Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brian Weslake

Yo ho ho

Stingray, I think you predicted that we would be surprised at the number of entries received for the next AC. You were certainly correct, even I have been surprised at the lack of interest.

What do you think your chances of winning the bet are, do you think Iain Murray is likely to get another 3 entries in the next 48 hours?

If not, better start shopping for some Mt Gay.

Jumping the gun a bit bud? Its been pointed out a number of times already how long it took EB and Uncle Larry to get teams signed up for AC32. Why should AC34 be held to a different standard? Then again this bet involves Rum right? Seems to be lose/lose to me. :lol:

WetHog :ph34r:

Jumping the gun a bit bud? Its been pointed out a number of times already how long it took EB and Uncle Larry to get teams signed up for AC32. Why should AC34 be held to a different standard? Then again this bet involves Rum right? Seems to be lose/lose to me. :lol:

The bet was for the number of challenger or defender entries, other than BMWO or ML, in the first two weeks after entries opened. I said 4 or less, SR said >4.

Spinray needs three more entries in the next 48 hours to win the bet, maybe I'm jumping the gun but I can't see it happening somehow.

You were certainly correct, even I have been surprised at the lack of interest.

Interestingly the exact same "lack of interest" (same line up of signed up competitors as the Louis Vuitton Dubai ACC). So ACC or AC72's, the same players. That pretty much sinks the "Cats are scary" theory.

Lmao! :D

Yes, you may win this bet just like you did with the one way-back with Indio. Just for fun - Remind us please, what that bet was?

As I recall it, all I need to win this bet is 6 entries. NOT > 4, it is >= 4 besides BOR and ML.

Perhaps more importantly, you have your 48 hours wrong. We bet by the 15th, today by my clock is the 10th.

There's a couple nuances here... One is the timezone, of any Nov 15 deadline for announcement. Another is the definition of an Entry.

What would you say, if more teams have already made deposits, but not been announced yet?

;)

edit: and how the f*ck did you know, that I wear a T-shirt embossed with Yo-Ho-Ho and wear it quite often because people like it? It goes with my real name... <_<:)

The bet was for the number of challenger or defender entries, other than BMWO or ML, in the first two weeks after entries opened. I said 4 or less, SR said >4.

Spinray needs three more entries in the next 48 hours to win the bet, maybe I'm jumping the gun but I can't see it happening somehow.

Sorry, guess I missed the actual details of this bet. I'd say you will probably win, but once again I beg you to try and change the winnings. Whiskey > Rum ;)

Sorry, guess I missed the actual details of this bet. I'd say you will probably win, but once again I beg you to try and change the winnings. Whiskey > Rum ;)

B 'I am a betting man' W is already so far tanked, that he obviously won't care what it is he gets to drink that night :)

The plaque will be the cool thing, whichever way this goes.

Yes, you may win this bet just like you did with the one way-back with Indio. Just for fun - Remind us please, what that bet was?

When Alinghi was 2-1 down in the AC final I bet Indio one bottle of rum per race from then on. Alinghi won four straight and I won four bottles.

As I recall it, all I need to win this bet is 6 entries. NOT > 4, it is >= 4 besides BOR and ML.

Perhaps more importantly, you have your 48 hours wrong. We bet by the 15th, today by my clock is the 10th.

I thought it was >4, but honestly can't remember. I'm sure with your outstanding search skills you will be able to verify it one way or the other in a jiffy. You are correct on the date however. So you have a bit more time than I thought.

You were certainly correct, even I have been surprised at the lack of interest.

Interestingly the exact same "lack of interest" (same line up of signed up competitors as the Louis Vuitton Dubai ACC). So ACC or AC72's, the same players. That pretty much sinks the "Cats are scary" theory.

Try the "Cats are mucho expensive" reality!!

So you have a bit more time than I thought.

You do too. But don't let that stop you from starting to shop around starting now.

:D

So you have a bit more time than I thought.

You do too. But don't let that stop you from starting to shop around starting now.

:D

Why, are you going to send me the money and get me to buy it myself?

Plaque? I didn't realize I was winning a trophy as well!

You aren't. But there has to be something meaningful left over for after the bottle is gone, right?

Did Indio not do something decent like that??

I was thinking that once I receive it, if you don't include at least a congratulations card, then perhaps I will just pour some of the bottle over Stingette's tits, and post a picture of that :D

Problem for me is, that happens a lot anyway so I will 'barely' even remember winning it :P

Plaque? I didn't realize I was winning a trophy as well!

You aren't. But there has to be something meaningful left over for after the bottle is gone, right?

Did Indio not do something decent like that??

I was thinking that once I receive it, if you don't include at least a congratulations card, then perhaps I will just pour some of the bottle over Stingette's tits, and post a picture of that :D

Problem for me is, that happens a lot anyway so I will 'barely' even remember winning it :P

You're wasting good rum on the Corvette's headlights?!?biggrin.gif

Did Indio not do something decent like that?

Indio was supposed to purchase an Alinghi shirt and hat and wear it to an All Blacks game, and if he survived, post a picture on AC Anarchy. However, to his everlasting shame, he welched on that part of the bet.

Indio was supposed to purchase an Alinghi shirt and hat and wear it to an All Blacks game, and if he survived, post a picture on AC Anarchy. However, to his everlasting shame, he welched on that part of the bet.

I wouldn't be seen dead in an Alinghi anything...well, perhaps with the exception of Kristy..or a BMWO one.

I wouldn't be seen dead in an Alinghi anything...well, perhaps with the exception of Kristy..or a BMWO one.

Indio welched on that part of the bet? I remember it well, and although disappointed Indio didn't fess up to everything, I am not surprised. ;)

Spinray

Can you let me know when I can begin gloating, I'm keen to get started.

I bet you are! Lol

I figure I have until midnight my time, SF time (PST) on the 15th, Monday.

The AC site does not seem to ever publish news on weekends so far. And so day-time Monday is my best chance, and yes it's a long shot at this point... But is definitely still possible, so despite it being the weekend don't start drinking just yet :)

I went back to read the NOC and it is still not clear to me if they are even required to announce when they get entries filed. That bugs me, because of the possibility there are already more than what they have said. I think the distinction was between them receiving the 25K entry fee, versus also the filled out Challenger Notice form or Defender Application form. They go to separate parties, IIRC.

Spinray

I bet you are! Lol

The AC site does not seem to ever publish news on weekends so far. And so day-time Monday is my best chance, and yes it's a long shot at this point... But is definitely still possible, so despite it being the weekend don't start drinking just yet :)

I went back to read the NOC and it is still not clear to me if they are even required to announce when they get entries filed. That bugs me, because of the possibility there are already more than what they have said. I think the distinction was between them receiving the 25K entry fee, versus also the filled out Challenger Notice form or Defender Application form. They go to separate parties, IIRC.

You can have till midnight your time on the 15th, because frankly I don't think it will make a difference. But I would insist that it be entries declared by ACRM at that time, as we would never be able to go back and find out the exact time and date of an entry being accepted.

Sound fair?

Spinray

I bet you are! Lol

You can have till midnight your time on the 15th, because frankly I don't think it will make a difference. But I would insist that it be entries declared by ACRM at that time, as we would never be able to go back and find out the exact time and date of an entry being accepted.

Sound fair?

Yep, reluctantly. I do realize that is the only way for us to know, an ACRM or a Team (which is also allowed for) announcement indicating that payment has been received, the forms filed, the team vetted, and the challenge accepted. In the case of Synergy that was made pretty obvious, hopefully none of the dozens of announcements on Monday will be any less straight forward.

ps: pm me, please?

Brian,

If I were you I'd be concerned - not about winning the bet obviously, but by SR's interpretation thereof, vide his latest intellectual contorsions and what can only be described as generally intoxicated state. That is best explained by him having consulted TE and being advised that a 'bottle of rum' is a 'glass container suitable for storing, or having stored in the past, alcoholic beverages' - and he's currently busy draining it ..

Brian,

If I were you I'd be concerned - not about winning the bet obviously, but by SR's interpretation thereof, vide his latest intellectual contorsions and what can only be described as generally intoxicated state. That is best explained by him having consulted TE and being advised that a 'bottle of rum' is a 'glass container suitable for storing, or having stored in the past, alcoholic beverages' - and he's currently busy draining it ..

True, there may well be a way to get 'having' into this bet. Hmmmmm (scratches head, takes another swig..) An AC34 having >= 6 entries...

Brian,

True, there may well be a way to get 'having' into this bet. Hmmmmm (scratches head, takes another swig..) An AC34 having >= 6 entries...

Oh No........................not the having argument again. :o

Spinray, hows the entry list going, expecting a last minute rush this afternoon to save you?

I'll start the serious gloating in about 12 hours time and I'll PM you delivery details soon.

Spinray, hows the entry list going, expecting a last minute rush this afternoon to save you?

I'll start the serious gloating in about 12 hours time and I'll PM you delivery details soon.

With no venue announcement yet, yes it is a pretty frikkin' long shot! Tick, tick, tick...

If I do lose then I would propose a double-or-nothing follow-on bet... but it's unlikely you'll be up for it.

With no venue announcement yet, yes it is a pretty frikkin' long shot! Tick, tick, tick...

If I do lose then I would propose a double-or-nothing follow-on bet... but it's unlikely you'll be up for it.

Are you conceding defeat yet, or do you want to wait until midnight?

Not interested in double or nothing bets, but more than happy to have bets with you in future. Seeing as how smart and well informed you are you should be able to even the score in no time.

Not interested in double or nothing bets, but more than happy to have bets with you in future. Seeing as how smart and well informed you are you should be able to even the score in no time.

We may as well wait until midnight GGYC/SF time, since I will not have the chance to buy and mail the bottle today anyway. Will tomorrow, and yes.. I foresee no sudden batch of entry announcements.

On a follow-on bet.. Since the subject is generally about the number of entries and the timing, I would like to propose one along the lines of 'X entries within Y weeks of the venue announcement.' Just how brave I'd like to get with X and Y is something I'll have to be just a little more gun-shy about this time, so will think on it.

We may as well wait until midnight GGYC/SF time, since I will not have the chance to buy and mail the bottle today anyway. Will tomorrow, and yes.. I foresee no sudden batch of entry announcements.

On a follow-on bet.. Since the subject is generally about the number of entries and the timing, I would like to propose one along the lines of 'X entries within Y weeks of the venue announcement.' Just how brave I'd like to get with X and Y is something I'll have to be just a little more gun-shy about this time, so will think on it.

You don't have to buy and send him a bottle from the USA - just do a search on-lin on the nearest wholesaler to his address, pay for it and they'll deliver. I should know..mad.gifmad.gif

Stingray,

Can I now get you to admit that your supremely confident predictions of a large number of entries were incorrect?

That was actually the point of this bet, you have pushed your somewhat biased point of view on this forum for some time, yet the claims don't always stand up to scrutiny. Can I get you to agree that things aren't necessarily as rosy in BMWO land as spin-meisters would like to admit.

Stingray,

Can I now get you to admit that your supremely confident predictions of a large number of entries were incorrect?

That was actually the point of this bet, you have pushed your somewhat biased point of view on this forum for some time, yet the claims don't always stand up to scrutiny. Can I get you to agree that things aren't necessarily as rosy in BMWO land as spin-meisters would like to admit.

No, and here's why: The venue has not yet even been announced. That makes closing sponsorship deals difficult, understandably. Remember the only comparable timeline we have, that for AC32? I am very convinced teams will sign faster than that for AC34. With Artemis, it already started faster.

I remain perfectly confident that a 'large' number of entries will be received. The fact that 13 interested teams attended the very first meeting in Paris is a good indicator. That fact that several teams we already know about, including the 6 in Dubai, all want to enter. And If SF happens as I think it will, then I believe sponsorship will be plenty healthy enough to get 8+ teams because of the grandness of the event envisioned.

I also happen to think more entry fees have been paid than announced; and that the meeting in Dubai could attract some interesting new faces we have not even heard of yet.

Was this bet overconfident? Yes, obviously. Gloat all you like. But the next two to three months will be revealing, and I bet there will be more entries than what you apparently think!

:)

Congratulations there Brian as it's 7 minutes before zero hour PST. Let us know when you lift the 1st glass and we will have cheers all around. Guess a bottle is better than a toaster?

No, and here's why: The venue has not yet even been announced. That makes closing sponsorship deals difficult, understandably. Remember the only comparable timeline we have, that for AC32? I am very convinced teams will sign faster than that for AC34. With Artemis, it already started faster.

Spin, spin, spin

You cannot compare this with AC32 because with AC32, there was no incentive to enter early. Zero. All entering early did was deprive you of your money sooner. Only an idiot would sign up before they needed to.

The best indicator of the likely numbers is that ETNZ haven't entered and they aren't panicing. If they thought there were a lot of entries out there, they would have put up the $25k to secure a place on the AC45 waiting list. However, they are so confident that there aren't a lot of teams out there, they have decided not to bother risking $25k, which they can easily afford!

I also happen to think more entry fees have been paid than announced;

So now BOR/GGYC are saying one thing and doing another? They clearly stated that they will announce entries, as received, but not the names of the teams. If they had any more entries, we would know about it, even if we didn't know the names of the teams. BTW, has anybody worked out who the "other" team that has entered really is?

II bet there will be more entries than what you apparently think!

;) that one could cost you yet another bottle, but then of course, with your supreme intelligence, your masterful insight and your ultimate psychological insight you happen to know what somebody else "apparently" thinks ? :D

II bet there will be more entries than what you apparently think!

;) that one could cost you yet another bottle, but then of course, with your supreme intelligence, your masterful insight and your ultimate psychological insight you happen to know what somebody else "apparently" thinks ? :D

Like SimonN suggests, I think some people put a lot more emphasis on the importance of the by-entry-order AC45 slots, himself included, than what was warranted. Me included, I should have covered instead of gambling right off the line.

What can I say? Except to suggest that Brian has the early lead on a big split. But there's a major wind shift coming and I am on correct the side of the course to take full advantage! So toss in 'good instinct' too. :)

This bottle bet is fun, and congratulations to Brian. But it does not portend the big picture Brian is suggesting, it's still silly-season, early-days, entry-wise. They will definitely come and it will be full-on fun.

BTW, has anybody worked out who the "other" team that has entered really is?

My guess is that the second entry is Aleph, as they want to gain legitimacy in the competition for French sponsorship dollars over any other French team that wants to compete.

Other than that I think the remaining potential teams are, in descending order of probability of getting enough sponsorship to enter:

ETNZ

Synergy

possibly an Australian team

all4one

A US based defender alternative

My guess is that only 2 or 3 of those will make it over the line.

Long shot teams might include:

another italian team

a Red Bull Austrian team

a new British team

But so far I haven't seen any evidence that these teams actually exist.

But there's a major wind shift coming and I am on correct the side of the course to take full advantage! So toss in 'good instinct' too. :)

Usually you can see a windshift coming on, you know, there are some signs in the air and on the water that can tell you ... what do we have right now ? not much, not even enough to know on which side of the water you should be, you're letting your dreams and wishes get the better of you. (unless of course your red phone has been ringing ... B) )

What concerns me most is not even the venue, that should be SF and nothing else, but the fact that due to this extreme level of change (cats, wings and all that) combined with the seemingly extreme cost if one wants to be really competitive, combined with the pretty short timing, you will see a very uneven playing field, so even if you would get up to your dozen of wannabee challengers, what will it be worth if most of them will only be in it with zero chance, just to be in it and nothing else ? why was this year's F1 circuit (to pick up that comparison again ...) so interesting ? because it took them up to the last couple of races to find out who was best, up to the last seconds there was still more than one contender... I sincerely hope I'm wrong in my assessment (so not willing to bet on it :) ) but I don't think that if things go on like they are now we will have more than a couple of really serious contenders plus a load of wannabees, freeloaders and "15 minutes of fame" contenders, if that's what you like ... not me.

For sure some teams will be in an upper-echelon. It is those teams who I hope are close enough to each other, to provide exciting and unpredictable racing at the far end when it counts most. Some teams may get in with less effort behind them, more just to get their feet wet without expectations of really winning the Cup. None of that would be new or radical.

possibly an Australian team

In the latest Seahorse - which arrived here yesterday - Rob Mundle claims there are three Oz groups getting organised.

Drops major hints about the leading one.

But, yes, we will believe it when the kangaroo comes through the gate.

If things go on like they are now we will have more than a couple of really serious contenders plus a load of wannabees, freeloaders and "15 minutes of fame" contenders, if that's what you like ... not me.

This is legitimate and well-founded concern.

I, too, hope it does not go this way.

This bottle bet is fun, and congratulations to Brian. But it does not portend the big picture Brian is suggesting, it's still silly-season, early-days, entry-wise. They will definitely come and it will be full-on fun.

Here is my reading on the Stingray/Weslake bet.

Most of us thought there would be a stampede on Day 1 of the entry window - because first in line gets their AC45 early.

But, because the venue is not settled, known combatants (eg. ETNZ) held back.

Moreover, BOR has promised to remain silent about entries received - leaving announcement honour and glory to syndicates (with Artemis doing an ok job on this!).

Several of us (inc. Stingray) know about other high-potential challengers - some of which are sparkling new - and not part of the LV circus.

Stingray hoped they would have declared themselves prior to the bottle deadline.

Like Albatros, I think BOR are probably a bit spooked by the absence of a line-up on Entry Window Day 1.

Hence, they (BOR) will do what is needed to nudge others into the fray. If some syndicates need a loan to cement their interest, Larry will give it to them for a good rate.

Hopefully there will be about 8 challengers. I hope there are few (or no) wannabees. It would be better if everyone had a chance. And I know of at least one minor syndicate (not yet formally entered) thinking this way.

Stingray lost the bet.

But he was not far from the mark.

Now the question is - will Brother Weslake post a picture showing some of the winnings being poured over the Corvette headlights?

Speaking of rum;

The U. S. S.. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum ."

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November.. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine .

On 18 November, she set sail for England . In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland . Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum , no wine , no whisky , and 38,600 gallons of water . GO NAVY!

Speaking of rum;

The U. S. S.. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers).

However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S. Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum ."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November.. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine .

On 18 November, she set sail for England . In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde in Scotland . Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U. S. S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum , no wine , no whisky , and 38,600 gallons of water . GO NAVY!

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif..thanks for that.

Speaking of rum;

Put tears in my eyes :-)

Speaking of rum;

Sounds like my kind of cruise..................................;)

Speaking of rum;

Great story, unfortunately it is a complete fabrication.