Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, QBF said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cb61be60e2ae9384d94023d68b9d0d7f.jpeg

The Azores. 

A most special bunch of islands, and a mandatory stop-over on the trip back from the Caribbean to the Med.  Cafe Bar Sport (aka Pete's) in Horta is absolutely required.

As was painting on the harbour wall.  Here's Phil Barrett in front of the DRUM one we traced off the transom and painted in 1987. I really hope it's still there.

image.thumb.png.4860e40014b9064219f01eacbcb00eff.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

The Azores. 

A most special bunch of islands, and a mandatory stop-over on the trip back from the Caribbean to the Med.  Cafe Bar Sport (aka Pete's) in Horta is absolutely required.

As was painting on the harbour wall.  Here's Phil Barrett in front of the DRUM one we traced off the transom and painted in 1987. I really hope it's still there.

image.thumb.png.4860e40014b9064219f01eacbcb00eff.png

Peter's Sport is probably the ultimate Sailor's Bar. We tied up along that wall with Transient in May '86 and saw a lot of famous boat name graffiti marques but few as nice at DRUM's P-Wop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Peter's Sport is probably the ultimate Sailor's Bar. We tied up along that wall with Transient in May '86 and saw a lot of famous boat name graffiti marques but few as nice at DRUM's P-Wop. 

Ta.  Do you remember the enormous collection of whale ivory scrimshaw art upstairs at Peter's bar?  Hundreds of years of that old maritime tradition.  I'd love to know where it all went, as sadly it's not too kosher to show around these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not so forbidden in a place like the Azores or Bequia. I saw plenty of scrimshaw in the Grenadines last January and they still take an occasional whale.

   Actually the place is known as Peter's Cafe Sport, much more classy sounding.

Image result for peter cafe sport azores

 

 

 

SAM_2663.jpg

 

The traditional name on the walk of fame before going to the bar.

SAM_1400.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, hobot said:

66889265_2369215486491070_4405361634978037760_n.jpg

The 3rd prototype de Havilland DH 108 Swallow. which was designed to break the sound barrier.  All three were lost with their pilots, including GdH Jr.  This one in 1950.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Was watching this Netflix thing on John Lennon the other night...  commentator said this is the proclaimed to be one last known photos of the Fab 4  together at John Lennon's house.. .  Goes on to say John Lennon left that house shortly after and never returned to it..

I always thought this was the last photo... 

 

image.png.d586562b351035f0f1734a9854a27e39.png

Even Ringo looks unhappy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

The 3rd prototype de Havilland DH 108 Swallow. which was designed to break the sound barrier.  All three were lost, this one in 1950.

One of those killed the scion of the De Havilland family.

Trying to break the barrier - in a dive!

I never understood anyone trying that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

258743-1330682255.jpg

HM Queen Elizabeth II walking with King Taufa'ahau Topou IV of Tonga on her visit in 1970.

His mother Queen Sālote Tupou III, who was equally substantial, attended the Queen's accession in London in 1953.  Riding in an open carriage, she was seated with the diminutive Sultan of Sarawak.  Apparently Noel Coward, who was one of the radio commentators, when asked who was sitting with Queen Salote. "I presume that's her lunch."  Aprocryphal story - glad for any corrections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry, that bastard of a Boss interrupted me from my daily duties....

 

chi-pacyga-fig02003_edited1-8774839a5760cc984f7121bf31cf879e63b5d406-s800-c85.jpg

CerritosAirDisasterImpactPoints.png

67293760_10219338260268249_225060877630439424_n.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, hobot said:

 

 

FB_IMG_1558237366726.jpg

Bottom boat in the lead is the WT Preston snag boat. It is currently a museum in Anacortes.

 

WL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1139298561_Diamond-DistrictRobber.thumb.jpg.42e0d2b03ae267024e115214bcef029e.jpg

 

1501429066_NationalDayDishes-BlackTap.jpg.4f7fb8bc6d9803c615e89759e8ba286c.jpg

 

My last bike and the only one built in carbon fibre.  I had it built with full Campy, and when I sold it the guy who bought it said he was going to strip it and rebuild it with full Shimano.

trek.jpg.6c3d66e0cdb89b00022e2efcf4bc57f2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Tommey Ivo raille.

I knew she was thin, but I wouldn't rail, then I realized there was a car in the picture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bureau of Land Management has removed the famous sign on the entry road to the Bonneville Salt Flats. They stated that at some point the sign will be replaced. I’ve driven by this sign many times; it was a good reminder of the speed demons that had set so many records on this track, as well as those who tried and failed in their attempts.

image.jpeg.c79dad66dd2607dba91d189889d1229c.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Tommey Ivo raille.

One of the best looking dragsters ever.

image.png.88409b00e6825a90f17a4206278e89f0.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QBF said:

The Bureau of Land Management has removed the famous sign on the entry road to the Bonneville Salt Flats. They stated that at some point the sign will be replaced. I’ve driven by this sign many times; it was a good reminder of the speed demons that had set so many records on this track, as well as those who tried and failed in their attempts.

image.jpeg.c79dad66dd2607dba91d189889d1229c.jpeg

I'll have to see if I can find it - one of my favorite pics is our race team in front of that sign after WoS 2001 - I'd been activated just before that, and my unit let me have 5 days off before we deployed to actually make the event we'd been working on for two years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/24/2019 at 10:03 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Missing wings, horizontals and the engine?  Either way, it'd be quite a show.

Worked with a guy who served on a carrier. On the way to Hawaii, they tested the catapults by throwing junk cars into the next week. The crew loved it.  

First work ups with the FA18 on the Coral Sea they launched a wreck in 1985.  Might be tradition with a new command or a recommissioning,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Tommey Ivo raille.

We thought it was cool when they broke into the sixxes:ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^question.....when you see the Four Horsemen coming like that, where do you run to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hobot said:

ob_4b2604_forence-arthaud.jpg

 

Awesome!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frank White said:

6BQMKAI5MFHC5H7TR2TXH6BNPY.jpg

We ran into something like this last year in the Downeast Challenge Ocean Race.  We were about 20nm offshore, and this huge squall came through.  Instantly the winds turned 45 degrees and increased to over 30kts.   Within a half hour, the wind died and was zero.   We unfortunately had the chute up when this all happened.   It didn't survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, hobot said:

^^question.....when you see the Four Horsemen coming like that, where do you run to?

run to the hills...

run for your life...

(like, in the iron maiden song);)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Up the Irons!!   \m/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

We ran into something like this last year in the Downeast Challenge Ocean Race.  We were about 20nm offshore, and this huge squall came through.  Instantly the winds turned 45 degrees and increased to over 30kts.   Within a half hour, the wind died and was zero.   We unfortunately had the chute up when this all happened.   It didn't survive. 

You saw something like that coming for you and you left the chute up? :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You saw something like that coming for you and you left the chute up? :blink:

The whole fleet did.  it was a race.  lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, QBF said:

 

648314392_JeremyIrons.jpg.79ec17726fb01fd1d8ed40ec04c3e878.jpg

 

Who rigged that mainsheet?  

And how did he get it to run straight through his forearm.  That looks painful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

And how did he get it to run straight through his forearm.  That looks painful.

He woude calmley saye "You halve no ideare"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Who rigged that mainsheet?  

And how did he get it to run straight through his forearm.  That looks painful.

Hes an Actor....CGI pic created by people that don't understand sailboats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites