Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

All I'm finding about the pic for you Recidivist;
Title
Aerial view of Sydney Stadium at Rushcutters Bay, 1968, the stadium situated bottom middle, circular building [picture] / Ern McQuillan
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hobot said:
All I'm finding about the pic for you Recidivist;
Title
Aerial view of Sydney Stadium at Rushcutters Bay, 1968, the stadium situated bottom middle, circular building [picture] / Ern McQuillan

Thanks Hobot - 1968 it could still be us, but not the boat I thought it was (previous boat, same owner, same berth).  Explains why the photo doesn't show some large boats I thought would have been there on that jetty.

Cheers

1 hour ago, hobot said:

tommy-ivo-buick-nailhead-464-twins.jpg

Looks like a very young Don Prudhomme.

1399193379_BettyBoop.jpg.db33e6cffec1b2d4b4ec60ee9eb97079.jpg

Richard-Burton.thumb.jpg.e24034e2ff89a66c179256e2a89876cc.jpg

This is the USS The Sullivans, named to honor the five Sullivan brothers who died on the USS Juneau during WWII

462170515_USSTheSullivans(DD-537).jpg.8cd1b7ef33122337af52009d0d8c7079.jpg

37 minutes ago, hobot said:

69182614_1143184989209006_4509675219387940864_n.jpg

1986 OP Pro Huntington Beach. Riots and fires. Pretty dicey for a while.

Machine gun looks legit.  :D

39 minutes ago, MauiPunter said:

Machine gun looks legit.  :D

It wasn't meant to look legit. Obviously, you have never watched the movie.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:07 PM, SloopJonB said:

Looks like a very young Don Prudhomme.

By golly, I think yer right

15 hours ago, Point Break said:

1986 OP Pro Huntington Beach. Riots and fires. Pretty dicey for a while.

WTF happened ?

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Deathe Race 2000

That movie was some hilarious slapstick black humour. The driver (Stallone?) that reversed over his pit crew to gain the points for them after the last pit stop.

Rolling the residents of the retirement center out into the street in their wheelchairs just before the racers came through.  :D

2 hours ago, Dorado said:

WTF happened ?

Alcohol + sun + youth + crowd. Started with a couple drunks behind the bleachers trying to forcibly take bathing suits off passing women. Police intervened after some complaints and started to arrest the drunks. Crowd in the bleachers pelted the cops with bottles, cops called more cops and that triggered hundreds rioting overturning and burning police and lifeguard vehicles. Had to call lotsa cops from neighboring cities and the county sheriffs. Took hours to shut it down.

59 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Alcohol + sun + youth + crowd. Started with a couple drunks behind the bleachers trying to forcibly take bathing suits off passing women. Police intervened after some complaints and started to arrest the drunks. Crowd in the bleachers pelted the cops with bottles, cops called more cops and that triggered hundreds rioting overturning and burning police and lifeguard vehicles. Had to call lotsa cops from neighboring cities and the county sheriffs. Took hours to shut it down.

I'll bet you a dollar Gary Busey started it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

riot3 image.JPG

riots-3-.png

6 hours ago, QBF said:

It wasn't meant to look legit. Obviously, you have never watched the movie.

I know, thats why I made the joke.  lol  And, yes, I have seen that movie.  Like a gorillion times.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

44929899764_4a30f74980_b.jpg

Saunders Roe "Princess" flying boat at the first one's launch at the East Cowes works in 1952.  The largest all-metal flying boats ever built. 

None saw service, and were laid up, one in Cowes and two at Calshot until being scrapped in the 60s.  I remember walking past the Cowes one as a nipper.  A massive creature.

1280px-Saunders-Roe%2C_SR45%2C_Princess.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, MauiPunter said:

Wow.  Amazing the pilot survived (or atleast was able to land the plane)

I'm going to guess the plane is about to be jettisoned over the bow, as it's hooked up to the launching bridle. The holes are punched into the skin so it sinks quickly.   

On 8/23/2019 at 12:22 AM, MauiPunter said:

image.png.7f873189213fd9e15f4b6246a86b9ab0.pngWow.  Amazing the pilot survived (or atleast was able to land the plane)

I'm going to guess the plane is about to be jettisoned over the bow, as it's hooked up to the launching bridle. The holes are punched into the skin so it sinks quickly.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Either that or the plane was just recovered on deck?

Missing wings, horizontals and the engine?  Either way, it'd be quite a show.

Worked with a guy who served on a carrier. On the way to Hawaii, they tested the catapults by throwing junk cars into the next week. The crew loved it.  

4 hours ago, hobot said:

tumblr_pwag74sqRX1qazbepo1_540.jpg

Ah yes, Wendy and Lemmy.

Those were the days

• Like 2

14 hours ago, QBF said:

1373274801_MorganFreemanonthedeckofhisboat.jpg.7359603d6837d0d7141f61d2101fe0fe.jpg

Impressed, no pussy roller furling main- properly flaked the main on the boom.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:03 PM, hobot said:

beatles-2.jpg

Was watching this Netflix thing on John Lennon the other night...  commentator said this is the proclaimed to be one last known photos of the Fab 4  together at John Lennon's house.. .  Goes on to say John Lennon left that house shortly after and never returned to it..

I always thought this was the last photo... 

image.png.d586562b351035f0f1734a9854a27e39.png

On 8/24/2019 at 3:37 PM, Point Break said:

I responded to that call........

I remember this day too.  I was working doing the dispatch at a flying school/aircraft rental place at the Long Beach Airport...   very slow quiet day, then all of sudden the LA County Sheriffs Air Unit, that was next to us lights up like a Christmas tree and both of their helicopters a spooling up to take off...  Few minutes later one of the instructors comes in a tells us he saw what he thought was the aftermath crash on his way back from Fullerton airport.... 

As a result of this accident all jets are required to be equipped with a collision avoidance and required that light aircraft operating to be equipped with altitude reporting transponders. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QBF said:

image.thumb.jpeg.cb61be60e2ae9384d94023d68b9d0d7f.jpeg

The Azores. 

A most special bunch of islands, and a mandatory stop-over on the trip back from the Caribbean to the Med.  Cafe Bar Sport (aka Pete's) in Horta is absolutely required.

As was painting on the harbour wall.  Here's Phil Barrett in front of the DRUM one we traced off the transom and painted in 1987. I really hope it's still there.

image.thumb.png.4860e40014b9064219f01eacbcb00eff.png

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

The Azores. 

A most special bunch of islands, and a mandatory stop-over on the trip back from the Caribbean to the Med.  Cafe Bar Sport (aka Pete's) in Horta is absolutely required.

As was painting on the harbour wall.  Here's Phil Barrett in front of the DRUM one we traced off the transom and painted in 1987. I really hope it's still there.

image.thumb.png.4860e40014b9064219f01eacbcb00eff.png

Peter's Sport is probably the ultimate Sailor's Bar. We tied up along that wall with Transient in May '86 and saw a lot of famous boat name graffiti marques but few as nice at DRUM's P-Wop. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Peter's Sport is probably the ultimate Sailor's Bar. We tied up along that wall with Transient in May '86 and saw a lot of famous boat name graffiti marques but few as nice at DRUM's P-Wop. 

Ta.  Do you remember the enormous collection of whale ivory scrimshaw art upstairs at Peter's bar?  Hundreds of years of that old maritime tradition.  I'd love to know where it all went, as sadly it's not too kosher to show around these days.

Maybe not so forbidden in a place like the Azores or Bequia. I saw plenty of scrimshaw in the Grenadines last January and they still take an occasional whale.

Actually the place is known as Peter's Cafe Sport, much more classy sounding.

Image result for peter cafe sport azores

SAM_2663.jpg

The traditional name on the walk of fame before going to the bar.

SAM_1400.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hobot said:

66889265_2369215486491070_4405361634978037760_n.jpg

The 3rd prototype de Havilland DH 108 Swallow. which was designed to break the sound barrier.  All three were lost with their pilots, including GdH Jr.  This one in 1950.

1 hour ago, nacradriver said:

Was watching this Netflix thing on John Lennon the other night...  commentator said this is the proclaimed to be one last known photos of the Fab 4  together at John Lennon's house.. .  Goes on to say John Lennon left that house shortly after and never returned to it..

I always thought this was the last photo... 

image.png.d586562b351035f0f1734a9854a27e39.png

Even Ringo looks unhappy.

3 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

The 3rd prototype de Havilland DH 108 Swallow. which was designed to break the sound barrier.  All three were lost, this one in 1950.

One of those killed the scion of the De Havilland family.

Trying to break the barrier - in a dive!

I never understood anyone trying that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

258743-1330682255.jpg

HM Queen Elizabeth II walking with King Taufa'ahau Topou IV of Tonga on her visit in 1970.

His mother Queen Sālote Tupou III, who was equally substantial, attended the Queen's accession in London in 1953.  Riding in an open carriage, she was seated with the diminutive Sultan of Sarawak.  Apparently Noel Coward, who was one of the radio commentators, when asked who was sitting with Queen Salote. "I presume that's her lunch."  Aprocryphal story - glad for any corrections.

On 8/23/2019 at 12:37 PM, hobot said:

1_638a33a2e796413c926ae6bd17c64fbe.jpg

8cd6d4b.gif

Art vs Science.  Quality!!  :-)

sorry, that bastard of a Boss interrupted me from my daily duties....

chi-pacyga-fig02003_edited1-8774839a5760cc984f7121bf31cf879e63b5d406-s800-c85.jpg

CerritosAirDisasterImpactPoints.png

67293760_10219338260268249_225060877630439424_n.jpg