Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

4 hours ago, hobot said:

thread drift interruption......

0_manenginedolcoathcornwall-320x481.jpg

1e3bb3b6d97189d63a44c91ff45d5992.jpg

1_ImikY6uIn5Ps8lddcpnF7w.jpeg

Thanks Hobs and sorry for the interruptions. Your work leads to wonderful places that bring history back alive. History  Rhymes. 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:21 AM, dyslexic dog said:

I am trying to understand when Apollo 13 released from the Lem. I thought that they road both of them back most of the way to Earth. The way I remembered is that they rode the second stage and then rotated just after that near earths orbit. So I thought.

image.thumb.png.cac7ab40e1217d3a605dd7b42764beaa.png

not sure that's 13, the CM's had experiment bays that opened to space during the missions and I think this is a pic of that. I know that the Apollo 13 LM did not separate from the CM while in lunar orbit.

15 hours ago, hobot said:

rabbis-and-blacks-in-monson-motor-lodge-pool-as-manager-pours-acid.jpg

tumblr_mv9xurpdnR1qapwfro1_1280.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

4014 is rolling through Chicago this weekend.  Apparently, UP is actually running this beast and not using a diesel to drag it around. 

1 hour ago, DarthSailor said:

not sure that's 13, the CM's had experiment bays that opened to space during the missions and I think this is a pic of that. I know that the Apollo 13 LM did not separate from the CM while in lunar orbit.

IIRC they kept the LEM and used it as a lifeboat for the return to Earth.

This might give riders in the Tour de France an idea of how to win without drugs.

image.thumb.jpeg.243ddd0068463e5692c3f874f5b0f1ff.jpeg

17 hours ago, dyslexic dog said:

Thanks Hobs and sorry for the interruptions. 

Mr. D Dog, thread drift is life....no worries!

1fc8fd76917d9d46487ed39625434828.jpg

574068ef.jpg

6QF7J2GJGLJMUN5LTUOPO43S5E.jpg

15 minutes ago, hobot said:

a060f2b530b0328893cc1cbdd24f0d2f.jpg

The front, back and sides all fell off.

58 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1555136558080.jpg

She seemes passieve aggressieve, goode shortte terme, butte mabey notte so goode loungue terme.                                         :)

2 hours ago, hobot said:

f65cd4c.jpg

One of my very favorites................so much so that I have a picture of that hanging on the wall in my den.

IMG_2712.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hobot said:

f65cd4c.jpg

The Lion of Lucerne

I'm with PB and Mark Twain on this one

Mark Twain, well known American author, called the Lion Monument «the saddest and most moving piece of rock in the world».

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

She seemes passieve aggressieve, goode shortte terme, butte mabey notte so goode loungue terme.                                         :)

Oh heck Snaggs, who wants to live forever anyway.

3 hours ago, QBF said:

image.png.7238c3f1912eba14dbfbe411e15e699c.png

Ahhhhh Mike Nelson. I frigging LOVED that show when I was a kid. Even had a pair of Mike Nelson swim trunks, you know white with the black stripe up each side. He sure shot a lot of bad guys with a spear gun!

Check out that old twin tank and double hose reg and that awful mask. I remember those. That camera housing is really cool though. Wonder what it is.

• Like 1

Sea Hunt inspired me and two buddies to get SCUBA certified.   Took lessons on those old two hose rigs.

• Like 1

Seahunt had a big impact on me. Then I snuck out my Dad's copy of "Go to the Widowmaker". That had an even bigger impact on my innocent soul. 

Image result for "Go to the Widowmaker"

Then my Mom found me sneaking out of the house with that copy of James Jones scuba diving fantasy novel to share all the dirty parts (James Jones, you bad boy) and that had a HUGE impact on her and my Dad's relationship...

AND THEN, my Mom got a call from our local librarian informing her that I had been trying to check out the libraries copy of the book. That had a huge impact on my relationship with Mom!

Who knew that James Jones books had been blacklisted and I was shocked that the little old librarian had even read such a thing?

Still I did eventually manage to fulfill the promise of some of the more lurid episodes that made that book so influential on me. You figure out which scenes...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Point Break said:

That camera housing is really cool though. Wonder what it is.

info via www.vintagescubasupply.com

One of the most famous underwater camera housings ever made was the Hans Hass Rollei marine housing, for the Rolleiflex camera.

HH housing.JPG

4 minutes ago, Merrill Levi said:

info via www.vintagescubasupply.com

One of the most famous underwater camera housings ever made was the Hans Hass Rollei marine housing, for the Rolleiflex camera.

HH housing.JPG

VERY Cool. Thanks. I shoot with a Oly mirrorless OM-D Mk 1 in a Nauticam housing. Amazing how far it has all come.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Point Break said:

VERY Cool. Thanks. I shoot with a Oly mirrorless OM-D Mk 1 in a Nauticam housing. Amazing how far it has all come.

48 years old and still going stong

Nikonos.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1561010500239.jpg

The mighty Convair B-36, the only 10-engine US strategic bomber.  Due to the unreliability of the six backward-facing 28-cylinder piston engines whose carburetors would regularly ice up, the "Six turning, four burning" mantra was altered to “Two turning, two burning, two smoking, two choking and two more unaccounted for.”

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hobot said:

C3_21.jpg

Think they could scrape up a 3 digit IQ between them?

That looks like 60 odd years ago so with any luck they're all dead now.

9 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

For someone who often mentions other's IQ you say a lot of dumb shit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, P_Wop said:

The mighty Convair B-36, the only 10-engine US strategic bomber.  Due to the unreliability of the six backward-facing 28-cylinder piston engines whose carburetors would regularly ice up, the "Six turning, four burning" mantra was altered to “Two turning, two burning, two smoking, two choking and two more unaccounted for.”

I saw a cutaway of one of those Wasp Major's at McMinnville - it was the most insanely complicated machine I have ever seen. 28 cylinders in 4 rows of 7. 4 valves and 2 plugs per cylinder, turbocharged and supercharged and all the ultimate development of 1920's technology - try to imagine 14 Harley knuckleheads on steroids.

How anyone even thought they would work is boggling. The fact that they actually did (sort of) is even more so. Those B-36's each had 6 of them so that's 168 cylinders, 336 spark plugs and 672 valves - and they say the F35 requires a lot of maintenance.

image.png.a11c89cb1c3021334659d90e7bce0bd9.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bluto said:

For someone who often mentions other's IQ you say a lot of dumb shit.

But I always speak very highly of you.

34 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I saw a cutaway of one of those Wasp Major's at McMinnville - it was the most insanely complicated machine I have ever seen. 28 cylinders in 4 rows of 7. 4 valves and 2 plugs per cylinder, turbocharged and supercharged and all the ultimate development of 1920's technology - try to imagine 14 Harley knuckleheads on steroids.

How anyone even thought they would work is boggling. The fact that they actually did (sort of) is even more so. Those B-36's each had 6 of them so that's 168 cylinders, 336 spark plugs and 672 valves - and they say the F35 requires a lot of maintenance.

The B-36 wing was so thick that there was an engineer access tunnel inside it to each engine while in flight. I cannot even begin to imagine how horrible that maintenance job could have been for a 36-hour SAC flight. 

They built nearly 400 of them.  Jimmy Stewart used to fly them.  The 1955 movie "Strategic Air Command" is well worth a watch.

Sorry for the B-36 thread hijack, Hobot.  But, hey, you started it!

Thanks as always for stellar pics.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hobot said:

C3_21.jpg

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

When I see pics like this, all I can think about is it's such a display of masculine fragility and fear.

I agree, they do look dumber than a pile of rocks.

3 hours ago, P_Wop said:

The B-36 wing was so thick that there was an engineer access tunnel inside it to each engine while in flight. I cannot even begin to imagine how horrible that maintenance job could have been for a 36-hour SAC flight. 

They built nearly 400 of them.  Jimmy Stewart used to fly them.  The 1955 movie "Strategic Air Command" is well worth a watch.

Boy that take off is a long roll! Reminds me of a liberty flight I hopped space available (it was free) in a military variant (I have no idea which one) of the DC-3 from Oakland to San Diego. In dress uni on a bench with cargo net backing running the length of one side of the aircraft. That frigging thing rolled and rolled and rolled before it got in the air and was the noisiest thing I ever rode in. I drove back! 

4 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Well heck boys, why don't we just cram one of those in this thing ?

sea fury.jpg

On 7/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, warbird said:

BF42E01E-043D-4F3D-BDC8-D2831A36A2ED.jpeg

Is the sporting goods store with the huge stuffed polar bear in the front window still there?