Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hikingstrap

ETNZ in the X40

So a rough start today for ETNZ in the Extreme Sailing Series, but I'm just so admiring of the Kiwis. Instead of whining about how they can't win in cats, here is a team that is actually doing some POSITIVE about their lack of experience, and getting out on the water. If anyone had a lot to lose from the class switch, it was ETNZ, given how dominant they were in several types of monohull.

Seeing a red, white and black X40 out there makes TO's AC withdrawal seem all the more defeatist. This is why the Kiwis are so good. They simply never give up.

Even as an American, I can't help but root for them.

Results:

http://www.extremesailingseries.com/results/almeria/

Amen, fun stuff. They even managed a 3rd, not bad!

Does anyone know if they bought that boat?

Facebook:

<<Emirates Team New Zealand Day one complete, it was, Barker said, a great day. “We had some good races and we had some bad ones... we were over the line early in the first race and had a collision in the last one. We’re getting a handle on the tactics which are quite different than for mono-hull racing.” Tomorrow's forecast is for strong breeze which should make for some spectacular racing!>>

I dont think they are there to win the event but just to get some training hours in, thats probably why they have Bundock onboard as well.

This is good to see :)

Any serious challenger should be taking active steps to work up on multis so happy to see TNZ being one doing that.

Some seem to have forgotten that TO did 2 seasons in X40's, which probably put them in a better position than most to understand what is going on with cats and the AC. Maybe because they had that experience they were able to make a very tough call ;)

Racing postponed in Almería. Apparently too much wind (for a change).

Now if RC had been organising it they would have been out in winds of 33 knots, because he will simply have written it into the rules without having first considered the practicalities :P

Live Blog:

<<Race HQ: Skippers were just briefed about this afternoon's format. Race Direction decided to sail in groups given the strength of the wind, with no more than four boats (two groups) on the course at any one time. Reefs are compulsory, gennakers can be used...>>

Well then, good luck!

Live Blog:

<<Race HQ: Skippers were just briefed about this afternoon's format. Race Direction decided to sail in groups given the strength of the wind, with no more than four boats (two groups) on the course at any one time. Reefs are compulsory, gennakers can be used...>>

Well then, good luck!

does any one know how they right these cats when they go turtle? do they flood a hull or how? i had to use a power boat for my Tornado when it was turtle but was easy to damage with ropes on the hulls

More restrictions. Seems to be blowing quite hard ;) .

<<Race HQ: Race committee just decided to ban the use of gennakers for the first race of the afternoon.>>

wow!

Race HQ: Race 10a - Easy win for Masirah, great second place for Emirates TNZ. Groupe Edmond de Rothschild takes third, Groupama 40 finishes last after hugging the top mark in beat 1.

Some seem to have forgotten that TO did 2 seasons in X40's, which probably put them in a better position than most to understand what is going on with cats and the AC. Maybe because they had that experience they were able to make a very tough call ;)

Sure - I agree with this. The English should just quit everything. They know they are surely going to lose - quit now while ahead. Meanwhile, the Kiwis are going to spin up some experience and go racing. Keith Mills is a fucking pussy. If the fucker didn't have such a big mouth - we wouldn't even know who he was - Kiwis don't talk about it - they do it. The Brits just talk about how they are the best. But when it comes time to arrive at the starting line - they are nowhere to be found - in the pub gettin' pissed. TO is the laughing stock of the AC. Much worse than team China.

^

What video are you referring to? (Won't show.)

This?

<<5:12

Race HQ: Race 10b - A win for Ecover, boats forced to adapt to the "new course" set by Red Bull... top mark was moved some 150 metres away from initial position!

5:09

Race HQ: Red Bull drags the top mark - literally>>

Lol.

^

What video are you referring to? (Won't show.)

This?

Yes - Sorry, didn't realize it was also at a convenient Youtube link. DB speaks briefly at about 2:00

Race HQ: Race 10b - A win for Ecover, boats forced to adapt to the "new course" set by Red Bull... top mark was moved some 150 metres away from initial position!

5:09

Race HQ: Red Bull drags the top mark - literally>>

Lol.

It is funny how they just reconfigure stuff on the fly!

--

Race HQ: Red Bull moves into second, Ecover third. Emirates TNZ close behind. Boats power along the reacihng course, bows are smoking.

bows are smoking.

Indeed - visually, that was the most pleasant impact I got in Trapani.

^^

They had to reconfigure because Red Bull moved the mark :o , IIUC.

Bingo (doh!)

Looking forward to some video from today, sounds wild out there

A happy loser:

<<Race HQ: Dean Barker, Emirates Team New Zealand: “It was unbelievable, it was really a lot of fun, every race we felt like we were getting better and better, and gaining confidence in what these boats are capable of and where the limit is. We’re obviously erring on the side of caution rather than aggression as it’s a fine balance between doing both well. We had a couple of close ones at times, the races are so short, its all in the starting. The crowds give you a real buzz, it’s fantastic.”>>

A happy loser:

<<Race HQ: Dean Barker, Emirates Team New Zealand: "It was unbelievable, it was really a lot of fun, every race we felt like we were getting better and better, and gaining confidence in what these boats are capable of and where the limit is. We're obviously erring on the side of caution rather than aggression as it's a fine balance between doing both well. We had a couple of close ones at times, the races are so short, its all in the starting. The crowds give you a real buzz, it's fantastic.">>

He sounds quite stoked, maybe he will stick his nose in a bit tighter tomorrow and try overtake Red Bull.

A fresh Cammas video here, in French, from lighter-airs Day 1.

Facebook:

<<Emirates Team New Zealand Day one complete, it was, Barker said, a great day. “We had some good races and we had some bad ones... we were over the line early in the first race and had a collision in the last one. We’re getting a handle on the tactics which are quite different than for mono-hull racing.” Tomorrow's forecast is for strong breeze which should make for some spectacular racing!>>

It's not a tough assignment eh. Dean and the boys were told they have to head off and send the 40ft cat around the course somewhere sunny and windy. It would be awesome to call that 'work'. They look like they're improving - both Oracle and Alinghi had similar experiences in these events.

The only guy at ETNZ who will be really stressed out about the new format for the cup will be Grant Dalton who has to raise an insane amount of money very fast to keep them in it. If he succeeds then I am sure the team will relish the challenge and the experience.

That said - I am optimistic about the next cup because I am a kiwi and I'm sure we will be the next challenger!

The only guy at ETNZ who will be really stressed out about the new format for the cup will be Grant Dalton who has to raise an insane amount of money very fast to keep them in it. If he succeeds then I am sure the team will relish the challenge and the experience.

I hope they do raise the money but I believe that the decision they have to make is very different from the one facing SKM. In his case, it was going to be a large chunk of his own money. He also has no need to do the AC. TNZ is different. They are a professional AC team and if they don't enter, there is no reason for them being. I don't think they have any decision to make. They have to try to raise the money and if they can, they must enter. That is why they entered into the Alinghi protocol AC33.

That said - I am optimistic about the next cup because I am a kiwi and I'm sure we will be the next challenger!

I sure hope they will be because that is the only hope of anybody beating BOR/GGYC. If one of their puppet/2nd team gets to be the challenger, there is no hope!

(...)

Wrong! It should read "defender". ;)

Some video from yesterday's action

Nah, this will never interest the Facebook generation :D

There is some live RC44 coverage going on now, with a limited amount of live video included:

http://www.rc44.com/en/live/index.php

YAWN :lol:

This is the one I wish were live:

5:43 spacer.gifRace HQ: First "en piste": Red Bull pitted against Emirates TNZ. Monday October 11, 2010 5:43 Race HQ 5:41 spacer.gifRace HQ: Race Committee decides to go into Match Racing mode...

Facebook:

<<Emirates Team New Zealand Dean reports on day two at Almeria: “Today was all about low-speed manoeuvring, boat control and positioning around the start line. We have to work on that until it becomes second nature. It was really a lot of fun. We had a couple of close ones at times today and managed to bury the boat approaching the first mark in our fourth race. We were under water – just had to hang on until the boat popped up again.”>>

Edit: Probably a comment from yesterday.

There is some live RC44 coverage going on now, with a limited amount of live video included:

http://www.rc44.com/en/live/index.php

YAWN :lol:

This is the one I wish were live:

5:43 spacer.gifRace HQ: First "en piste": Red Bull pitted against Emirates TNZ. Monday October 11, 2010 5:43 Race HQ 5:41 spacer.gifRace HQ: Race Committee decides to go into Match Racing mode...

Update, woohoo!

Race HQ: Dean Barker beats Roman Hagara... next up, Groupama 40 against Rumbo Almeria.

The English should just quit everything. They know they are surely going to lose - quit now while ahead. Meanwhile, the Kiwis are going to spin up some experience and go racing.

Are you talking about the English crew that just won the X40 series, the ones that came 3rd or the English crew of the 4th boat? Or the English team that won the Bermuda Gold Cup at the weekend?

[wouldn't normally rise but the weekend's results made it too easy]

The English should just quit everything. They know they are surely going to lose - quit now while ahead. Meanwhile, the Kiwis are going to spin up some experience and go racing.

Are you talking about the English crew that just won the X40 series, the ones that came 3rd or the English crew of the 4th boat? Or the English team that won the Bermuda Gold Cup at the weekend?

[wouldn't normally rise but the weekend's results made it too easy]

Some news here on that part

Ben Ainslie and Iain Percy bow out of Team Origin with resounding win

Ben Ainslie and Iain Percy bowed out of Team Origin with a resounding win in the Argo Group Gold Cup in Bermuda but are now searching for a new sponsor to enable them to continue their campaign for 2010 World Match Racing Tour crown.

contd

I hope they do raise the money but I believe that the decision they have to make is very different from the one facing SKM. In his case, it was going to be a large chunk of his own money. He also has no need to do the AC. TNZ is different. They are a professional AC team and if they don't enter, there is no reason for them being. I don't think they have any decision to make. They have to try to raise the money and if they can, they must enter. That is why they entered into the Alinghi protocol AC33.

You're absolutely right Simon. For SKM it's about winning the event and enjoying it. Ideally he'd want both, but if you can't guarantee at least one of them why would he drop millions (hundreds of millions) of dollars on the exercise?

ETNZ need to raise some serious money before they're definite, but I suspect they will get over the line. They are trading off their reputation now. I must say Grant Dalton has been a fine custodian of the team and has made some good decisions over the past few years to keep it afloat and preserve their brand equity. Team Origin were not quite in the same place, even though they had the human capital and potential, they couldn't fall back on a long-standing record in the Cup. It's still a great shame they wont be there though.

I sure hope they will be because that is the only hope of anybody beating BOR/GGYC. If one of their puppet/2nd team gets to be the challenger, there is no hope!

I think the Kiwis know that hanging in there and getting to the event will give them an odds-on chance of being the Challenger, and if they're in the finals they have a shot at winning it. They might be a bit behind the curve this time around, but they will be richer for the experience if they don't get it this time. Despite what some people say, kiwis will enjoy this format when it happens. Combined with the Volvo stopover in Auckland, sailing will gain more interest in the eyes of the public over the next couple of years.

New at TD$

--

VIDEO: Dean Barker goes to cat school

The Emirates Team New Zealand on jumping in the deep end at the Extreme Sailing Series

Tuesday October 12th 2010, Author: James Boyd, Location: Spain Yesterday thedailysail was fortunate enough to join Dean Barker and his Emirates Team New Zealand crew on board their Extreme 40 at the Extreme Sailing Series regatta in Almeria. This is the first occasion Barker has competed in a catamaran and it has been very much a case of in at the deep end.

In this clip Dean Barker talks about how he's getting on making the move to two hulls:

New at TD$

--

VIDEO: Dean Barker goes to cat school

In this clip Dean Barker talks about how he's getting on making the move to two hulls:

A really good interview there, worth the price of admission all by itself.

On about if ETNZ will continue racing in this series, DB answers that it depends on how the Extreme Sailing series events will sync with the AC45 events. If it is possible to, then he expects they will decide to do both. It is his understanding that the surrogate rule does not come into play until 2012, meaning 2011 is wide open to the possibility.

Could suggest more interest by potential AC teams

--

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/sailing/8060314/Paul-Campbell-James-ends-Extreme-season-on-a-high-with-win-in-Almeria.html

The Almeria regatta marks the end of the 2010 season, which comprised 130 races over five events but the America’s Cup shift into multihulls has signalled a major hike in activity for 2011 with eight events confirmed across Europe, the USA, the Far East and Middle East.

a few db comments at here

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Emirates-Team-NZ:-Almeria-mission-accomplished/75751

'We (bowman Jeremy Lomas and grinder Winston Macfarlane) have a much better understanding of what’s required to get to the level necessary ... and we are confident that if we concentrated on acquiring these skills they would come very quickly.

http://www.sail-world.com/Australia/Emirates-Team-NZ:-Almeria-mission-accomplished/75751

'We (bowman Jeremy Lomas and grinder Winston Macfarlane) have a much better understanding of what’s required to get to the level necessary ... and we are confident that if we concentrated on acquiring these skills they would come very quickly.

I have never doubted the abilty of the sailors to come to grips with sailing multis. I used to coach Hugh Styles, who went from being one of the top Laser sailors in Europe (European Champ beating Ainslie) to coming 5th in the Olympics in 3 years (not because of my coaching!!).

http://www.sail-worl...omplished/75751

'We (bowman Jeremy Lomas and grinder Winston Macfarlane) have a much better understanding of what's required to get to the level necessary ... and we are confident that if we concentrated on acquiring these skills they would come very quickly.

I have never doubted the abilty of the sailors to come to grips with sailing multis. I used to coach Hugh Styles, who went from being one of the top Laser sailors in Europe (European Champ beating Ainslie) to coming 5th in the Olympics in 3 years (not because of my coaching!!).

That's pretty cool.

In the TDS video interview DB talks some about this, saying how while a lot of the racing principals are the same, the strategy differences lie in the speed and maneuverability changes, plus those short confined courses on the X40 circuit.

http://www.sail-worl...omplished/75751

'We (bowman Jeremy Lomas and grinder Winston Macfarlane) have a much better understanding of what's required to get to the level necessary ... and we are confident that if we concentrated on acquiring these skills they would come very quickly.

That's pretty cool.

In the TDS video interview DB talks some about this, saying how while a lot of the racing principals are the same, the strategy differences lie in the speed and maneuverability changes, plus those short confined courses on the X40 circuit.

Exactly.

What is match racing. It's one against another. Boat speed, race speed, strategy, tactics.

The first time I tried windsurf racing after 470's I crawled ashore exhausted from close on 60 gybes and all the associated stuff. It was a whole new ball game, very different from the int regatta circus but still having to crosss that line ahead. If you want to play the game one has to figure it out and deal with it, like moving from triangle (remember them) to trap courses.

As a matter of interest does an FD tack much quicker than a T cat or who would bet on a V5 against an AC72

Oh 2 cents worth and all that, I thought BA's comments on Oracle having the legs up in wing lift and drag quite astute.

Still, no challengers to give O sleepless nights - unfortunately.

at the BOR blog, includes pics and a video

--

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gold and bronze in match racing at RC 44 Worlds

BMW ORACLE Racing skipper Jimmy Spithill and the crew of 17 – Skip Baxter, Jonas Hviid-Nielsen, Kyle Langford, Joey Newton, Bryce Ruthenberg, Piet van Nieuwenhuyzen and Matt von Bibra – have captured the gold medal in the match racing portion of the RC 44 World Championship for the Islas Canarias Puerto Calero Cup.

It is the first match racing victory for Spithill on the RC 44 circuit this year. Previously in 2005, Spithill won the ISAF World Match Racing Championship.

contd

Day 3

Beautiful, gorgeous stuff... love how those boats look like they'll do en endo any second.

Who couldn't get excited by this?

oops, video was at a different link

I sure hope that video isn't an example of what they're going to do for the 'Facebook generation'. If I'm nodding off to sleep in boredom at the 0:30 mark, you can bet the twenty somethings are long gone.

I think Hughie was 6 behind another mono guy you might think about for this AC----Dickson

Anything fun/interesting said here by Bruni? (Italian)

Not much:

the RC44 is a difficult boat to sail

blah blah

It's hard to be competitive against the sailors who sailed the RC for 2 or 3 years, but his team is improving

blah blah

Azzurra ran out of money

blah blah

Azzurra is not interested in a multihull AC

blah blah

He's going to sail with Sinergy in Dubai

blah blah

He should be onboard Mascalzone for the Cup, but other teams are interested on him

blah blah

I prefer monohulls for AC, but he will learn how to sail those winged multis

blah blah

It's hard to speak italian on a racing boat, because there are always some english sailors onboard

Not much:

the RC44 is a difficult boat to sail

blah blah

It's hard to be competitive against the sailors who sailed the RC for 2 or 3 years, but his team is improving

blah blah

Azzurra ran out of money

blah blah

Azzurra is not interested in a multihull AC

blah blah

He's going to sail with Sinergy in Dubai

blah blah

He should be onboard Mascalzone for the Cup, but other teams are interested on him

blah blah

I prefer monohulls for AC, but he will learn how to sail those winged multis

blah blah

It's hard to speak italian on a racing boat, because there are always some english sailors onboard

Thanks. A google translation of a small part of it:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.zerogradinord.net/vela/americas-cup/americas-cup-aria-di-mascalzone-latino-per-francesco-bruni/&ei=7Aa2TJr3LIKusAOnn93vCA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCUQ7gEwADgK&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522america%2527s%2Bcup%2522%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Dqdr:d,sbd:1,blg:1%26prmd%3Divln

new at the bor blog

--

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

From the skipper

Jimmy Spithill comments on winning the RC 44 Match Racing World Championship:

RC44PCAL010D3_0639.jpg

It feels fantastic. We had some good preparation beforehand with our coach, Philippe Presti, and our teammates on BMW ORACLE Racing. As a team we're sailing a lot better than when we first entered the class this year. It's very satisfying; we had some tough conditions and some top competition.

contd

NZ Herald:

<<Yachting: Barker finds he's got plenty to learn

For Team New Zealand skipper Dean Barker, his first foray in competitive multihull sailing has been a humbling experience, but also a valuable one.

With the next America's Cup in 2013 to be staged in high-tech wing-masted catamarans, Emirates Team New Zealand have shifted their focus to multihull sailing.

Their swift introduction came last weekend when Barker and his Team New Zealand crewmates Jeremy Lomas and Winston McFarlane, with Australian multihull specialist Darren Bundock, took part in the final round of the Extreme 40 series in Almeria, Spain.

From a results point of view Team New Zealand had a regatta they would rather forget, finishing last - 25 points from the next placegetter.

There were a couple of creditable race results, but for the most part Team New Zealand's inexperience in the Extreme 40 class was obvious.

For a skipper at the top of his game in monohulls, finding himself at the bottom of the heap in a new class could be a demoralising experience, but Barker said he was always realistic about to expect in Spain.

"It's been a very refreshing experience, completely different to anything I've raced before. There's certainly a lot of challenges. You know what you want to do, it's just executing it is another matter, which is really frustrating," he said.

(continued)>>

So a rough start today for ETNZ in the Extreme Sailing Series, but I'm just so admiring of the Kiwis. Instead of whining about how they can't win in cats, here is a team that is actually doing some POSITIVE about their lack of experience, and getting out on the water. If anyone had a lot to lose from the class switch, it was ETNZ, given how dominant they were in several types of monohull.

Seeing a red, white and black X40 out there makes TO's AC withdrawal seem all the more defeatist. This is why the Kiwis are so good. They simply never give up.

Results:

http://www.extremesa...esults/almeria/

RESPECT!

Good to see the boys getting some training done.

--

Yachting: Cup role decided by early next year

Team New Zealand's CEO Grant Dalton expects to know if they will take part in the new, multi-hulled America's Cup by early next year.

Timed for 2013 at a venue yet to be decided (but which should be known by Christmas), the Cup is following a new blueprint as laid down by BMW Oracle. It will be raced in 72-foot (21.95m) catamarans with wing-sails, prefaced by a series in 45-foot catamarans with points accruing towards a challenger series.

More detail has yet to be divulged but while some, like Britain's Team Origin, have thrown their hands up in the air and have disbanded their team and all hope of winning the Cup, Emirates Team NZ are keeping an open mind.

Cup skipper Dean Barker has returned from the Extreme 40 sailing series in Spain. He and other ETNZ crew members finished eighth and last in the 40-foot, high performance catamarans, gaining ideal preparation for what might lie ahead in the America's Cup.

The 45-foot catamaran series of five regattas will begin next year, so decisions are needed quickly about commitment. Similarly, the 72-footer will need to be launched in 2012, with building starting no later than June next year.

While Dalton says he won't be surprised if Cup entries are down for the next regatta, he says his "guesstimation" is that Emirates Team NZ might be able to compete for about the same overall cost as the last Cup regatta in Valencia in 2007.

"We might be wrong about that so we still have work to do before we make a decision."

ETNZ has always prided itself on financial discipline and, while he won't divulge the costs, Dalton clearly believes it can be done for a great deal less than the enormous €135 million ($250 million) advanced by some quarters within TeamOrigin, for instance.

contd

Couple of days old now but doesn't seem to have been mentioned round here

flying

Belying Grant Dalton reports that ETNZ hasn't made the go-ahead call for the winged AC, the guys in Toronto couldn't keep the news under their belt anymore: Little America's Cup Champion crew (Canaan), C-Class wing/foil co-designer, and long time anarchist Magnus Clarke is on a plane to Aotearoa to head to his new job this week doing much of what he did for Fred Eaton but for ETNZ; make up cool shit, scribble it down, and then figure out how to make it work. He'll also be presumably handling logistics and storage and so on for the wing; Magnus is not only a distinguished racer, designer, and tinkerer; he also had the role of head wing-sitter in Valencia for BMW/Oracle. In fact, Magnus still had a day job as an architect for all those years that he was earning the right to be called one of the most experienced wing sailors and operators and even designer, and now he's following his dream about as far as a human being could get from Canada. This pic of Magnus sliding down the NYYC lawn from Meredith Block, and you can refresh your recollection about the Little AC by checking out the complete 'TV Guide" to the coverage here.

Ironically, the same Kiwis that everyone in the world looks to when searching for the best sailors are now raiding Canada, with Little AC multiple champ designer Steve Killing headed down South as well. Might we see more of our Canadian anarchists on an AC team's wish list? Who knows, but one thing we can be certain of when these two are involved: Outside the box is pretty much standard, and if there's a loophole to be exploited, Mag, Killing and Dalts will find it. "If" they enter, of course...

Meanwhile, the first forty-five foot winged mini-beast is well advanced in Warkworth, a short drive North of Auckland. Have a look at it here.

10/18/10

Fuck. yeah. :D

Couple of days old now but doesn't seem to have been mentioned round here

About Magnus, only twice :P

Don't know about Steve Killing, though: he's the one contrarian on rocker for multi hulls

OK, haven't exactly been reading everything round here.

Also that quote was from the Front Page (yes it exists!)