Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

limeydal

Hot Rum Regatta San Diego

Some nice condition for the SDYC Hot Rum races in San Diego today!

Lots of Photogs around, so there should be some good action shots being posted later !

Did notice this one out there showing some good form though ;)

Geez , that sucker can move !!

cheers Dal

post-22096-092076000 1289088860_thumb.jpg

results?

Here you go,

Results

cheers Dal

i see USA3 the J111 raced. Could today of been the very first race for a J111??? History in the making ( or a fucking stoopid J Boat trivia question in 10 years)

I want to publicly acknowledge Scott and his more than worthy crew for kicking our humble behinds - Anarchy's crew rocks - we prayed for you before the race this morning

results?

Here you go,

Results

cheers Dal

i see USA3 the J111 raced. Could today of been the very first race for a J111??? History in the making ( or a fucking stoopid J Boat trivia question in 10 years)

Rumor has it USA 3 put the Express 37 M aground. What's the scoop?

nice shots - thanks! i think we hit 14 plus on that first run. got any more???

Cutting it close on the South mark !

yeah, that was close but we had it - it is critical to make big gains at the leeward mark roundings in this series and we did at both.

Any contact? Much shouting? Looks fairly well-bahaved.

Think you will like # 342 ,346,369,396,400

Full gallery here

Bayshots Gallery

cheers Dal

results?

Here you go,

Results

cheers Dal

Seeing as you asked

post-22096-058404100 1289104968_thumb.jpg

thanks....looks like they sailed with 8-9 onboard.

Great props to Scot and the Anarchy team. We thought we were grinding them down in the roads, but they did a great job getting through the leeward pile up and did a great job of holding their kite all the way in. We... uhm... didn't fare as well. laugh.gif

The 111 looked damn good and really fast. We finished within seconds of each other with a couple of pesky 50s sandwiched between us.

no contact and just a little yelling - the usual "room!" "no room!" fare. we squeezed in there and all was well. glad i didn't look back geoff! we thought we were hauling ass but you guys must have really been moving! and yes, the j/111 looked really strong going uphill. we seemed quite a bit faster with kites up, to be expected i would guess. again, why the hell we didn't put the zero up on that final leg was a testament to my stupidity. for sure we would have picked off the two remaining 105's in front of us. oh well, i'll take it - it was really an awesome day.

for this race these were supposed random leg ratings. we rated -6 lower than stock as we carried our zero.

Thanks. Are these distance races or W/L?

Random legs heading out the channel, then left into the Coronado Roads around a couple of marks. Then back upwind to a channel mark and back to the start!

Small boats start 1st, then boats start according to their rating with the fastest starting last! IF everyone sails to their rating, then you'll have 116 boats finish at the same time!!:blink:

I did my 1st one in the early 70's. Been having fun ever since!:D

Been with Scot the last 3 years winning class and yesterday got off to a good start to defend!

Small boats start 1st, then boats start according to their rating with the fastest starting last! IF everyone sails to their rating, then you'll have 116 boats finish at the same time!!:blink:

Or if the PHRF raters have not been giving gift ratings away.......YA Shure

OK. What's with the term 'hot rum'

I'll hang up & listen for my answer....

Back in the day......The entry fee was a portion of rum equal to the size of the boat!

Then after each race, the yacht clubs would prepare the said entry fees as hot buttered rum and we would drink accordingly!:)

New for this year, is the series is being sailed on Sat instead of Sun.

Some say to watch football and make Mon am a little easier on the brain cells;)

I much prefer racing sat instead of sunday....

Yes, much better.

+100

Really great change. Even managed to catch my kid's soccer game and haul ass in time for the start (then watch both the Chargers and the Saints win today). Thanks SDYC. Good thinkin'!

I much prefer racing sat instead of sunday....

Yes, much better.

+100

Really great change. Even managed to catch my kid's soccer game and haul ass in time for the start (then watch both the Chargers and the Saints win today). Thanks SDYC. Good thinkin'!

Yes, my wife was happy that I was able to support here in taking my boy to a 5 yo b-day party @ Chuck E Cheese......Let the good times roll!!:lol:

Saturday races (and one day races in general) are the way to go for local regattas...they fit nicely into the schedules of us working stiffs and family guys. I really like the Fall schedule for Flying Tigers, alternating Hot Rums with SDYC's ODW, giving us 3 Saturdays of racing in Nov and 2 in early Dec, a good balance of sailing and time left over for other things including the Holiday stuff with family. Maybe that's what will "save sailing"...

OK. What's with the term 'hot rum'

In southern California we race all through the winter. It isn't "frostbiting" or any of that other sadistic crap people do in the Snow Belt. Shorts and T-shirts, yesterday and today! (quit honestly, the weather for the last week has been better than it was 98% of the entire 2010 summer here...)

Anyway, since we are sailing damn near close to naked and it is November, we need to heat up the post-race rum to get it into our bloodstream faster. It's an old recipe with dark rum, butter, sugar, and cloves mixed with hot water. The hot water makes it "hot" but dilutes the alcohol content to the extent that sailors rarely drink this traditional drink anymore. Plus it doesn't taste all that great anyway. You warm up just as quickly by tossing a few straight shots of rum or tequila down yer throat.

no contact and just a little yelling - the usual "room!" "no room!" fare. we squeezed in there and all was well. glad i didn't look back geoff! we thought we were hauling ass but you guys must have really been moving! and yes, the j/111 looked really strong going uphill. we seemed quite a bit faster with kites up, to be expected i would guess. again, why the hell we didn't put the zero up on that final leg was a testament to my stupidity. for sure we would have picked off the two remaining 105's in front of us. oh well, i'll take it - it was really an awesome day.

sure looks like it!

how painful was Sunday AM though? (new format eh) B)

Some get their knickers in a twist, while others look a little more serious ,

cheers Dal

post-22096-054456800 1289270339_thumb.jpg

post-22096-068551400 1289270341_thumb.jpg

post-22096-006096700 1289270343_thumb.jpg