windseekeryachts

Donovan GP26 starts production in Turkey

Sweet!!

Can I have orange foils on mine too!!!?

yes of course, with 2608 shipped next up is yours and with orange foils...Just don't ask for the inboard :D

That cradle has her pitched in there along her Volvo 65 upwind lines.

I saw Scott's boat by SDYC, and just wanted to say how much bigger the boat is in person in comparison to the photos I see. It is one cool looking boat!

That boat is currently on its way to Annapolis and will arrive at Jabins this weekend.

Due to change of plans, Hull4, which was on a special charter deal with Scot Tempesta, is now headed to Annapolis and expected to arrive in town this weekeend. Hull4 will continue to be our Demo Boat for the rest of the season and until it is sold in 2016. With arrival of hull4, Annapolis fleet expands to 2 this weekeend and will grow to 4 within 2 months.

The boat have plans to participate in few races locally in Annapolis and in Florida as well.

For purchase inquiries please send PM.

That boat is currently on its way to Annapolis and will arrive at Jabins this weekend.

Due to change of plans, Hull4, which was on a special charter deal with Scot Tempesta, is now headed to Annapolis and expected to arrive in town this weekeend. Hull4 will continue to be our Demo Boat for the rest of the season and until it is sold in 2016. With arrival of hull4, Annapolis fleet expands to 2 this weekeend and will grow to 4 within 2 months.

The boat have plans to participate in few races locally in Annapolis and in Florida as well.

Where in Florida?

I was down checking out the rig for 08 yesterday. Nice piece of kit from CTech. I guess the boat is supposed to land in NY/NJ area today and be this way next week. It is going to go get a pretty flash paint job. Sailing in a couple weeks! Can't wait.

I was down checking out the rig for 08 yesterday. Nice piece of kit from CTech. I guess the boat is supposed to land in NY/NJ area today and be this way next week. It is going to go get a pretty flash paint job. Sailing in a couple weeks! Can't wait.

08 is coming to Michigan?

yes boat is coming to Michigan. Will get paint job in Detroit and expected to be launched later in October. Will spend the winter in Florida.

Where in Florida?

planning to be in KWRW

Where can the details on the CTech rig be found? Pix?

Some pictures of the Owner Supplied CTech rig. Whe boat is quite extraordinary with underdeck harken furler and Ctech furling boom not to mention the diesel saildrive.

post-46969-0-50699900-1443435007_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-80200200-1443435020_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-07432500-1443435022_thumb.jpg

Sprint 6?! John Stevens son or grandson?

The man himself.

Mr. Stevens himself? WOW, what has he been up to? Glad to see him back!

It's a very cool boat. Very responsive, helms like a sports car, and yet feels much bigger than 26 feet. Stable, responsive and sensitive, It's a lot of things I was looking for and more than I hoped.

Looking forward to delivery of 09.

In the meantime, hulls 04 and 07 are in Annapolis available for test sails and for sale. One and maybe both of them will go to Key West where there may be a class. Hulls 09 and 10 are on their way to the Bay.

Nice Rig details, thats typical CTech but the other details sound equally Impressive

Well done Windseeker and up to hull 10 that sound like a groundswell is picking up!!

It's a very cool boat. Very responsive, helms like a sports car, and yet feels much bigger than 26 feet. Stable, responsive and sensitive, It's a lot of things I was looking for and more than I hoped.

Looking forward to delivery of 09.

In the meantime, hulls 04 and 07 are in Annapolis available for test sails and for sale. One and maybe both of them will go to Key West where there may be a class. Hulls 09 and 10 are on their way to the Bay.

hmm... if there were a charter opportunity....

Well we finally did the "sea trials" yesterday in the D and the boat sails very well. I will try to post a few pics of the boat sailing. Very well built, nicely laid out. We used a "borrowed" kite

Sprint%206%2030%20Oct%202015%20-0102-X2.

Sprint%206%2030%20Oct%202015%20-8220-X2.

Sprint%206%2030%20Oct%202015%20-8633-X2.

Looks awesome!!! Should be fun to follow the progress. Peacefrog, are you part of this program and sailing on her?

Hull9 is headed to Annapolis...

Bringing total number of East coast boats to 7.

With shipment of Hull10 in about two weeks, the fleet will reach 8 boats. +1 Kevin Farrar's home build, the design will have 9 boats sailing in USA.

We are very close to reaching double digit numbers and having a special offer for 2016 season. Details are here.

At least 2 boats are planning to be in KWRW.

And there is strong possibility there will be class starts in some big east coast regattas in 2016.

post-46969-0-96807800-1446457392_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-15230300-1446457394_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-96855600-1446457394_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-95076800-1446457395_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-00488300-1446457397_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-03038700-1446457398_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-94819600-1446457398_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-96427300-1446457399_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-63387600-1446457401_thumb.jpg

post-46969-0-39856400-1446457402_thumb.jpg

We sailed 2604 last Saturday in a pretty good blow, and it was a blast.

Four of us ghosted out of the Patuxent (where 04 is being kept preparatory to going south for KWRW) into the Bay in maybe five knots of wind when a front blew through and the wind piped up to 20 and probably more. We were out for a romp and didn't bother with the instruments which are Tack Ticks and not worth bothering with anyway so any numbers here are estimates.

The first thing we noticed as the wind built was how difficult it was to time and call puffs. On a heavier boat you can call a puff in 3-2-1 and feel the boat heel and the wind pressure as the puff hits. This boat accelerates with the wind as the puff builds so that the initial wind velocity translates into boat speed, even at lower wind speeds. You don't so much feel the puff as notice the boat accelerate. Any countdown to a puff is invariably mistimed and early.

We had the number one up when the wind hit in earnest, and while the boat was unhappy and overpowered, it was not unmanageable, better when we put a short hoist three up. Jim Donovan said there was sufficient bow volume designed in to handle waves and the boat proved it. The 26 rides like a larger boat. We didn't get tossed by the waves so much as were able to helm our way through them.

That was also true when we turned the corner and put a kite up. OMG what a ride. At first the boat speed is intimidating, but then you settle in to the notion that the boat can handle it and it gets really enjoyable. Well, a lot more than enjoyable. The hull form is incredibly slippery. If I said how fast I think we were going you wouldn't believe me. Suffice it to say it was fooking fast. Mistakes can be made and we did wipe out twice, but they weren't bad and we recovered quickly with some hard pumps on the tiller and were off again. We needed a bit more weight on the boat in that wind and better distributed in the stern, better sail handling and at the helm, but it was our second time out on the boat so we learned a few things.

No one was frowning at the end of the day.

We sailed in both light and heavy conditions within a relatively short time, and the boat was quick and willing in both conditions. It will be a giant killer in light air and reward skilled crews with a spirited and controlled ride in a blow.

One long-time crew member summed up the run home as "the best ten minutes I have ever spent on a sailboat," and he has been around a few.

Well we finally did the "sea trials" yesterday in the D and the boat sails very well. I will try to post a few pics of the boat sailing. Very well built, nicely laid out. We used a "borrowed" kite

Looks very nice. Is that the Editor's old boat?

p.s. isn't the flag backwards in the second picture?

Looks very nice. Is that the Editor's old boat?

p.s. isn't the flag backwards in the second picture?

no it is not the 'sleeve', Editors Old Boat. Brand new hull8.

the write up by Yard Dog is about the Editors Old Boat sailing in Chasepeake Bay thoug. She was on a special charter agreement the Ed, Now back to Demo Boat Mode and available for sale.

Saw the entry list for kwrw a few days ago. Looks like 2604 is registered twice to two different teams. Is that a typo or is someone about to get some bad news? See entry #2 and entry #138.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/current_event_entries.cfm?eID=1390

I crewed the boat albeit briefly with the Ed and Jim. Awesome little thing. We had one regatta where it blew pretty decent (12-15 maybe?) and we held off the Columbia 30s and I think we won it. Cool boat.

Saw the entry list for kwrw a few days ago. Looks like 2604 is registered twice to two different teams. Is that a typo or is someone about to get some bad news? See entry #2 and entry #138.

I crewed the boat albeit briefly with the Ed and Jim. Awesome little thing. We had one regatta where it blew pretty decent (12-15 maybe?) and we held off the Columbia 30s and I think we won it. Cool boat.

I think you can disregard entry #2. Peter D'Arista is also registered at #115 with 2610. But another odd note is that D'Arista is also entered as crew on entry #138.

I think you can disregard entry #2. Peter D'Arista is also registered at #115 with 2610. But another odd note is that D'Arista is also entered as crew on entry #138.

Disregard entry2.

Clarification for the curious minds...Peter is owner of hull 7 and 10.

So no double booking, no sad news...

Yeah, Peter owns two boats and is taking them both down. I believe he will be racing on #10 which is going to KW straight off the boat from Turkey. He also owns #7 which last I heard he is putting a crew on. Hull #4 is a factory boat which has been here for a while as a demo boat. Word is that someone in Michigan is interested in buying it, but if that falls through it will remain in Annapolis or maybe Solomons, but on the Bay, anyway. John Edwards and crew from his F30 are set to race at KWRW on either #4 or #7, probably #4.

So four boats on the Bay and something like five more on the East coast with most on LIS and some in FLA, one splitting time between MICH and FLA. Maybe Windseeker can provide a better count.

Keel and rudder (in Out-My-Way Orange) set and mast stepped. Beautiful work. Trailer from Triad.

Whose boat is this one?

Anyone notice that after 6 races at Key West the fastest GP 26 is getting around the course consistently faster than the fastest Farr 280? The ratings would suggest it is not supposed to work that way.

Anyone notice that after 6 races at Key West the fastest GP 26 is getting around the course consistently faster than the fastest Farr 280? The ratings would suggest it is not supposed to work that way.

Pretty sure the GP26's are pretty consistently getting line honors in their ORC class as well, although apparently a 4 minute lead isn't enough to beat a J80 on time.

I struggle to see how this race won't be the nail in the coffin for the Farr 280. There is really no way to argue in favor of the Farr if you are in the market for a boat like that. You would either go C&C 30 or GP 26. The Farr doesn't seem to be better than the other two at anything.

Seems like a huge prop for the GP 26 though. Faster than a Farr 280 at half the price?

I struggle to see how this race won't be the nail in the coffin for the Farr 280. There is really no way to argue in favor of the Farr if you are in the market for a boat like that. You would either go C&C 30 or GP 26. The Farr doesn't seem to be better than the other two at anything.

Seems like a huge prop for the GP 26 though. Faster than a Farr 280 at half the price?

Or an older J80 for so much less. Still, having owned a J80 for many years, I say give me the Donovan 26 (or better yet, that long lost 20). Amazing looking boats at a decent price. Wish one would come to the NW corner of the US. Would love to kick the tires a bit.

Or an older J80 for so much less. Still, having owned a J80 for many years, I say give me the Donovan 26 (or better yet, that long lost 20). Amazing looking boats at a decent price. Wish one would come to the NW corner of the US. Would love to kick the tires a bit.

The J/80 result is all but meaningless. It is winning the rating war. Whoopee. The GP26 is winning on the water. The J/80 is finishing 4 minutes behind. Snore.

Watched the highlight reel this morning from yesterday. There's a great shot with the 280s and GPs rounding the weather mark and the J80 is at least a minute away, probably more. No idea which race or which lap.

2610 should start paying more attention to weight placement downwind. In the clip I think they're too far forward for the conditions. Hard to tell from the video but it doesn't look like anyone's behind the driver and there should be. 2604 looks launched around the offset with two behind the driver.

It does seem the J80 is winning very easily in this rule. And it can't be much fun finishing last over the line in every race. My GP 26s are showing up with brand new teams, ratings that were not optimized at all for ORC and limited sail inventories. Mike is having a great time collecting his fair share of guns at the finish line; quite an achievement after sailing the boat less than a week. Rattle n Rum has an A2 that's not great, and we've been trying to find a replacement for that sail all week. Definitely affecting his performance in the moderate wind races. Long story short; there's a lot of performance yet to come for the GP 26s. Very gratifying to see how well they go against the 28 footers in the fleet 😄

It does seem the J80 is winning very easily in this rule. And it can't be much fun finishing last over the line in every race. My GP 26s are showing up with brand new teams, ratings that were not optimized at all for ORC and limited sail inventories. Mike is having a great time collecting his fair share of guns at the finish line; quite an achievement after sailing the boat less than a week. Rattle n Rum has an A2 that's not great, and we've been trying to find a replacement for that sail all week. Definitely affecting his performance in the moderate wind races. Long story short; there's a lot of performance yet to come for the GP 26s. Very gratifying to see how well they go against the 28 footers in the fleet

maybe this is better for a PM, but what would you do to optimize the boat for ORC?

We had a huge squall come through today and as we were taking out 70 apart one of the GP's came smoking down the channel with just the main, absolutely SMOKIN! Looked like a lot of fun.

It looked like 2604 was rigged up for outside gybes. obviously it's working for them based on their performance at KW, but I'm a little surprised they went that way on a 26' boat.

I was on 2604 as tactician/trimmer. first i must thank Serhad and Peter Darista for having us all down in Key West and I must say I was quite impressed with the boat. Going into the regatta I had no idea how we would stack up against the Farr 280. I sailed the 280 only once, which was in Charleston last year and was very impressed with the boat, winning every race doesnt hurt either. Having said that I am blown away with the performance of the GP 26. This thing is a weapon off the breeze and can hang with the 280 upwind. As for the outside gybes, it was out of neccessity, the A2 we had was such a lemon it could not be gybed inside. Whoever designed it should be kicked in the dick, I'm pretty sure the head angle was 160 degrees.

Interesting. Was the offwind speed difference greater in the moderate breeze or the stronger breeze? The displacement of the boats is very different.

Presumably the 280 was more competitive upwind in the moderate breeze, but more overpowered and less competitive upwind in the stronger breeze?

Roleur,

the only place I've seen a serious hole in the 26's performance is in superlight breeze and chop, where the frac rig just doesn't do it justice. a code 0 helps there. otherwise, it doesn't take much to power the boat up to its potential. The displacement is very different but the 26 is pretty wide for its length and 'feels' a lot bigger than 26 when you step on board.

Following up on YD’s post from a while ago on our second sail with Hull #4. We have had the pleasure of sailing the C&C 30, Farr 280 and the GP 26. We knew we had made the right choice after our first sail with Jim Donovan and this next sail further confirmed this belief.

This boat is a weapon as CAPEBOY noted but you better be paying attention or she will get bored with you. Ryley noted it does feel bigger than 26 feet, this sensation starts when you step on the boat as it doesn’t really notice you. Credit half the boat weight being over six feet down.

During our second test sail we left Solomans in maybe five knots of breeze with little or no wind showing on the water. Rig was dialed down to the conditions, a guess but at least softened up. We started with the four us in the cockpit sharing thoughts on what we hoped the boat would be like. We were moving but nothing to write home about. Then I suggested that we “practice perfect” as Coach Lombardi would say. Weight forward and to leeward with YD in front of the traveler and BAM. Boat immediately started scooting along. The acceleration as trim is dialed in, even in light air, is noticeable. Stay on your game or she will get bored with you...

The wind filled in rig was dialed up to get the slack out we were moving smartly along but the main was floating. Switching to the short hoist J2 was the right choice for the conditions. After a brief intermission to switch the J2, boat was once again moving well upwind with the traveler down and main drawing well. Sheet on, bow up the wave. Sheet eased, bow down the wave. Jim Donovan noted two features about the design that stuck with me when we were finalizing details on the boat. First, “I like big rudders.” Sailing upwind it was striking how balanced and nuanced the rudder feel was in the boat. Changes in sail trim and heel angle translate quickly into a different feel to the rudder.

As I turned the boat downwind, Jim Donovan’s second feature showed itself “the boat is so light it doesn’t have a ‘step’ it just keeps going faster.” There is no step you just feel like you were catapulted forward to max velocity. Some erratic driving on my part prompted one crew member to jest, “you can shake pretty much anybody off the boat with that thing.”

Time to set the kite. We went with the A1 as we saw the A2 during the first test sail and it would not have been very driveable for the building sea state. Kite fills, boat launches forward to full-on planing party time. Boat is rock solid even at max velocity. Everyone is lost in the moment... whoops down the mine we go, green water flowing over the deck. Bow pops up. Off we go again!! Later we did manage to lay the boat over. I’ve been involved with some mast slapping the water, windex removing, water in the cabin broaches in my time. The broach didn’t feel out of control almost like the boat was saying, “I’m bored with you and I will just hang out here until you boys get your act together...” Ease sheets, couple of snaps on the rudder and “off to party time!!”

Pick your superlative metaphor and this boat is it. She handsomely rewards proper boat trim and sail handling with amazing speed. Just don’t let her get bored with you.

Weight forward and to leeward with YD in front of the traveler and BAM. Boat immediately started scooting along.

Clarification, please, gone:

Isn't the traveler just a foot or so off the transom?

BAM?

Weight forward and to leeward with YD in front of the traveler and BAM. Boat immediately started scooting along.

BAM?

Sorry TBone I misspoke. YD was in front of the main sheet blocks that are attached in front of the tiller. He was well forward of the typical helman position.

BAM - weight forward boat took off!

BAM?

Sorry TBone I misspoke. YD was in front of the main sheet blocks that are attached in front of the tiller. He was well forward of the typical helman position.

BAM - weight forward boat took off!

See YD quote from Jan 2 for block position.

I have a short video of us sailing 09 yesterday, but SA says I am not allowed to post it. Can anyone help a brother out?

upload to youtube and link that way? Make sure you're not using https:// for the link.

Great racing in Charleston last weekend. We had our first OD start with five GP 26s on the line. Racing in 15 to 25 knots on the inshore circles, the boats completed the 5.5 mile courses in approx 40 mins. Downwind legs took about 8 mins. Essentially no breakage on any of the boats aside for minor furler issue on Sprint 6 - this was there first race after only two days of tuning in Detroit last fall. The square top mains are definitely the perferred setup and the boats are powerful enough to carry a full square top mainsail with small headsail in winds speeds exceeding 25 knots.

Looks like a pretty close P/S in the background here: 1460749199_---16-3255timwilkes.jpg

Mikes team on Rattle and Rum were the most proficient and would always leg out on the fleet; the rest of us were sailing with new or relatively new crew or just really old crew. Average age on our boat was 54 (we had one 35 yr old that lowered that from 58). Sprint 6 wins the old contest with the 80 year old owner sailing aboard on Sunday.

The racing with the other four boats was quite close and the owners and crew were all working on determinimg the next regatta to focus on for the fleet. We have nine boats on the east coast now; the Miami boat has sold and is headed to Ontario.

Hope to get enough interest in getting a few boats to travel to the lakes.

Mikes team on Rattle and Rum were the most proficient and would always leg out on the fleet; the rest of us were sailing with new or relatively new crew or just really old crew. Average age on our boat was 54 (we had one 35 yr old that lowered that from 58). Sprint 6 wins the old contest with the 80 year old owner sailing aboard on Sunday.

The racing with the other four boats was quite close and the owners and crew were all working on determinimg the next regatta to focus on for the fleet. We have nine boats on the east coast now; the Miami boat has sold and is headed to Ontario.

Hope to get enough interest in getting a few boats to travel to the lakes.

Come to the ONE Regatta August 26 - 28 in Marblehead. 5 boats will get you an OD start. Eastern YC is the host this year. Vipers, J70s, and J105s will be OD classes this year. Hoists are available and trailer parking is being arranged.

Well or the Fareast 28R. That is a helluva boat for the price...

As a new owner of a Fareast28R and also owner of a boat very similar to the GP26 I can tell you that the Fareast is going to be hard to beat both in performance and in price. I am very impressed by this boat both in build quality and upwind/downwind performance. I've only had it out a few times but It does over 6 kts BS at 37 deg TWA in 15 kts wind and planes at 7 kts BS on reaches. I reached 10 kts BS on a beam reach in 18 kts wind with jib and main. We were faster and pointed better than a J105 in a race 2 weeks ago. The Fareast 28R has also beaten a Farr 280 on elapased time and carries the same PHRF. $60K for a brand new boat with sails and trailer and motor! vs $140K for Farr 280 and same price for a GP26 but a much larger boat. Here is a photo of us in the lead close the windward mark despite short crew, reefed main and 3.5 jib. After the mark we extended the lead dramatically on the triangular course. Don't want to hijack this thread so will post in Sport boat anarchy with more once I have a little more time on the water.

IMG_0865.jpg

Ahead of a J/105, perhaps, Bike, but what's with the J/80 on your hip?

Hi BJ Bike

I hope you are happy with your Far East. You might consider putting it on the market while it still has some resale value. To my knowledge I am the only person who has put more than 50 to 60 thousand on the base boat price of a GP 26. Prices may have gone up a bit but I am not even sure of that. Your references to the speed you have achived relitive to the J 80 and J105 you have pictured above are terriffic for a 6 knot shit box. The GP 26 regularly will sail at 3 to 1 knots below true wind in most conditions if not better off wind. Up wind I have found the boat to sail well between 6 to 7 knots at pretty tight angles. Please PM if you would like to discuss.

Best regards,

Kevin Farrar

That wasn't my intent. I was responding to another post in this same thread. I have deleted my posts and moved my discussion to another thread. Tbone- the J80 is not reefed. At the end I was several minutes ahead and took line honors

Well or the Fareast 28R. That is a helluva boat for the price...

As a new owner of a Fareast28R and also owner of a boat very similar to the GP26 I can tell you that the Fareast is going to be hard to beat both in performance and in price. I am very impressed by this boat both in build quality and upwind/downwind performance. I've only had it out a few times but It does over 6 kts BS at 37 deg TWA in 15 kts wind and planes at 7 kts BS on reaches. I reached 10 kts BS on a beam reach in 18 kts wind with jib and main. We were faster and pointed better than a J105 in a race 2 weeks ago. The Fareast 28R has also beaten a Farr 280 on elapased time and carries the same PHRF. $60K for a brand new boat with sails and trailer and motor! vs $140K for Farr 280 and same price for a GP26 but a much larger boat. Here is a photo of us in the lead close the windward mark despite short crew, reefed main and 3.5 jib. After the mark we extended the lead dramatically on the triangular course. Don't want to hijack this thread so will post in Sport boat anarchy with more once I have a little more time on the water.

Having sailed on a GP26 at both KWRW and CRW I can tell you we owned the FARR 280s boat for boat, every race and in all conditions, and didn't need to run the engine to use the bilge pumps between races. The Fareast 28 at KWRW I believe was sailed by a junior sailing program and they found a groove late in the regatta and showed some upwind performance. I distinctly remember reminding Moose that a 14 year old girl was ruining him upwind. I have a lot of experience on the GP 26s (having sailed on 5 of them) and I can tell you they are a rocket ship, and even on our trip back into KW the last day in gusts up to 40 the rig held up and the boat felt secure ( I would guess we were doing over 20 kts BS with just the main up). I have no experience on the Fareast, but in the head to head stuff I was part of I would still pick the GP.

The Donovan GP26 is an incredible little big boat.

It was a great regatta, and pretty obvious that there is a lot more speed to wring out, even at the front of the fleet. These are early days.

So I was on the boat with the pinhead main. Downwind speed didn't suffer for that, but upwind it was slightly off pace. While it is really nice not to have double backstays for the fat head, that is definitely the preferred setup for pure speed.

But that is a fleet decision type thing, because even with the conventional (GP26 rule compliant) main, the boat is still an absolute blast to sail.

So we raced using ORC Club to account for the different setups. Not sure how the other boats felt, but there were definitely problems there. For instance, we owed time to boats with fat heads (for some reason) and that was clearly not right. That said, the overall regatta results were exactly the way they should have been. Rattle and Rum were clearly the best boat.

The other thing I would say is, these boats go so fast downwind, we needed longer legs. A mile and a half leg is just not enough runway going downwind in 18kts of breeze! Between getting the chute up and getting it down, you basically have about 5 pure minutes of planning! Barely enough time to grin. Unfortunately there is only so much water in the harbor.

...we owed time to boats with fat heads (for some reason) and that was clearly not right.

Were you penalized for other "attributes" that would account for the rating disparity? The ORC ratings suggest that there were differences throughout the fleet.