Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sailssbcanvas

Melges 32 Worlds - who is going to win?

who is going to win the Melges 32 Worlds in San Francisco?

If they knew then there would be no point in holding the event, would there?

I'm just glad I'll get to see some of my east side homies. Too bad it's harvest time.....

outteridge? Is he a 1???

Not on the crew list. Nathan Wilmot still is of course, trimming main. You know something I don't?

http://melges32.com/raceready/2010/im32ca_worlds_cleared.htm

My picks (after no research - better picks when I get to SF)

1) Bliksem

2) Samba

3) B-Lin

4) Full Throttle

5) Leenabarca

6) Goombay Smash

7) Red

8) Argo

9) Fantastica

10) Star

I think for the first time, an M32 event has more top sailors in its fleet than the Medcup. Stellar, really, and I'm bummed we're missing it.

as ever - it's all gonna come down to time on the water - on that water

nice collection of sailors there

but a local sleeper boat that might suprise some is jesberg's Viva

How many of that list of Mr C's are not North ? Just wondering about the scope for something different and fast from a sail maker given the SF conditions.

I am sure Bliksem will be strong but as per the Farr 40's you have to be mighty good with some luck to win back to back championships, history suggests it will go elsewhere.

How many of that list of Mr C's are not North ? Just wondering about the scope for something different and fast from a sail maker given the SF conditions.

I am sure Bliksem will be strong but as per the Farr 40's you have to be mighty good with some luck to win back to back championships, history suggests it will go elsewhere.

Fantastica is One Sails. Great dudes. Bliksem is due, and they love the breeze, though B-Lin has an extremely talented 26? year-old owner/driver, and Kilroy is gold in the bay. Tough call.

I think for the first time, an M32 event has more top sailors in its fleet than the Medcup. Stellar, really, and I'm bummed we're missing it.

What are you smoking? Most of the people at this couldn't get a job as shore crew...

/but way to generate some extra clicks...

//name one person at m32 worlds and who they should replace at medcup, and the second that happens is the second your statement will have any credibility

///who wants to sail semi pro?

What are you smoking? Most of the people at this couldn't get a job as shore crew...

//name one person at m32 worlds and who they should replace at medcup, and the second that happens is the second your statement will have any credibility

Interestingly, the people that clean didn't mention, like RC, JK, etc - check the crew list - pretty impressive.

Fantastica is One Sails. Great dudes. Bliksem is due, and they love the breeze, though B-Lin has an extremely talented 26? year-old owner/driver, and Kilroy is gold in the bay. Tough call.

There are several key contenders - how could you overlook Porter ?

B-Lin, Bliksem, Pegasus - in whatever order, but they'll all be up there. Red too.

You "guys" going?

outteridge? Is he a 1???

Not on the crew list. Nathan Wilmot still is of course, trimming main. You know something I don't?

http://melges32.com/raceready/2010/im32ca_worlds_cleared.htm

My picks (after no research - better picks when I get to SF)

1) Bliksem

2) Samba

3) B-Lin

4) Full Throttle

5) Leenabarca

6) Goombay Smash

7) Red

8) Argo

9) Fantastica

10) Star

Think Outteridge is replacing Nathan W. Not sure why.

The 32 Worlds in SF are going to be great (providing we have wind which is NOT always the case, see last years BBS). The 32's are still developing as a class and I put the emphasis in developmental classes on tiller time and the team leader's ability to motivate. Bilksem has had a couple of crew changes which is a minus for them and the curve is steeper = 5th-7th. Samba has invested a lot more time in the class this last year, Kilroy is a talented driver and LOVES sailing in the Bay, but Stu is not strong enough to reign in Kilroy rage = 4th-6th. Star helmed by Jeff E who has more tiller time (past World Champion himself) on Melges boats by FAR than any other competitor other than the Porters, and coupled with JK have got the talent to take this = 1st-3rd. The Sleepers: In any World's there is the Mojo factor = who is on a roll. B-Lin if they lose the ITA chip and hang loose early on, the Porter brothers are DUE, Ramrod with Rod as an great driver and Larson having a solid year.

1) Star or (Sleeper)

2) Sleeper

3) Samba

4) Bilksem

5) Sleeper

My .02

Regards,

Crew

Think Outteridge is replacing Nathan W. Not sure why.

Not sure "why" either, but I'll take a shot in the dark and say it has something to with Nathan W. appearing on crew lists for both Bliksem and Star for the same regatta.

Have a close look at Entries. Wilmot is so good he is on two boats!

haha you said it not me! I will watch next time he sees you. hehe.

Shakedown, Geoff is due

Interestingly, the people that clean didn't mention, like RC, JK, etc - check the crew list - pretty impressive.

I'll give you RC if he were to put in a little more tiller time (or are you putting him on tactics?), but who are you pulling to put JK on a boat?

And even then you've got what two people who *might* be at medcup level, and Clean is claiming the comp is better...

/let me know when the fleet is tough enough that the leader's avg finish is 30th/40th percentile of the fleet, and how many races the last place boat wins...

I'll give you RC if he were to put in a little more tiller time (or are you putting him on tactics?), but who are you pulling to put JK on a boat?

And even then you've got what two people who *might* be at medcup level, and Clean is claiming the comp is better...

/let me know when the fleet is tough enough that the leader's avg finish is 30th/40th percentile of the fleet, and how many races the last place boat wins...

I am told that JK is not on the boat he's listed under, and unlikely to have a ride. Could be wrong, but that's the latest intel from the team. Coutts is obviously grade A, but his team lacks experience and doesn't have a chance. There is no RC on tiller - this is an owner/driver class.

There are several key contenders - how could you overlook Porter ?

Porter is listed fourth on my list above. Full Throttle. Not the kind of driver his brother is in the big stuff. In moderate breeze, the list looks totally different.

Clean, what's the buzz for online coverage of the Worlds? You and Mer going? Live feeds - Med Cup style updates?

Have a close look at Entries. Wilmot is so good he is on two boats!

If some of the goss is right, Wilmot replaces Kostecki and Outeridge replaces Wilmot... Will confirm with troll tomorrow.

Clean, what's the buzz for online coverage of the Worlds? You and Mer going? Live feeds - Med Cup style updates?

Might be there for a day richie, but I think the class made its own arrangements. We are committed to the SA regatta, a total conflict, so we never worked on it since we had the dates back in January. The dodos at Sailgroove are doing both BBS and Worlds I understand, so at least there will be something live. We've been hoping to see them raise their game, and M32 Worlds is a good stage for new blood, so we wish them luck. Let us know what you think of it.

There is a chance that Jeremy will be bringing the big camera and covering from the deck of StFYC for OTWA. We'll see how it shakes down.

Go ahead and read the list carefully and let me know how many world champs, olympic gold medalists, america's cup vets, Volvo vets, WMRT, and TP52 sailors are there. If you think that it's just 'a couple', you need to learn to read, or perhaps learn to pronounce foreign names. Here's a little list of guys that make the grade, but maybe not in your bizarro world...And by the way, most of these guys have sailed MedCup...

Chris Rast

Coutts

Escourt

Constant

McKee

DeLuca

Paoletti

Favini

McKee

Wilmot

Kotoun

Peet

Bixby

Mirsky

Greenhalgh ( x 2)

Draper

Christiansen

Brady

Larson

Clarke

Goodison

Nixon

Horton

Bannatyne

Reeser

De Angelis

Melges

Fitzpatrich

Allin

Larson (the other one)

Brun

Pepper

Rey

Your list left out a few multiple world champs from F30's, F40's, Swan45's and M24's also.

If some of the goss is right, Wilmot replaces Kostecki and Outeridge replaces Wilmot... Will confirm with troll tomorrow.

That's a real bummer about Kostecki being out. I was really glad Star would have JK's knowledge and experience with the local conditions. What the hell happened there?

There is a chance that Jeremy will be bringing the big camera and covering from the deck of StFYC for OTWA. We'll see how it shakes down.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do this. I would much rather hear Jeremy's excellent commentary than Sailgroove. I like the Sailgroove guys but the commentary just isn't colorful enough. Jeremy can do a great job telling us what's going on, and shooting from the deck makes perfect sense.

You gotta make this happen OTWA guys. This is a huge event and it's in Jeremy's back yard. This is a killer combination and you won't need wrangle with the usual OTW logistical nightmare.

The other bonus is that you hopefully won't need to scramble for sponsorship dollars. Just the exposure for Surf City Cats alone should lead to enough biz for Jeremy to make it worth his while.

I think the 3G pipe from St. Frantics should ensure rock steady connection speeds. If you can add a support guy to assist with hardware, comms and maybe typing key info into the forums, you'll be golden.

Posted · Hidden by not from this world, September 7, 2010 - No reason given
Hidden by not from this world, September 7, 2010 - No reason given

+1

Go the Troll.

Your list left out a few multiple world champs from F30's, F40's, Swan45's and M24's also.

I figured I could stop where I did, but some folks seem to think this is a mumpty fleet even though it's probably one of the best meal tickets around for the top guys, and fun racing to boot. The limits on most of the boats are the drivers, like any owner/driver class, but even they are massively committed and spend weeks or months preparing and practicing and training for this one.

I think there are 7 guys in the fleet at Worlds from Quantum's MedCup boat alone BTW.

I was saying RC should be able to jump into Medcup if he had more tiller time, obviously he has a ride in the M32 fleet...

huge call...how much tiller time does this bloke Coutts need ya think? never heard of him. must be a ringer

back to Melgi

some great crews there...if Nathan goes with Star...very interesting...hard to beat

some great crews there...if Nathan goes with Star...very interesting...hard to beat

I think not enough time together, and Jeff hasn't been on the pace for a year now. But he does like the breeze!

I give you million to one odd's they'll even let you near the club.

Now if you had any balls at all, you'd try that underwater stunt under Blossum Rock mark during max ebb.

you'd try that underwater stunt under Blossum Rock mark during max ebb.

No vis.

Intended racing area is the Berkely Circle.

There is a neat vid on FB of Bliksem training with Troll out the back on a wake board, and some really great down wind footage going through gybes in heavy air.

Can't link them unfortunately, just thought I would tease.

There is a neat vid on FB of Bliksem training with Troll out the back on a wake board, and some really great down wind footage going through gybes in heavy air.

The "other" website has had it on the front page for 2 days.....

All info. can be found here: http://www.stfyc.com/ including live video & connections to tweets and FB

I think this is a pretty wide open race. Bliksem has changed up a few things and are sailing their new boat. My dark horse is a pretty unknown quantity; Rougarou. Probably the best owner/driver there is in the fleet, with a silver medallist calling tactics. The one area they are hurting in is time on the water, so their crew work may be a bit rusty, but i peg them for top 5.

All info. can be found here: http://www.stfyc.com/ including live video & connections to tweets and FB

Please don't add stuff to my posts.

I think this is a pretty wide open race. Bliksem has changed up a few things and are sailing their new boat. My dark horse is a pretty unknown quantity; Rougarou. Probably the best owner/driver there is in the fleet, with a silver medallist calling tactics. The one area they are hurting in is time on the water, so their crew work may be a bit rusty, but i peg them for top 5.

Rougarou also has a good luck charm who happens to be the toughest 120 lb. SCOTW around - Carrie Howe.

Please don't add stuff to my posts.

Sorry didn't mean to step on your toes....

Just pointing out that this site is not as up to date as it professes....

This site also said it was covering the racing (June 23, see below) and then retracked due to "prior commitments", that were said to be announced in January

The dates for BBS were announced Last September and StFYC always tries to hold large boat championships directly after BBS.

The yacht club and the "other" sailing site will have all the coverage you need.

"We have some extremely fun events on the horizon, some new faces to bring to the OTWA staff, and some new tech goodies to make it even better; we're just no good at standing still.

• June 25-27: Layline/Oakcliff Sailing Melges 24 Nationals/Melges 32 Northeast Champs (Newport, RI)
  • July 10-14th: Route Halifax-St.Pierre (Halifax, Canada)
  • July 15-18: Extreme 40 World Championship (Porotorž, Slovenia)
  • July 22-25: Melges 20 Gold Cup (Riva Del Garda, Italy)
  • August 18-22: Toyota Detroit Cup (Detroit, MI)
  • August 22-28: Little America's Cup (Newport, RI)
  • September 10-13: Big Boat Series (SF, CA)
  • September 13-17: A-Class Catamaran North Americans (North Cape, MI)
  • September 22-25: Melges 32 Worlds (San Francisco, CA)
  • September 24-26: Sailing Anarchy Sportboat Worlds (Coronado, CA) "

:blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

The yacht club and the "other" sailing site will have all the coverage you need.

The yacht club site looked pretty ordinary, I couldn't find anything on it related to the m32 worlds.

You guys have your favorites for obvious reasons.

My take is that this will be pretty difficult to call because of the raw number of high end sailors involved - specifically AC sailors.

My guess is the top 5 to 7 if not 10 will be a total dice roll. Too many talented sailors.

Go ahead and read the listcarefully and let me know how many world champs, olympic goldmedalists, america's cup vets, Volvo vets, WMRT, and TP52 sailors arethere. If you think that it's just 'a couple', you need tolearn to read, or perhaps learn to pronounce foreign names. Here'sa little list of guys that make the grade, but maybe not in yourbizarro world...And by the way, most of these guys have sailedMedCup...

ChrisRast

Coutts

Escourt

Constant

McKee

DeLuca

Paoletti

Favini

McKee

Wilmot

Kotoun

Peet

Bixby

Mirsky

Greenhalgh( x2)

Draper

Christiansen

Brady

Larson

Clarke

Goodison

Nixon

Horton

Bannatyne

Reeser

DeAngelis

Melges

Fitzpatrich

Allin

Larson (the otherone)

Brun

Pepper

Rey

Who cares how many pros are at the 32 event? Your quote was "M32 event has more top sailors," and my point was that you're worlds gotta be as bizarro as mine to think that.

so who are you replacing?

DeanBarker, AdamBeashel, DonCowie, JamesDagg, RayDavies, JeremyLomas, GrantLoretz, WinstonMacfarlane, RichardMeacham, TonyRae, JulesSalter, ChristianWard, SkipBaxter, TomBurnham, SeanClarkson, GregGendell, KevinHall, TerryHutchinson, PhilJameson, BrettJones, ChrisKam, AndrewScott, AdrianStead, MorganTrubovich, CameronAppleton, MagnusAugustson, IanBaker, StuartBettany, NoelDrennan, DaveEndean, AndyFethers, DanielFong, MicheleIvaldi, CamMarshall, RobbieNaismith, PaulCayard, BenAinslie, ChrisBrittle, MattCornwell, JulienCressant, WarwickFleury, KelvinHarrap, AndyHemmings, ChristianKamp, IainPercy, AndrewSimpson, EdwardSmythe, JamesStagg, DaveArmitage, WilliamBeavis, JohnCuttler, BrendanDarrer, ChrisDougall, SimonFisher, JonGunderson, RichardMcgarvie, GerryMitchell, JustinSlattery, EdwardTurner, GonzaloAraujo, GabrielDe Llano, HartwellJordan, VictorMariño, PedroMas, FrancisOleary, FrancescoScalici, IgnacioTriay, MarcelVan Triest, AlbertoViejo, IanWalker, FrancescoBruni, JuanPablo Cadario, MarianoCaputo, MacielCicchetti, AlejandroColla, SimonFry, GabrielMarino, MarianoParada, GuillermoParada, PedroRossi, VascoVascotto, PaulWestlake, BrunoZirilli

and to cut the list in half I'll just throw in

JochenSchuemann, SebastianCol, KarolJablonski, RodDawson

sorry to throw all those not-foreign enough names at you

/end thread jack f - u, f - u, f - u, you're cool, and i'm out

My take is that this will be pretty difficult to call because of the raw number of high end sailors involved...

+1

Beware the darkhorses.

My take is that this will be pretty difficult to call because of the raw number of high end sailors involved...

+1

Beware the darkhorses.

Their are definitely some strong amateurs in the fleet that will mix things up, like Alex Jackson. He was pretty strong on the starting line at Melges race week in the latter races and managed to do well on the weather legs. Not sure if he'll finish in the top five, but certainly one to watch. If he can improve his bear away sets it will make things interesting.

Look for Rougarooooo to be tough (Andy Driving, John tactics, Nixon speed).

Star to step it up, Full throttle with McKee, RoXanne with Horton.

PS - You left coast guys forgot Kilroy. (Stu, Morgan, strong team)

Flame on.

<<The list below has been provided to the IM32CA by ISAF and will be posted on the official notice board. Sailors listed are REQUIRED to attend a review interview of their Sailor Classification as part of the registration process in accordance with NOR 5.3.

The interviews will be conducted at the St. Francis Yacht Club. The ISAF Classification Representative will be available during the hours of Registration on Monday, September 20 and Tuesday, September 21.

On arrival for interview please ask for information at the Race Office reception desk:

USA 211 Peter Clark (BRAPC19)

USA 169 Michael Coxon (AUSMC23), Ayden Menzies (AUSAM4)

ITA 23 Luca Faravelli (ITALF7), Carlo Zermini (ITACZ5)

USA 007 Ben Beer (ISCBB1)

USA 151 Briar Macky (NZLBM3)

USA 142 Stu Pollard (AUSSP3)

USA 201 Kyle Langford (AUSKL3)

USA 166 Mark Christiansen (NZLMC6)

FRA 202 Romual Chasseray (FRARC2)

NZL 221 Jayson Herbert (NZLJH4), Matt Kelway (NZLMK3)

USA 162 Andrew Holdsworth (GBRAH4)

USA32917 MorganGutenkunst (USAMG28), Mo Hart (USAMH5)

USA 987 Tim Klein (USATK24)

USA 158 Cameron McLouskey (USACM96)

>>

<<The list below has been provided to the IM32CA by ISAF and will be posted on the official notice board. Sailors listed are REQUIRED to attend a review interview of their Sailor Classification as part of the registration process in accordance with NOR 5.3.

The interviews will be conducted at the St. Francis Yacht Club. The ISAF Classification Representative will be available during the hours of Registration on Monday, September 20 and Tuesday, September 21.

On arrival for interview please ask for information at the Race Office reception desk:

USA 211 Peter Clark (BRAPC19)

USA 169 Michael Coxon (AUSMC23), Ayden Menzies (AUSAM4)

ITA 23 Luca Faravelli (ITALF7), Carlo Zermini (ITACZ5)

USA 007 Ben Beer (ISCBB1)

USA 151 Briar Macky (NZLBM3)

USA 142 Stu Pollard (AUSSP3)

USA 201 Kyle Langford (AUSKL3)

USA 166 Mark Christiansen (NZLMC6)

FRA 202 Romual Chasseray (FRARC2)

NZL 221 Jayson Herbert (NZLJH4), Matt Kelway (NZLMK3)

USA 162 Andrew Holdsworth (GBRAH4)

USA32917 MorganGutenkunst (USAMG28), Mo Hart (USAMH5)

USA 987 Tim Klein (USATK24)

USA 158 Cameron McLouskey (USACM96)

>>

Me sees some pros in there me thinks.

How many pro drivers are there in the fleet?

Any Cat 1's need to be outed for taking brown envelopes?

Are you aware it's an owner / driver class ?

I think any of 7-10 boats could win this event. Whom ever has the the right set up and gets off the line will do well. The top three will need a great regatta and the winner will have some big luck his way for sure.

My top five in no particular order:

Star (rises to occasion at major events, new sails after very old inventory all year, fast in the breeze, Wilmot addition)

Full Throttle (history of winning in Melges boats, Mckee, always fast)

Samba Pa Ti (lots of time in boat, good sail program, strong crew)

B-Lin (best Euro team, strong crew)

Bliksem (defending champ, good sail program, time in boat, strong crew man for man)

Other tough teams:

Rougarau

Roxanne

Red

Ramrod

Pegasus

Leenabarka

Are you aware that non-owners have driven in the past?

Are you aware that non-owners have driven in the past?

It's been a while.

How many sailors on the review list have "Olympic campaigns" that have money "donated" to for their "services".......

The pre-worlds are starting today but I can't seem to get St. Francis' web page working. I tried on Google etc and my browser and I've tried it on Cometbird, Firefox, Safari, and save us all! - IE.

Is it me or? The link from the Melges 32 "events" page is broken as well.

Here you go:http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=343

It actually looks like the M32 "Bros." protested a J/105 for Rule 2, and the 105 was tossed. Anyone know more?

Screen shot 2010-09-17 at 12.52.29 AM.png

Bliksem raging, check front page for a sick onboard vid from today.

Japanese "Bros" filed a Rule 2 protest against a 105 and had her chucked, more info to come hopefully.

Bliksem and B-Lin 1 and 2...who'd a thunk it? :)

Here you go:http://www.yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=343

Thanks Teaky! But I still can't figure out the fact that St. Francis YC site seems to of disappeared.

Posted · Hidden by Hank, September 17, 2010 - all fromt page
Hidden by Hank, September 17, 2010 - all fromt page

Bliksem raging, check front page for a sick onboard vid from today.

Japanese "Bros" filed a Rule 2 protest against a 105 and had her chucked, more info to come hopefully.

Bliksem and B-Lin 1 and 2...who'd a thunk it? :)

"check front page"

wHat is DA fRoNt paGE!!

Wheirs TAT!! AT!!

liNKY..PLs

For those of you who have come to the BBS in the past and gone to the Horseshoe for a Friday night SA party...I spoke to Belinda, the owner, last night and she's keen to have the gang over again tonight.

Just got a chance to check out the vid from the front page from Bliksem. Pretty freaking AWESOME!!!! And that is coming from a multi dude.

Blixem's training program (designed by Jeremy) in the run up to SF seems to be paying off so far.

Jeremy decided they needed more than just time in boat to sharpen their driver and team skills so they went a different route than the other teams.

The NDA expires on Sunday but everyone who has been watching them train every weekend in Newport knows what we are talking about..

This is shaping up to be one of the year's all time great World championships in any class. MedCup is kind of out of touch to most of us. There is something exciting about this combination of amateur (but wealthy) owner/drivers and incredibly talented pro crews. It has a unique buzz. Good luck to Blixem, but I think the learning curve gained by other teams at the BBR is going to close the gap. Everyone is going to on their game by the Worlds. Its going to be a very tough crowd.

Memo Dixie, from the front page story. There is no N in Wilmot.

Blixem's training program (designed by Jeremy) in the run up to SF seems to be paying off so far.

Cross training is not used enough these days.

Some of Dixie's fine work:

And some from Sergei/Ultimate Yachtshots

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0063_2.jpg

DSC_0060_2.jpg

DSC_0058_3.jpg

DSC_0057_2.jpg

DSC_0053_2.jpg