Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

This magnificent thread is the living proof that if you set your SA preferences to "100 posts" you get rewarded every time!  Thanks, mate.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, P_Wop said:

This magnificent thread is the living proof that if you set your SA preferences to "100 posts" you get rewarded every time!  Thanks, mate.

I started this thread using a sock puppet because SA being SA I figured it would run off into the weeds within 10 posts, and with the help of many other members here we are now almost 10 years later. 

How the heck did this happen?

• Like 11

I got to say BB, you do a good job with your follow-ups!

FB_IMG_1599236640762.jpg

FB_IMG_1599295781649.jpg

FB_IMG_1599195242785.jpg

1 hour ago, hobot said:

No snags, Catherine was one badass war reporter who survived a lot of s*** and got the job done only to be taken down but cancer at 61(?).

FB_IMG_1599322098091.jpg

Original "Sambo's" in Santa Barbara? I read they just changed their name...

2 hours ago, hobot said:

No snags, Catherine was one badass war reporter who survived a lot of s*** and got the job done only to be taken down but cancer at 61(?).

respecte

2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1599275070571.jpg

She had major ladyballs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hobot said:

I started this thread using a sock puppet because SA being SA I figured it would run off into the weeds within 10 posts, and with the help of many other members here we are now almost 10 years later. 

Lots of great work by you.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

Pamela Green...

1960's NUDE Model PAMELA GREEN/AKA Rita Landre Harrison Marks 35mm GLASS  Slide | #1864510891

june palmer | Pamela green, Glamour modeling, British films

Picture of Pamela Green

Pin on Classic Camera Club

128 Best Pamela Green Related images in 2020 | Pamela green, Harrison  marks, Pamela

Profile | Pamela green, Harrison marks, Vintage pinup

Dang Billy, that's some top of the page material there!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, hobot said:

Dang Billy, that's some top of the page material there!

You gave the cue, hobot!   I'm just riding your coattails!! :)

5 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

You gave the cue, hobot!   I'm just riding your coattails!! :)

Billy, make some room in your mailbox!

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Billy, make some room in your mailbox!

sorry about that hobot. 25 messages deleted....  fire away!!

5 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1599302205055.jpg

A riding style popularized AFAIK by Kenny Roberts.   Those magnificent 2 stroke  500s were at the time unfettered horsepower. Went from gentlemen riding in bowler helmets to yrue athleticism on the track.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hobot said:

We still run off into the weeds:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warbird said:

We still run off into the weeds:lol:

Well, to be fair, it is the grand tradition here.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, hobot said:

c65cb6532a1715679694dd26098cf37e.jpg

The bike I lusted after and probably lucky I couldn't afford. I had more than enough credits to graduate HS spring senior year.  Ranked 513 in a class of 485:D. Morning study hall I took my Suzuki 90 to the field behind the cemetary every day. Showed up to Home Economics covered in mud. Physics was my only interesting class back then. Learning to type with my thumbs would come 40 years later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hobot said:

118627763_10216065198737289_4206135899899483741_o.jpg

Bloody hell.  My Isle of Wight dentist's room looked exactly like that, until I escaped in the late 70s.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, P_Wop said:

Bloody hell.  My Isle of Wight dentist's room looked exactly like that, until I escaped in the late 70s.

I never had novacaine until I was in the Army. The thing about that drill rig compared to modern rigs is the speed of the drill, they were not nearly as fast as today.  

20 hours ago, hobot said:

Thanks for the mammaries.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, BravoBravo said:

I never had novacaine until I was in the Army. The thing about that drill rig compared to modern rigs is the speed of the drill, they were not nearly as fast as today.  

Was involved in designing and manufacturing those drills and a whole bunch of other bone drilling, sawing, reaming, rasping, shaping tools for a lot of years. Various implants too.

The first big breakthrough in dental / oral surgical drills was modifying them from a straightforward vaned air motor to a turbine configuration. Turbines compress incoming gas and then apply that to the rotor on the drive shaft. Results in high speed and low torque which is good for enamel or bone working to minimize heat. Too much heat = cell death in bone or enamel. Second big breakthrough was being able to power tools with electricity - corded to wall then cordless battery. Old school nitrogen tanks in the OR or office operatory were a big hassle and the pneumatic hoses limited a clinicians ability to use the handpiece as freely as needed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, warbird said:

A riding style popularized AFAIK by Kenny Roberts.   Those magnificent 2 stroke  500s were at the time unfettered horsepower. Went from gentlemen riding in bowler helmets to yrue athleticism on the track.

He probably saw these guys racing and thought "Hmmmm..."

image.jpeg.001086d80b089562f4b05bd448cf3421.jpeg

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hobot said:

118627763_10216065198737289_4206135899899483741_o.jpg

That brings back some bad memories.

"spit"

Cable driven drills. :o

I asked my current dentist how fast his drill was - over 100,000 RPM. So fast the bearings are air.

18 hours ago, hobot said:

c65cb6532a1715679694dd26098cf37e.jpg

My last bike. It was an animal and almost useless on the street - had no "cruise". The throttle was like a switch - on or off.

Fucker almost broke my foot with kickback on the starter - until it broke and I had to wait the usual Yamaha year for a new gear. Spent that year running & bumping it.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

He probably saw these guys racing and thought "Hmmmm..."

image.jpeg.001086d80b089562f4b05bd448cf3421.jpeg

Do current iterations have slicks and F1 technolgy aero?

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

My last bike. It was an animal and almost useless on the street - had no "cruise". The throttle was like a switch - on or off.

Fucker almost broke my foot with kickback on the starter - until it broke and I had to wait the usual Yamaha year for a new gear. Spent that year running & bumping it.

Later the 400 came out. A riding friend at Ft Bliss had one. My Can Am 175 was faster:D Corporal Johnson had a Honda XL 350. He followed me through a set of whoops. I went back when he he didnt show up 3 minutes later.  He was groaning on the ground and his bike had a "testicle dent" middle top of the fuel tank.:blink:

11 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1599411878037.jpg

Disturbing but less than perjorative at the time. That would be a 50s pic I would guess  because by the 60s that phraseolgy was slowly being removed and labeled as offensive (which it is), but, this is history in pictures, not PA.

22 minutes ago, warbird said:

Do current iterations have slicks and F1 technolgy aero?

Sorta.

image.png.386f3b30b4df2b5451f295d21fed48a4.pngimage.png.90597109b2b5980904a02ef387e3d30c.png

I've been told they call them "worms", not sidecars now

17 minutes ago, warbird said:

Silk, and a seam up the back just seems better.....

I dunno - stilettos and no laces have a certain appeal.

Emmi Black Thigh High Heeled Boots | Shoes | PrettyLittleThing USA

4 hours ago, hobot said:

Tizak, what's a modern setup look like?

The link below shows the current product lineup of drill and saws from Hall Surgical the company I worked for. It's a page from Conmed, the company that bought Hall after I left. We were a part of Bristol Myers back then and had a lot more products in our quiver and a very serious budget to work with.

https://www.conmed.com/en/medical-specialties/orthopedics/hall-powered-instruments

From what I'm seeing it looks like the high speed oral drill is still nitrogen powered. We had designs for an electric version years ago.

Great shop tools but not cost effective outside the medical market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That brings back some bad memories.

"spit"

Cable driven drills. :o

I asked my current dentist how fast his drill was - over 100,000 RPM. So fast the bearings are air.

100K RPM is pretty standard. The bearings and seals are a very big deal. Not only do they need to withstand the torture of high speed rotation but they also need to handle various sterilization protocols. Per FDA standards and just common sense not much from the outside can be allowed in and not much from the inside can be allowed to get out. We worked with numerous bearing and seal producers to develop proper components as well as major petroleum sources to come up with non-toxic greases and lubricants that could handle the speeds and temps. Air bearings ultimately became a great solution to some of the issues.

Long ago there were some serious lawsuits over the problems caused by the heat produced in the oral surgical drills. Our most troubling one was that of a dentist who permanently scarred the outside of a high school cheerleader's cheek while removing her wisdom teeth. Used the burr guard as a retractor to push her cheek out of the way. Verdict: Operator Error - pay up doc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warbird said:

Later the 400 came out. A riding friend at Ft Bliss had one. My Can Am 175 was faster:D Corporal Johnson had a Honda XL 350. He followed me through a set of whoops. I went back when he he didnt show up 3 minutes later.  He was groaning on the ground and his bike had a "testicle dent" middle top of the fuel tank.:blink:

I got an XL 350 and a Yamaha & Kawasaki 250 for a Honda 750 trade. The XL had a lovely engine for the trail but even after I stripped it it was too heavy to ride fast.

14 minutes ago, Autonomous said:

I got an XL 350 and a Yamaha & Kawasaki 250 for a Honda 750 trade. The XL had a lovely engine for the trail but even after I stripped it it was too heavy to ride fast.

4 strokes have become lovely machines.:D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hobot said:

Paris_Alésia-c1950.jpg

Montrouge Palace, a movie theater in Paris, for 99 years... With many rebuilds, as you can see below.

https://www.google.com/maps/@48.8280601,2.3267558,3a,75y,69.2h,87.51t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sKBG56fzcSYG_nY4ujjVzVg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

More details here:

http://plomo-et-moi.over-blog.com/2015/04/du-montrouge-palace-au-gaumont-alesia-mardi-14-avril-2015.html

1 minute ago, ancientseawolf said:

This could get your knickers in a twist

and whateveres in them to!                                           :)

14 hours ago, Autonomous said:

XL 350 was an awesome bike as was the Yamaha XT....  both were the preferred tool for stunt work.... 

Yamaha-XT350-748x421.jpg

But the beast of all beast  right out of the crate you could win with it...  but once the aftermarket companies go a hold of it!!!!!   Woowwwwzaaaaaa :)

Honda-XR600R-91-2.jpg

2 hours ago, ancientseawolf said:

image.thumb.png.e7b83bb7c9cdae6c890b0ed696c89ad9.pngThis could get your knickers in a twist

Jeezuss - getting your pants leg caught in a bicycle chain was bad enough.

That thing could chew your leg off and then cook it on the header.