Poco A Poco

Random PicThread

19 hours ago, SloopJonB said:

It's behind the driver but in front of the rear axle so it's mid-engine.

Porsches, Corvairs and VW Beetles are rear engine.

Edit: Wardodo beat me to it.

Although it boils down to some pretty silly semantics, the boys at NHRA don't seem to agree. I was there to witness that Garlits accident and and although I wasn't a huge drag fan I remember what they called the new configuration back then. I agree,  in terms of sports and track cars, it would be a mid engine. I think their problem was the AA Fuel dragster engines were in the front to back middle of the car in the original configuration.

https://www.nhra.com/news/2015/front-back-rear-engine-transition

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hobot said:

1606855593952_1606855507664_123707546_3454731524592839_4965704104670697243_n.jpg

Ho Ree Phuck.

I attended a couple of years of jr college across the street from that place.  Wifey used to live about 1/2 mile from there in the direction the picture is looking.

Great burgers and shakes.  

I believe it closed in the early 2000's, I don't live in the area any longer. 

Wifey just pointed out this is a Merles in Newport Beach not Visalia Ca.

In my best Hobot voice, Please Ignore.

11 hours ago, hobot said:

1606893460504_416_1000.jpg

Another top contestant for the Top of the Page Girl...  well done sir, well done...

41 minutes ago, pbd said:

Ho Ree Phuck.

I attended a couple of years of jr college across the street from that place.  Wifey used to live about 1/2 mile from there in the direction the picture is looking.

College of the Sequoias...  bought my first house in Visalia and lasted three years...  glad to get out of there.. the heat and the Tule Fog did me in..

16 hours ago, BobJ said:

Much of California's Franchise Tax Board is still running on COBOL.  I'm serious.

The DMV and Smog certification system was similar until recently...  And we have the greatest programing brain trust in the world.

29 minutes ago, hobot said:

i86q0xzvmgc41.png

This happened at Boston's Logan Airport. Initially it was thought everyone on board survived. It took a few days to realize that there were two missing, and never found, passengers.

https://www.nytimes.com/1984/02/10/us/relative-of-2-victims-in-air-crash-still-angry.html

4 hours ago, pbd said:

Ho Ree Phuck.

College of the Sequoias?

4 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Another top contestant for the Top of the Page Girl...  well done sir, well done...

College of the Sequoias...  bought my first house in Visalia and lasted three years...  glad to get out of there.. the heat and the Tule Fog did me in..

Same here,  Tule fog wasn't so bad for me but a slot on a Carrier came along so I took it.

25315714474_e4a95de749_o.jpg

Woof!   Uff Da!   Wow! I don't even know what car this is, I just wish I had the talent to put those colors together. Love it!

My eyes are going hyperglycemic!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Willin' said:

Tacke thet pache offe, it mabey helpes you..............                :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willin' said:

25315714474_e4a95de749_o.jpg

Woof!   Uff Da!   Wow! I don't even know what car this is, I just wish I had the talent to put those colors together. Love it!

Pegaso - Spanish exotic from BITD

Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este 2015

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hobot said:

123117806_650554412281879_7675894772186218632_n.jpg

Nice to see children relaxing and playing after a hard day’s chimney sweeping..... The good old days of unrestricted capitalism.

MCGA!

42 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

Pegaso - Spanish exotic from BITD

Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este 2015

Thanks SJB!

Learning new shit is awesome...

2.-DSC_4898-1024x683.jpg

2 hours ago, warbird said:

Same here,  Tule fog wasn't so bad for me but a slot on a Carrier came along so I took it.

Forced me into an instrument rating..  I went kicking and screaming, and still couldn't fly sometimes.. 

NAS Lamoore?  Don't blame ya....  My brother was stationed there from 79 to 81...  one bright spot was Harris Ranch...  the Commodore steak...  porterhouse.. the 30 oz one...  I don't think they have that anymore.

I use to love buzzing all the little private airports in the area.

On 11/4/2010 at 9:30 AM, Poco A Poco said:

Name this person

hobie.jpg

Hobie Alter carrying styrofoam blanks

8 minutes ago, hobot said:

Did you just take it up a notch, WOW!  Form the last couple of Top of the Page to some current humor.  Hobot, way to go!!!

1 hour ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606938085747.jpg

Absolute classic. Lee Emerick (SP ?) fucking nailed it....  I am guessing "make up and wardrobe" didn't have a lot of work to do with him.  Nice "Rifle Expert" hanging below his ribbons:lol:

1 hour ago, hobot said:

2 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Forced me into an instrument rating..  I went kicking and screaming, and still couldn't fly sometimes.. 

NAS Lamoore?  Don't blame ya....  My brother was stationed there from 79 to 81...  one bright spot was Harris Ranch...  the Commodore steak...  porterhouse.. the 30 oz one...  I don't think they have that anymore.

I use to love buzzing all the little private airports in the area.

I had forgotten about Harris Ranch.  I dined there twice IIRC.  I had a competant sport bike and the Sierras called many weekends. The F/A 18 was new and we were the lead team on the Radar Test Set. Most of us Hughes and MacAir Reps bought houses in Visalia and had weekend bashes.  The enlisted we were training/mentoring were a sharp fun bunch.  My backyard featured a 5/8 size volley ball court (we all played the net anyway) and a 60x18 pool.

1 hour ago, hobot said:

1606855615557_tustin_ca_undated_goodyear_52889532b63dcf618e449c3e76e3b682ce40b189.jpg

This hanger has been posted a bunch of times.  I am thinking that most of my friends houses could be built in this hanger and we could still have room for lawn and gardens.

2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606936677639.jpg

Well, don't ever let the automobile be your guiding principle of design

1 hour ago, Rasputin22 said:

More likely balsa planks for the early boards.

I started to write balsa, but decided to switch to styrofoam, since I'd never seen balsa that large.  But styrofoam usually comes in sheets.  

The biggest balsa lumber I could find:  

th.jpeg

So, I dunno.  But it's Hobie.

2 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606937437348.jpg

That's a big ass turbo.  :D

6 hours ago, Left Shift said:

Free-range parenting.

Rubbish.

5 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606937437348.jpg

How did they cook the mollusc that lived in that thing?

I’d say many, many garlics were involved, and much heat.

And beer.

7 hours ago, TANGO QUEBEC said:

FB_IMG_1606875328982.jpg

Honey Badger gives no Fucks...these are getting better!

b70cce02cbbfa12fbf7ea7e6dcef03d9.jpg

Interesting rabbit hole.  The scene was familiar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, warbird said:

Absolute classic. Lee Emerick (SP ?) fucking nailed it....  I am guessing "make up and wardrobe" didn't have a lot of work to do with him.  Nice "Rifle Expert" hanging below his ribbons:lol:

R Lee Ermey.  Also in Firebase Gloria.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, warbird said:

This hanger has been posted a bunch of times.  I am thinking that most of my friends houses could be built in this hanger and we could still have room for lawn and gardens.

Yup. And there are two of them. 

Too bad it's all just $$$ for TheIrvineCompany now...

22 hours ago, nacradriver said:

Spent my formative years in the area.  Was an OK place to grow up.  Lot's of open space, hunting and small town feel.  After my first 2 months going to school in So Cal I went home for Thanksgiving and decided then and there I was never coming back to the San Joaquin Valley to live.  Too much to do in the big city.

Parents are still in the area.  With the dryer conditions the state has experienced over the years there isn't nearly as much fog.  But the heat is still there in spades. 

image.png.b04b478c146f32094b7331c8cef6300a.png

12 hours ago, Left Shift said:

I started to write balsa, but decided to switch to styrofoam, since I'd never seen balsa that large.  But styrofoam usually comes in sheets.  

The biggest balsa lumber I could find:  

th.jpeg

So, I dunno.  But it's Hobie.

Big Balsa!

20 hours ago, Monkey Butler said:

MICHAEL MCKINNELL, ARCHITECT BEHING BOSTON'S BRUTALIST CITY HALL, DIES FROM COVID-19

https://www.metalocus.es/en/news/michael-mckinnell-architect-behing-bostons-brutalist-city-hall-dies-covid-19

Boston City Hall by Kallmann, McKinnell and Knowles, 1969. Photgraph by Ezra Stoller/Esto

A classic example of "Form follows form".  We loved that thing during architecture school...then went and visited it.  Yikes...all it lacked were mounting points for the cauldrons of boiling oil along the parapet.

Not exactly an exemplar of how to present an image of democratic governance. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606937812063.jpg

I never had much or any admiration for that sort of dare devilry

The craziest guy I ever knew wanted to try hang gliding in the early days of it so he just bought one and jumped off a cliff much like that.

He survived until he was in his 40's when he killed himself and his wife in a one car accident near Whistler leaving his little kids alive in the back seat.

No-one who knew him was surprised. The most common reaction was surprise that it hadn't happened long since. 

14 hours ago, warbird said:
16 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606938085747.jpg

I've watched that movie 3 or 4 times.

I've watched the first 1/2 15 or 20 times.

I love the story of how his line about the Goddamn common courtesy of a reach-around had to be explained to Kubrick.

When he beat the grin off of D'Nofrio's face I had the thought that he'd have to beat me to death to stop me laughing at his patter.

My kind of psychiatrist.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Left Shift said:
16 hours ago, hobot said:

FB_IMG_1606936677639.jpg

Well, don't ever let the automobile be your guiding principle of design

I was thinking silicon chip

54 minutes ago, SloopJonB said:

I never had much or any admiration for that sort of dare devilry

The craziest guy I ever knew wanted to try hang gliding in the early days of it so he just bought one and jumped off a cliff much like that.

He survived until he was in his 40's when he killed himself and his wife in a one car accident near Whistler leaving his little kids alive in the back seat.

No-one who knew him was surprised. The most common reaction was surprise that it hadn't happened long since. 

Not surprising at all if that happened pre-Olympics.  Back in the day, the road up to Whistler - pre-Blackcomb - was just a tad risky with wrongly banked turns, no guard rails and blind corners.  It did not reward speeding.

13 minutes ago, Left Shift said:

Not surprising at all if that happened pre-Olympics.  Back in the day, the road up to Whistler - pre-Blackcomb - was just a tad risky with wrongly banked turns, no guard rails and blind corners.  It did not reward speeding.

The guys name wasn't Suicide Clint was it?

28 minutes ago, Marcjsmith said:

looks like a typical mall in the us of a

Fashion Island, Newport Beach CA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hobot said:

Fashion Island, Newport Beach CA.

I saw that straightaway. By the time I'd moved there in 1976 the mall had already been surrounded by high rise office buildings, a Marriott hotel (where my GF worked and we got special service at the $7 all you can eat, endless champagne glass Sunday buffet) and a business park. The nearby San Joaquin Hills were still grazing cattle and a few buffalo then.

If this is paradise
I wish I had a lawnmower
You've got it, you've got it

18 hours ago, warbird said:

Cracks me up. Reminds me of boot camp and while providing lectures on various subjects our DI would walk around the center of the bunk room where there was one long row of tables and against the outside wall on both sides were the bunks with the feet pointing toward the center tables. Bunks were doubles - an upper and lower. So the DI would walk around the circle between the bunks and the tables while lecturing us about this or that. Often our response was inadequate and we'd have to jump out of the bunks and stand at attention at the end of the bunks to be further lectured. One night quite late we were in our racks and the DI was at the light switch. He finished his lecture on teamwork and advised he would shut the lights off and wanted to hear 40 pair of eyelids click shut together. Off go the lights and back on in a second or two. The DI shouts "I only heard 39 pair of eyelids!! One of you ladies is not working as a team member. Everybody up and run to Georgia!!" Now run to Georgia is an especially pleasant experience. The two bunkmates (upper and lower) pick up the bunk - one at the feet with his hands and the bunk behind him and the other at the head with the bunk in front........then..........you all run in the big circle around the center tables in your white boxers with the bunk while the DI stands on one of the tables in the center providing feedback on technique. The key to success while Running to Georgia is to hold the bunk quite high so your legs shins/calfs do not hit the crossbars of the bunk while running. It gets old pretty quick. So after a suitable period of time the DI shouts "everybody back in your racks". Now you have to get your bunk to its proper location, positioned just the right distance between bunks and get quickly back into the rack. Then the DI says "okay ladies......lets try that again" and shuts off the lights. Several seconds later...........you probably knew what was coming.......the lights come back on and the DI shouts "I still only heard 39 pair of eyelids click shut!! One of you ladies still is not cooperating!" Everybody up up up and run to Georgia. This cycle continues until you find yourself...sweaty and exhausted....lying in your rack and trying really hard to actually slam your eyelids set when the light goes off. Eventually the DI hears all 40 air of eyelids and you are allowed to go to sleep. Yep...........I loved boot camp. 

• Like 3