Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vtsail

Ft. Lauderdale to Key West

I recently got invited to do the Ft Lauderdale to Key West race in Jan. Has anyone ever done it? Is it fun/worth doing? Any war stories/tips/suggestions?

And not KW Race Week following? You are getting screwed! Yes do it. Big downwind fun usually.

I recently got invited to do the Ft Lauderdale to Key West race in Jan. Has anyone ever done it? Is it fun/worth doing? Any war stories/tips/suggestions?

Do it. Very very fun race. Not too taxing. Use the search function, many threads on it.

My linkhttp://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=98858&hl=lauderdale%20key%20west&st=0

did it for the first time last year. lots of fun. hoping to do it again this year (got one or two leads so far).

Do IT !

Nothing like a nice overnight dodging unlit spider markers and other unlit 'privately maintained' mooring bouys.

Finish in the morning and you are at Key West ! What is not to love?

post-1984-001107000 1286913772_thumb.jpg

Okay, just 43 more days to go. Currently 23 boats signed up....Who's in?

I was invited this year and will be doing it for my first time. I'm hoping for a very fast downwind ride

Do it. And ignore what someone said about getting screwed. I stopped doing the silly around the buoys stuff down there years ago. The ride down the keys can be awesome.

Still looking for a ride. Willing and capable of filling any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.

Yeah this will be my first one as well....Hopefully get the chute up and keep it up the whole way down.

Still looking for a ride. Willing and capable of filling any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.

Last yr it was 30 in Lauderdale and 40 in Key West

Still looking for a ride. Willing to and capable of fill any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.

Fixed :D

Last yr it was 30 in Lauderdale and 40 in Key West

Cold weather is fine as long as it's accompanied by a change of scenery.

Still looking for a ride. Willing to and capable of fill any position on any boat. Comfortable in any weather situation... just not the cold stuff that will be going on here in the Northeast. Full resume and references available upon request.

Fixed :D

I don't see you signed up for the race either ;)

29 boats signed up now and some fun ones to watch....looks like Carlo's dad is bringing his Ker 43 from the Netherlands.

And not KW Race Week following? You are getting screwed! Yes do it. Big downwind fun usually.

I did it once, and the race down was great, except that the skipper would not listen to the naviguesser (me) and we fought the Gulfstream current as smaller boats sailed well inside us (where I told him we should be).

Beating back up the edge of the Gulfstream on the way back to Miami was by far the most miserable sailing experience of my life, and the only time I have been close to motion sickness on a boat. I think the only reason I didn't actually throw up was that when a wave filled the cockpit where I was in fetal position, I got too damn cold to throw up.

I did it once, and the race down was great, except that the skipper would not listen to the naviguesser (me) and we fought the Gulfstream current as smaller boats sailed well inside us (where I told him we should be).

Beating back up the edge of the Gulfstream on the way back to Miami was by far the most miserable sailing experience of my life, and the only time I have been close to motion sickness on a boat. I think the only reason I didn't actually throw up was that when a wave filled the cockpit where I was in fetal position, I got too damn cold to throw up.

couple posts about how cold it was. Just looking at the averages and the average low in FL is 60. That'll seem very warm since it's been around 32 here

yeah dont be fooled, it can still drop down and be pretty damn cold in florida for a few days. the water is still warm, but, the air can get decently cold. The other thing to remember is that you can get suckered into thinking "its florida", and not pack/wear the right gear. Or, if you live in florida, not even own the right gear...

Welcome back! We'll have to get several dozen more donuts for you this time!

did it for the first time last year. lots of fun. hoping to do it again this year (got one or two leads so far).

Do the race! I prefer US 1 for the trip home, with a mandatory stop at Gilberts for one last gasp before returning to the real world.

Anyone know the email addy's for the 2 seacarts who are coming down to do this? If so, can you PM it to me ?

Thanks.

C

Cliff/Sol don't forget to write us a story, and keep it stick-up!

We're off to Europe tomorrow, look forward to following y'all.

Do the race!

I would love to, wanna hook me up?

Would love to.... trying to hook meself up at the moment.... The ride I've had for the last few years isn't going this year, and I haven't heard back from my alternate for an alarming period of time.

Do the race!

Would love to.... trying to hook meself up at the moment.... The ride I've had for the last few years isn't going this year, and I haven't heard back from my alternate for an alarming period of time.

It's just as tough on my end Sol. I've been stooping to remarkable levels to try and dredge up a reason to go south this winter.

Do the race!

It's just as tough on my end Sol. I've been stooping to remarkable levels to try and dredge up a reason to go south this winter.

So what you are saying is that you would suck a dick to get a ride for a silly sailboat race? Troubling.

Do the race!

So what you are saying is that you would suck a dick to get a ride for a silly sailboat race? Troubling.

Either pull some strings for me or go play in traffic Lee :)

And I say that with the utmost of respect and humility.

Bump. 2 Weeks to go and 49 registered. Sitting in the snowy NE praying for a warm downhill ride.

Nanuq, big slow 5ksb, however, praying for a downhill ride so we could maybe see some double digits. U?

Nanuq, big slow 5ksb, however, praying for a downhill ride so we could maybe see some double digits. U?

Between two at the moment. Waiting for confirmation from the home front before I pull the trigger on plane tickets. If/when that happens I'll let you know.

Nice PR on the radio down there, as reported on the infamous front page...

For those looking for some 'local knowledge' on the Lauderdale area, Morgan Reeser penned a very useful story for this race in the brand new iPhone/iPad App and browser-friendly e-zine "SailRacingMagazine." First issue is free, and the Lauderdale piece is on P. 66.

Full disclosure: They just became the newest SA advertiser, and you might find a column in there on the US racing scene from a notoriously obnoxious bald dude.

http://www.sailracingmagazine.com/

Wondering if the Condor 40 in the Multihull fleet is the old "Intruder" from up here on the Great Lakes?

Have a reat Sleigh ride gang. Wish I could have made it. Go the Mirage!!!!

Despite the light start it looks like Bella Mente might have a shot at the record. They're off Marathon Airport doing 18 knots with about 50 miles to go. Can anyone check my math?

Not going to happen. Current record is 10:24 by Carrera, I'd guess that Bella is still 3-3.5hrs out. They're just over 8hrs into it at this point. Still a great day. Curious that the Secart was running them down until dark but is now significantly slower and definitely not sailing to their rating. Either broke something or being new to the boat didn't want to push too hard.

easier to flip after dark.

but then you know that very well.

wtf happened to BG?

Go Sundog!!

From Stuey on Aerodyne 38 Thin Ice (my ride last year):

"Just had to ditch the 3a. Was CRUSHING with it! Halfway with jib top up. TWS 25 now out of North"

"Correction: TWS now 30"

Sporty conditions here on the luxury liner. Doghouse working hard on the wheel to send it down the line. I'm not sure this will get out, but here it is.

seems like some of the trackers stopped working at some point... shows boats turned back yet the finishes now show them finished...

Bump...

Wondering if the Condor 40 in the Multihull fleet is the old "Intruder" from up here on the Great Lakes?

Thin Ice gets second in class, finished earlier than ever for them. good show.

Go the Mirage!!!!!! Way to get em Christian and crew!!!!

Congratulations to the PHRF Overall Winner !

a J105...

How's that? According to the finish times it looks like 4 others (B and C Fleet) corrected out in front of the J105. Mirage, Hobie 33, looks to be in first.

Mirage, Hobie 33, looks to be in first.

2nd time for Christian - he did it in 2005 too!

This isn't the first time that a Hobie 33 was PHRF Overall winner and I'll bet it won't be the last.

Congratulations Christian and crew.

Have a Hobie day!

+1

Tip o' the hat to the Fuhrer.

Indeed. Awesome performance. And the same to my Israeli buddy Alex who crewed on the boat. Cripes, there has to be a joke in there somewhere, but Alex could probably do it better justice than I....

+1

Tip o' the hat to the Fuhrer.

Indeed. Awesome performance. And the same to my Israeli buddy Alex who crewed on the boat. Cripes, there has to be a joke in there somewhere, but Alex could probably do it better justice than I....

Congrats on keeping the boat together and kicking booty.

Great go'in Christian! Mirage and Holy Toledo, 1,2 says alot I know both of the boats are very well set up and very well sailed! Congrats!!!

Sol,

Did Alex used to own a Hobie? My dead brain cells can not remember the name of the boat.

Risky Business? Red something?

Help

AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH NIIIICCCEEEEEE VERRRRY NIIIIIIIICCCEEEE!!! Go The Mirage!!!!!!!

Truely a Hobie Day!!!!

I'm sure the race was calm cool and collected, the rig was down and the keel was up by the time the heads were shaking at the dock.

Guess my backing plates held up.

Now I remember why I had a rule about not delivering the boat home in January.... The last boat had decent tacking angles. I'm going to remember the rule this time. Really. I don't love the smell of Cay Sal in the morning.

Hobie 33 did win overall, I must have been overwhelmed sitting at my --- desk

Regret error.

Sail Safe

I knew it couldn't be possible for a J/105 to win, even with the gift rating.

It would be almost as bad as if a J/92 won with it's GIFT rating

Now I remember why I had a rule about not delivering the boat home in January.... The last boat had decent tacking angles. I'm going to remember the rule this time. Really. I don't love the smell of Cay Sal in the morning.

Tacking through 105 degrees makes for bad VMG. At least you weren't on the Schooner, they looked they they were tacking through like 120 going to the finish....

What a ride it was....That last beat certainly was a killer. We saw gusts to 36 and were doing more than 8knts over the ground in some pretty good waves. Great way to start off the day! Also congrats to Christian, not only did he win the race, but judging by his performance at Sloppy Joe's on Friday night he may very well have won the party as well!

Ishmael just sent in a great story and pics from multi-class winning Flight Simulator. Check the front page in a couple hours for it.