Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

3 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1540783999307.jpg

When I was an apprentice Ironworker we watched a film about the construction of the Gateway Arch, if I recall they had to hose down the structure a bit to get the keystone in this pic to fit.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:15 AM, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1540363857097.jpg

Let be honest.....this would solve a lot of problems...

It was slated to be inserted at 10:00 a.m. local time but was done 30 minutes early[32] because thermal expansion had constricted the 8.5-foot (2.6 m) gap at the top[61] by 5 inches (13 cm).[60] To mitigate this, workers used fire hoses to spray water on the surface of the south leg to cool it down[51] and make it contract.[60] The keystone was inserted in 13 minutes,[32] only 6 inches (15 cm) remained. For the next section, a hydraulic jack had to pry apart the legs six feet (1.8 m). The last section was left only 2.5 feet (0.76 m).[61] By noon, the keystone was secured.[32] Some filmmakers, in hope that the two legs would not meet, had chronicled every phase of construction.[62]The structure weighs 42,878 short tons (38,898 t), of which concrete composes 25,980 short tons (23,570 t); structural steel interior, 2,157 short tons (1,957 t); and the stainless steel panels that cover the exterior of the arch, 886 short tons (804 t).[63] This amount of stainless steel is the most used in any one project in history.[68][75] The base of each leg at ground level had to have an engineering tolerance of 164 inch (0.40 mm) or the two legs would not meet at the top.[7]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dyslexic dog said:

The Xray of the ankle looks like mine. I did a double take. 14 screws and a plate. All because I took a pee behind the barn.

That'll teach ya!  :P

1 hour ago, dyslexic dog said:

The Xray of the ankle looks like mine. I did a double take. 14 screws and a plate. All because I took a pee behind the barn.

The bull didn't like you peeing in his pasture?

On 12/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, hobot said:

5801904784_0af74ed99a_b.jpg

chris-inn-cols-library.jpg

african-americans-wwii-003.jpg

Thanks for your efforts Hobot, your posts are a highlight of this site. Interesting to see the BE dragline with the undercarriage which would be the same as the transport module at Cape Canaveral. Most dragline since have been walking or walking sliding thanks to the Marion influence. They are an awesome machine much like a ship inside and slowly being phased out by truck and shovel/excavator fleets which are easier to deploy. Keep up the good work.