see from the results on the web as Warsash can't seem to sort out a decent way of seperating the IRC1 division for the series with the Big boat Championships. The same applies to the entry list for this year where they've currently got all the big boat championship entries showing as series entrants.

However last year there where basically 3 boats competing in the IRC1 division of the series - Jolly Jellyfish (J122) British Soldier (A40 RC) & Artemis (GS43B). In the last two races of the series, which are scored with the big boat championship entries, they managed respectively 20,10, DNF & OOT, 17 & 4 from 20 odd starters. In one of the races of the series Jinja (a J122 that is on the pace) turned up and beat them by 20, 30 & 37 minutes in a 3 hour race. I suspect it will be a similar story this year.

So I don't disagree with you that there's good IRC competition at Warsash, it's just not in IRC 1 of the weekly series.

Offshore I think she'll do just fine.

Looks like some decent competition in the from of Quokka 8 and Tokoloshe for the spring series assuming she ends up in IRC 1, both a similar rating and a bit bigger and therefore quicker to the top mark.

I wouldn't read to much into the Royal Southampton races as the the course is so short in my experiance and the crew work etc becomes so much more important. Also getting a bloody container ship coming up at the wrong time can make all the difference.

Pretty sure Quokka isn't doing the series, but is doing BB champs. Not sure about Tokoloshe, but suspect it's the same,as I know it is for a number of other boats currently listed under IRC 1, hence my comment about Warsash being unable to separate Series with Championships.

I'm not reading too much into RSYC results, other than the J111 won both that she's entered, but hasn't sailed against the 109.

That's pretty much my point - she's currently got a 100% record of wins in races started, which is good for marketing, but just as at KWRW, they haven't been wins against top flight IRC competition. This strategy is further confirmed by the fact she isn't entered in the Warsash Big Boat championships.

It's an observation, not a criticism, top flight IRC probably isn't what the boat is about, although I'm also pretty sure that J-Uk were more than happy with the rating. The fact it's holding it's own is encouraging and it's going to be interesting to see how she does in the Warsash series.

Ragbag -

When do you bring the boat down to Newport Beach or are you going to leave her in Long Beach before the race.

Cheers,

opusone

Boat is going down to Newport, don't know yet exactly when, depends on work still in progress and weather window.

Is the boat down in Newport Now? Good Luck in the Race to Cabo.

Cheers,

opusone

Is the boat down in Newport Now? Good Luck in the Race to Cabo.
Yeah. Thanks.

Also wishing you guys on INVISIBLE HAND the best of luck in the Cabo Race!

Hey SS, were you still in transit when the Tsunami rolled through; any observations? Seemed like not too much to observe in SoCal. Santa Cruz Harbor got popped pretty good however...

http://www.warsashspringseries.org.uk/2011/results/blackgroup11.htm

Fifth place although it looks like it was a big boat race.

Difficult on the start line with those other boats I suspect.

I don't think you can read anything into that result. Very light winds with big holes this week. We were fully parked with all the zeros on the log for about 20 min. Obviously a lovely 12 knots filled in as we motored in...

Coming after the lightest winter series ever, this is getting a bit tedious...

#17 is in the house...she arrived yesterday to the SF Bay area. Target is to have her sailing early in April. Hopefully the first of many SF Bay sister ships for trail blazer Rag Bag's #4 Invisible Hand.

A couple iPhone images will be posted shortly

#17 image

post-23683-007937300 1300649619_thumb.jpg

#17 optional Carbonautica wheel...light and stiff.

post-23683-025096200 1300650450_thumb.jpg

#17 optional Carbonautica wheel...light and stiff.

Call me a J/Boats fanboy but that wheel is a whole lot of sexy.

Kind of hard to see it through the bubble wrap but the fit and finish of the wheel is really quite nice. It is a carbon and glass fiber composite so not as light as a full carbon wheel(like the y-spoke Lewmar or McConaghy)but it is about 1/3 the cost and a J-111 factory option. J-Boats said it was a couple of pounds heavier...works for us!

Kind of hard to see it through the bubble wrap but the fit and finish of the wheel is really quite nice. It is a carbon and glass fiber composite so not as light as a full carbon wheel(like the y-spoke Lewmar or McConaghy)but it is about 1/3 the cost and a J-111 factory option. J-Boats said it was a couple of pounds heavier...works for us!

McConaghy wheels aren't as expensive as you would think. About twice the expense of Edson, and better looking IMHO. $3,800 shipped to your door from the land down unda.

Boat looks great, and congratulations.

DG

Congrats on #17. I'm looking forward to #25 scheduled to be delivered early April.

What are your commissioning plans? Bottom prep, instruments, etc.?

McConaghy wheels aren't as expensive as you would think. About twice the expense of Edson, and better looking IMHO. $3,800 shipped to your door from the land down unda.

DG

Hey DG, thanks very much for the note and the info on McConaghy.

I think I mentioned this before (sorry for the repeat) but prior to knowing about J-Boats own(OEM)composite wheel option (which is manufactured by Carbonautica in Slovenia); the only carbon wheel I was able to find pricing on in a 60" diameter was the Lewmar Carbon y-spoke which retails for $5800.00. At that number we were definitely going to opt for the very nice, leather wraped J/111 Edson wheel.

When we learned that J-Boats was offering the composite Carbonautica option at $1950.00 and saw some of the renderings we were in.

Now that we have been able to put our hands on it we're glad we made the decision.

Congrats on #17. I'm looking forward to #25 scheduled to be delivered early April.

What are your commissioning plans? Bottom prep, instruments, etc.?

Hey Goblew,

Thanks for the note. Congrats to you on your forthcoming #25!

I'll be happy to give you more detail in a PM if you wish...but here is a high level overview:

We opted for a(moderate)racing bottom which was completed by International Marine(George Borges)in Bristiol RI before transit to SF Bay.

Electronics: B&G h3000; 3ea. 20/20s @ mast, 2ea. GFD's & 1ea. analog AWA @ sea hood; Zeus w sonic hub.@ nav.; AIS.

Wireless network for iPad mobile repeater

Simrad VHF @ Nav, remote at helm

Simrad Auto Pilot

Rigging: Vang change from single line cam release at mast base to two lines lead aft (P & S) to cabintop cam cleats @ cockpit. This change was made to #4 and works much better in our breezy conditions here in SF.

Sails: given a long time relatonship with the local North rep we went with North class sails.

Many options out there; we have recieved a ton of good coaching from our Pro/Broker at Sail California and Rag Bag from this forum who has had us out sailing multiple times on #4 Invisible Hand.

Best of luck!

DG

Hey DG, thanks very much for the note and the info on McConaghy.

I think I mentioned this before (sorry for the repeat) but prior to knowing about J-Boats own(OEM)composite wheel option (which is manufactured by Carbonautica in Slovenia); the only carbon wheel I was able to find pricing on in a 60" diameter was the Lewmar Carbon y-spoke which retails for $5800.00. At that number we were definitely going to opt for the very nice, leather wraped J/111 Edson wheel.

When we learned that J-Boats was offering the composite Carbonautica option at $1950.00 and saw some of the renderings we were in.

Now that we have been able to put our hands on it we're glad we made the decision.

I'm a self afflicted wheel aficionado. My wife hopped on a boat with a set of twin carbon fiber wheels and proceeded to say 'now... I get it.'

They look great, and feel even better.

Well done on the new boat, and don't forget to post some pics every now and again....

DG

Boat #1 Stella had a good light airs workout over the weekend in the Auckland BMW regatta. I'm told it was in the toughest division and took series line over a well sailed hot rodded Mumm 36 and Elliot 1050. The regatta was sailed on NZ PHRF which is a pure performance based time on time formula. No resemlance to US TOD.

I thought we'd have seen a report as it has been looking good on the water.

How does the J111 rate in PHRF against the Beneteau First 40? I noticed the J111 finished behind one in the Newport to Cabo race which was a relatively light air race for their fleet. I was surprised. I expected the J111 to be a rocket off the wind and much faster than the IRC oriented Beneteau. I would imagine the Beneteau will go to weather better and faster around the buoys but thought it would be smoked on point to point ocean races by the new J.

Looks to me like the J111 Invisible Hand sailed a lot more distance then the B40 Naos Two when looking at the race track. Also there seemed to be a day or so of very light air upwind sailing. Both averaged 7.3 kts for the course.

http://cloud.iboattrack.com/r/start.php?r=2011_newportbeach_cabo

http://www.nhyc.org/files/2011_Cabo_Standings.pdf

Hopefully the crew or owner will shed some more light on the race.

They got third overall, I suspect they're quite happy with their performance.

Well done.

Thanks Trev. Pretty pleased overall.

LOTS of upwind work. We started Saturday and on Monday afternoon we still were working the Light#1 in <7k or the Code-0. Basically we were water-lined for a majority of the race. In one day of running we made up a lot of ground and if one of the other days were true running we would have stretched. To give you an idea a J/124 rates 24 in Norcal and we rate 36 (the fastest PHRF rated issued for the J/111) and with the ORR rating we owned them time. I didn't find it disappointing to lose to a proven hull design (First 40 = 1st overall Sydney-Hobart) and finish boat for boat with the First 50 in our 36.5ft boat on a majority upwind race.

Solosailor/Ragbag. Could you give us some idea of the speeds you were doing downwind in different windspeeds and did the boat tend to stay on her feet when the wind got up? What sails did you use in what windspeeds and how you liked that nifty code zero you have setup.

Also, after doing 700 offshore miles worth of racing in one sitting are there any comments/changes in regards to how the boat is for distance racing? Is it functional an offshore boat or are there modifications you would do before taking it on a distance race again (for instance adding pipe type births or removing the furler, etc).

Solosailor/Ragbag. Could you give us some idea of the speeds you were doing downwind in different windspeeds and did the boat tend to stay on her feet when the wind got up? What sails did you use in what windspeeds and how you liked that nifty code zero you have setup.

Also, after doing 700 offshore miles worth of racing in one sitting are there any comments/changes in regards to how the boat is for distance racing? Is it functional an offshore boat or are there modifications you would do before taking it on a distance race again (for instance adding pipe type births or removing the furler, etc).

With six crew, I thought the boat was quite manageable. We slept and ate well. Crew (of 6 total) commented how comfortable the boat was. We used the code zero a lot in light air forward-of-the-beam sailing, worked great. We had stay sail up with the big runner all the time when the breeze was getting past mid teens. We also have a light air #1 head sail that performed very well upwind. The last day when the winds finally became what we were rated for, the sailing was absolutely epic. The boat was continually planing and surfing big waves. We spun out a few times of course, but the boat doesn't broach violently and lay over hard, it is quite easy to get control back. I compared the down hill sailing to deep powder skiing, very gentle, but the boat was like a dog with a bone, it just wanted to go all the time. Our down wind speeds most of the time were in the low- mid teens, peaking at 18. We had the A2 (big runner) up most of the time. We put up the A3 (110 sq. meter) kite when breeze started to push past 25 kts. last night and we were surprised how little speed we sacrificed and the boat was just rock solid in the conditions with that smaller kite. We made up huge the last day on the fleet, we were only a good hour out of second overall which we would have made up had the race lasted a few hours longer. It was very apparent from post race chatter that none of this went unnoticed.

With six crew, I thought the boat was quite manageable. We slept and ate well. Crew (of 6 total) commented how comfortable the boat was. We used the code zero a lot in light air forward-of-the-beam sailing, worked great. We had stay sail up with the big runner all the time when the breeze was getting past mid teens. We also have a light air #1 head sail that performed very well upwind. The last day when the winds finally became what we were rated for, the sailing was absolutely epic. The boat was continually planing and surfing big waves. We spun out a few times of course, but the boat doesn't broach violently and lay over hard, it is quite easy to get control back. I compared the down hill sailing to deep powder skiing, very gentle, but the boat was like a dog with a bone, it just wanted to go all the time. Our down wind speeds most of the time were in the low- mid teens, peaking at 18. We had the A2 (big runner) up most of the time. We put up the A3 (110 sq. meter) kite when breeze started to push past 25 kts. last night and we were surprised how little speed we sacrificed and the boat was just rock solid in the conditions with that smaller kite. We made up huge the last day on the fleet, we were only a good hour out of second overall which we would have made up had the race lasted a few hours longer. It was very apparent from post race chatter that none of this went unnoticed.

Thanks very much, sounds like the boat will be a real dream in a blow. That said I have a followup question for you. How did the boat feel/perform in the light stuff and what sorts of numbers were you seeing in those conditions?

Also I'm glad to hear that the Code Zero worked out for you. Miracle sails aren't they?

Thanks very much, sounds like the boat will be a real dream in a blow. That said I have a followup question for you. How did the boat feel/perform in the light stuff and what sorts of numbers were you seeing in those conditions?

Also I'm glad to hear that the Code Zero worked out for you. Miracle sails aren't they?

The boat needs a code zero as it does not have a genoa (non-verlapping head sail rig). In light air, we would be sailing at 80-90% of wind speed most of the time. The code zero would sometimes push boat speed past wind speed. Even though we lacked water line in this race, we moved well for our length when the wind was forward of the beam. We sailed into Cedros Bay, anticipating pressure to die on us on the outside as was the forecast. Big mistake, most boats passed us on the outside until we clawed our way out of the bay. The last 24 hours we had great down wind pressure, and made up a lot of our earlier losses on the fleet.

The boat needs a code zero as it does not have a genoa (non-verlapping head sail rig). In light air, we would be sailing at 80-90% of wind speed most of the time. The code zero would sometimes push boat speed past wind speed. Even though we lacked water line in this race, we moved well for our length when the wind was forward of the beam. We sailed into Cedros Bay, anticipating pressure to die on us on the outside as was the forecast. Big mistake, most boats passed us on the outside until we clawed our way out of the bay. The last 24 hours we had great down wind pressure, and made up a lot of our earlier losses on the fleet.

any video from the cabo race?

opusone

Ragbag - belated congrats on the result, the last days sailing sounds like a blast - what I reckon the boat was made for.

Out of geeky interest - the UK 111, has a purchase (6:1 from a quick glimpse) rigged on the inboard end of the pole out line. It's mounted on the forward internal bulkhead, the idea being to increase the outward force of the pole against the bobstay and stabilise the pole for the code 0 luff tension - have you guys done this? How did you find the pole bend/luff tension?

Out of geeky interest - the UK 111, has a purchase (6:1 from a quick glimpse) rigged on the inboard end of the pole out line. It's mounted on the forward internal bulkhead, the idea being to increase the outward force of the pole against the bobstay and stabilise the pole for the code 0 luff tension - have you guys done this? How did you find the pole bend/luff tension? ?
We have a purpose build Code-0 Prod since the pole does not allow for a centered tack until fully deployed which is to long.

Very nice - funny how the grins came out at 17 knots ! :-)

So is the pole too long for the best Code 0 shape/design or too long for the forces involved?

I'm really really looking forward to my first breezy downhill slide on a 111. My current boatspeed record is 16.8 and I'm looking to go higher B)

Very nice - funny how the grins came out at 17 knots ! :-)

So is the pole too long for the best Code 0 shape/design or too long for the forces involved?

I think we've had this debate already at nauseum. The code zero is already a large sail set on our prod. It gets trimmed most of the way in and the clew comes all the way back like a lareg genoa, Had the sail's geometry been designed for the sprit it would have made the sail that much bigger and carried the whole canvas way forward from where it is designed to be. Rememeber that this boat wasn't designed for a code zero to begin with.

We'll be doing a HD 1080p walkthrough and review of the J/111 in Charleston. Please let me know if there's anything that isn't obvious that you think I should highlight. Big ups to J/Boats for sponsoring OTWA - Charleston...

First very general impressions of the boat on the hard:

• Cockpit will be great. Big and good for crew work.
  • The interior is very nicely minimalized and set up for racing. Losing the V-Berth and headliner will turn out to be good things.
  • For distance racing the pilot berths are going to be a good thing.

More as I think of them but now that I've stepped foot on a finished boat I'm very excited.

And yes this will out my account to our owner, oh well. Hey there!!

What you get for spilling your mouth and the RUM all the time...

First very general impressions of the boat on the hard:

• Cockpit will be great. Big and good for crew work.
  • The interior is very nicely minimalized and set up for racing. Losing the V-Berth and headliner will turn out to be good things.
  • For distance racing the pilot berths are going to be a good thing.

More as I think of them but now that I've stepped foot on a finished boat I'm very excited.

And yes this will out my account to our owner, oh well. Hey there!!

What you get for spilling your mouth and the RUM all the time...

Be nice Bill!! There are people watching now....

111 not looking too good after the 1st 3 races in Charleston. Uh-oh.... :ph34r:

...And ended up second in class behind a 122...so now looking pretty good;)

I'm one of the owners of the 111 at CRW (Velocity). Friday was the first time the crew had raced together and on a new boat so there were communication and coordination things that needed to be figured out. The weather was something of a factor too, there was a lot of chop and the heavier boats seemed to carry through it better with their greater momentum. The winds weren't quite heavy enough to get the boat up on a plane so combining that with the bigger boats ability to carry speed through the waves made it challenging.

As you can see from the Sunday results, things got a lot smoother once we had some time on the water together to learn the boat and each other. The winds were lighter and the water was pretty flat so being lighter helped out us out, we were able to overtake a lot of boats including at least one J/130 from the PHRF A start! I thought we had a shot at Gambler on the last race but it wasn't to be, those guys were dialed in and did a great job.

Overall we were very pleased with the boat!

+ 10 for the Owner.

We were nearby on the 36.7 SD and can attest to the lighter boats not sailing as well as the heavier boats. Sail Safe!

Now you know what to do....

firestarter - welcome, thanks for posting, it's really great to have input direct from people aboard.

I'm one of the owners of the 111 at CRW (Velocity). Friday was the first time the crew had raced together and on a new boat so there were communication and coordination things that needed to be figured out. The weather was something of a factor too, there was a lot of chop and the heavier boats seemed to carry through it better with their greater momentum. The winds weren't quite heavy enough to get the boat up on a plane so combining that with the bigger boats ability to carry speed through the waves made it challenging.

As you can see from the Sunday results, things got a lot smoother once we had some time on the water together to learn the boat and each other. The winds were lighter and the water was pretty flat so being lighter helped out us out, we were able to overtake a lot of boats including at least one J/130 from the PHRF A start! I thought we had a shot at Gambler on the last race but it wasn't to be, those guys were dialed in and did a great job.

Congrats on you new ride and thanks for the observations. Looking forward to racing against one of those soon.

Cheers,

opusone

Nice job and good luck with the new ride! BTW, I'll be sailing on your old boat this season, the j92.

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and it's fun to be able to talk about our experiences on the water. We're going to be running a good racing campaign this year (largely on the Chesapeake) so I'll hope to meet some of you at the events!

Lee G: Congrats on your purchase! That J/92 was a ton of fun, I sailed it constantly last year and it was super easy to manage. We raced it, day-sailed it and even did a little cruising around the bay. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

Thanks for the welcome guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and it's fun to be able to talk about our experiences on the water. We're going to be running a good racing campaign this year (largely on the Chesapeake) so I'll hope to meet some of you at the events!

Lee G: Congrats on your purchase! That J/92 was a ton of fun, I sailed it constantly last year and it was super easy to manage. We raced it, day-sailed it and even did a little cruising around the bay. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

Thanks, not my purchase but I'll be crewing with them. Its better not having to sign the checks... :D

Its better not having to sign the checks... :D

Truer words have not been spoken here ;-)

Its better not having to sign the checks... :D

Truer words have not been spoken here ;-)

+1

Crew=fun

Owner = hold pickle dish on occasion.

The UK J/111 raced the RORC Easter Regatta (IRC windward/leeward) - it's a "training event" with on and off the water coaching - however it's generally a pretty high standard. Lightish air event, J/111 finished mid-class - stunning to see a Prima 38 win (I though't they'd mostly fallen apart). She beat the more cruisey boats (Elan 41 and Grand Soleil 43) which are heavy and wouldn't handle as well around the really short courses usually set. I don't know how good a crew was on the J/111.

RORC Easter Regatta - Results

Better IRC test for the boat will come in first offshore race this coming weekend.

As far as east coast sailing goes, two J111's at two major(PHRF) events(KWRW and CRW), finishing 1st and 2nd respectively.

Both boats, out of the box with crews first time sailing the boat. Looks like the initial rating of 42 is very kind.

Does anyone know if the CRW crew were pros or amatuers? I was told on the light air day the 111 was beating some of the 122's boat for boat.

As far as east coast sailing goes, two J111's at two major(PHRF) events(KWRW and CRW), finishing 1st and 2nd respectively.

Both boats, out of the box with crews first time sailing the boat. Looks like the initial rating of 42 is very kind.

Does anyone know if the CRW crew were pros or amatuers? I was told on the light air day the 111 was beating some of the 122's boat for boat.

We have a rating of 36 in San Francisco, with a down wind number of 21. We sailed the Cabo race against the new Farr design of the Beneteau First 40 which rates 24 most places (faster than the 122 in part because it has a large overlapping headsail). After 800 nm we finished a few boat lengths ahead. We owed them time under the ORR measurement system and corrected to second in class as this race is supposed to be a down wind affair (it was not this year). Upwind they had water line on us, but down wind we were visibly walking away from them. Once the J/111 turns the corner, displacement boats can't lay a finger on it.

We have a rating of 36 in San Francisco, with a down wind number of 21. We sailed the Cabo race against the new Farr design of the Beneteau First 40 which rates 24 most places (faster than the 122 in part because it has a large overlapping headsail). After 800 nm we finished a few boat lengths ahead. We owed them time under the ORR measurement system and corrected to second in class as this race is supposed to be a down wind affair (it was not this year). Upwind they had water line on us, but down wind we were visibly walking away from them. Once the J/111 turns the corner, displacement boats can't lay a finger on it.

So you are sayin' that the 111 is not a displacement boat? Really?

SF Bay sister ship to RagBag's #4 INVISIBLE HAND...newly commissioned by Sail California...#17 MAD MEN spreading her wings a couple of weeks ago on her shakedown...hit 15.5 knots effotlessly surfing back in the Gate...One sweet ride...

post-23683-020815000 1303868877_thumb.jpg

The J/111 is a displacement boat until she breaks loose and planes. So, perhaps call her a semi-displacement boat. Even my Finn and Laser are displacement boats in light breeze.

Whats interesting is the J124 that sailed KWRW was helmed by Rod Johnstone. The J111 beat them boat for boat in most races. The J124 rates 30.

The UK J/111 raced the RORC Easter Regatta (IRC windward/leeward) - it's a "training event" with on and off the water coaching - however it's generally a pretty high standard. Lightish air event, J/111 finished mid-class - stunning to see a Prima 38 win (I though't they'd mostly fallen apart). She beat the more cruisey boats (Elan 41 and Grand Soleil 43) which are heavy and wouldn't handle as well around the really short courses usually set. I don't know how good a crew was on the J/111.

Better IRC test for the boat will come in first offshore race this coming weekend.

http://www.rorc.org/raceresults/2011/ircoverall02.html

Looking at the results I'm guessing it was a medium breeze race, favoring in general the big boats. Didn't do badly then but going to struggle to beat a 122 though with that handicap.

http://www.rorc.org/...coverall02.html

Looking at the results I'm guessing it was a medium breeze race, favoring in general the big boats. Didn't do badly then but going to struggle to beat a 122 though with that handicap.

it was a light to medium breeze event, never saw over 15kts of wind all regatta

the 111 did very well in the offshore race considering it was a medium airs downwind start with 30 mile 15-25kts beat followed by 80ish mile fetch/close reach with a beat to finish with more 15-25kts of wind to le harve. race distance 125 miles

We did the RORC race and got some feedback from the J111

The race was a 15 mile run in 12-15 knots, then a tide dodging beat of about 30 miles and then a beat / fetch of 80 odd miles

The J111 was one of the first class 1 boats to catch us on beat so the boat was quick downwind which we all know. She held her own for the beat doing very well when it got light (5-7 knots) with lots of short tacking, again no surprise as she'll power up quickly in any puffs and be nimble. At that stage the J111 could well have been leading. The long fetch isn't going to suit as that's a waterline contest - had it been possible to fly kites I think the J111 could well have won. As it was they got a pretty decent result.

Ragbag, you mentioned you have a Code Zero. What's the story with that? Namely

• Who built it?
  • How are you flying it?
  • Do you see the need for a bobstay?
  • How does the boat like it?

Thanks

See picture of the setup attached. It was built by a frequent contributor to this forum. We just completed it this week, and flew the code zero a lot during the 3BF race. It has a bobstay as you can see. It is a great setup in light breeze, boat powers up rapidly with the big sail. The carbon fiber prod is affectionately known as the strap-on. It can come off for OD sailing if need be.

Ragbag,

I see the bobstay connects to the port side of the bow... What did you use as an attachment there? A pad eye? a through hull bushing into the anchor compartment?

Also, if the guy who built this would be willing to produce these for other J/111s I am thinking we would buy a strap on as well. Have him post his contact info or username.

Ragbag, you mentioned you have a Code Zero. What's the story with that? Namely

• Who built it?
  • How are you flying it?
  • Do you see the need for a bobstay?
  • How does the boat like it?

Thanks

See picture of the setup attached. It was built by a frequent contributor to this forum. We just completed it this week, and flew the code zero a lot during the 3BF race. It has a bobstay as you can see. It is a great setup in light breeze, boat powers up rapidly with the big sail. The carbon fiber prod is affectionately known as the strap-on. It can come off for OD sailing if need be.

Ragbag,

I see the bobstay connects to the port side of the bow... What did you use as an attachment there? A pad eye? a through hull bushing into the anchor compartment?

Also, if the guy who built this would be willing to produce these for other J/111s I am thinking we would buy a strap on as well. Have him post his contact info or username.

Bobstay is on dead center of the boat. Solosailor built the strap-on prod, he has posted on this thread several times, did a great job. We did create an opening into the anchor well.

For what it's worth, I found this in my periodic perusal of french sailing sites from this site:

http://perso.numericable.fr/blstepha/index.htm

english translation available.

My reaction - looks a bit conservative based on what I've read of actual performance.

Thoughts?

Forward of the beam, not that far off, a little faster with a code zero up hitting 9s and 10s 75-90 dgrees, wind speed 10-20. Aft of the beam, yes, the boat is faster than what this depicts. With 20 kts. of breeze reaching the boat will oscillate from low to mid teens, occassionaly hiting high teens. 25kts, sustained mid teens, peaking at high teens.

The J/111 will be coming in this weekend. We are going with the Tacktick Micronet system and was wondering where other boats had placed their transducers. Is there a good spot to mount the transducer? is anyone unhappy with where they mounted the speedometer?

Found this on tackticks FAQ...

Where do I mount my transducers?

We do not recommend locations or methods for installations for speed or depth tansducers however most boats find that in front of the keel by at least 400mm and as close to the centre line works well. The depth transducer can be mounted in hull or through hull but you will find for best performance through hull is required. Do not mount the depth transducer directly behind the speed transducer as turbulence caused by the paddle wheel may effect depth performance. Compass transducers should be mounted as close to the centre of the boat as possible but keeping them in an area where there is little or no local magnetic material. Keep clear of ferrous metals, pumps and motors, loud speakers and tools. If the compass transducer is hidden from view then mark the area with a warning to prevent people storing metalic material close by.

Found this too, but it looks like they added a bulge to the hull to make it fit.

post-38195-036720700 1305207255_thumb.jpg

Saw this pic previously and that's my assumption as well - custom bulge.

Mine will be just under forward berth ( kind of normal positions - 2 transducers on each side of centerline)

What hull number and where do you sail?

big pimpin'

J/HD

We finally had a chance to put some of our Charleston Race Week video of the new J/111 together to give you the first HD walkthrough of the strong-selling new one design racer. Headroom, cabinets, deck hardware and layout, offshore capability - all in 1080p if your computer can handle it. Learn more about the boat here, or go to the thread in J/Anarchy for tons more. Thanks to Penalty Box Productions for the vid and to J/Boats, Evolution Sails, and Gill for their support of this kind of On-The-Water Anarchy coverage.

jboats.com says the boat is 11.0 meters/36.5 feet long. But 11.0 meters is 36.1 feet.

I am really sorry to rain on anyones new boat release, BUT I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

SORRY, But just had to go there!Again!!!!!!

2 j/111 in my area. Im not quite sure yet about it , the 109 looked better in my book. I really hope the performance are there tho.

well know soon enough!

I am really sorry to rain on anyones new boat release, BUT I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

SORRY, But just had to go there!Again!!!!!!

Why? Whats wrong with J boats?

I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

We're not friends

I Have to say that any GOOD FRIENDS DON'T LET THEIR GOOD FRIENDS SAIL ON J BOATS,

We're not friends

It is obvious he/she has never been on a J125 in over 20 knots of breeze......or your boat for that matter :)

Cheers,

opusone

big pimpin'

J/HD

We finally had a chance to put some of our Charleston Race Week video of the new J/111 together to give you the first HD walkthrough of the strong-selling new one design racer. Headroom, cabinets, deck hardware and layout, offshore capability - all in 1080p if your computer can handle it. Learn more about the boat here, or go to the thread in J/Anarchy for tons more. Thanks to Penalty Box Productions for the vid and to J/Boats, Evolution Sails, and Gill for their support of this kind of On-The-Water Anarchy coverage.

Dave Malkin used to be at DIYC in Tampa years ago and was a great guy. Interesting to see he is working as a J Boat dealer now.

jboats.com says the boat is 11.0 meters/36.5 feet long. But 11.0 meters is 36.1 feet.

I did not check the J-Boats website; however based on J's metric naming convention for their sprit boats, the J-111 is 11.1 meters LOA which is equal to 36.417 feet (or breaking out the decimal in to actual feet and inches: 36 feet 5 inches LOA)...guessing there may some rounding and/or mixing of decimals and fractions where you saw the data.

J/111 #4 Invisible Hand had another excellent outing at the 2011 Spinnaker Cup from San Francisco to Monterey yesterday. Won our 16 boat division, both across the line, and on corrected, 4th overall out of 43 boats. Epic sailing down wind across Monterey Bay, mid teen speeds, peaking at 17-18 with 20-24 kts. of breeze.

http://www.mpyc.org/index.php/racing/results/404-spinnaker-2011-cup-results