• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Onrust1368

2010 Ensign Nationals

Guest One of Five

66 Ensigns in a local fleet!!! That's amazing. I don't think any other one design has that..

66 Ensigns in a local fleet!!! That's amazing. I don't think any other one design has that..

it is amazing -

shows the value of enthusiatic promotion over the long term -

Ken Horsburgh was the guy who made it happen up there...

Looking at the results I was surprised to see so few recent champs there. I don't think anyone in the top 5 has won a nationals and it looks like there are only 2 past champions. Good odds that we'll see someone new take home the title again this year.

Looking at the results I was surprised to see so few recent champs there. I don't think anyone in the top 5 has won a nationals and it looks like there are only 2 past champions. Good odds that we'll see someone new take home the title again this year.

I agree, some of the results are surprising, in both directions...

and I'm surprised you're not there, too...

hope all is well...

I count 3 former champs - Labelle (currently in 6th), Shoemaker (currently in 9th) and Bush (currently in 11th) -

The top 4 have been at or near the top for some time, though -

There are some pretty good sailors deep in the fleet, too -

From the photo's, it was breezy enough that quite a few boats opted for the #2 genoa - I wonder if those that did think it was a mistake?

What a great concept, bunch of people, out sailing and racing. Not the latest high tech boat, but all against each other. Sometimes it doesn't matter how fast you go, as long as it is a little faster than the other guy.

On a slightly negative note, I'm concerned about the picture of the boats on trailers in the road next to what I hope are only phone lines. Metal masts and power lines don't mix.

What a great concept, bunch of people, out sailing and racing. Not the latest high tech boat, but all against each other. Sometimes it doesn't matter how fast you go, as long as it is a little faster than the other guy.

On a slightly negative note, I'm concerned about the picture of the boats on trailers in the road next to what I hope are only phone lines. Metal masts and power lines don't mix.

yeah, the class as a group mostly has chosen these boats because they like the people -

they know they're not high-tech, but they don't care -

the races are still plenty exciting, which is what happens when boats are evenly matched -

and the OD rules are adhered to...

also, not to worry, the area where they step and launch is free of overhead lines -

don't forget, they have kazillions of these boats, they do this a lot...

Guest One of Five

there's a ton of them in this area going for a song, and it ain't Stairway to Heaven or In a Garden of Eden.. either.

there's a ton of them in this area going for a song, and it ain't Stairway to Heaven or In a Garden of Eden.. either.

mine is available too...

unfortunately I've moved to an area where I can't use it...

I think it's an interesting dynamic that they have going on with the results is all. Sorry to leave Bush out of the past champions and looking at the pictures Benz is sailing with Zeke, so while Zeke isn't a former nat'l champ there is a champ aboard the first place boat. Life got in the way this summer. Decided we'd just race as the schedule allowed in Niantic been training a couple new crew members too. We are planning to go to Canandagua next summer.

I think it's an interesting dynamic that they have going on with the results is all. Sorry to leave Bush out of the past champions and looking at the pictures Benz is sailing with Zeke, so while Zeke isn't a former nat'l champ there is a champ aboard the first place boat. Life got in the way this summer. Decided we'd just race as the schedule allowed in Niantic been training a couple new crew members too. We are planning to go to Canandagua next summer.

I'm sure you'd be right up there, too -

Zeke has finished 2nd before -

And probably no-one has more Ensign miles than him...

Canandaigua is a great spot to race as well - that will be fun! -

An "unofficial" report on today -

Another big air day -

Zeke Durica of Dunedin FL (with Benz Faget aboard) still in first -

Jeff Millin of Marquette MI (with Andrew Kerr aboard) still in 2nd -

Mike Derusha of Menominee MI moved up from 6th to 3rd with two firsts and a 2nd today -

Dick Baxter of Houston TX in 4th -

more news soon, I hope...

I had volunteered to crew Friendly Spirit if they made the trip. Sorry not to see a lot of NBYC guys on the list. Hopefully see you guys next summer.

Another big air day -

Mike Derusha of Menominee MI moved up from 6th to 3rd with two firsts and a 2nd today -

today's photos are up here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/lescheneauxensignclass/collections/72157624606905855/

looks like another exciting day!

yeah, the class as a group mostly has chosen these boats because they like the people -

they know they're not high-tech, but they don't care -

the races are still plenty exciting, which is what happens when boats are evenly matched -

and the OD rules are adhered to...

also, not to worry, the area where they step and launch is free of overhead lines -

don't forget, they have kazillions of these boats, they do this a lot...

They grew in popularity in the Lex Cheneaux because of the shallow keel depth as well. The area is on average is 12-100 feet deep but many shallow areas as well and rocks. I've sailed/raced in the area for years, have property on an island and love it. Simple OD racing without spending thousands of dollars a year is enjoyable. And we get some really good sailers participating.

I'm glad there is a thread going....

Guest One of Five

Another big air day -

today's photos are up here - http://www.flickr.com/photos/lescheneauxensignclass/collections/72157624606905855/

looks like another exciting day!

those shots looked fantastic. Good Job!

I had the honor of being the PRO the 2010 Ensign Nationals. The other R/C personel were as good as I have ever worked with. It was a blast. Fantastic place to sail. Great people planning super events. It was well worth the 500 mile drive. I understand why people do it every weekend. I could become one.

Nothing that a bit of sheet metal and self tapping screws can't fix.

Saw Zeke taking vidio of the temporary fix, would be great if he could post it to U tube and provide link.

CWS

a couple of casualties from yesterday's racing -

close quarters and big air can do that to a guy -

I had the honor of being the PRO the 2010 Ensign Nationals. The other R/C personel were as good as I have ever worked with. It was a blast. Fantastic place to sail. Great people planning super events. It was well worth the 500 mile drive. I understand why people do it every weekend. I could become one.

You guys did a fantastic Job! Great fun! Great racing! Great folks!

The race officials were great, the events were well planned and the area is beautiful.

Corgrats to Zeke. A well earned championship in some seriously big air. It was a blast.

To top it off the Tuseday night event featured a rain storm followed by a DOUBLE RAINBOW.

It was so beautiful ... I don't know what it means ...

Ayes

In August? Bring the light-air sails, folks. :o I grew up on that lake. About 1 day in 3 has decent winds, and those are fluky as hell at the north end. About 1 day in 6, the wind will blow from due south with good power and generate surprising chop. Hope you tie into a couple days like that -- they can be big fun.

Sounds like a terrific class full of likable people. & the boat is kinda sexy, in an old-time sorta way.

In August? Bring the light-air sails, folks. :o I grew up on that lake. About 1 day in 3 has decent winds, and those are fluky as hell at the north end. About 1 day in 6, the wind will blow from due south with good power and generate surprising chop. Hope you tie into a couple days like that -- they can be big fun.

Sounds like a terrific class full of likable people. & the boat is kinda sexy, in an old-time sorta way.

sailed there in 2005 -

the women's team I coached won their event - they had a ton of breeze -

we were 3rd in the regionals of 20 boats - and that was mostly light air -

we mostly followed the "white lady" team around the course -

it was fun!

sailed there in 2005 -

the women's team I coached won their event - they had a ton of breeze -

we were 3rd in the regionals of 20 boats - and that was mostly light air -

we mostly followed the "white lady" team around the course -

it was fun!

Yeah, teh Finger Lakes are binary in Summer: glassed over, or blowing 25. On the plus side, days marked for big wind set in early (~10 AM, if memory serves) and blow til after dark. The area right around the old YC is a wind shadow, but farther north by Kershaw it swirls clockwise with killer shore lift and a big hole in the middle. It looks like they built a fancy Marine Center by the City Pier. That's cool -- when I lived there, the entire lake had three crappy means of public access. Presumably to keep out riffraff like me. :lol: Watch out for 40' speedboats!

For you fans of classic boats, Canandaigua also hosts the largest single fleet of Shark Catamarans, tho I hear a few got fubared in a tornado last year. (Scroll down to the comments for a good laugh. :lol:)

Have a good time in my home town; visitors should engage in some light class warfare, to keep up traditions.

Have a good time in my home town; visitors should engage in some light class warfare, to keep up traditions.

I thought sliding down a 150-foot hunk of plastic in the front yard of the YC was one of the traditions...

I thought sliding down a 150-foot hunk of plastic in the front yard of the YC was one of the traditions...

Last time I was there (late 80's, early 90's ensign nat's) puking in the bushes after a night of rum fueled song and dance in the bar was the tradition, that and staying in a house with HUGE great danes that weren't so sure about me stumbling through their house at 3 am.

Last time I was there (late 80's, early 90's ensign nat's) puking in the bushes after a night of rum fueled song and dance in the bar was the tradition, that and staying in a house with HUGE great danes that weren't so sure about me stumbling through their house at 3 am.

Yes, but you see, it's rich out-of-towners' plastic sheeting, seems our water parks aren't good enough for them ... and probably some hoity-toity rum drinks with those little umbrellas stuck in pineapple cubes, just to show off how much better they are than us people who work for a living....

I could go on, but the locals do it with soooo much more conviction. ;) Sorry. First time I saw the film Heathers, I thought it was a documentary.

Pretty damn lake, tho. Let's get some long shots of the Ensign fleet with the wine country background. Should be stunning. :)

canandaigua-lake-2small.jpg

http://animoto.com/play/X0RgTmwXvdE41c9tI2MY6A?utm_content=main_link

Fun Video

Day 1 blown out -

Day 2 - results and photos are here - http://www.lescheneauxensignclass.com/natchmp.htm

looks like it was a glorious day of racing -

38 boats from 11 states -

hey Bubba, you should volunteer for next year's Nationals right away -

those folks will do it up right, too!

We volunteered already.... Told next year's chairman that we woul dlove to PRO the event. Claire seems to feel that they have someone aready. We all know that it is not easy to bypass local for outside talent.

http://animoto.com/play/X0RgTmwXvdE41c9tI2MY6A?utm_content=main_link

Fun Video

Day 1 blown out -

Day 2 - results and photos are here - http://www.lescheneauxensignclass.com/natchmp.htm

looks like it was a glorious day of racing -

38 boats from 11 states -

hey Bubba, you should volunteer for next year's Nationals right away -

those folks will do it up right, too!