Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Touch of Gray

Speedboat

Just walking about Newport shipyard and saw bns pealing off the name. Said she was now Rambler. I'd post a pic if I knew how.

TOG

Just walking about Newport shipyard and saw bns pealing off the name. Said she was now Rambler. I'd post a pic if I knew how.

TOG

If ya got enough cash, you can name it what ya want. Newport Shipyard is a pretty cool place to walk around.

TOG

I saw them out on Sunday afternoon, reached down the Bay with a reacher (or Code 0), rolled it up and put up a jib and went blowing back down the Bay and out into the ocean. Shitty IPhone pictures attached.

Nothing against Alex Jackson after all he conceived this awesome speed machine but I’m excited to hear George David purchased the monster.

David knows how to campaign a maxi.

Nothing against Alex Jackson after all he conceived this awesome speed machine but I’m excited to hear George David purchased the monster.

David knows how to campaign a maxi.

Yeah, now in the Block (distance) Race we'll probably see that bad boy heading back to the barn before we pass Stratford Shoal...

I wonder if he will bring it down to St Maarten for the Heineken Regatta--last year the 90 footer was there. He got crushed by Tom Hill in Titan XIV

Word is that K Read with his PUMA boys are fully involved. This thing is finally getting ramped up! Full season of racing for the new and improved Rambler. Read and company will be with them until the new PUMA ride comes out early summer. Nice little training boat eh?

Did his Ex wife get the old Rambler??

word on the street is, George is keeping both. the JK 100 can't go 'round the buoys real well.

-Nathan

word on the street is, George is keeping both. the JK 100 can't go 'round the buoys real well.

-Nathan

Probably couldnt even give Rambler way anyhow.

Might as well keep her for a daysailor

KP apparently turned down a Speedboat donation

This is good news, lets see it get used, Syd-Hob entries are open...

Word is that K Read with his PUMA boys are fully involved. This thing is finally getting ramped up! Full season of racing for the new and improved Rambler. Read and company will be with them until the new PUMA ride comes out early summer. Nice little training boat eh?

That would be AWESOME to get the Puma guys on this!!! I really hope the rumer is true. That would be good for both parties. Can you imagin what that'll do for Puma's campaign? Train on a boat that's significantly faster then a VO70, and in the Volvo race at speed everything is just that much more manageable. Desisions come quicker... Also, from the ex-speedboat side of it. They'll have an experianced Ocean Team on it that's built for blue water racing. Origen is a good team, but it's a course/America's Cup team. I don't really know what I'm talking about... but this seems like it'll be fun to watch pan out!!! I wonder if it's mission will still be collecting records or if it'll turn it's eyes on winning races?

Props to Alex Jackson for building this thing, now lets see what she can do!!! I can't wait!

-Nathan

My info is that George has not purchased the boat but has leased it for one year. Pretty well connected source. It will leave for Ft Lauderdale soon.

Perfect training boat for the next Volvo. George has been a longer time supporter so it makes perfect sense.

So the Rambler had already had the Puma crew on it for a while. I think they have plenty of work to do on their last generation boat, so that they don't necessarily need Rambler. I know they are/have been rebuilding the bow section, and the new boat is close to already in build. I am pretty sure they don't need and old boat like Rambler to train on...

My info is that George has not purchased the boat but has leased it for one year. Pretty well connected source. It will leave for Ft Lauderdale soon.

This is what I heard about a week ago from the guy getting it all back together. . .

The new / old / messed up alfa is headed here for next summer also. . .

Oh the fun

TOG

If ya got enough cash, you can name it what ya want. Newport Shipyard is a pretty cool place to walk around.

Word. I was there with the wife 2 weeks ago and stayed at the Hyatt just so we could walk by there. Between Il Mostro in it's cradle, Speedboat looking sexy at it's slip, and some of the cruisers it certainly is a cool place.

TOG

The original Rambler is in the water over at New England Boatworks in Portsmouth RI. Pretty amazing.

Finally..! Just when Speedboat was headed for the same junkyard as Genuine Risk a real boat owner has rescued her.! George runs a great campaign and went out of his way to help the Doriean Family after the loss of Spike. I met some of his crew at Spike's wake and they all spoke highly of George. If anyone can get her going and winning some regattas around the world I'm sure his team can.

Look forward to the "Ranmble" coming soon..!

Why couldn't he give rambler away???

I'd take her!!

and do what? live in it?

With some minor alterations anything is possible....

TOG

what are bn's?

<fetches popcorn>

bn is short for boat nanny

We used to call it something else, but not longer PC to do so.....

TOG

The original Rambler is in the water over at New England Boatworks in Portsmouth RI. Pretty amazing.

She was sitting in her cradle this past weekend

Wait IBNA FoEver.

Because you & I were both "BN"s back in the day, can't we get some kinda grandfather clause to use it for discussion amongst.....

Kinda like the understanding rappers have...

Finally..! Just when Speedboat was headed for the same junkyard as Genuine Risk a real boat owner has rescued her.! George runs a great campaign and went out of his way to help the Doriean Family after the loss of Spike. I met some of his crew at Spike's wake and they all spoke highly of George. If anyone can get her going and winning some regattas around the world I'm sure his team can.

Genuine Risk isnt in a junk yard yet. Still sitting in Batlimore next to Beau Gueste and another boat I cant see from my 95 commute. Personally, I think its all because they painted it that aweful brown fade job. Certainly looks like crap next to Beau Gueste.

Genuine Risk isnt in a junk yard yet. Still sitting in Batlimore next to Beau Gueste and another boat I cant see from my 95 commute. Personally, I think its all because they painted it that aweful brown fade job. Certainly looks like crap next to Beau Gueste.

3rd boat = Vanquish.

GR ain't dead by any means - the BDA win proved that (the little studmuffin Ralfie sacrificed a hip for that one).

So the Rambler had already had the Puma crew on it for a while. I think they have plenty of work to do on their last generation boat, so that they don't necessarily need Rambler. I know they are/have been rebuilding the bow section, and the new boat is close to already in build. I am pretty sure they don't need and old boat like Rambler to train on...

My guess is it will have something to do with budget & sail restrictions on the VO70s. Makes sense to do this testing & crew training on what is basically a larger vo70 designed by the same guy designing your new ride.

Because you & I were both "BN"s back in the day, can't we get some kinda grandfather clause to use it for discussion amongst.....

Was in Antigua looking at some historical site with Desmond Nicholson and some other folks. I made some comment about about some artifact he was showing us, a rats bone or some such. He asked if I was a biologist. I replied, no sir, I'm a boat N____r. He was only a tad flustered. We all used the term; yes just like the brothas do now. Anyone still have their IBNA t-shirt? Windward Passage tee is the only one that has survived since '82. That and a torn old Boomerang golf shirt...... And how about the IBBA? "In us they Thrust"!! LOL!

Reminds me of this episode...

Clerks 2 Porch Monkeys

Was in Antigua looking at some historical site with Desmond Nicholson and some other folks. I made some comment about about some artifact he was showing us, a rats bone or some such. He asked if I was a biologist. I replied, no sir, I'm a boat N____r. He was only a tad flustered. We all used the term; yes just like the brothas do now. Anyone still have their IBNA t-shirt? Windward Passage tee is the only one that has survived since '82. That and a torn old Boomerang golf shirt...... And how about the IBBA? "In us they Thrust"!! LOL!

Well - there is still the annual boatniggers ball in Naptown...........

3rd boat = Vanquish.

GR ain't dead by any means - the BDA win proved that (the little studmuffin Ralfie sacrificed a hip for that one).

I think he lost his sense of humor as well after the original sponsor fell through about 2 months before the race. From what I hear they had a great time though. GR is a very interesting boat and the Academy has done great things for it. The original sponsor wanted to paint it. They should have taken him up on it.

Rambler 100 entered in the Montego Bay Race. George David seems serious about doing well in this Atlantic Ocean Racing Series. Also, the race itself seems to be up in participation because of it's inclusion in the AORS with as many entries 6 weeks out as they had overall in 2009. 5 more to go until they top 2007.