Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

32 minutes ago, hobot said:

126272288_5095318250486303_2190714946192143138_o-1024x960.jpg

Seemes so muche moire sereene then when Mav sayes " Gonig verticalle""                                                  :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

WTF is social delima?

I think it’s a misspelling of social delamination, which is what happens when the veneers of civilisation peel away.

17 minutes ago, Black Sox said:
10 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

WTF is social delima?

I think it’s a misspelling of social delamination, which is what happens when the veneers of civilisation peel away.

Notheng wourse then a non-laminarre societey............                       :)

12 hours ago, tybee said:

my 64 beetle convertible (body by karmann, last of the wolf's heads, first year with a gas gauge), the 69 beetle and the 75 superbeetle convertible all had the battery under the right  rear seat.  only issue i ever had with the battery was when the '64 right rear floor panel rotted out and dropped the battery on a dirt road, piled up a bunch of leaves around the terminals as i dragged it down the road and started a fire. an interesting day. 

beetle survived about 4 more years until 85 camaro ran through it with me in it.  shoved the engine and tranny forward about a foot.  i broke a wooden roof spar with my head.  i'd still have it other than that minor issue.  to this day the wife is still pissed about it even though it wasn't my fault.

12 hours ago, longy said:

Battery acid would fume out of the battery & eat thru the floor under the battery. All the old Bugs I knew had plywood covering a large hole.

I think the fumes and ensuing rust weakened the seat springs or support in my case.  The inner spring of the seat shorted on the +/- terminals.. Not a surprise really because that old sunroof bug was already rusty enough that the passenger door had to be bolted shut.  Imagine the evacuation plan of 5 or 6 slightly high, slightly drunk highschool males all try to exit the drivers door:lol:

11 hours ago, astro said:

What?  Do you want me to say "Oh my, she looks young for her age!?"

Every word you type just proves my point.

It's simple, but you don't get it.  The programing is strong with this one.

Yeah - she and Musk and an 80 year old friend of my family don't look like beautiful old women, they just look "young for their age"

With every post you reconfirm that you're an uncomprehending moron.

6 hours ago, hobot said:

MV5BZGIwNDYxNjQtYjFkZi00Y2Y3LTk5NDItNjY2MjIzNDQzZDRjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg

That movie was hilarious

The staff of the old folks home rolling the oldsters out in their wheel chairs for the racers to run over.

Stallone backing over his pit crew at the end of his last pit stop.

:lol: Great black slapstick.

2 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

That movie was hilarious

The staff of the old folks home rolling the oldsters out in their wheel chairs for the racers to run over.

Stallone backing over his pit crew at the end of his last pit stop.

:lol: Great black slapstick.

didn't someone also run the staff over?

12 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606726288104.jpg

Only two things smell like fish.  One of them is fish.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1605915720868.jpg

Bowl of pea soup and "The Marylin.." on Wednesdays..  Brooklyn Ave any other day of the week...  Dam you Hobot... now I have to make a run there for lunch.  :lol:

2 hours ago, hobot said:

B-NAbb1CYAAXVUH.jpg

FB_IMG_1606674484137.jpg

air-florida-flight-90-rescue-1982.jpg

though almost 40 years ago, I never forgot that crash.

There were many hard working stiffs on the bridge leaving DC early due to the snow storm.  Just sitting there in endless stop and go traffic wondering how long it would take to get home when that 737 fell out of the low clouds snowing on them and flattened them into the 14th street Bridge. Never saw it coming and never had a chance to react.

Didn't matter if they never smoked, drank, drove fast or ate poorly.

Sometimes it is just your time.  So enjoy life and do not put things off because there is no guarantee you will make to the point in the future where you will do those things.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1605783800553.jpg

Ahh  the PDP-8

In many ways, the originator of the Internet.  Was used as the linkage to many DoD mainframes so they could talk a common language (eg translator modules) Allowed  IBM mainframes to talk to Honeywell mainframes,  to Sperry Univac mainframes, and Boroughs mainframes.

This was  the foundation for the ARAPANET which became the Internet.  In fact as us old timers remember, the internet addresses were limited to 4 sets of subaddresses with a major address of 1-16..  DEC owned  address 16.*.*.*

Was also the platform AT&T used to build telephone switches on. When you dialed interstate on your land line, it was likely switched via one of these.   And from Bell Labs in NJ, UNIX was created on these machines.

And finally, it spawned the 16 bit PDP-11 family and then the 32 bit VAX/VMS family.   Long before the Internet or even electronic bulletin boards running connections at 9600 baud, DIGITAL had electronic forums internally to refine the technology (aka eat our own dog food).  Though most were technical, one of the most popular was SAILING as many of us had boats since in those days IT paid well and you didn't have to work weekends.  This application was spun off and became Lotus notes which started groupware.

So this machine was the start of many of the technologies that are the foundation you are using to read this thread right now.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Foreverslow said:
1 hour ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1605783800553.jpg

Ahh  the PDP-8

In many ways, the originator of the Internet.  Was used as the linkage to many DoD mainframes so they could talk a common language (eg translator modules) Allowed  IBM mainframes to talk to Honeywell mainframes,  to Sperry Univac mainframes, and Boroughs mainframes.

This was  the foundation for the ARAPANET which became the Internet.  In fact as us old timers remember, the internet addresses were limited to 4 sets of subaddresses with a major address of 1-16..  DEC owned  address 16.*.*.*

Was also the platform AT&T used to build telephone switches on. When you dialed interstate on your land line, it was likely switched via one of these.   And from Bell Labs in NJ, UNIX was created on these machines.

And finally, it spawned the 16 bit PDP-11 family and then the 32 bit VAX/VMS family.   Long before the Internet or even electronic bulletin boards running connections at 9600 baud, DIGITAL had electronic forums internally to refine the technology (aka eat our own dog food).  Though most were technical, one of the most popular was SAILING as many of us had boats since in those days IT paid well and you didn't have to work weekends.  This application was spun off and became Lotus notes which started groupware.

So this machine was the start of many of the technologies that are the foundation you are using to read this thread right now.

Source of many log nights in my senior level "Advanced Programming" course in 1975.  Had to write an assembler for that puppy. In those days, we were still dropping off stacks of Fortran  punch cards at the data center for overnight processing so we could receive the "fata error" the next morning just prior to class.  

• Like 1

My first experience with computers was as a student writing FORTRAN code on punch cards.  I hated everything about that and swore off software development forever.    

There are people who like writing code and are good at writing code.  I am happy to let them do their jobs.  

• Like 2

You know.......this thread constantly reminds me what a really bright folks here.....seriously. I enjoy the comments as much as the pictures.

Carry on.....

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Point Break said:

You know.......this thread constantly reminds me what a really bright folks here.....seriously. I enjoy the comments as much as the pictures.

Carry on.....

There's words/comments here?  There should be a rule always post a picture/video with a post:

Any body is beautiful - Tumblr Blog Gallery

16 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1605759079994.jpg

I guess for the few years they played there, lefties sat on the bench.  250' down the left field line!

6 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606819447798.jpg

That incident was what drove Garlits to perfect the mid engine dragster.

His clutch exploded, cutting the car in 1/2 and taking part of his foot off.

4 hours ago, Bugsy said:

My first experience with computers was as a student writing FORTRAN code on punch cards.  I hated everything about that and swore off software development forever.    

There are people who like writing code and are good at writing code.  I am happy to let them do their jobs.  

#metoo.

When I was at IBM I started in Data Control - fixing JCL for commercial jobs. Hated it and was lousy at it. Coding in COBOL was an even worse fate.

I got into the machine room as fast as I could.

The hot programmers could think in COBOL, FORTRAN and PL1. Had to respect them.

48 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

You mean the rear engine dragster.

1 hour ago, SloopJonB said:

52 minutes ago, The Big D said:

While the engine IS behind the driver, it is still infront of the rear axle and thus termed a "mid engine" design.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, warbird said:

While the engine IS behind the driver, it is still infront of the rear axle and thus termed a "mid engine" design.

Kinda like Yawl versus Ketch.....?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606849774366.jpg

The flag is upside down.  

2 hours ago, The Big D said:

It's behind the driver but in front of the rear axle so it's mid-engine.

Porsches, Corvairs and VW Beetles are rear engine.

Edit: Wardodo beat me to it.

• Like 1

I think I prefer my unofficial haircut.

I'm a rebel that way.

Curiously, BITD of those styles, my barber actually was named Floyd.

35 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm a rebel that way.

Was he pink?

1 hour ago, Bugsy said:

The flag is upside down.  

Plus, those are Argentine Soldiers.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

#metoo.

When I was at IBM I started in Data Control - fixing JCL for commercial jobs. Hated it and was lousy at it. Coding in COBOL was an even worse fate.

I got into the machine room as fast as I could.

The hot programmers could think in COBOL, FORTRAN and PL1. Had to respect them.

I got an email at work about 10 years ago (long after leaving software engineering for teaching high school) asking if I knew anyone who was willing to work as a COBOL programmer.  Starting salary was 100K/year.  

I put out feelers to everyone that I knew that was still in the business.  Crickets.

I remember the legions of mainframe JCL programmers at the European airline I worked at installing systems we built.  We had much more sophisticated software running on our "little" minicomputers than anything they were doing, and had just a small development team.  

Mind you, at that point in time they were grabbing people off the street and making them into programmers  - no comp sci degree required.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Plus, those are Argentine Soldiers.

Well, if those guys are in Argentina, aren't they technically and very courteously holding the flag right side up?

• Like 1

Fuck me to tears but whomever is reworking these Hoppers is an evil genius!

FB_IMG_1606818895661.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

I'm a rebel that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rain Man said:

I got an email at work about 10 years ago (long after leaving software engineering for teaching high school) asking if I knew anyone who was willing to work as a COBOL programmer.  Starting salary was 100K/year.  I put out feelers to everyone that I knew that was still in the business.  Crickets.

Much of California's Franchise Tax Board is still running on COBOL.  I'm serious.

When I got out a few years ago the Canadian banking system was running on COBOL.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it still was. Even back then the cost of changing just a single major system for one bank was well into 9 figures.

• Like 1