Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

spacecadet

Anyone Looking Forward to the Barcelona World Race?

The Barcelona World is starting on New Years Eve in 2010/11 is anyone excited? Here is a clip from the previous event to get you ready for this year!

Oh yeah, another showdown of the Imocas, bring it on. Never looked at the Velux 5 oceans, not enough competition.

This is the real one.

The Barcelona World is starting on New Years Eve in 2010/11 is anyone excited? Here is a clip from the previous event to get you ready for this year!

Absolutely. Was there for the start in 2007 as a guest of Hugo Boss and really enjoyed it. A very interesting mix of experienced and new teams plus experienced and new sailors. Also very encouraging to see how the Spanish have embraced the IMOCA 60 class. As for a winner…hard to say but Virbac looks like a very solid package.

Gnarly, dive into Minis and Figaro too, and jou are never bored,

This should definitely be good! Nine yachts in 2007-08, fifteen in 2010...

I agree that Jean-Pierre Dick and Loick Peyron will be a formidable team on Virbac-Paprec 3, but Desjoyaux has some unfinished business after a wrong turn on the Route du Rhum. I also look forward to the girl's team, Caffari and Corbella on GEAS Centros Auditivos.

40 days to go! http://www.barcelonaworldrace.org/en/

Some weird coskippers chooses from newby Imoca skippers.

COrbella´s boyfriend is the skipper of On The Water :)

I support Estrella Damm, due to skipper Pella and the sponsor... They trained 32 k Miles, thats a lot.

I bet a podium place for them.

its an interesting line up. i think le cam on the old ecover 3 could be very quick. it will be interesting to see how the guys who have jumped into new verdiers will do against there old farr boats. and then from the leftfield is hugo boss. can alex thompson finally pull it off. i will be watching this race with a very keen interest.

Looking forward to following this event, Virbac-Paprec 3 looks like she'll be hard to beat. I'd like to see Boss do well, but Alex has a tendancy to push his boats so damn hard......

All in all, should be a good one to keep track of......

Virbac-Paprec 3 will be very hard to beat however Michel Desjoyeaux and Foncia will be up there. As with all these races reliability may end up determining the outcome. English fans will have their fingers crossed for Hugo Boss but Alex will need to do better than his track record of retirements, there are some unknowns I know nothing of? Looking forward to a great race. :)

More IMOCA related but with a BWR link.

François Gabart, Mich Desj's crew in the BWR, had finished his 2 year term with MACIF Figaro, as the year champion.

The french insurers have just announced at the Paris show, that they would be building a new IMOCA 60 in Foncia moulds for Gabart and the Vendee Globe.

Boat will be built under supervision of Mich Desj's own "Mer Agitée" and managed by them

Course au large

With a non-French project said to be currently building in secret somewhere, that's already two new boats, 2 years ahead of the VG.

François Gabart, Mich Desj's crew in the BWR, had finished his 2 year term with MACIF Figaro, as the year champion.

The french insurers have just announced at the Paris show, that they would be building a new IMOCA 60 in Foncia moulds for Gabart and the Vendee Globe.

Boat will be built under supervision of Mich Desj's own "Mer Agitée" and managed by them

Course au large

With a non-French project said to be currently building in secret somewhere, that's already two new boats, 2 years ahead of the VG.

Interesting news as I had assumed that Francois might have taken over Mich's 60 after the BWR, either with his own sponsorship or by continuing with Foncia (even though they are going for the MOD IIRC). Any idea what is going to hapen with the Foncia 60?

Course au large

Interesting news as I had assumed that Francois might have taken over Mich's 60 after the BWR, either with his own sponsorship or by continuing with Foncia (even though they are going for the MOD IIRC). Any idea what is going to hapen with the Foncia 60?

Currently for sale (delivery post BWR) to fund the MOD 70

Jeez, missed the start of this thread. Agree that Virbac looks good, but by it's nature there will be a roll of the dice going on.

The Hugo Boss will be........?? Whose guess? Some big mods on that one.

Great how the entry list has increased since the last event and a load of new(ish) designs as well.

Course au large

Thanks for that. Still a bit confused as to why Francois would go the extra expense of building a new boat out of Foncia's moulds when he could buy the original after the BWR. Assuming it is still in one piece!

Course au large

Thanks for that. Still a bit confused as to why Francois would go the extra expense of building a new boat out of Foncia's moulds when he could buy the original after the BWR. Assuming it is still in one piece!

We can only guess here !

Cheaper to build new than buying Foncia ?

Foncia already pre-sold ?

In any case the rationale somewhere is "business & money"

Course au large

We can only guess here !

No doubt it is for a very logical reason. Perhaps Hugo Boss have an option on it in case Alex breaks the Juan K boat in the BWR!

No doubt it is for a very logical reason. Perhaps Hugo Boss have an option on it in case Alex breaks the Juan K boat in the BWR!

If he breaks this one? do you think he will be given another one?

Personally I doubt it as breaking another boat would be raise serious credibility issues, but the big unknown is where Hugo Boss's tipping point is. If they keep being happy with the returns then who knows? I really do hope that he gets a good result in this race, though. Hugo Boss has run a really good sponsorship programme these past few years and having met Alex a few times he seems like a decent guy.

Purchasing Pindar-

HB:"Now Alex, this is why we can't have nice things. You'll take your used boat and like it. If you make this one last, maybe we'll get you a new one for Christmas."

AT:"Buuuut dad, all the kids at IMOCA will laugh at me... stupid JK jalopy barely made it down the block last time..."

**temper tantrum**

HB:"Just tell all the other kids you got it because its grandfathered with a bigger mast, those suckers will believe anything."

AT:"Fine, can I at least put a body kit on top? Pulease dad, please? Nobody will know its used then!"

All jokes aside, Go AT + AM. I'm looking forward to you guys starting clean this year, and pushing hard. Everyone got their fingers crossed?

Th above post is awesome :P

But yeah, has he ever actually finished a race in a sixty??

Purchasing Pindar-

HB:"Now Alex, this is why we can't have nice things. You'll take your used boat and like it. If you make this one last, maybe we'll get you a new one for Christmas."

AT:"Buuuut dad, all the kids at IMOCA will laugh at me... stupid JK jalopy barely made it down the block last time..."

**temper tantrum**

HB:"Just tell all the other kids you got it because its grandfathered with a bigger mast, those suckers will believe anything."

AT:"Fine, can I at least put a body kit on top? Pulease dad, please? Nobody will know its used then!"

All jokes aside, Go AT + AM. I'm looking forward to you guys starting clean this year, and pushing hard. Everyone got their fingers crossed?

Good post.

Either way he gets headlines. What more do you want as a sponsor?

The bloke who’ll probably get a safe midfleet finish or the guy who'll go very fast at some point before spectacularly destroying something?

I hope he has a good one.

Sponsor PR wishes, in order of priority:

1) Win in a close race

2) Break spectacularly

3) Win in a rout

4) Break quietly

5) Finish dead last after breaking

5) Finish anywhere but first or last

1) Win in a close race

2) Break spectacularly

3) Win in a rout

4) Break quietly

I would say that the one thing you are missing from there is:

Communicate clearly.

THe PR battles in the Vendee Globe were won by Sam Davies or Steve White. Neither of whom fit the list above in any way, shape or form. However they communicated clearly and with character.

I do not mean who got attention in the yachting press either, as that is largely irrelevant. More, who caught the attention of the wider public.

1) Win in a close race

2) Break spectacularly

3) Win in a rout

4) Break quietly

Clean - in your opinion is there a point at which a skipper repeatedly breaking a boat starts becoming a liability for a sponsor? I agree to a certain extent that all publicity is good publicity but is it a good thing to be associating your company with a person or product that repeatedly cocks up or fails to deliver? If you were advising a company is there a point at which you would tell them to stop?

This is not an attack on Alex, by the way. Genuinely interested in your views.

1) Win in a close race

2) Break spectacularly

3) Win in a rout

4) Break quietly

Clean - in your opinion is there a point at which a skipper repeatedly breaking a boat starts becoming a liability for a sponsor? I agree to a certain extent that all publicity is good publicity but is it a good thing to be associating your company with a person or product that repeatedly cocks up or fails to deliver? If you were advising a company is there a point at which you would tell them to stop?

I don't think it is just about 'breaking a boat' - these are such unique sets of circumstances that it's impossible to generalize beyond the fact that lots of headlines is almost always a positive. My sources tell me that Boss is very happy about their partnership with AT despite the fact that he beats the crap out of everything he sails. He's actually quite a cool guy, he does a bang-up job for HB on their hospitality/promotion stuff (that you only see from those keel out of the water pics), and he's pretty inventive when it comes to defraying expenses that he incurs when he breaks shit. So he probably will never win anything, but if that's good enough for Boss, it's good enough for me. I guess if you are not good enough to win, you have to come up with another angle.

If I was advising a company on this issue, I'd tell them what I always do: Assign the most accurate number you can to the publicity and hospitality you get. Compare to the cost. If A>B, continue. If A<B, stop.

On that vain it is harsh on the crew but perhaps lucky for the sponsor that Central Lechera Asturiana (ex. Mutua Madrilena, ex. Ecover 2) now have a race against time to get to the start line.

Dismasted in the Atlantic on their way to Barcelona they have managed to navigate their way through the Gib Straits under Jury rig and are hoping to be able to fit a new (second hand) rig in order to get to the start line.

THere are going to be some long days for that team inthe next 3 weeks. Good Luck to them.

We can only guess here !

So the fate of the latest Foncia sounds to be sealed.

Rumours look to have proved right with Ouest France confirming that the boat is sold to the Banque Populaire team.

Business and money ? Banque Populaire is the majority shareholder of Foncia.

Skipper is yet unknown, but il aready seems to be a turn around from record-breaking tris, while BP V is still sitting idle in Brest Marina.

So the fate of the latest Foncia sounds to be sealed.

Rumours look to have proved right with Ouest France confirming that the boat is sold to the Banque Populaire team.

Business and money ? Banque Populaire is the majority shareholder of Foncia.

Skipper is yet unknown, but il aready seems to be a turn around from record-breaking tris, while BP V is still sitting idle in Brest Marina.

Thanks for the info and very interesting move from BP to follow Groupama into the monohull arena. Shame in a way as to me BP V and Groupama 3 are the coolest raceboats around at the minute by some distance.

Long as we're allowed to all post...

It'd be one thing if it was all stupid sailing mistakes of the same caliber. It's not the same pattern for these guys - rudder design issues, hitting stuff accidentally, freak fishing boat collisions. I guess Alex does what they need him to. We also don't hear much about their racing around Britain - don't they normally do the rounds? He seems to have been good with the corporate showing. I think Boss simply has what they need, not the best but definitely someone who can wear a suit, and muscle through and keep coming back for more.

2nd in the BWR last time - with a stop and well behind the leaders. Still in there though. This running is going to be a lot more exciting than the inaugural event.

He still has the best 24 hour run in an IMOCA too?

2nd in the BWR last time - with a stop and well behind the leaders. Still in there though. This running is going to be a lot more exciting than the inaugural event.

He still has the best 24 hour run in an IMOCA too?

ok I reitterate that, has he ever finished a race without stopping? Exactly

Extremely impressive setup here in Barcelona. The amount of economic and logistical support that organizers FNOB have from the city is substantial, from sponsors incredible, and from the public surprising. Barcelona is making its mark with this race, and doing everything exactly right, modeled directly on the top French races with an added Spanish flair and an appreciation for the world that the French lack. We are extremely excited to be here right through the start.

Much, much more to come. Interviews, live videos, two live shows with guests, and much more. Stay on this thread for updates.

Nico Martinez photo of a very unique opening press conference - more like speed dating than the usual annoying affair - and this is perhaps my favorite offshore racer on earth, Pepe Ribes. Pepe is sailing with two-time Mini Transat podium winner Alex Pella on Estrella Damm. I first met him in Baltimore 2006 during the Volvo when Movistar was in the yard there. He would be the last man off the boat when she sank in the North Atlantic. Hilariously funny, has done three laps around the planet, two of them with Bouwe Bekking.

www.nicomartinez.com

BWR_101217nm_0136.jpg

Race skippers will be hoping that come start day, December 31st, mayor Jordi Hereuhas same hot line to the weather gods as he clearly had today when the city of Barcelona laid on its very best December weather as the mayor formally welcomed the skippers who will take part in the Barcelona World Race and opened the Moll Barcelona World Race Expo and the Race Fleet Pontoon.

With 12 days to count down until the race start, the sun warmed the Race Fleet Dock as the skippers and their teams assembled by their IMOCA Open 60’s relaxed and ready to meet the city mayor. In turn they were presented with their symbolic mooring lines and race flags.

Mayor Hereu opened the multi-faceted Expo, described by Fundació Navegació Oceánica Barcelona President Pere Alcober as a ‘great place for visitors to enjoy and learn the experiences of ocean racing.’

He greeted each of the skippers individually wished of them good luck and a safe race, before thanking all of the companies who sponsor and support this second edition of the Barcelona World Race, wished and inaugurated the colourful Expo which is open until 6th January.

The mayor called on visitors and the public to take to the beaches of Barceloneta on 31stDecember to give a huge farewell to the skippers for their round the world race.

Hereu was joined by representatives of the Fundació Navegació Oceànica Barcelona, the City council, Cambra de Comerç (Chamber of Commerce), Autoritat Portuària of Barcelona (The Port Authority)and Fira of Barcelona (Trades Associations Fair).

While the Expo was officially opened at 1300hrs, there had already been an early start for the skippers and also Spanish National Radio’s live programme ‘No es un dia cualqueira’ which broadcast from the Expo all morning from 0900hrs.

The skippers started a series of briefings, meeting with Andor Serra, director of the FNOB, to have a first seminar on the start day procedures and protocols, as well as briefings on the security and safety protocols. Race doctor Francesc Bonet was also president.

With the support of Grand Krust, who previously supported the Spanish heroes’ 49er programme, the skippers of Mapfre, Iker Martinez (ESP) and Xabi Fernandez (ESP), this morning donated more than half a tonne of hiqh quality seafood to charity which benefits people in need in and around their city of Santander where the duo base themselves.

And at 1615hrs the Swiss-French duo Dominique Wavre and his partner Michèle Paret had their IMOCA Open 60 MIrabaud, the Owen-Clarke design christened by soprano Ainoha Arteta who is the godmother for their programme.

Quotes:

Jordi Hereu (ESP): “This Barcelona World Race is in fact double the size of the first edition and it will keep growing. We will all follow your adventures and Barcelona relates to it not only only in sport but also with solidarity, from the perspective f environmental protection and education. Barcelona’s has always related to the rest of the world through the sea. And we thank the companies who have all supported the Barcelona World Race.”

Pere Alcober (ESP) President of the Fundació Navegació Oceánica Barcelona:

“The city looks to the sea, but not just the Mediterranean, but all of the oceans.”

“This Expo is a great place for visitors to learn and enjoy the experience of ocean racing.”

Alex Thomson (GBR) Hugo Boss: “It is great to have the official opening of the race village, the Moll Barcelona World Race, and to have the skippers here, and the boats lined up, it all feels now like we really are getting ready for the showdown in a couple of weeks. It is lovely here, nice and warm and a relaxing day, especially compared to the rest of Europe. When left Germany this morning at it was minus 13 degrees.”

Anna Corbella (ESP), GAES Centros Auditivos: “For me this feels like an important day, nice to meet the mayor and that really makes you feel like the city is with me and support me and that really feels good, and see the other skippers, but also for me it is one day less before the start, and that is more important. It is good because I want to start today. I am not nervous but I want to go. I know the day will arrive, but I am not nervous, just feeling impatient.”

Dominic Wavre (SUI): “ We have a wonderful godmother in Ainhoa Arteta who christened our boat with Gramona with a lot of conviction. She gives soul to the boat, to Mirabaud which is really important for us even if it is largely symbolic, it will not actually make us faster but for our personal feelings, and for Barcelona and Spain it is really great to have her as a godmother. It is great for the team and for our sponsors Mirabaud to have our wonderful soprano who will accompany us for all of the race.”

Xabi Fernandez (ESP) Mapfre: "This morning we write a cheque, but not with money, with seafood. Together with company called Grand Krust who we used to support us in our 49er, every year for the past five years we send seafood to a charity which helps the homeless in Santander. It used to be just the two of us in the 49er, but now we're a bigger team the weight is going up and up!"

Sailing with Ryan Breymaier & Boris Herrmann on Neutrogena today...a little difficult after a such a late night, but great to be out on the water again.

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED8.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED1.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED2.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED3.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED4.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED5.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED6.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-NEUTROGENA SAILING IN THE MED7.jpg

Looking to do a live show this week, got tons of great video. Front page story coming up as well for tonight. Here's Mich Des' co-skipper, the young Francois Gabard, from the 'press conference' that was more like speed dating.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=Francois Gabard Interview at the 2011 Barcelona World Race Start&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=276009919" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=WUsD1Iw~&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

And here is one of my favorite offshore sailors anywhere, Pepe Ribes. So nice and cool, I think he is having a baby in a few days, gone three times round the globe via Whitbread/Volvos, was the last guy off Movistar when she sank, and just an awesome bowman and cheerful dude. Sailing with Mini stud Alex Pella on Estrella Damm.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=Pepe Ribes Interview at the 2011 Barcelona World Race Start&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=276010222" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=WUsD1Iw~&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

And this is Ryan and Boris, you're hopefully getting to know them well. Young, good looking and well spoken, both of these guys have a bright future ahead for them. We'll have piles and piles more from these golden boys as the start gets closer, we had a great sail with them today in 6-8 knots and lumpy seas, but beautiful day for a sail.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=Ryan Breymaier and Boris Herrmann Interview at the 2011 Barcelona World Race Start&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=276010038" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=WUsD1Iw~&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

looking forward to the race, hopefully will catch the start. Amazing how far its come in what is only the second edition.

If I can find it, I might have to fire up the ol' Illudium WM 36 MeteoPrognosticating WeatherModulator for this one.

Press release

Barcelona, 21 December 2010

The yacht ‘Fruit’ will not start the Barcelona World Race

• The Polish yacht does not fulfill the safety requirements of the race rules

• Fourteen IMOCA Open 60’s will start

Having received communication that the Polish yacht Fruit has no valid, up-to-date IMOCA measurement certificate, and having now missed by four days the 17th December deadline by which all IMOCA Open 60’s entered were required to be in Barcelona, the organisers of the Barcelona World Race have decided that they have no other option but to communicate to the Fruit team that they will not be allowed to start the race.

“It is very hard to come to a decision like this, but we cannot compromise at all on fundamental issues concerning safety.” “We have every admiration for all of the efforts that the team have put in, and this is a really tough call to have to ask the team to halt their efforts to compete in the Barcelona World Race.” Comments Andor Serra (ESP), Director General of the Fundació Navegació Oceánica Barcelona, the race organizers.

The IMOCA Class confirm that the Polish yacht Fruit does not comply with the current measurement rules of the IMOCA class and so no measurement certificate can be issued, and no further testing is scheduled.

The class make the point that it is the skipper’s responsibility to make his boat comply with the IMOCA rule and currently the yacht does not meet the necessary requirements.

At present Fruit’s engine does not satisfy the IMOCA Open 60 rules’ minimum power prescription.

Although IMOCA Open 60’s are sailing yachts, use of the engine can be vital when manoeuvring at close quarters in any weather, in matters of safety and security, or when the yacht’s rig or sails are damaged.

With a less powerful engine security and safety is not guaranteed for manoeuvres when involved in matters concerning the skippers’

Security checks continue.

Meanwhile the majority of the Barcelona World Race fleet have completed or are very close to having completed safety and security scrutineering which was continuing today on the Race Fleet Dock at the Moll Barcelona World Race.

Even if two teams have had to buy replacements liferafts to comply with the up to date rules, for most with remaining issues to be resolved concern supplying administrative paperwork, but all must be fully compliant by the end of 23rd December.

Wow...this is going to be THE race. I so wish I was there to see the start!! Do I wish I was racing? Not really. Watching Ryan & Boris is already making me feel old... :lol:

If I can find it, I might have to fire up the ol' Illudium WM 36 MeteoPrognosticating WeatherModulator for this one.

that would be great :) really missed your great posts during some of the recent offshore races. dont have time to sit and gather the weather data, but personally i find it really helps explain the race and the tactics.

Aynone know why SAFRAN didn't join the BWR? It was certainly competitive in it's last race against the other IMOCA 60's.

A guess, and it is exactly htat, is Marc is not interested in the race. I know that Safran commited to the next Vendee Globe before Marc had even reached the finish line of the last one. However I believe Marc has not decided if HE wants to do it. So, I would guess that the BWR just does not flick his switch.

Like I say, it is a guess.

Clean, from your earlier post. Pepe had a baby boy a few weeks ago (maybe a month), all doing well. Alex T is the one waiting for his missus to drop in the New Year.

Aynone know why SAFRAN didn't join the BWR? It was certainly competitive in it's last race against the other IMOCA 60's.

A guess, and it is exactly htat, is Marc is not interested in the race. I know that Safran commited to the next Vendee Globe before Marc had even reached the finish line of the last one. However I believe Marc has not decided if HE wants to do it. So, I would guess that the BWR just does not flick his switch.

Like I say, it is a guess.

Clean, from your earlier post. Pepe had a baby boy a few weeks ago (maybe a month), all doing well. Alex T is the one waiting for his missus to drop in the New Year.

To add on Potter's excellent guess: last week on December 16th Safran in this P/R announced the launch of a further campaign with Marc towards the 2012 VG.

They clearly stated they had left time to Marc for thinking his own goals over, and that he had just given his final answer as YES.

Marc stated that " he wanted his own and the team's motivation and thirst for performance to remain the the same as last time, and also that his family support the project unreservedly. Once both these boxes had been ticked the decision was an easy one"

Obviously, the BWR did not fit in that time table.

Coming down with some kind of sinus infection, a short trip to the hospital and once again I wonder what the hell is wrong with the United States. Healthcare here is nationalized and I don't think I've ever had a better medical experience than my hour at the place here.

please STOP raining!! I want to go tomorrow to the race village, weather permitting.

Central Lechera Asturiana has a new mast

grande_86.jpg

http://imoca60clas.c...RIANA--ARBOLADO

Vander - you wish came true! Don't think its going to last though....

Vander - you wish came true! Don't think its going to last though....

Today it-s way sunnier, but also colder and windier. A day like this for the start would be amazing. Phantastic blu sky.

10mins ago

Here's a selection of photos from the past few days here in Barcelona, including our little trip sail testing with Neutrogena. Such a beautiful town, hope you like them!

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS1.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS2.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS3.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS4.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS5.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS6.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS7.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS8.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS9.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS10.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS11.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS12.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS13.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS14.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS15.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS16.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS17.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS18.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS19.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 4-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS20.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS1.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS2.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS3.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS4.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS5.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS6.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS7.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS8.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS9.jpg

BARCELONA WORLD RACE-DAY 5-MEREDITH BLOCK PHOTOS10.jpg

From team Neutrogena:

As their christmas gift and preparation for the Barcelona World Race, our boat captain Philoun's daughters, Juliette and Irene cut Ryan's hair!

And they did a superb job :-)

P1010404.jpg

What are your bettings?

In my opinion i think it will be very tight with the french boats Foncia, Groupe Bel an Virbac.

Then It will be another group following them close with the,President (They could be in the top group but they didn't have many time of preparation) Estrella Damm, Renault, Mapfre, Hugo Boss,

A middle group with GAES, Neutrogena an Mirabauld.

And very interesting group as well at the end With the "oldies" We are water, FMC (old Kingfisher), CLA (Old Mutua) changing a new mast configuratio 4 days before the start the don't have many chances to push the boat.

But How knows in this class it is so easy to have a failure in 3 months...

Bilou just pulled into town to play 'shore crew' for Ryan and Boris. Not bad!

Got a Google alert for South Maryland news:

ST. MARY’S CITY, Md. (December 15, 2010)—Ryan Breymaier, of Annapolis, was known for his drive and determination when he sailed the waters off St. Mary’s College of Maryland in his student days as a member of the college’s Offshore Sailing Team. In fact, he was nicknamed “Tarzan.” Today, he is preparing to circumnavigate the world in the gritty Barcelona World Race. The extreme sports race, sailed in super-light highly technical IMOCA Open 60 monohulls, begins December 31, and is scheduled to finish late next March. Breymaier is the only U.S. racer in the event, teaming with German Boris Herrmann aboard Neutrogena. Their boat is one of 15 representing eight nationalities to face the daunting task of completing 25,000 nautical miles around the globe.

“It only makes sense that a water-rat named Tarzan would eventually race one of the premier “he-man” races on the planet,” said St. Mary’s Coach Adam Werblow. “His friends at St. Mary’s could not be more proud of his accomplishments and can’t wait to hear about the adventure upon his safe return.”

Born in Washington, D.C., Breymaier, 35, graduated in 1997 with a B.A. in economics. He essentially relocated to France four years ago with his wife Nicola to pursue his life-long dream of racing. Short-handed sailing is dominated by Europeans, and many of them are national sports heroes. Breymaier will be the only U.S. entrant in the event.

“Over here, I’m now known as the young American pitting himself against the European legends but being encouraged by them at the same time,” said Breymaier, who worked for Neutrogena’s previous owner, Roland Bilou Jordain, who sailed the boat in the first edition of the Barcelona World Race. “I love the boats, I love the racing, and I love the challenge,” he added. Last year, he logged 20,000 miles on the boat, delivering it to various ports and competing in the Istanbul Europa Race (a crewed race around Europe) with Jordain.

The Barcelona World Race is the only race of its kind in the world and follows the Great Circle route (the shortest possible route traced across the map) past three capes: the Cape of Good Hope, Cape Leeuwin, and Cape Horn. Rounding any of the three is a badge of significant merit in the sailing world, but rounding them with only two sets of hands on a 60-foot boat and without the choice of holding back for severe weather is the greatest challenge.

For perspective, 11 crew members man the Open 70s used in the Volvo Ocean Race, another high profile around-the-world competition. “We have 10 less feet of length but nine less people on deck to do all the work,” explained Breymaier.

“The Barcelona World Race will be an ideal opportunity for me to challenge myself physically and mentally. “It will also give me the incredible chance to test myself against the best sailors in the world and to advance my skills and knowledge as a sailor, navigator, and tactician.”

Source: SMCM

Awesome, R. Just a heads up, I am going to move this thread to OTW forum so that non-registered members can see the photos and attachments. Will leave the bookmark up in Ocean Racing Anarchy and pin it.

Getting fun!

Another day on the water with Neutrogena calibrating instruments and troubleshooting the Hydrogenerators. Cold but sunny and pretty cool to work the coffee grinder with Bilou....

Off to skipper dinner at the hotel W, got tons of video today for our show on Friday.

What do two-time Route DuRhum winner Roland Jourdain, 3-time VOR crew Pepe Ribes, IMOCA President LucTalbordet, first-time RTW competitor Ryan Breymaier, 24-hour Open 60 speed record holder Alex Thompson, and noted preparateur Stan Delbarre have in common?<o:p></o:p>

They'll all be part of the liveOn-The-Water Anarchy "Cocktail Hour" today at around 13:30 CET to talk about the current and future state of Open 60 racing!

It's a spectacular group ofguys for the first Cocktail Hour we've done in ages, and we'll re-stream it for the folks who sleep through it as well as posting a link on the frontpage. You can watch right here at the right time, or go to www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchyto log in to the chat to ask your own questions of the panel.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="300" width="400" id="live_embed_player_flash" data="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/live_embed_player.swf?channel=onthewateranarchy" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/live_embed_player.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="channel=onthewateranarchy&auto_play=false&start_volume=25" /></object><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=WUsD1Iw~&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width:345px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>

Any credit to the recent rumor that Alex T. will not start in the BWR due to medical reasons ?

[EDIT] Apparently there is. According to PY Lautrou (http://twitter.com/PYL) , Alex went under the knife to day for apendicitis. Hugo Boss will have anther press conference tomorrow, 1:00 pm to announce their plans for the race.

M - talk about luck....

after the start and the "on the water" bit finishes will this thread move back to ocean racing where it belongs?

I have been debating starting a thread back in Ocean Racing Anarchy, as I struggle to get through all the video and photos with a bad internet connection.

Besides, speculation and bullshitting is what these forums are really for isn't it?

Very tough on Alex - he needs a finish now he cannot even start.

I hope Boss can draft someone in, I'd like to see the boat race

I have been debating starting a thread back in Ocean Racing Anarchy, as I struggle to get through all the video and photos with a bad internet connection.

Besides, speculation and bullshitting is what these forums are really for isn't it?

go for it, that will become the thread we all follow

Very tough on Alex - he needs a finish now he cannot even start.

I hope Boss can draft someone in, I'd like to see the boat race

Really gutted for Alex and kind of know how he must feel. I was due to do the Global Challenge a few years ago and had to pull out before the start with kidney failure. Not a nice feeling to be lying in your bed and watch a dream you have chased for years slip away.... Hope he gets well soon.

Speculation on The Daily Sail that Wouter Verbraak could be drafted in to replace Alex as he is in Barcelona working for Hugo Boss

go for it, that will become the thread we all follow

Maybe we could have three threads:

* one here for Mer's photos and OTW videos

* one in ocean racing anarchy for B2S' and others' routing comments and guesses

* one in ocean racing anarchy for gossips etc

C.

Team AT is still deciding what course to follow. I'll have info first thing in the morning. Huge bummer, I was pissed because I thought he'd blown off our Cocktail Hour talk show, but his excuse was certainly valid!

Here's the talk show. Considering we had no Alex and Pepe came late, it went pretty well.

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="412" width="550" id="clip_embed_player_flash" data="

http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" bgcolor="#000000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.justin.tv/widgets/archive_embed_player.swf" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="flashvars" value="auto_play=false&start_volume=25&title=The Internationalization Of The Open 60 Class&channel=onthewateranarchy&archive_id=276586481" /></object><br /><a href="http://www.justin.tv/onthewateranarchy#r=WUsD1Iw~&s=em" class="trk" style="padding:2px 0px 4px; display:block; width: 320px; font-weight:normal; font-size:10px; text-decoration:underline; text-align:center;">Watch live video from onthewateranarchy on Justin.tv</a>