• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

On 1/21/2018 at 4:21 PM, hobot said:

Woody, that's the remains of a Navigator Yacht someone turned into a seafood restaurant, somewhere in Nevada isn't it?

Yes Google Desert Lobster

Long story about someones Dream making it from the water to well no where the water & if I remember correctly that was when it was new !!

• Desert Lobster
2 photos
Desert Lobster

808 Front, Mina, NV 89422 

kalamariverrat.jpg
Kalamariverrat
Rainier, Oregon
Reviewed November 12, 2013

My last trip south and north on US 95, I was amazed to see that Desert Lobster was closed and all the signage at the former lobster-factory to the south were gone. I guess the owner finally succumbed to Nevada bureaucracy.

Thank Kalamariverrat
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Reviews (4)

Traveler rating
  • Very good
  • Poor

randyhees.jpg
RandyHees
Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I was passing through Mina last May... on my way from Tonopah to San Francisco... I needed coffee early in the morning, and the Desert Lobster had coffee...

It is impossible to miss... a boat in the desert with a good back story... It is the desert, and like the boat, lobsters seem absurd... but once there was a lobster farm here (really a shrimp farm, but they were really big shrimp... really)

The locals were friendly, the coffee good, and prices reasonable... 

The locals were in residence, but in a welcoming way... stop by if you are in the area... I will again...

Randy

•  
Thank RandyHees
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
retusafguy.jpg
retusafguy
Syosset, NY
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I was on the road between here and there and found myself in Mina at around breakfast time. Isolation makes this a tempting place to stop, that and the name and the boat. I suckered in. Now, in fairness, the cook was off sick that day and her husband was filling in. Ordered some scrambled eggs...OK, in fairness, they were out of the egg shell and had been mixed up a bit, just somewhat lacking in the application of heat. The toast was OK and the coffee average. I felt kind of bad for the owner because you know once he dies (and he was famous for raising lobster in the desert 30 years ago) this place will be boarded up and into history.

desert-lobster.jpg

Thank retusafguy
manny-p.jpg
Manny P
Reviewed October 23, 2012

A group of us camped at the Sunrise Valley RV Park in Mina and decided to go to breakfast at the Desert Lobster. It was recommended to me by a group of fellow pilots who fly in to Mina for breakfast or lunch. While not fancy, the breakfast (and later, lunch) was reasonable and good for $12.00 for two, with coffee.

The name came from the Australian lobster farming business the owners engaged in a number of years ago before the government created new regulations to severely handicap their entrepreneurial lobster business (read the newspaper article posted on the wall). The couple who own the Desert Lobster are longtime Mina residents who will give you an oral history of the area to compliment their posted collection of historic photos.

Located right on Highway 95 with truck and RV parking across the street, you'll enjoy good food from independent, down-to-earth, friendly folks...and maybe enjoy a bit of local color and history with your meal. I consider it a must stop in the Nevada desert.

desert-lobster.jpg

Thank Manny P

12 hours ago, hobot said:

DSC01725cr.jpg

I wonder if anyone's done that yet?

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

DSC01725cr.jpgI wonder if anyone's done that yet?

NASA sent a married couple up in the space shuttle in 1992.

If he didn't wrap the cleanup would have been... icky.

8 hours ago, hobot said:

6037307265_1a42317453_b.jpg

HMAS Melbourne following collision with USS Frank E Evans, 1969 if memory serves.  Bad doings, was Melbourne's second catastrophic collision with a destroyer.

Spare a thought for those that went down in both destroyers.

Jim

On 1/24/2018 at 5:28 AM, hobot said:

SMP1010068.jpg

I've seen this .....What was there before? I just can't remember

11 hours ago, captpiratedog said:

I've seen this .....What was there before? I just can't remember

I believe it is one of the controversial access points to hike up to the Hollywood sign.  But I might be full of shit

5 hours ago, pbd said:

I believe it is one of the controversial access points to hike up to the Hollywood sign.  But I might be full of shit

Behind the gate is  Brad Pitt's yard.  Really.

On 1/24/2018 at 9:28 PM, hobot said:

dfafb9a3262bf4264065a6b3a6b99d85--tokio-japan-tokyo-tower.jpg

The Tokyo Tower.  The thing is even more hideous completed.  Not only does it lack the grace and beauty of the Eiffel Tower, that it is often compared to, but it is painted a hideous red alternating with sections of white.  Like a giant lattice traffic cone or something.  It is a hideous landmark marring an otherwise pleasantly unremarkable big urban skyline.

Something about the Japanese and towers like that.   This is the Tokyo Skytree on the east side of town.  It was finished in 2010.  It's 634 meters (2,080 ft) tall.  Still kind of ugly in my opinion.  It looks even worse up close.  They built a large shopping center next to it, of course.

240px-Tokyo_Skytree_2014_%E2%85%A2.jpg

Related image

Image result for speed racer

Image result for krakatoaImage result for Hodads Ocean beachRelated image

Image result for caves on point loma

Image result for mini rc planeImage result for 1972 honda z50

Image result for 6ft skiffImage result for yom kippur war

Image result for Van de kamps ArcadiaRelated image

Image result for Amsterdam  squatters  riots 1980Related image

Related imageImage result for merry pranksters

Related imageImage result for bsa engineRelated imageRelated imageImage result for the wedge

Related image

Related image

This used to be our Secret Windsurfing Spot back in the mid 80's...then the word got out....Image result for kite paros

Image result for patti smith

Image result for Basque revolution

Related image

Related imageRelated image