Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

11 minutes ago, QBF said:

That’s actor, Jeremy Irons who is actually sailing that boat. He is a long time sailer.

For some reason I had doubts about this reply but seems like QBF is spot on!

image.thumb.png.32938072be3c408da3350e52bbe1eb70.png

2 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

For some reason I had doubts about this reply but seems like QBF is spot on!

image.thumb.png.32938072be3c408da3350e52bbe1eb70.png

As for actor’s who sail, on the last page of this thread I posted a pic of Morgan Freeman sitting on the deck of his beloved Shannon built boat.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

umm.....can someone remind me again what the international designated color font for internet sarcasm is? 

Notte siurre.......               :)

Ah, yes.....mental note has been created.

goldfinger-db5-contunation-5-jpg-159458057113049353.jpg

FGS-1.jpg

g330659.jpg

18 minutes ago, hobot said:

g330659.jpg

That is a lot of riggin' to be friggin' with! My Dad used to do this stuff, well sort of, he was just the guy driving the tanker and the pukes in the Deck dept had to do all the really hard stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, QBF said:

That’s actor, Jeremy Irons who is actually sailing that boat. He is a long time sailer.

Hence the term "in irons".  Actually his sweatshirt is loose and baggy so the "through the arm" is likely just extra fabric spilling to leeward.

4 hours ago, QBF said:

He was born and raised in Cowes.  He's a few years older than me but I do remember him racing Dragons in Cowes Week in the late 60s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, QBF said:

Great.  Happy for him.  Now did he or the prop man rig that mainsheet.

1 hour ago, Merrill Levi said:

sarcasm.JPG

Some get it, some...not so much 

SarcMark-002.jpg

• Like 1

Chief Dan Mathews: 10-4

676719252_HighwayPatrol.thumb.jpg.39d9c6307502cb0952d5bc7189dd8161.jpg

542261876_IkarieXB-1.jpg.89700b43550fc7408244ec7673ce0f92.jpg

I came very close to purchasing this lovely schooner that was built sometime in the late 19th century (1880's or 1890's ).

Schooner.jpg.a768decf149c5ff6af69449761a9c5d2.jpg

11 hours ago, Rasputin22 said:

the pukes in the Deck dept had to do all the really hard stuff. 

Not to distract from this most wonderful of photo collections, but I served on the big grey boats (in the ship's engineering department) and did lots of refueling at sea.  While the deck department operates the equipment, the engineering department maintains the equipment (i.e. fixes it after the deck apes broke it) and also operates the pumping system to get fuel out of the tanks and into the hoses.   It is a bit of a trick to take, say, 1,000 tons of fuel out of a ship in a few hours and still keep the ship properly trimmed.  One ship I served in had 27 fuel tanks and three pumping stations, all of which could be interconnected in just about any configuration (to pull fuel from any tank, to discharge to any tank, and to pressurize any of 6 fuel transfer hoses).  

Sarcasm aside, replenishment at sea (that can include the transfer of fuel, food, ammunition, spare parts, mail, booze, whatever....) is a tricky and dangerous operation but it allows ships to stay at sea for a very long time.  That has a huge positive impact on any naval operation (the alternative would be something like ships having to rotate out of their assigned role regularly to return to port for provisioning).  A big shout out to everyone that makes this happen.  

Please carry on with this inspiring collection of photos!

11 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Hence the term "in irons".  Actually his sweatshirt is loose and baggy so the "through the arm" is likely just extra fabric spilling to leeward.

So when he goes head to wind, the sails flap and he can't get the boat to fall off on either tack, do the competition say.

"There's Irons, in irons again. Ironic."

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 11:19 PM, P_Wop said:

Ta.  Do you remember the enormous collection of whale ivory scrimshaw art upstairs at Peter's bar?  Hundreds of years of that old maritime tradition.  I'd love to know where it all went, as sadly it's not too kosher to show around these days.

Did some painting there too, so I enjoyed this recent bbc reel.

https://www.bbc.com/reel/video/p07kjh7q/the-post-office-930-miles-from-the-mainland

But this topic needs pic;
image.thumb.jpeg.edbd4a486ff86dfc1c1e2ccc9b153190.jpeg

Partying with local sailors, I joined some racing there;
image.thumb.jpeg.3ec2ab2ba769ff2f93642f614522ae4c.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.daf719b4137cc18cc06752a95ac2a3d2.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/30/2019 at 8:50 PM, hobot said:

lolita_in_tow-pics-for-book.jpg

Happened to me 30 years ago sailing out of San Pedro.. Interesting experience.

My OCD would never let me leave the slip without bending that pulpit back in place, it’s all I would see from the helm.

Those were a common sight sailing SF bay years back, not so since they moved north.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Happened to me 30 years ago sailing out of San Pedro.. Interesting experience.

Is that a towing hawser off the bow?

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NaptimeAgain said:

And does the sub know they're towing them?

22 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

Sure looks like its made to a bollard on the ass end of the sub. I have never seen a bollard on a sub though. Maybe some bubblebutt can shed some light on that one!:huh:

I don’t remember how long ago it was....like 30 years or so but some tug towing a barge in the Catalina Channel (I think it was at night?) got the tow line hooked onto the conning tower of a sub and when it dove it pulled the tug backwards under the water. I think a couple crew below deck drowned.

10 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Willow Creek. That assembly line was over a mile long!

With a 90 degree bend to keep it in the county with the lower tax rate.

3 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1561528369785.jpg

There's something really off about the scale of the people in that photograph.

FB_IMG_1560780184066.jpg

Brasilia:  When politicians have grand ideas, but no sense of reality;  When urban planners are seduced by theory and ignore practicality; When architects have brilliant ideas about form but no sense of scale

• Like 1

The Rifleman cap gun... I had one and it was a lot of fun!

s-l1000.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, hobot said:

3d2ad31.gif

At first glance, I thought that was one going "boom," but it looks deal level heading out of the picture.  Sub launched cruise missile?  It's impressive.

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

LAFD Truck 15 near USC. Probably late 60’s. 

That mustache says mid 70's

4 hours ago, hobot said:

Is that an axe he's packing on his hip?

Prolly for protection against the folks he’s protecting. 

34 minutes ago, warbird said:

A caricature  of an airplane?

"If they could make a washing machine fly, my Jimmy could land it."

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That mustache says mid 70's

Could be, but they went to different helmets earlier than that I think. The turnouts are also the older heavy treated “canvas like” turnouts with the corduroy collar. No flash hood.  The belt axe looks double bladed as well.......not sure what to even think of that. I never saw a double bladed truckers axe. The flash lite on the helmet is pretty 70’s though. So mid 70’s is certainly possible. I didn’t start till 1976. Don’t know if the mustache is all that reliable an indicator though. We likes our mustaches.........