Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

On 9/3/2019 at 11:10 AM, Point Break said:

Sure looks like its made to a bollard on the ass end of the sub. I have never seen a bollard on a sub though. Maybe some bubblebutt can shed some light on that one!:huh:

I don’t remember how long ago it was....like 30 years or so but some tug towing a barge in the Catalina Channel (I think it was at night?) got the tow line hooked onto the conning tower of a sub and when it dove it pulled the tug backwards under the water. I think a couple crew below deck drowned.

Not a bubblehead - but subs have movable bollards/ winches that can be taken off when about to submerge.  I think I remember that some are even powered, and can be raised or lowered from inside the boat. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Not a bubblehead - but subs have movable bollards/ winches that can be taken off when about to submerge.  I think I remember that some are even powered, and can be raised or lowered from inside the boat. 

lolita_in_tow-pics-for-book.jpg

Generally the cletes/ bollards are hinged and flipped down to fair the superstructure while still on the maneuvering watch (the watch set for getting underway or entering port). There usually are capstans both fore and aft that are also retracted into the superstructure too.

On the diesel boat I was on, Dogfish, SS-350, we also had a torpedo recovery boom that was permanently mounted on the fore deck that we used frequently to recover Mark 37s we shot during  exercises.

I can't tell what class boat that is nor imagine why they would have the stern capstan up while underway. If I had to guess, I'd say the sailboat might have had a drogue/ sea anchor deployed that got snagged on the stern planes of the sub, but I'd also expect the sub to have a diver go out to clear it.

That's an awful small sub, there used to be two small diesel subs stationed out of Key West in the early 70s. T

It's a mystery to me. 

3 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

IMG_7390.jpg

A bit depressing to think that they are all grandmothers - or dead.

6 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

A bit depressing to think that they are all grandmothers - or dead.

no one lives forever

22 minutes ago, warbird said:

3SwABEqS_400x400.jpg.0f9354eed111294c3fce0bf4c384f854.jpg

I gotta agree with the Bird here........I’m pretty sure this guy will outlive us all......

3 hours ago, Point Break said:

I gotta agree with the Bird here........I’m pretty sure this guy will outlive us all......

As long as he gets plugged into three-phase power every morning, and has all his vital fluids changed weekly, he'll be around until the apocalypse.

11 minutes ago, hobot said:

seaside-park-fire-4-700x395.jpg

I think the fun is over.

13 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

no one lives forever

Amen .

11 hours ago, MauiPunter said:

I think the fun is over.

It's all fun until someone sets the house of fire!

11 hours ago, hobot said:

tumblr_ppzv9peDNf1xmmi4uo1_540.jpg

I couldn't find the source of this fine photo.

This is a nice collection.

3 hours ago, QBF said:

Nissan.jpeg.2453f411f5ce3707626694fc75bad399.jpeg

Here's what you get in that box.

image.png.6abb4c343afde54d343fe20d7b9cd1ff.png

A long time ago in a galaxy far away I had a young ladyfriend who was pretty handy with needle and thread. 

She was given the remnants of a moth-eaten mink stole by her granny.  Knowing that I was off to do some cold-weather offshore racing, she constructed a "willy-warmer" - with mink on the inside. 

The other crew wondered why I had that permanent cheesy grin for the entire race.

In retrospect, I should've married that girl.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hobot said:

main-qimg-76f85d9bbfde4bb950309b7f08d2bd0d.jpg

tumblr_mwnbraArZQ1qcr6iqo1_1280-1024x637.jpg

nevadanucleartest.jpg

Hobot weird timing. That sub is the Blueback which is a museum piece in Portland. A good friend was a sonar tech on board for almost 4 years and we are going to take an on board tour with him early OCT (4th or the 5th if anyone is in town and wants to join - followed by a bunch of beer)...

I just forwarded him the picture and he was most grateful.

• Like 2

On 9/5/2019 at 5:08 PM, Charlie Foxtrot said:

Actually the bollards/winches are on a rotating foundation which are rotated then fixed in place while under tow or at anchor. the winches are definitely powered, because you wouldn't be able to tie up if you didn't have the mooring capability of a winch.

13 minutes ago, hobot said:

Launching-of-SS-William-Clark.jpg

A Liberty ship hits the water, and the first piece of steel is ready to be laid to start the next one.  We owe those people so, so much.

1 hour ago, justsomeguy! said:

So many photographs whose provenance I wish to know!

You do know the right click "search Google for image" trick ?