Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jfranta

ATN Inc turns turtle in mid Atlantic in the Route Du Rhum

My good friend Etienne Giroire (only American in the Route Du Rhum) joins the elite club of ocean going multihullers that have turned turtle in mid ocean. Yesterday, early morning, he was hit by a squall while sleeping and the boat was turned over. He is OK. Saved himself, 2 apples, and some water in the liferaft. Lost everything else. Survived about 8 hours in the liferaft until picked up by a French freighter on its way to Guadeloupe. Etienne spent an incredible amount of effort getting he and his boat ready for this adventure and my heart goes out to him on the loss of his boat and his unfinished adventure. But tis better to have sailed and lost than not to have sailed at all.

FYI, If you Know Etienne, he is a genuinely good guy and if you don't know him you should as he will certainly enhance your life as he has mine. He had no insurance other than Liability and he has a struggling small business (like all sailing businesses these days). If you want to help you can go to his website and buy a Mastclimber or any of his other great products. http://www.atninc.com/index_en.php.

John Franta, Colligo Marine

post-21646-097937600 1289757575_thumb.jpg

post-21646-042580300 1289757594_thumb.jpg

My good friend Etienne Giroire (only American in the Route Du Rhum) joins the elite club of ocean going multihullers that have turned turtle in mid ocean. Yesterday, early morning, he was hit by a squall while sleeping and the boat was turned over. He is OK. Saved himself, 2 apples, and some water in the liferaft. Lost everything else. Survived about 8 hours in the liferaft until picked up by a French freighter on its way to Guadeloupe. Etienne spent an incredible amount of effort getting he and his boat ready for this adventure and my heart goes out to him on the loss of his boat and his unfinished adventure. But tis better to have sailed and lost than not to have sailed at all.

FYI, If you Know Etienne, he is a genuinely good guy and if you don't know him you should as he will certainly enhance your life as he has mine. He had no insurance other than Liability and he has a struggling small business (like all sailing businesses these days). If you want to help you can go to his website and buy a Mastclimber or any of his other great products. http://www.atninc.com/index_en.php.

John Franta, Colligo Marine

The ATN spinny sock has worked well on board Calypso for 10 years. It has pulled my bacon out of the fire several times like when racing double handed we were dip-pole gybing (20' spin pole)and I opened the sheet shackle. The ATN sock allowed me to recover and re-set the sail in minutes.

I have also used one on a 56' cruiser offshore for some hurried takedowns when conditions deteriated quickly.

I will take a look at the ATN web site. Maybe Calypso's budget could support a carbon sock ring upgrade if one is offered.

Blackbeard

no Kidding

I have a Gale Sail from him ...absolutely one of the nicest made bits on my boat.

Used to have a spinaker sock, which worked real well on my old leaner...

Would buy his top climber in a hurry if it wouldnt be so easy to lay the mast down on a Corsair, but if I get anything bigger I will certainly go for one....

Again Etienne is one of us....all his products make excellent Christmas presents

thor

+5 on that, Thor.

He is one of us and deserves all the care that might go with that recognition.

This topic should be moved to SA so that more folks see it and help support Etienne by buying his great gear.

Dawg, Scot?