Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

1 hour ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wowe!  I wante oune!

One came up for sale on Pawn Stars.  It was pretty cool.

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wowe!  I wante oune!

Makes it safe to date redheads.

23 hours ago, Raptorsailor said:

2w4if6jzzoi31.jpg.341955673b57f6f7fe1d9ba2dbc52521.jpgYF-23_1.jpg.4ad0a7bed23753a8b2313488186c8d2b.jpgw2j3yd2n1tj31.jpg.cafe2870cb94e701da0f07aacd8b0c49.jpg

What is going on in that subway... a protest?

4 minutes ago, sail69 said:

What is going on in that subway... a protest?

Hong Kong police. In this image they indiscriminately attacked people in the MTR. Photos from /r/Hongkong on reddit. 

On 9/10/2019 at 3:37 AM, SloopJonB said:

Makes it safe to date redheads.

Oh fuck!  POTW!

25 minutes ago, hobot said:

envPugT1qzd3rjo1_1280-768x520.jpg

Not to get too political, but are we really concerned about that trade war with China and what might happen to them?  Fuck them and the Panda they rode in on.

2 hours ago, chester said:

errr, hobot? i love vintage skate pics but top of page????:D

Yea, I was on autopilot and missed the count.

s-l400.jpg

tumblr_04e388c14ef72352f7d2d280c5b08705_857620eb_640.jpg

FB_IMG_1557385117238.jpg

4 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1563463009993.jpg

We don't need no stinkin' seat belts.

On 9/11/2019 at 5:25 PM, hobot said:

Yea, I was on autopilot and missed the count.

s-l400.jpg

tumblr_04e388c14ef72352f7d2d280c5b08705_857620eb_640.jpg

FB_IMG_1557385117238.jpg

Bad photo combo.

Freaking Gacy!

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell2 said:

Bad photo combo.

Freaking Gacy!

:lol:

48 minutes ago, aA said:
59 minutes ago, Point Break said:

Altamont?

yessir

What a cluster that was. I guess Meredith Hunter learned the hard way not to pull a gun on a Hells Angel. I still wonder who he intended to shoot........or if he was just packing for “protection”. I seem to recall he got beat up by the Angels earlier?

17 minutes ago, Point Break said:

What a cluster that was. I guess Meredith Hunter learned the hard way not to pull a gun on a Hells Angel. I still wonder who he intended to shoot........or if he was just packing for “protection”. 

anyone pulling a firearm against a crowd, regardless of their alcohol (and whatever else) or club association, is not using their common senses... and late 60's HA with beer as payment for "security" was an ill advised shit show just waiting to happen, happen it did unfortunately

I have known many Star boats, but have never seen a fitting like the one circled in this pic - my first guess is a shy reach jib sheet fairlead, but that seems a clumsy way to lead a sheet, or may be a down wind crew hiking location ?

any other idea's

Star handles2.jpg

44 minutes ago, Merrill Levi said:

I have known many Star boats, but have never seen a fitting like the one circled in this pic - my first guess is a shy reach jib sheet fairlead, but that seems a clumsy way to lead a sheet, or may be a down wind crew hiking location ?

any other idea's

Star handles2.jpg

could be a water deflector?

image.thumb.png.f8948623c6531063155e76813d83268b.png

4 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

any other idea's

Star handles2.jpg

all the old Geary 18s on the lake had those before the use of trapezes.  Boat is fairly full forward and the crew has the windward leg over the side of the boat.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Laker said:

all the old Geary 18s on the lake had those before the use of trapezes.  Boat is fairly full forward and the crew has the windward leg over the side of the boat.  

reckon that is it - thanks Lake

1 hour ago, Autonomous said:

I think he is asking about the things that look like handles.

Ahh, the thing on the rail. He should dig around into the long history, I only sailed the modern version and that was 25 years ago in Chicago.

This photo shows something similar and it looks like adjustable shrouds. ? Perhaps called, "long chainplates."

Items of note: massive mast; mechanical mast partners; roller reefing with "claws"; fixed gooseneck; below-deck halyard cleating; single jib fairlead loop; long chainplates; snubbing winch.

image.png.66f38d5c8c30003d1bb8bd456e61078f.png

https://starclass.org/history/history

• Like 1

great pic Lasal - love that snubber winch - that pic also has 'handles on the the deck, although in this pic, they are aft of the mast.

7 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

great pic Lasal - love that snubber winch - that pic also has 'handles on the the deck, although in this pic, they are aft of the mast.

The Star class website is really good. What a storied design and history. When I zoom in on the first photo you posted, it looks like a long chainplate that is notched out - - perhaps so the deck doesn't have to span the distance along the inside edge. And the cartoon below from 1940, which is pretty funny, shows the long cutout chainplates too if you look closely. I'll sign off, but I'm hoping you or other Star officianados start a thread on the design.

image.png.43459d78c74bd7ed6e797dc723d87c79.png

image.png.5351ae90c96bc93c400e4ea23da2d46e.png

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, QBF said:

voile-pen-duick-iii-et-pen-duick-vi-en-e

It still boggles me that Tabarly raced that damn thing solo across the Atlantic.  A true giant.

15 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

It still boggles me that Tabarly raced that damn thing solo across the Atlantic.  A true giant.

When I was standing next to it after the finish of the 1976 OSTAR, it was even more amazing he did that alone. The people on the boat hide all the coffee-grinders Tabarly had to work by himself.