Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

Random PicThread officially now at 40,000 replies.

Holy cow!

FB_IMG_1606171234343.jpg

FB_IMG_1606162557299.jpg

FB_IMG_1606163094956.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hobot said:

Random PicThread officially now at 40,000 replies.

Holy cow!

FB_IMG_1606171234343.jpg

FB_IMG_1606162557299.jpg

FB_IMG_1606163094956.jpg

The scary thing is that you're one server glitch away from it all disappearing forever...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IStream said:

The scary thing is that you're one server glitch away from it all disappearing forever...

Hush 'yo mouth!

:lol: ;)

13 minutes ago, hobot said:

Holy cow!

FB_IMG_1606171234343.jpg

I grante you she ist ampelle, butte woudente uddere the  'c worde'.                                    :)

9 minutes ago, IStream said:

nahhh, I bet the top picks have been backed up to a lot of hard drives by dutiful viewers of this majestic thread .... so no, not all.... 

8 hours ago, Morgan Crewed said:

Yes, altitude does make a difference, as well as temp.  Take a look at the attached table.  At sea level and STP, Mach 1 is 761.1 mph.  At 30,000 feet Mach 1 is 678.1 mph.  And at 60,000 feet Mach 1 is 659.8 mph.  The change is not straight line.  So, at 100,000 feet Mach 1 would be about 655 mph. 

Now to Joe Kittinger.  Per Wiki: “On August 16, 1960, Kittinger made the final high-altitude jump at 102,800 feet. Towing a small drogue parachute for initial stabilization, he fell for 4 minutes and 36 seconds, reaching a maximum speed of 614 miles per hour…” 

Fabulous, record-setting achievement, but I don’t see him breaking the sound barrier.

Speed of Sound.JPG

Speed of sound in air is almost entirely temperature related. 

where you get in trouble at altitude is the difference between TAS and IAS (CAS left out for simplicity for you pilots). True air speed is actual speed through the median. Indicated Air Speed is measure by mass flow of the air. At the lower pressures at altitude, it requires a higher true air speed to register a given indicated air speed. It’s mass flow or IAS (molecules of air passing over the airfoil) that generates lift and are subject to the compressibility effect of passing through the “sound barrier”. 

Comes into play for subsonic aircraft operating at very high altitudes. U-2 maximum altitude is limited to the point where the critical Mach number (point where the flow over the airfoil exceeds the speed of sound at that temp) reduces to the point where the IAS is at the stall speed of the airfoil. Called Coffin Corner. Data available says that the difference between stall and Vne at 70,000’ is 10 knots.  Implies the >80,000 advertised ceiling isn’t much greater. 

at standard temps and pressures, Mach 1 at 70,000’ is roughly 128 knots indicated. So a human body at terminal velocity head down and stable is about Mach 1.3. 

2 hours ago, Innocent Bystander said:

Speed of sound in air is almost entirely temperature related. 

where you get in trouble at altitude is the difference between TAS and IAS (CAS left out for simplicity for you pilots). True air speed is actual speed through the median. Indicated Air Speed is measure by mass flow of the air. At the lower pressures at altitude, it requires a higher true air speed to register a given indicated air speed. It’s mass flow or IAS (molecules of air passing over the airfoil) that generates lift and are subject to the compressibility effect of passing through the “sound barrier”. 

Comes into play for subsonic aircraft operating at very high altitudes. U-2 maximum altitude is limited to the point where the critical Mach number (point where the flow over the airfoil exceeds the speed of sound at that temp) reduces to the point where the IAS is at the stall speed of the airfoil. Called Coffin Corner. Data available says that the difference between stall and Vne at 70,000’ is 10 knots.  Implies the >80,000 advertised ceiling isn’t much greater. 

at standard temps and pressures, Mach 1 at 70,000’ is roughly 128 knots indicated. So a human body at terminal velocity head down and stable is about Mach 1.3. 

My #39930 post  considered this but is not really worth contentious discussion.  Let us just admire "102000 feet of freefall":D

2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606162481871.jpg

Hunting the giant, wild Rainier.

20 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606190455203.jpg

Toss up between that and my MIL's automatic Chevette for "Most Horrible Car I Ever Experienced".

They both made a Trabant appealing - it at least had some sort of campy absurdity appeal.

I like them! Upgrade to radial tires and new disc brakes on all four corners...

:rolleyes:

FB_IMG_1605977609748.jpg

FB_IMG_1606117922327.jpg

FB_IMG_1606190184349.jpg

8 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1605935966332.jpg

Good friend is restoring one right now.  His last project is a very nice Supra.

10 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606190679183.jpg

My tablet won't let me Google image search anymore.

What is the context of this image? 

3 minutes ago, bmiller said:

About 339 results (1.57 seconds) 

2TjdL8pSsA6r5UIO1MFyM2RS9KVBmiZdWSTGBLf9
Image size:
1000 × 663
Find other sizes of this image:
All sizes - Small - Medium - Large
Possible related search: old photo landscape

Search Results

Web results

34 minutes ago, bmiller said:

I am going to say the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bmiller said:

A man sits in a wooden boat with a mast on the edge of the Colorado River in the Black Canyon, Mojave County, Arizona. At this time, photographer Timothy O'Sullivan was working as a military photographer, for Lt. George Montague Wheeler's U.S. Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian. Photo taken in 1871, from expedition camp 8, looking upstream.

Dang, you'all are getting good with the obscure.

:ph34r:

38 minutes ago, nacradriver said:

I am going to say the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon...

36 minutes ago, Black Sox said:

A man sits in a wooden boat with a mast on the edge of the Colorado River in the Black Canyon, Mojave County, Arizona. At this time, photographer Timothy O'Sullivan was working as a military photographer, for Lt. George Montague Wheeler's U.S. Geographical Surveys West of the One Hundredth Meridian. Photo taken in 1871, from expedition camp 8, looking upstream.

That's just what I thought it was, somewhere on a big western river, most likely the Colorado. I was wondering if it was somewhere I've floated.

12 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

Toss up between that and my MIL's automatic Chevette for "Most Horrible Car I Ever Experienced".

They both made a Trabant appealing - it at least had some sort of campy absurdity appeal.

My neighbor put leopard skin contact paper on the side of his to keep the rust in place. Ugliest car I every seen.

On 11/22/2020 at 10:01 PM, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1605978598424.jpg

FB_IMG_1605994113558.jpg

FB_IMG_1605980022020.jpg

Beautiful bike.

My two buddies and I bought a '48 Chief in pieces, this was in high school, mid '60s.  Put it together and painted it black. Three-inch bore, 4-inch stroke, it was like a diesel at low speeds.  Treadle clutch (aka "suicide clutch") on the left.  Tank shifter on the right, you can see it in the photo right under the handlebars.  Which handlebars had left-hand throttle, right hand spark.

13 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1605147787099.jpg

Must be built by Apple.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, justsomeguy! said:

Looks to be. Wonder why they didn't put it in the center console? :ph34r:

And where's the ash tray?

Beside the mobile phone holder?

OMFG this made me laugh.

FB_IMG_1605148280702.jpg

12 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Never seen one of these..I want! I even love the colour.

tumblr_97cb26cd2d954a932fe7e7eedfeb2969_3cfb9e65_1280.jpg

My Scoutmaster had one of those.

I recall it was a pretty shitty truck - but that was 55 years ago so...

10 hours ago, hobot said:

7150c1d3b10aa37ac57d39e4a8933018.jpg

Only part way down the assembly line and the #@%& hideaway headlight isn't working.

Those things were so cool back then but I'm sure glad they're gone.

On 11/18/2020 at 1:31 AM, hobot said:

lana-clarkson-murder.jpg

Well that picture dredges up a memory!

So at 0200 the alarm bell goes off for the Rescue. “Engine 32 and Rescue 6, shooting 123 Park Place, Sheriffs enroute.” The engine we were stationed with was on a dumpster fire or some such thing and since the call was very near the station we would be arriving well before the second due engine. We pulled up and the house was dark with no one around. No law enforcement had arrived yet so we decided to approach the front door cautiously and see what presented itself. I was carrying the drug box and portable ECG and my partner had the trauma box, the resuscitator and coronary radio (the infamous “orange box”). The single wide front door was standing open and the glass sidelight was shattered with the glass debris laying strewn on the entry way carpet. The inside of the house was dark. “Hello……….Fire Department” I shouted leaning into the open door. “Here to help” I shouted. Nothing but absolute eerie silence. Puzzled and wondering who called in the shooting on 911 that now was nowhere around, we looked at each other, shrugged in that way that partners develop a certain unspoken language that meant “lets go”.

Stepping carefully inside and shouting “Hello, Fire Department” again we moved out of the entry way and saw in the darkness, the living room straight ahead and a long hallway off to the left. A light from a bathroom at the end of the intersecting hallway spilled out illuminating just the very end. There at the end of the hallway was a middle aged male lying face down and slightly on one side head toward us not moving. “Hello” I shouted with no response. A quick glance back and my partner nodded and down the hallway we went. As I came up to the person I could see plenty of blood on the carpet which was mostly fresh bright red blood without the skinned over dark color that develops on old blood. The hallway made a right turn where the person was lying, legs partly spread, with a completely dark room off to the left and the light from the bathroom further down to the right slightly shining into the end of the hallway where we were. A quick glance told me the person was breathing but was not conscious. Also obvious was a handgun laying on the floor between the patients legs at the ankles. As I knelt down on both knees and put down my equipment I turned to my partner behind me and said “the guy is unconscious and I’m not sure where he is hit yet but a gun is on the ground between his legs. Better advise the base we’re gonna be bringing a gunshot for the trauma team and then help me get him rolled to his back”. My partner nodded and put down his equipment and opened the radio to make base hospital contact. I turned back and grabbed the patients shoulders to roll him and suddenly noticed the handgun was now no longer there. Stunned for a moment and processing the situation I said quietly to my partner “the gun….its gone”. Then we heard a noise like someone bumping into a piece of furniture in the dark room to the left. He looked at me and said quietly “we need to leave”. We stood up and leaving our equipment slowly backed halfway down the hallway toward the door, making it halfway we turned and scampered to the door.

Reaching the door we met the first two sheriffs coming in with guns drawn. “One down in the hallway” we said nodding in that direction, “AND there was a gun next to him which when we were not looking disappeared and then we heard a noise in the bedroom to the left”. The sheriffs nodded and we went past them out the front door to wait. A few minutes later a sheriff came out and said the scene was secure and the gun was grabbed by the wife from the darkened bedroom in order to “get it out of the way” and then she had stepped back into the bedroom to be out of the way. He said “the bad guys are gone.” We looked at each other and headed back in to treat the patient. The rest was a typical gunshot, the engine arrived, we started a couple IV’s, patched a sucking chest wound and loaded him into the ambulance. The trauma team was there and took over. As we were moving the patient over onto the trauma bed from our gurney we had one more surprise to experience. So when the trauma team is all already to rock, you wheel the patient into the trauma room and it's filled with people and equipment. Xray tech with the portable Xray, lab techs for blood draw, respiratory therapists ready to ventilate the patient if the Doc intubates the patient (unless we did that in the field), a couple nurses, a scribe, an ER tech or two and the trauma doc and ER Doc. As we are moving the patient over the lab tech comes over to get positioned to draw blood, looks at the patient, drops her tray and screams “OH MY GOD THATS MY FATHER!!!” and drops to the floor of the trauma room. A couple of the ER nurses come in and help her up sobbing and get her out of the room. My partner and I finish the report to the Doc, grab our gear and head out to the ambulance which looks like a blood bomb went off inside. After about 30 minutes, we went back in to check on progress after we got things cleaned up and mopped out the back of the ambulance. Typical poor outcome despite everyones efforts.

So when I saw the picture of the gun on the floor……………I thought of that call.

• Like 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

its probably still a pretty shitty truck LOL 

cool, but shitty nonetheless

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hobot said:

Damn PB, that's some unnerving stuff.

Damn right. And PB's book is gonna be great.

• Like 1

That pic is of Lana Clarkson, Phil Spector's victim. It's not a to comfortable picture to view but I post pictures like that because there's a story/rabbit hole behind it.

I apologize if they trigger bad memories to anyone.

2 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606328764488.jpg

A few changes over the years.

Redondo Beach Coast Photograph by PB Aerial Photography

15 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606297811511.jpg

Unflattering view of one of the best of the Space Age bubble top customs.

Here's a better angle.

One of the first Hot Wheels.

cbb8c8d17cc5929b9689cf00eeb3d1bf.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:
14 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

Never seen one of these..I want! I even love the colour.

tumblr_97cb26cd2d954a932fe7e7eedfeb2969_3cfb9e65_1280.jpg

A frende hasse oune, onley ussed to toate toolles and steelle aronde hisse plante.  Fire engine redd and lookes brandey niew, he loves it ...........           :)

• Like 1