elboracho

Farrier F-85SR

Evil Gnome is halfway between Mad Hatters long cabin and the short day sailing one, mine is built with E glass and epoxy with carbon where the plans specify.

Did you build your rudders Clive or are they recycled from a cat?

Wayne

Plan #21 rings a bell Nelson. Last planset I believe sold but as always Ian will know best. We have an Antrim 40' demountable in design that will be a bit special.

Enjoy your boats

Jessica and Craig

Trimaran Forte'

I went back to see if I had any info on how many plans sold. I may actually have plan set #21, need to double check this. They were Craig's plans from this thread. I'll be loosing my shop space in a few months. I hope to get another space suitable for building by the end of our summer.

Are Evil Gnome and Mad Hatter both long cabin hulls built in glass?

I checked the plan book and it looks like you wrote a #21 on the cover. So it's settled then!

Evil Gnome is halfway between Mad Hatters long cabin and the short day sailing one, mine is built with E glass and epoxy with carbon where the plans specify.

Did you build your rudders Clive or are they recycled from a cat?

Wayne

They are the 85 rudders about 200mm shorter, why because the one that broke I added a bit inside the casting so the load point was not on the exit of the casting, i'll get a measurement of their length ewhen the boat gets home, it's having a short holiday in Wangi waiting for next weekends Heaven Can Wait 12 hour race, also did a bearing on the last trip home from wangi, boat stayed together, trailer broke

No not buying Zephyr, Jim is doing a one off for us based on our design brief.

Jessica and Craig

We have an Antrim 40' demountable in design that will be a bit special.

Jessica and Craig

Trimaran Forte'

Did you purchase Zephyr???

-MH

Yes Nelson I wrote that on the plan set at work at FM because Ian came in at morning break and told me the number so I wrote it down there and then.

Craig

Plan #21 rings a bell Nelson. Last planset I believe sold but as always Ian will know best. We have an Antrim 40' demountable in design that will be a bit special.

Enjoy your boats

Jessica and Craig

Trimaran Forte'

I went back to see if I had any info on how many plans sold. I may actually have plan set #21, need to double check this. They were Craig's plans from this thread. I'll be loosing my shop space in a few months. I hope to get another space suitable for building by the end of our summer.

Are Evil Gnome and Mad Hatter both long cabin hulls built in glass?

I checked the plan book and it looks like you wrote a #21 on the cover. So it's settled then!

I think there were more than 21 sold as I think the plan set I have is more than that but I would need to check. The plan set is languishing in my office draw, always too busy to build it at the moment, shame.

D Wayne G you are just an F85SR slut! Clive, Is Madhatter doing the HCW 12 hr too? Im in for the One Lap dash,Chidz is in with "Eat Desert First" too, Sprint 750 mk1. Looking good for tri racing, hope it blows! Hope yours stays together this year.

D Wayne G you are just an F85SR slut! Clive, Is Madhatter doing the HCW 12 hr too? Im in for the One Lap dash,Chidz is in with "Eat Desert First" too, Sprint 750 mk1. Looking good for tri racing, hope it blows! Hope yours stays together this year.

EDF when she was LDT did the one lap in 2012 or 13. Tri Flying usually does it. TT used to do 24 hrs but not with me, I'm too old for that. If i was there I'd do the one lap but im not.

I see on the HCW entries we have 32 entries so far.

Multies are: lil Johnny doing one lap; Clive & me doing 12 hour; and Ken in the Dog Watch + an 82R from Canberra doing the 24hr (mad bastards - I like it).

No sign of Phil & the Hatter yet ...

No other Wangi boys???

Or Pittwater kids for that matter??

Chidz, sorry but I won't be there.

I had planned to at least do the one lap dash but can't even make that now.

Just poor planning on my part as I thought it was on the following weekend.

If the people who bought the plans only knew what they have, they would be building them now.

I wonder how many plan sets were sold?

That is true and it would be interesting to know how many plans are actually used to build a boat. My boat ( plan #2 ) will hopefully splash somewhere next year, and I know of another being build in west-australia.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss out too. But HTFU guys 24hrs or nuthin I say!

One lap and 12hr is a dawdle... especially now that it is run in these warmer months. Its how you setup for 24hrs that separates the sailors from the adventures :) Its hard, you will swear that you will never do it again and it will be something you will remember long after a normal race. Do it once and then call me a liar.

I think there were more than 21 sold as I think the plan set I have is more than that but I would need to check. The plan set is languishing in my office draw, always too busy to build it at the moment, shame.

How much did these plan sets sell for?? Just curious.

$1995 USD

Bargain!

Humm..... and then how do you realistically go about getting the hulls made? Do these detail the form structure of the hulls so that you can make your own mold?

Humm..... and then how do you realistically go about getting the hulls made? Do these detail the form structure of the hulls so that you can make your own mold?

Yes, that's it. The plans come with a very good build book. The hulls are build in a female mold. For the floats it looks like this:

11febformframes2.jpg

The next step is to fill the mold with foam, laminate and then pop it out to build the next one. For the other hull half the mold form frames are reversed.

11julstripcomplete.jpg

11oktvacuum.jpg

Yes, that's it. The plans come with a very good build book. The hulls are build in a female mold. For the floats it looks like this:

11febformframes2.jpg

Wow these photographs bring back memories of when we were building our F9AX!

Every spare minute was spent in the backyard boatyard. No such thing as surfing the Net on Saturday afternoons like I am doing right now.

There is only one problem with building a Farrier. No other designer's quality of plans and building guidelines measures up to Ian's and it makes it impossible to build any other boat.

Have fun building. Your workshop is awesome. Enjoy that first sail!

Regards.

I wish I had the time in my life to take on something like that! It's gonna be 85 degrees here today and I can't even go sailing :( rebuilding a fence in my yard. then I need to rebuild my house so I can sell it this spring.

Yes, it does take up a lot of time. The pics above are actually about 5 years old :rolleyes:, see www.nyker.nl/index2.html

85F might be difficult to work in. Out here I have to heat up my shed everytime I want to work on epoxy as the temperature is about 0-5C or 30 - 40F this time of the year. My shed is well insulated though.

I hope to finish construction in a few months and then start filling and fairing. It has taken me almost 3000 hrs until now. All in my spare time, without neglecting my family too much .... ... .. .

I really like the whole building process. I could have sped up things if I had not wished to build ( almost ) everything by myself and if I had devoted all my spare time to building the boat. I know people who've build an F-82 or F-32 in less than four years.

A lot less than 4 years. Janine and I built Redshift, our F9AR, in ten months flat. I worked my day job and then afternoon shift and weekends on the boat. Met both our weight and launch predictions. Could not do it now! That's why this time I bought Mail Order Bride my F85SR. No regrets. Ian's build system and plans are flawless.

A lot less than 4 years. Janine and I built Redshift, our F9AR, in ten months flat. I worked my day job and then afternoon shift and weekends on the boat. Met both our weight and launch predictions. Could not do it now! That's why this time I bought Mail Order Bride my F85SR. No regrets. Ian's build system and plans are flawless.

That's good going! When I was busy building, I would look at pics of Redshift and just dream of getting my boat sailing. I put in about 3 800 hrs, maybe a touch more to build our F9 to a very minimalist finish. I took four and a half years from start to finish. Small kids and general family life necessitated two lengthy breaks in building. Apart from a plywood Opti dinghy and two plywood rowing boats, it was my first venture into glass and foam.

Sadly we sold the boat after 4 years of sailing it. I still miss that boat.

I'd love to build an F82 now and reckon I can knock it off quite quickly with the knowledge I now have of how to be more economical with my time and now knowing what to do to to avoid sanding so much.

But it is nice to see that there are still folk out there building their own Farriers.

Have fun!

To be fair, we had every advantage. I had built lots of boats before, built it in my place of business ( a large fibreglass plant) and was unencumbered by family. The fact that Janine worked hour for hour alongside in the project made it possible. My goal going in was that giving up even one season sailing was not an option. For those contemplating starting an F9A build let me assure you that Ian MAKES IT EASY. My previous builds had all been basically to my own design involving more " head scratching" than actual building. To build to Ian's plan set was a huge relief and made the project fun.

To be fair, we had every advantage. I had built lots of boats before, built it in my place of business ( a large fibreglass plant) and was unencumbered by family. The fact that Janine worked hour for hour alongside in the project made it possible. My goal going in was that giving up even one season sailing was not an option. For those contemplating starting an Farrier build let me assure you that Ian MAKES IT EASY. My previous builds had all been basically to my own design involving more " head scratching" than actual building. To build to Ian's plan set was a huge relief and made the project fun.

To be fair, we had every advantage. I had built lots of boats before, built it in my place of business ( a large fibreglass plant) and was unencumbered by family. The fact that Janine worked hour for hour alongside in the project made it possible. My goal going in was that giving up even one season sailing was not an option. For those contemplating starting an Farrier build let me assure you that Ian MAKES IT EASY. My previous builds had all been basically to my own design involving more " head scratching" than actual building. To build to Ian's plan set was a huge relief and made the project fun.

What did you think about the Tetzlaff 8.5m design you raced against in the 2016 R2Ak. I see she was only a little less then 2 hours behind.

I'm just curious of how the two designs matched up, head too head, on the water in real time conditions.

thanks

I really like that boat and in fact tried to buy it when Pete originally had it for sale. Bad for me he changed his mind and Mail Order Bride was next on my list. No regrets. The the two boats are very similar in performance but for me the F 85 SR is much easier to live with. Really glad to sail with Mama Tried. Epic sailing, likely never to be repeated.

Evil Gnome completed the Heaven Can Wait 12 hour Yacht race yesterday/last night, lead from the first leg I think, won by a large margin , looked impressive,I'm sure he will be along soon to tell the story

Evil Gnome completed the Heaven Can Wait 12 hour Yacht race yesterday/last night, lead from the first leg I think, won by a large margin , looked impressive,I'm sure he will be along soon to tell the story

Good thing HJ knows what happened ... we only saw the Gnome 3 times ... at the start; and twice when he was on his way back when he was that far in front he was well on his way back when we still had another half hour+ to make the top mark!!

Congrats to Clive - great lil boat, well sailed

Shame he didn't have any real competition (hint hint Nuddy & Phil ... should get some abuse for that comment)

Evil Gnome finished, line honours 12 hours and first on handicap one lap dash,

still had things go wrong, tramp came out of the track on one side early on, jib block attachment broke and had to be tied on but that was all.

This is the hardest inshore race in Australia and even doing the 12 hour we got battered, rained on, near lightning strikes, wind squalls from the storms and at the start super hot and no wind, we had it all, the 24 hour guys just double that.

Half way through the race we had to round a buoy at the southern end of the lake and down there was a nasty storm, so we had to get in quick, get around and get out, then heading north there was a westerly storm over the back of the middle part of the lake, we went east and skirted around the edge of it, there was a lot of lightning over the land but dissipated before it got to us, another moment was when we were going from Speers point to Toronto when one of those low rolling squall clouds came in with near 30 knots of wind with horizontal rain, just as we had to bear off to the mark the squall went down to 12 knots so we headed off for the dark hours where the breeze dropped back a bit so when we came to the 12 hour time we were over near Speers Point and the breeze kicked in up to 20 knots, it was then a solid work back th Wangi, just what you need after 12 hours, so we came in tired, wet and hungry after all you can only eat so many bread and chicken rolls with mayo before you need a change.

So on my Raceqs log before the iphone battery died we logged 84 nm in 9.50hours which would average 106 nm in 12 hours roughly, the official point to point distance was 90nm no tacking or jibing angles included, how many tacks and jibes did we do, who knows but there is a lot which makes it very hard and challenging race, three of us are coming back next year number 4 needs some more time.

I challenge more multi's next year, come and test yourself.

Evil

Awesome Clive I'm sure your 4th will come around ...with time. :) Stick it to Phill to make sure he gets the dates right for next year and lets get 24hrs done in a F85sr.. Hats of to you for being out there and a even bigger hats off to the 24hr guys.

Please post a link to your RaceQs track as I'd love to see it..

Well done boys .. well done!

Now that was funny reading Clive - we were so far behind you we got completely different conditions: max across the deck would have been maybe 15knt; missed the initial huge storm cells, but down around Mannering were were encircled by lightning strikes, the boys saw a decent sized shark halfway betw Belmont and Toronto, and we finished the 12hr the furthest possible place from Toronto - Mannering mark.... 2 hours to get back - we were knackered.

Personally, it was a shame we got hammered on handicap, cause I thought we sailed the toy pretty consistently well. O well, out of our hands

It is a must do regatta, but I still think for variety of conditions & bizarre starting time Marlay does it - but I love both!!

Nice going Clve. You liking your new rudders?

They are heaps better still a bit to go so I will muck around in winter and do some more work, well worth doing.

Looking at the design, the taller mast has an extra 5 metres of sail area.

I have heard of different Farrier designs having issues with weather helm, if the main is made too big, and the boom is extended too far.

What is the best way to get extra sail area on the shorter (NZ 8.5) of the two masts, and not get issues with weather helm.

My understanding is there is no limit to sail area under the 8.5 rule. The primary limit is how high the mast can be above the water.

Given that Ian designed this one for the rule he would have put as much area as he could within the confines of the rule.

Have you compared the area of the F85 to other boats sailing under the 8.5 rule?

Apart from increasing the size of the head on the main sail, the foot length is the only other option. But you would only play with that if you had to because it may create a helm problem and moving the D/B aft or increasing the size of the rudder and move the leading edge of the rudder further in front of the pivot to improve the balance could help.

BTW:-  I have the tall rig and the helm balance is perfect , finger tip control ,even when it's blowing.

"What is the best way to get extra sail area on the shorter (NZ 8.5) of the two masts, and not get issues with weather helm."

Make the jib proportionally bigger at the same time. Masthead rig?  Jib tack further forward?

Move daggerboard back?

If you hunt around nz8.5 photos you'll see a lot of 7/8 rigs and big head mains.  The 7/8 rig is a good compromise between maximum jib luff/size without blocking off slot for the kite.

A bigger foot means a lower aspect ratio on the main sail. A lower aspect ratio means less efficiency, so it'll cost you upwind performance.

6 hours ago, nyker said:

A bigger foot means a lower aspect ratio on the main sail. A lower aspect ratio means less efficiency, so it'll cost you upwind performance.

Not necessarily.  it'll be less efficient but if % increase in power is greater than the % loss of efficiency there will still be a net gain.

13 hours ago, SCARECROW said:

Not necessarily.  it'll be less efficient but if % increase in power is greater than the % loss of efficiency there will still be a net gain.

isn´t upwind all about L/D? (I´m asking, I don´t know)