Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Footey saide woude name nexte kidde P, butte thet poeste is gone.             :)

“Next kid” :blink:

That sent shivers up my spine! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hobot said:
6 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

That works worked for me . . .

fixte                                                 :)

Ewww!

Dointte blamme me.  Ime am notte the oune squirtteng mahi-mahi juise alle overt!                                    :)

8 hours ago, hobot said:

This photo makes me hungry....is what they serve popular?

4700922444_475d7bb3b2_b.jpg

I think the popularity is primarily due to it's location - between a bunch of pubs and the gates of a naval dockyard, most of the business is done after the pubs close. One dish that is still going today, since the 60's is a 'pie-floater' a meat pie floating upside down in a bowl of pea soup with a dollop of mashed potato on top, it is tasty when you have a belly full of beer.

Harry's is still going today and has also been franchised in many locations around Sydney

In 1978, on the official 40th anniversary of the pie cart, Harry’s de Wheels cafe was formally commissioned into the Royal Australian Navy as one of its ‘unsinkable’ ships, and was called: HMAS Harry’s!  The ceremony was performed over a glass of champagne and a pie by Rear Admiral David Martin. Harry died in 1979.

The phrase ‘Café de Wheels’ came about as the city council of the day insisted that mobile food caravans move a minimum of 12 inches a day. Harry dutifully obeyed and thus the name was expanded to Harry’s Café de Wheels. Before the councils ruling, the caravan was known simply as ‘Harry’s.’

more info & pics at https://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/history  and https://australianfoodtimeline.com.au/harrys-cafe-de-wheels/

harrys.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merrill Levi said:

I think the popularity is primarily due to it's location - between a bunch of pubs and the gates of a naval dockyard, most of the business is done after the pubs close. One dish that is still going today, since the 60's is a 'pie-floater' a meat pie floating upside down in a bowl of pea soup with a dollop of mashed potato on top, it is tasty when you have a belly full of beer.

Harry's is still going today and has also been franchised in many locations around Sydney

harrys.JPG

Even the Colonel liked Harry’s. 

Pie floater does sound like good apres food.  Wish my stomach was still twenty.

Sounds like some good 'ol comfort food! I want some now (as long as I can take a Prilosec first).

B)

2 hours ago, hobot said:

LCI_85_amidships_2344.jpg

royal-enfield-bullet-500-military-motorcycle-test-ride-cycle-world-peter-egan-02-jpg-itok-tpv6qaav-studio-side-view-5b7bb3e1da7ca.jpg

LMjhK0Ph8iQZi7epI99aew_gmcthumb.png

What punches a round hole like that?  Looks like it's even scribed on the piece the guy is standing on.

6 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I knew you could to it Hobot!

The pic of the girl comes up blank though on a Google image search. 

Scooter charges me a monthly fee to be able to do magic like that!

;)

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, QBF said:

image.jpeg.04e1b17bd3976ddb127475a3ae7818f3.jpeg

Ouch...............Mom loved to slather that shit on all my cuts no matter how small.....and I had plenty of cuts :lol:. It was like a end of day ritual for us. Her with that dipstick from the bottle full of the stuff and me squirming to get away. Damn..........I hated that shit........

• Like 3

10 hours ago, QBF said:

Lifeboat_(1944).thumb.jpg.ad99090af01843e1b2c4e588d247527c.jpg

Pick which one the script calls for to die first.  

Second to go?  

55 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Ouch...............Mom loved to slather that shit on all my cuts no matter how small.....and I had plenty of cuts :lol:. It was like a end of day ritual for us. Her with that dipstick from the bottle full of the stuff and me squirming to get away. Damn..........I hated that shit........

The treatment hurt worse than the bruise!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, QBF said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4db57f495195f42a7fedf6c6d0def3fe.jpeg

My Grandma loved to torture us with the Mercurochrome and Iodine and then make you feel better after with a swig of Paregoric. I remember her liberally swabbing it on my baby Sister's gums when she started cutting her baby teeth. Sleep tight sweet baby...

Little wonder my Sis grew up to be a drug addict!

Granny was a devout Tee-totalling Southern Baptist but somehow never took note of that alcohol content of 44% in the Paregoric, not to mention the morphine!

3 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

My Grandma loved to torture us with the Mercurochrome and Iodine and then make you feel better after with a swig of Paregoric. I remember her liberally swabbing it on my baby Sister's gums when she started cutting her baby teeth. Sleep tight sweet baby...

Little wonder my Sis grew up to be a drug addict!

Granny was a devout Tee-totalling Southern Baptist but somehow never took note of that alcohol content of 44% in the Paregoric, not to mention the morphine!

It was a little bit of rye on our gums. Or rum in a pinch.

2 minutes ago, CyberBOB said:

It was a little bit of rye on our gums. Or rum in a pinch.

One teaspoon of vintage port did for me as a baby.  Zzzzz...  Still does!

6 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

One teaspoon of vintage port did for me as a baby.  Zzzzz...  Still does!

I bet it’s not a teaspoon anymore! :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, QBF said:

image.jpeg.04e1b17bd3976ddb127475a3ae7818f3.jpeg

Great stuff

i have a pharmacist that still makes for me. Great to dry out and scab up a wound to get finished healing

As a boy, I had a friend with polio that had to sleep in one of these things. At the time, this was the best the medical community could prescribe.

image.thumb.jpeg.909bab7cfe19ae28ecced492c0e344ff.jpeg

8 minutes ago, QBF said:

As a boy, I had a friend with polio that had to sleep in one of these things. At the time, this was the best the medical community could prescribe.

image.thumb.jpeg.909bab7cfe19ae28ecced492c0e344ff.jpeg

Odd that you showed that image. I must have seen that image at about the same age as those boys and I had a weird fetish about the 'iron lung' for a long time. Must have been the smile on the kids face in the mirror. I used to stay in my Granny's bed when she got up at the crack of dawn to go feed the chickens and gather the eggs and I would take all the feather pillows on her bed (probably a dozen of them) and line them up down both sides of myself and then lay the rest over my body with just my face sticking out as in that photo.  Must have been the morphine she gave me that led to such morbid fantasies.

Glad I outgrew that stage!

On 7/10/2019 at 6:39 PM, hobot said:

180731_Essai_de_la_Volvo_144_S_1971.jpg

My parents bought one of these in 1967.  We bought it LHD in England, drove it over there for a year, then shipped it back to Canada.  Saved a pile of import taxes or something.  We had the 144S like this one with twin SU's that needed tuning every time the temperature or humidity changed.  I drove it a bit as an early teen - sneaking it out of the garage at night - not sporty at all, more like driving a tractor.

Oddly enough there is a beautifully restored one driving around in my area of town - I see it from time to time.

There used to be one of those with a Chevy big block in it that I saw running around East Van.

It needed much heavier springs & shocks in front though - bobbed around like a '38 Buick.

9 minutes ago, bmiller said:

Take a guess at what this is/was.

5937.jpeg

I have absolutely no idea, but I’ll take a shot:

It appears to run on rails.

It appears to be narrow gauge.

It does not have any couplers on it, but does have handles for pushing.

It is hopper shaped. 

It has a step on the side.

It has a large port in the top.

It is probably an esoteric piece of rolling stock for a mine.

Is it a rolling thunder box? 

21 hours ago, burndoc said:

Great stuff

i have a pharmacist that still makes for me. Great to dry out and scab up a wound to get finished healing

Can you send me an ounce or two?

On 7/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, hobot said:

fixed.

tumblr_prnip1WQqT1v6vkedo1_r2_540.jpg

Okay, she is a strong second place for the "Top Of The Page Girl" contest

• Like 1

Well I did it. I finally finished. Took a few months but I finished the whole thread. Thank you Hobot (and others).

I guess this leaves me with no choice........but to start all over again.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:19 PM, hobot said:

fixed.

tumblr_prnip1WQqT1v6vkedo1_r2_540.jpg

Sometimes I wonder what a “then and now” post would look like.  

Then I just enjoy what it is. 

• Like 2

Mom!! Snaggys spelling correctly again!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Mom!! Snaggys spelling correctly again!

The savage breast can calm the...... Errrrr... The Human breast can...... Ummmmm.............. The.... I'm going to bed now.

Nytol!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 12:37 PM, hobot said:

OLD_PGH_09.jpg

Strange engineering choices there.  The upside-down bow truss puts the top chord in compression while the bottom bow is in tension.  The whole truss part being redundant (and very heavy) if the bow was simply a cable.  Anchor braces are segmented iron as well. 

Faraday cages at the top of the tower for lightning protection?

Lack of math skills in the design office?  Manufacturing limitations?  Pre-Roebling's bundled 19-strand cable?

They were still figuring that stuff out in those days.

Kind of like the weird shit they did with jet aircraft in the first 1/2 of the 50's. We won't even talk about atomic development.

They just didn't know any better.

48 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Strange engineering choices there.  The upside-down bow truss puts the top chord in compression while the bottom bow is in tension.  The whole truss part being redundant (and very heavy) if the bow was simply a cable.  Anchor braces are segmented iron as well. 

Faraday cages at the top of the tower for lightning protection?

Lack of math skills in the design office?  Manufacturing limitations?  Pre-Roebling's bundled 19-strand cable?

the trusses are weird.

The articulated braces were quite common before cables.

See the 'chains' on Brunel's Clifton Suspension Bridge, in Bristol

Chains_of_the_Clifton_Suspension_Bridge_

12 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Floateng villiage on Lacke Titticacca?

As usual, you are correcto!

3 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Nice hat.......although those danglies would get distracting in a sword fight.

He didn't use a sword, he used a whip. I guess you never watched that movie.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:42 PM, Left Shift said:

On 7/11/2019 at 5:20 PM, QBF said:

image.thumb.jpeg.4db57f495195f42a7fedf6c6d0def3fe.jpeg

I have an old quart of that-cherry flavor.

If I ever feel the n