Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

39 minutes ago, hobot said:

0407202.jpg

On 4 June, Pittsburgh began to fight a typhoon which by early next day had increased to 70-knot (130 km/h) winds and 100-foot (30 m) waves. Shortly after her starboard scout plane had been lifted off its catapult and dashed onto the deck by the wind, Pittsburgh's second deck buckled, her bow structure thrust upward, and then the front fell off. 

Don't look at me - WIKI said it. :D

10 hours ago, Off Watch said:

07b8af9c9033048b0b224ddcd5a0cc24.jpg.6a6ea2f583816026e16c5ea7124fd13b.jpgThat is just so wrong. On flat tappet air cooled engines you need a oil that has zinc and phosphorous in it. 

Are you saying you wouldn't tappet that?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, QBF said:

0qfF1Fj.jpg

Streamlining was just so much cooler and more beautiful than aerodynamics. :D

image.png.f86bb8c69f9f8e43a5f92e3efe893115.png

• Like 1

After a seven-hour battle, the storm subsided, and Pittsburgh proceeded at 6 knots (11 km/h) to Guam, arriving on 10 June. Her bow, nicknamed "McKeesport" (a suburb of Pittsburgh), was later salvaged by the tugboat Munsee and brought into Guam. The 104-foot section of bow broke off owing to poor plate welds at the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co. at the Fore River Shipyard, Quincy, Massachusetts, in April 1943.

With a false bow, Pittsburgh left Guam on 24 June bound for Puget Sound Navy Yard, arriving 16 July. Still under repair at war's end, she was placed in commission in reserve on 12 March 1946 and decommissioned on 7 March 1947. The typhoon damage also earned her the nickname "Longest Ship in the World" as thousands of miles separated the bow and stern.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, hobot said:

07bfe530273273b27d73b0a9ce11042c.jpg

That brings back some old memories. My Dad was a furnace mechanic. I helped him repair and replace a few of these old "Octopus" style oil furnaces back in the day. Usually they were set on to the foundation, then the house was built around it. They would have to be hacked up to get out the door.  And they were heavy.

3 hours ago, NaptimeAgain said:

After a seven-hour battle, the storm subsided, and Pittsburgh proceeded at 6 knots (11 km/h) to Guam, arriving on 10 June. Her bow, nicknamed "McKeesport" (a suburb of Pittsburgh), was later salvaged by the tugboat Munsee and brought into Guam. The 104-foot section of bow broke off owing to poor plate welds at the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Co. at the Fore River Shipyard, Quincy, Massachusetts, in April 1943.

With a false bow, Pittsburgh left Guam on 24 June bound for Puget Sound Navy Yard, arriving 16 July. Still under repair at war's end, she was placed in commission in reserve on 12 March 1946 and decommissioned on 7 March 1947. The typhoon damage also earned her the nickname "Longest Ship in the World" as thousands of miles separated the bow and stern.

Thanks for the history lesson - sincerely! 

3 hours ago, CyberBOB said:

That brings back some old memories. My Dad was a furnace mechanic. I helped him repair and replace a few of these old "Octopus" style oil furnaces back in the day. Usually they were set on to the foundation, then the house was built around it. They would have to be hacked up to get out the door.  And they were heavy.

Did your Dad sound like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVmyaUHNdOQ

3 hours ago, CyberBOB said:

Wase youre dad an Olsmobille man?                               :)

6 hours ago, CyberBOB said:

And filled with asbestos. Worked well though when running properly. 

5 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Wase youre dad an Olsmobille man?                               :)

Did he ever win a major award ?

On 11/19/2019 at 8:40 PM, SloopJonB said:

Doesn't look like he made that one.

https://selvedgeyard.com/2012/10/16/evel-knievel-triumph-over-the-fountains-at-caesars-palace/

1967, San Francisco — Evel Knievel jumps his 1967 Triumph motorcycle between two ramps, 100 feet apart, to open a Sports Cycle Exhibition. –The Associated Press/File photo

no mention of whether he made it or not.. but it was the same year of the caesars palace jump

07bfe530273273b27d73b0a9ce11042c.jpg

We had something like that in the basement back in the days of my earliest memories. Once, when we had overnight company, Mom tried to get me and my brother to sleep on the studio couch down there.

No fuckin' way Mom, there's monsters behind that thing!

The company wound up sleeping in the basement.

• Like 1

I love that furnace!

What strikes me is how easy it would be to maintain and repair that furnace.  All the components are right where you can see, test and access them, and likely each one could be replaced if necessary.  

While I am sure new furnaces are more reliable, more efficient and quieter, that picture illustrates a different time.  

Thanks for the excellent photos!  

2 hours ago, Marcjsmith said:

https://selvedgeyard.com/2012/10/16/evel-knievel-triumph-over-the-fountains-at-caesars-palace/

1967, San Francisco — Evel Knievel jumps his 1967 Triumph motorcycle between two ramps, 100 feet apart, to open a Sports Cycle Exhibition. –The Associated Press/File photo

no mention of whether he made it or not.. but it was the same year of the caesars palace jump

That pic looks like he's on his way down well before the 1/2 way point but maybe not - if it happened like it looks he would have been too damaged to make the Caesar's jump that year.

1 hour ago, bugger said:

I love that furnace!

What strikes me is how easy it would be to maintain and repair that furnace.  All the components are right where you can see, test and access them, and likely each one could be replaced if necessary.  

Including all the asbestos.

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:53 PM, SloopJonB said:

On 4 June, Pittsburgh began to fight a typhoon which by early next day had increased to 70-knot (130 km/h) winds and 100-foot (30 m) waves. Shortly after her starboard scout plane had been lifted off its catapult and dashed onto the deck by the wind, Pittsburgh's second deck buckled, her bow structure thrust upward, and then the front fell off. 

Don't look at me - WIKI said it. :D

Collision bulkhead-- Dont' leave home without one....

My parents lived that.

The Woodwards W is still there.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That pic looks like he's on his way down well before the 1/2 way point but maybe not - if it happened like it looks he would have been too damaged to make the Caesar's jump that year.

thats what i was thinking...  maybe at 100' it was test for  caesars... which was  quite a bit longer...

19 hours ago, sadug said:

CyberBob - this link should work.......

We used to kill our selves laughing watching that scene.  He never went quite that ballistic, and the words were more under his breathe, but still...

Buick, not Olds, and I can't remember him ever winning a major award, but we did get him a leg lamp Christmas ornament one year.

2 hours ago, hobot said:

027c4e679b3311e801b45eb1de477dfd.jpg

Nessie, you our a biche!                                                       :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hobot said:

886x1216x1.jpg

"Whatevere you wantte, honke the horne, grinde the geares, drive teh rigge , Ime am lickeng you bigge"                                               :)

3 hours ago, hobot said:

027c4e679b3311e801b45eb1de477dfd.jpg

Is that V shape between the splash and the boat Campbell or just shrapnel?

On 11/20/2019 at 12:35 AM, Kmullen said:

6D07CCDF-81A6-464B-8323-53D8ABBB457E.png

This brings back memories of working midnights for NIPSCO at the late D H Mitchell power plant in Gary, IN.  I'd take the Hobie 16 to work and when I got off in the morning I'd head off to Lake Street Beach for a sail.

13 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Nessie, you our a biche!                                                       :)

I burned the inside of my nose w/hot coffee - fugger! 

ask not what your country can do for you, but what you cam do for your country.

Please correct me if i paraphrased

Sad Day

On 11/19/2019 at 5:56 PM, warbird said:

Maico breako?

Do tell? 

Can't say I never didn't finish a race on a MAICO.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1574437246704.jpg

What might have been?

55 minutes ago, burndoc said:

ask not what your country can do for you,

ask what you can do for your country.

Slight edit

40 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Do tell? 

Can't say I never didn't finish a race on a MAICO.

No firsthand eye witness accounts. Either an Ed Hertfelder column or pit talk  at Star Track in El Paso.

And people say it's worse now, or at least no better.

:rolleyes:

The bayonet thing always blows my mind s bit.....the fact that our Government would be willing to turn our troops on Citizens is troubling.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hobot said:

The bayonet thing always blows my mind s bit.....the fact that our Government would be willing to turn our troops on Citizens is troubling.

Adgreede!  Ande the factte that citiziens didde notte steere cleare an attacted ist juste as troubelling.                                       :)

4 hours ago, hobot said:

Tensiometer upgrade.

B)

self lubricating

6 hours ago, hobot said:

The fact that it was necessary was what was troubling.

It was the fault of the racist cocksuckers in Little Rock (and all over the south), not the government.

Don't forget - they were protecting children going to school from a mob - who would likely have murdered them absent the soldiers.

On 11/21/2019 at 6:42 PM, hobot said:

47b1597.jpg

IMHO, this pic belongs on the LONQR thread, doesn't it?

9 hours ago, QBF said:

6v6yrtgvtrege.jpeg.e5363a5c263aa9d8faa4414937c737fd.jpeg

Thet looks licke 'Snaggey Heavene"                                                                  :)