Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

28 minutes ago, hobot said:

gallery_medium (1).jpg

That is a "Command terminated" ahead of schedule!

17 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

careyatides?

careyaloads!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:

Lookes licke the bigge digge                         :)

Close, but it's a different dig: the Red Line extension, Harvard Square.

2 hours ago, warbird said:

An official of the civilian San Francisco Bar Pilots Association said a civilian pilot had been in charge of steering the ship as it sailed under the Golden Gate Bridge but had turned over command to a Navy pilot before the Enterprise went aground.

lucky bastard...

4 hours ago, warbird said:

That's the aircraft carrier version of putting your crew at the end of the boom...

4 hours ago, hobot said:

image-asset (1).jpeg

Funny set of aircraft related images in the last two pages. 

The image of Catalina airport reminded me of the time, flying into John Wayne, when we turned over Catalina airport there was a twin crashed at the end of that runway

Then the Boing construction of a 727, my dad's command.

And finally the tail section image in Brooklyn, was just down the street from my uncle's brownstone.

16 hours ago, hobot said:

4f8407dec17b325397e606f09f6deb46.jpg

shitski - guess that may be why Rumi never became famous for their suspension !

3 minutes ago, Merrill Levi said:

shitski - guess that may be why Rumi never became famous for their suspension !

....or their expansion chambers....   But truth be told, some form of "leading link" suspension was common into the 60s.

See the source image

See the source image

I would sure like to understand expansion chambers more. I think about the ones on dirt bikes and how they wrap around the bike.

'80's XR 250 for example....

s-l225.jpg

17 hours ago, hobot said:

For VWAP....

FB_IMG_1603335443708.jpg

Take it to LONQR 2

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, pbd said:

Take it to LONQR 2

52 minutes ago, pbd said:

Take it to LONQR 2

No, No, NO!! That is totally appropriate for VWAP!!

2 hours ago, hobot said:

I would sure like to understand expansion chambers more. I think about the ones on dirt bikes and how they wrap around the bike.

s-l225.jpg

mostly all to do with the length of the pipe, so it get's wrapped and wriggled around the bike until the desired "tuned" length is obtained to create a compression (or acoustic) wave. When "the piston is on the compression stroke but the exhaust port is still open, an unavoidable problem with the two stroke piston port design. To help prevent the piston pushing fresh mixture out the open exhaust port the strong acoustic wave (produced by the combustion) from the expansion chamber is timed to arrive [at the open exhaust port - ML] during the beginning of the compression stroke"   So the compression wave just makes up for the deficiencies of the port design keeping more fuel/air mix in the cylinder = more bang.

quoted text in italics stolen from Wikipedia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pbd said:

FB_IMG_1603335443708.jpg

Oh, I thought those were twin expansion chambers tuned and timed to burn off exhaust for maximum effect.

4 minutes ago, Poodle56 said:

IMG_4210.thumb.JPG.2ee063ce8b09aeab654bf6afa8956b76.JPG

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

IMG_4216.JPG

I hate to admit it, but the first photo gets me more aroused...

I only had one all Campy bike in my life but more busty girls along the way than I can remember now don't quite measure up after all these years!

17 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

the first photo gets me more aroused...

Of a bike that hasn't been used?

35 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

Geez you're old.

36 minutes ago, Rasputin22 said:

I only had one all Campy bike in my life but more busty girls along the way than I can remember now don't quite measure up after all these years!

We'll give you 10 minutes to delete, and say no more about it!

2 hours ago, Merrill Levi said:

mostly all to do with the length of the pipe, so it get's wrapped and wriggled around the bike until the desired "tuned" length is obtained to create a compression (or acoustic) wave. When "the piston is on the compression stroke but the exhaust port is still open, an unavoidable problem with the two stroke piston port design. To help prevent the piston pushing fresh mixture out the open exhaust port the strong acoustic wave (produced by the combustion) from the expansion chamber is timed to arrive [at the open exhaust port - ML] during the beginning of the compression stroke"   So the compression wave just makes up for the deficiencies of the port design keeping more fuel/air mix in the cylinder = more bang.

quoted text in italics stolen from Wikipedia

I think I understand the reason on the length of the exhaust pipe but it's also the shaped sections between where it bolts to the head and the pipe trails off 

6 hours ago, hobot said:

s-l225.jpg

That would be a CR250.  An XR would be a 4 stroke.  Because 2 strokes exhale through a port on the side of the cylinder during the down "power" stroke during which intake may also be happening through ports in the cylinder wall from the compressed crankcase fuel mixture (piston port), an expansion chamber accepts the expanding and rapidly moving exhaust gasses.  The tapered end (after the fat part of the chamber) causes a reversionary wave (echo?) to bounce back at the open exhaust port while the crankcase pressure is still  blowing fuel air mixture into the cylinder through the intake port.  A 2 stroke is "on the pipe" when that reversionary wave is hitting the exhaust port and pushing fuel air mixture that traveled into exhaust back into the combustion chamber.  This can be considered "sonic supercharging".  All forms of "pipes" have been developed to either maximize peak horsepower or spread the power band for rideabilty.  As the ports, both intake and exhaust are in the cylinder walls, the location (distance from TDC or BDC) and the chamber design have significant impact on how the engine develops power.  The RD and H1/H2 guys have a better grasp, but , port height and chamber design are akin to  lift and duration for a 4 stroke cam to be brutally simple.

Respectfully submitted after 3 Bacardi on the rocks

7 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1603417269095.jpg

reminds me of a "hit or miss" backyard engine regulator.

31 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1603415858048.jpg

Carlo Mollino's astonishing 1952 table.  At auction at Sotheby's NY next week, estimate $2-3m.

I want one!

57 minutes ago, P_Wop said:
1 hour ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1603415858048.jpg

Carlo Mollino's astonishing 1952 table.  At auction at Sotheby's NY next week, estimate $2-3m.

I want one!

Lookes eazey enuffe to builde                                                 :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Lookes eazey enuffe to builde                                                 :)

You really can  be a prick in the most loveable way.......

4 minutes ago, Snaggletooth said:

Thack you?  I thick......

Reminds me of a GB 32 hanging in the slings at our yard.  Boat is lovely but salt/fresh/salt/fresh/salt/fresh water cycles seem to have had an effect on the frame to keel bolts in the forefoot.  A steady slow weep of water has owner thinking goop a nd carving will change the fact that  rusted bolts (sooner or later) will let go.  Wood is a lovely medium in the right environment.

4 hours ago, Snaggletooth said:
5 hours ago, P_Wop said:
5 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1603415858048.jpg

I want one!

Go and work on Tally Ho with Leo for a few years before starting this table. B)

7 hours ago, warbird said:

That would be a CR250.  An XR would be a 4 stroke.  Because 2 strokes exhale through a port on the side of the cylinder during the down "power" stroke during which intake may also be happening through ports in the cylinder wall from the compressed crankcase fuel mixture (piston port), an expansion chamber accepts the expanding and rapidly moving exhaust gasses.  The tapered end (after the fat part of the chamber) causes a reversionary wave (echo?) to bounce back at the open exhaust port while the crankcase pressure is still  blowing fuel air mixture into the cylinder through the intake port.  A 2 stroke is "on the pipe" when that reversionary wave is hitting the exhaust port and pushing fuel air mixture that traveled into exhaust back into the combustion chamber.  This can be considered "sonic supercharging".  All forms of "pipes" have been developed to either maximize peak horsepower or spread the power band for rideabilty.  As the ports, both intake and exhaust are in the cylinder walls, the location (distance from TDC or BDC) and the chamber design have significant impact on how the engine develops power.  The RD and H1/H2 guys have a better grasp, but , port height and chamber design are akin to  lift and duration for a 4 stroke cam to be brutally simple.

Not an unreasonable explanation. The right expansion chamber makes a big difference in 2 stroke power and efficiency but tends to make it noisier. Several years ago, I did some research with an engine developer on a small spark ignited diesel (yes) 2 stroke to power small, 40-45 pound UAVs to replace a gas powered 4 stroke. Choice was low noise or higher power/efficiency.  About a 15% increase with a somewhat large tuned expansion chamber at the price of doubling the noise. 

11 hours ago, warbird said:

To be that cogent, you are obviously a trained professional, on a closed course!  Do not try this at home!

4 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Not an unreasonable explanation. The right expansion chamber makes a big difference in 2 stroke power and efficiency but tends to make it noisier. Several years ago, I did some research with an engine developer on a small spark ignited diesel (yes) 2 stroke to power small, 40-45 pound UAVs to replace a gas powered 4 stroke. Choice was low noise or higher power/efficiency.  About a 15% increase with a somewhat large tuned expansion chamber at the price of doubling the noise. 

Most aftermarket expansion chambers are intended to improve performance and usually for off road use.  The RD and H1/H2 market had some pretty good streetably quiet offerings.  Really just a question of how big a silencer you want to hang on the end of the stinger. IIRC the rpm range of common 2 strokes, say 10,000 rpm, the maths on the exhaust pulses would require a 10 or 12 foot expansion chamber, but given motorcycle space constraints the designers use half wave or quarter wave chamber lengths. IIRC

image.jpeg.7c2df9c885b161a91d0cbf662e211fbc.jpegSee the source image

3 hours ago, warbird said:

Most aftermarket expansion chambers are intended to improve performance and usually for off road use.  The RD and H1/H2 market had some pretty good streetably quiet offerings.  Really just a question of how big a silencer you want to hang on the end of the stinger. IIRC the rpm range of common 2 strokes, say 10,000 rpm, the maths on the exhaust pulses would require a 10 or 12 foot expansion chamber, but given motorcycle space constraints the designers use half wave or quarter wave chamber lengths. IIRC

image.jpeg.7c2df9c885b161a91d0cbf662e211fbc.jpeg

I put Bassani pipes and Boysen reeds on my RD 350... along with Ohlins rear shocks to get as close the the RZ350 as possible...  Ended up selling the bike so I could keep my license

• Like 1

Taken right now.....Edmonds ferry landing at about my 7, Point - no - Point across the way on the left, south end of Whidbey Island on the right.

Big tide washing machine out in the middle and the wind is hooting pretty good.

38086.jpeg

56 minutes ago, hobot said:

unnamed.jpg

Commander Flatley (later Admiral Flatley like his dad) and crew, doing take-offs and landings on USS Forrestal in 1963 with a C-130.  No catapult, no hook. And he'd never flown a 4-engined aircraft before.

Outrageous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM5AI3YSV3M

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, in_TO said:

Fake

Just like he is.

24 minutes ago, in_TO said:

Fake

768FC97E-C0AE-424C-BD47-BA69455ADE45.jpeg

And now for a little humor...

image.thumb.png.9ce442c210db64ea02de06006594487e.png

• Like 5

19 hours ago, nacradriver said:

I put Bassani pipes and Boysen reeds on my RD 350... along with Ohlins rear shocks to get as close the the RZ350 as possible...  Ended up selling the bike so I could keep my license

Toomies and a fox on my RZ :-).  Yeah, wish I still had it.

4 hours ago, bridhb said:

First bike was a Yamaha 175 Enduro modded with a reed valve, ported and polished cylinder, expansion chamber, Ceriani forks and shocks and a shaved head for higher compression.  Sweet ride on the forest trails and sand pits nearby.  And street legal as well.  After that was an RD 350, and a friends BMW R75/6.

4 hours ago, bridhb said:

I am before the magistrate after getting a few speeding tickets on the 350....  He looks at me, looks at the file, look at me, looks at the file, and look at me again and says; "if you want to keep your license sell the bike and bring me the bill of sale before the end of the month..."

I swapped it for a Husky Mikkola replica and a few bucks...

6 minutes ago, billy backstay said:

First bike was a Yamaha 175 Enduro modded with a reed valve, ported and polished cylinder, expansion chamber, Ceriani forks and shocks and a shaved head for higher compression.  Sweet ride on the forest trails and sand pits nearby.  And street legal as well.  After that was an RD 350, and a friends BMW R75/6.

Sound like a pretty tricked out scooter...  Loved the Yamaha IT 200.  Bought one and kept it at a friends house in PA for something to ride when I would go back and visit.

5 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

Sound like a pretty tricked out scooter...  Loved the Yamaha IT 200.  Bought one and kept it at a friends house in PA for something to ride when I would go back and visit.

It was!! The guy who built it was the managing mechanic at the Foreign Car repair shop, where I worked after high school, and he was a wizard with engine mods.  But I spent more time working on the owners PT 30, Hull #1, that we modded with a flush Gougeon deck and taller rig.   Sailed above our rating pretty regularly....

Random.......pictures.

9f3ee87e6c92f107b19681a7e0604631.jpg

mayans-ancient-alien-gods-e1550692363244-768x432.jpg

FB_IMG_1603536216562.jpg

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Random.......pictures.

9f3ee87e6c92f107b19681a7e0604631.jpg

FB_IMG_1603536216562.jpg

17 minutes ago, hobot said:

4ce62c4c9aa0032bf0afc842e4bdda76.png

You a nailing it for "Random",  thanks

11 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1603572889141.jpg

You have to think about it a minute before you laugh out loud. Take it to 'Jokes" page:lol:

11 minutes ago, warbird said:

You have to think about it a minute before you laugh out loud. Take it to 'Jokes" page:lol:

Here’s the letter that was written to the Browns.  

EB72D8B3-1D1F-4153-B0EF-338E5222AFB2.jpeg

• Like 2