Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil S

ZHIK MOTH WORLDS BELMONT

With the support of ZHIK and the NSW Govt Sport and Rec, the Australian International Moth Class will be welcoming the moth world to Belmont, a couple of hours north of Sydney. These days a Moth Worlds attracts a big media contingent as well as an increasing number of highly credentialled sailors. If you are not there you will ineviatbly hear more in January.

The entry list includes not only several past Moth World Champions but also current champions from 49er and Laser as well as the current 470 Gold medilist. Add that to some very well credentialed moth stalwarts and there is sure to be some great racing at the front of the fleet.

But the big murmur is about the new wing rigs from three different sources, including past WC Bora Gulari and International Measurer Adam May.

As a development class nothing much is specifically banned and while wing rigs have been considered in the past just how they are to be measured now they exist has been a hot topic in Association Management circles for a few months.

Belmont 16s is one of the biggest small boat sailing venues in Australia with fantastic facilities for sailors and spectators. Racing will be under the control of Peter Moor also a past Moth WC.

See http://www.mothworlds.org/belmont/ for all the details.

Name Sail Number Club

1 Peder Arvefors TBA brass

2 Emma Aspington TBA KSSS

3 Scott Babbage AUS 7 WSC

4 Peter Barton TBA Royal Lymington

5 Adam Beashel AUS 3638 SLMASC

6 Scott Beeby AUS 3676 NCYC

7 Dalton Bergan USA 5 Seattle YC

8 Lindsay Bergan USA 3592 Seattle YC

9 Andrew Budgen GBR 3769 WSC

10 Peter Burling NZL 3773 Tauranga

11 James Cole SIN 3711 Changi Sailing Club

12 Ben Crocker AUS 3777 WSC

13 Matt Crockett AUS 3582 LMYC

14 Nicholas Dallen AUS 3209 CYCA

15 Luka Damic AUS 3656 St George S.C.

16 Leigh Dunstan AUS 3288 Mornington Yacht Club

17 Jon Emonson AUS 3652 Merricks Yacht Club

18 Brent Frankcombe AUS 3685 Mornington

19 Fabien Froesch SUI 3622 SNG

20 Alan Goddard AUS 3655 Balmoral Sailing Club

21 Rob Gough AUS 3731 RYCT

22 Magnus Gravare TBA GKSS

23 Martin Gravare AUS 3666 GKSS

24 Robert Green AUS 3689 Darling Point Sailing Squadron

25 Bora Gulari USA 6 Bayview Yacht Club

26 John Harris AUS 3634 A18L, WSC

27 Richard Jackson AUS 3271 Mount Martha

28 Iain Jensen AUS 3709 belmont 16ft skiff SC

29 Philip Käsermann SUI 3729 SNG

30 Ryan Kelly AUS 3128 Adelaide Sailing Club, Wallaroo Sailing Club,

31 Matt Knowles USA 3596 Ida Lewis Yacht Club

32 Phil Kurts AUS 3719 Woollahra Sailing Club

33 Michael Lennon GBR 8 Hayling Island SC

34 Simon Liddington TBA Woollahra Sailing CLub

35 David Lister AUS 3657 St George

36 Will Logan AUS 3781 RYCT

37 Andrew McDougall AUS 2 Black Rock YC

38 Bruce McLeod AUS 3178 St. George Sailing Club

39 Ben Newling AUS 3784 WSC

40 Michael O'Shea IRL 3771 WSC

41 Bill Olsen AUS 3654 stgeorge

42 Nathan Outteridge AUS 3750 Belmont 16's, RSYS, WSC

43 Gerold Pauler TBA SLRV

44 Simon Payne GBR 1 Hayling Island

45 George Peet USA 3615 Bayview Yacht Club

46 James Phare GBR 3713 Queen Mary Sailing Club

47 Stuart Pollard AUS 9360 wsc/rsys

48 Arnaud Psarofaghis SUI 4 SNG

49 Mikis Psarofaghis SUI 3623 SNG

50 Benjamin Rankine AUS 3772 Tinaroo Sailing Club

51 Christopher Rast TBA SWYC/RCO/TYC

52 Mark Robinson AUS 3700 CYCA

53 Patrick Ruf SUI 3797 YCA

54 Warren Sare AUS 3783 Woollahra Sailing Club

55 Jens Schoenberg TBA SCR

56 Jack Sherring AUS 3717 Southport Yacht Club

57 Steven Sherring AUS 3636 Southport Yacht Club

58 Graham Simmonds GBR 3605 Hayling Island Sailing Club

59 Lea Sitja TBA Woollahra Sailing Club

60 Tom Slingsby AUS 3786 Gosford sailing club

61 Colin Spence AUS 3573 South of Perth Yacht Club

62 Emma Spiers AUS 3770 Woollahra Sailing Club

63 Phil Stevenson AUS 3653 StGeorge SC

64 Les Thorpe AUS 9318 BYRA

65 Joe Turner AUS 3639 Manly 16ft Skiff

66 Clive Watts AUS 3658 St Geo

67 Jeremy Wilmot TBA Middle Harbour 16ft\'s

Mick O'Shea certainly sounds Irish when he talks, looks Irish and gave us an Irish address but he has been sailing moths in Sydney for a couple of years. Maybe he plans to take it home one day?

Been doing some quick stats based upon entries received as well as a couple of WA and Vic boats that have said they are coming but yet to enter:

- 54% of fleet are in Mach2s

- 66% of the fleet are likely to be running KA sails as their primary sail

- 74% hail from the great southern land

- 5% of the entries are women

- 4% of the entries are juniors

- McConnaghy dominates the masts at 40% with CST around 30%.

These stats however isn't taking into account any unknown new boats or people who have entered as TBA.

This is to the best of my knowledge, if I could upload the excel spreadsheet to here I would welcome people to correct it. I will continue to update these stats as entries come in and will provide the final "who's running what" spreadsheet to anyone upon request.

Mick O'Shea certainly sounds Irish when he talks, looks Irish and gave us an Irish address but he has been sailing moths in Sydney for a couple of years. Maybe he plans to take it home one day?

Ah... The Irish sail number is what got me..

Just saw there's one for sale in Dublin at the moment, I want it bad :P

Only one kiwi entry at present?! Would have thought a few more cuzzy bro's would make it over the ditch.

Man you guys are tough on the Kiwi's...

Ever played rugby against the buggers,they don't let up.......it's payback time

@Bruce. Hopefully this time it floats, that will be a big improvement! :lol:

I've cobbled it back together with bits and pieces I had lying around the shed (and some I didn't - thanks PhilS)

No more forward c/case, wishbone boom or aero wing bars, just a standard wing frame over a convex hull.

I have kept my trademark Coke bottle top bung system however.

End of November now around the world and normal entries have closed with 112 moths registered.

If everyone turns up this will be the biggest Moth Worlds since the class became international in the 1960s.

Numbers:

AUS 77, USA 9, GBR 8, Sui 6, SWE 3, JAP 3, GER 2, NZL 2, IRE 1, SIN 1.

Late entries still expected should make a huge regatta.

112 moths, possibly with up to 6 or 7 wing rigs, rigging at the same time on the grass at Belmont... sounds like fun.

I get 57 Mach2's entered already... so aside from one silver one (Jack Sherring) and one white one, how on earth will people manage to tell them apart!?!

Also, any suggestions as to where to get nationality/name stickers done? Donosan?

There is a yellow Mach2 from WSC.

My black one should be easy to spot as it will probably be upside down on the laylines =)

Ha, I thought the Mach2 principle was "you can have any colour as long as it's clear carbon"? :P

I'm going to have fun at this worlds - going to be hard to tell between me and Dave, except he'll be the one right at the pointy end of the fleet kicking arse and I'll be the blue boat next to you Rob! :)

I am assured that Belmont will have more grass after demolishing one of the old homes they owned. But we managed to get only 38 moths on the old lawn at easter so 112 will be a squeeze even if the area is doubled. Got to stay close for the after race barbeque and presentations at the ZKIK media tent.

First warm up event starts monday at the Sydney International Regatta. Charlie McKee is the only OS entry but competition should be hot amoungst the strong Woollahra Mach 2 fleet.

The SIR and following weekend's heat of NSW champs at StGeorge should give an indication of which local boats are on pace. There still seems to be a lot of building going on.

Jon, we might just have more fun in the B fleet fighting it out for 56th without all the pressure of the fast guys trying to win the championship. Looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be at leat some of the other 60 mach2 in the B fleet with us Rob.

Les trivial, now with my IMCAA hat on.

Message to entrants:

I still have about 35 of the 112 entries with entry fees outstanding, and of the AUS entries I have 30 who have not renewed their IMCA Aust memebrship.(or joined for the first time in some cases.)

Please all do the transfers asap as I do not want to be handling money at the regatta. We have No credit card facility.

Funny you should mention that Phil, 56th would be a dream for me at this stage, given that at best I've got 4 days of alphabet to carry due to having to bail on the 11th to make it over to Perth to start work on the 17th...

Still, there is no way in hell I am missing this event. I'll be among the crowd of tinkerers that the wingo's will have to arm themselves with a taser in order to stop me from taking too many pics :S

PS Phil - will transfer money as soon as work stops messing my pay up!

There is a yellow Mach2 from WSC.

My black one should be easy to spot as it will probably be upside down on the laylines =)

Along with my Red Prowler... which is used to being at the front of the pack, but not with this Gumby driving it.

As Phil says, I reckon the B Fleet is going to be red hot too (just a bit slower and with more carnage). At least once the fleet splits those of us non-pro, new to the class sailors can race without fearing that we are about to ruin someones chance at a world championship by capsizing onto them as they overtake us.

can't wait, going to be a great start to a life changing year.

Cheers

SW

Looking forward to this event big time. Usually sail around on my moth by myself 95% of the time, so can't imagine what 100+ boats will be like.

But we managed to get only 38 moths on the old lawn at easter so 112 will be a squeeze even if the area is doubled.

I had a peek at the A-cat worlds a few years ago held at Belmont, they had 94 boats + spares etc and they all seemed to fit ok. A few containers tucked up the back.

The space problem for moths is that we all capsize the boat on shore to fit the foils. We then carry the whole boat on its side into the water, balanced on one shoulder, not a heavy load but a cumbersome one. This is much better than putting boats in the water upright, walking out to foil depth, capsizing to fit foils, losing pins and heavy foils sinking, and all together blocking access to the lake for everyone else who is trying to launch.

ACat upright needs 5.5m x 2.3m plus walking space. Moth capsized needs 7.3m x 4m with foils atached.

Phil, We had 50 16's and 22 13's rigging last January without the new lawn south of the change shed. Don't forget the grass area north of the club along The Parade.

I note that the low point scoring system is to be used. It seems to me that this system is unfair for competitors who start a race but get a DNF for whatever reason (15:01 behind the winner, broken gear, etc.) as they get the same score as someone who doesn't even leave the beach.

To me, it would be fairer if DNF was the number that started + 1.

Any chance the above might be considered?

--

Rob

I note that the low point scoring system is to be used. It seems to me that this system is unfair for competitors who start a race but get a DNF for whatever reason (15:01 behind the winner, broken gear, etc.) as they get the same score as someone who doesn't even leave the beach.

--

Rob

Isn't it grand prix style scoring? So all the 3 laps finishers are scored in order of finishing 3 laps, and then the same for those who only do 2 laps, and then 1 lap. So if you complete 1 lap you are better off compared to staying on the beach.

We have an F1 finish system. If you get lapped by the leader, you finish on the lap you're on.

If you don't get around your last lap within the time limit, your finish place will be the last rounding on the bottom mark.

So if you break something on lap 2 of 4, you will be behind all the people who did 4 laps, all the people who did 3 laps, and in front of anyone who rounded behind you on the 2nd lap, and only completed 2.

Complicated enough without having to determine exactly who starts in each race in order to determine the difference between a DNS and a DNF.

I think it will be fair enough for boats through the fleet.

We have an F1 finish system. If you get lapped by the leader, you finish on the lap you're on.

If you don't get around your last lap within the time limit, your finish place will be the last rounding on the bottom mark.

So if you break something on lap 2 of 4, you will be behind all the people who did 4 laps, all the people who did 3 laps, and in front of anyone who rounded behind you on the 2nd lap, and only completed 2.

Complicated enough without having to determine exactly who starts in each race in order to determine the difference between a DNS and a DNF.

I understand the SIs aren't up yet, but are we doing 4 lap races as opposed to 3? Going to get dizzy with all these laps. Lake is big enough to have longer legs for 3. Probably need the longer distance legs to minimise (only a little) top mark rounding chaos on the first lap.

I understand the SIs aren't up yet, but are we doing 4 lap races as opposed to 3? Going to get dizzy with all these laps. Lake is big enough to have longer legs for 3. Probably need the longer distance legs to minimise (only a little) top mark rounding chaos on the first lap.

Provision to do 1, 2, 3, 4 laps depending on conditions etc.

Sounds great, much better than a time limit thought more complicated for race officials, but that suits me. :-)

--

Rob

All Australian moth nationals have used that system for the last few years. It is really necessary given the speed difference between all moths (scows, low riders & foilers) if you want to sail multiple races in a day.

The issue is that if you DNF on lap 1 you are effectively DNS.But that is solved with a quick chat to the comittee

Phil, We had 50 16's and 22 13's rigging last January without the new lawn south of the change shed. Don't forget the grass area north of the club along The Parade.

Just remember to bring your boots for walking out through all the seaweed - there's one or two unsavoury creatures love living in the weed and the mud...

Tell me about it!

A Bull Rout got me last time I was there - the most intense pain I've ever felt.

The trick is to use a hot pack on the wound, not a cold pack like I did.

The barb went straight through my wetsuit boots, hopefully some new thicker rubber ones will do the trick this time?

It's Bullrout heaven, particularly on the west side of the club....

Bullrout stings seem pretty similar those of the Stonefish we get in Moreton Bay. Definitely something to avoid.

--

Rob

Tell me about it!

A Bull Rout got me last time I was there - the most intense pain I've ever felt.

The trick is to use a hot pack on the wound, not a cold pack like I did.

The barb went straight through my wetsuit boots, hopefully some new thicker rubber ones will do the trick this time?

Hey, it's better than the fucking MRSA bacteria that were lurking in Dubai! How's the visibility?

br400.jpg

Oh, and who was the genius who doubted my front page story a month or two ago that predicted 'strong triple digit entries'?

I've sailed there about 50 races over the years and never heard of a bull rout. Maybe it's because I've always rigged on the eastern side of the club?

Bullrout: never heard the name before. Might have known them as stone fish. But after sailing in a lot of places along the east coast including many times at Lake Macquarie I have never had a problem, never remember seeing anyone hurt by one or even heard about it. I do not misstrust Greg's reported experience, and I might have even been at the regatta when he was hurt but it has not left a lasting memory. Certainly not a common event.

The south end of the lake has had razer shellfish for a couple of years but afik they have not reached Belmont.

The water is not clear enough to see what you are walking on, some weed and some muddy bottom, plus the wavess keep it all stirred up..

People sail out of Belmont 16s every weekend and every January they host a bundle of championship regattas. Nothing to really worry about.

Maybe its the bullrouts which keep away the razer shells as well as the bunyips and drop bears.

(Jack: your emails are failing so contact me if you want to lease your boat for the WC)

Phil:

Drop bears are EVERYWHERE, and always when you least expect them.

Only best we warn our overseas visitors by showing this informative video (apologies for the quality).

The Black Cans can have you imagining all sorts of things are out to get you after 1 too many.

19 sleeps to christmas... ok whatever. 29 Sleeps to Moth Worlds however. I know which countdown I am on!

Just need to get off this damn ship and get some training in.

Cheers

SW

The space problem for moths is that we all capsize the boat on shore to fit the foils. We then carry the whole boat on its side into the water, balanced on one shoulder, not a heavy load but a cumbersome one. This is much better than putting boats in the water upright, walking out to foil depth, capsizing to fit foils, losing pins and heavy foils sinking, and all together blocking access to the lake for everyone else who is trying to launch.

ACat upright needs 5.5m x 2.3m plus walking space. Moth capsized needs 7.3m x 4m with foils atached.

Yes, and more or less you walk to the water blinded by the tramp. Needs good comrades to get into deeper water without knocking anyone else. Worked very good at Silvaplana with very long shores lines and abt. 85 sailors spread over a big area. I think no worries as it always sorts out itself. Just guess the space we need at a DN World Championship with about 180 - 210 competitors.

[

....the fucking MRSA bacteria that were lurking in Dubai! How's the visibility?

br400.jpg

Clean, those are the bacteria living in the pink, aren´t they?

I've sailed there about 50 races over the years and never heard of a bull rout. Maybe it's because I've always rigged on the eastern side of the club?

I'm with you Jack - I call bullshit on the bullrout!

Down there for a regatta last weekend - nope - no bullrout bites.

Probably 50 kids from the sailing school swimming around the launching area - nope - nothing. Just some weed.

Now the squids are another story. Saw one kid come in with a squid wrapped around his neck, and his whole boat stained up with ink.

Yea but there are unlikely to be crocodiles unless the queenslanders bring some down with them.

Yea but there are unlikely to be crocodiles unless the queenslanders bring some down with them.

We use crocs to keep the tiger sharks at bay... but the bloody man-eating dugongs are another story altogether.

--

Rob

hey guys,

i am considering taking my wife up to watch the worlds, i was wondering whether any of you know where will a good place to watch from shore? will the racing be close to shore or is it going to be more in the middle?

cheers

rob

Where the courses fit will be dependant on the wind direction somewhat. We will have two W/L courses side by side so we will need a wide area as well of being clear of upwind obstacles. My guess is the club verandah will be as good as anywhere most of the time, but Marks Point or the old Quarry might be better at some times.

It's been more than a year since the last shark I saw in Belmont Bay. We had about five 16s capsized off Green Point at the same time. Some smart arse on an upright boat yelled shark. We all laughed, swam around, righted the boat and looked around to see the fin about 10 meters behind us. It was only a hammerhead.

Best viewing is from the club verandah, a short stroll to the gazeaway bar (an old 16 with a glass top) generally at one end of the course, or Green Point reserve near the reef, on the north side of the bay, halfway up the course.

The first warm up regatta is over with Scott Babbage coming out strongly on top.

Sail Sydney included some strong and light days and the fleet of 20 included past winner Charlie MaKee and past WC winners John Harris and Chris Dey, who is finding foiling challenging after time out of the class.

Good showing by young Josh McKnight and not so young Rob Gough.

See http://www.sailsydney.org.au/

Anyone know of any boats coming from OS that aren't heading back (looking to pick up a used boat and wondering if anyone is planning on selling after).

The first warm up regatta is over with Scott Babbage coming out strongly on top.

Sail Sydney included some strong and light days and the fleet of 20 included past winner Charlie MaKee and past WC winners John Harris and Chris Dey, who is finding foiling challenging after time out of the class.

Good showing by young Josh McKnight and not so young Rob Gough.

See http://www.sailsydney.org.au/

It's hard to believe anyone but a foiler will win this to be honest :P

Iced Tea: all except one of the 113 entrants is a foiler.

The one out is Ian Sim's Scow, he might only get one lap a race but he has not missed a big moth regatta in maybe 25 years or even more. Ian and his boat Smith are a solid component of Australian Mothing tradition. He will be one of the first rigged every morning and will have full wet suit + wooley jumpers on even the hottest days. An icon.

post-8573-040264600 1292099317_thumb.jpg

Oh, and who was the genius who doubted my front page story a month or two ago that predicted 'strong triple digit entries'?

Me. It's good to get a fleet that big - if they all show up.

What will you write if they don't all show?

Edit.... This might interest you - if you get here.

yea i bet a bunch of people paid the $350 entry fee just for the hell of it, no plans to go

Me. It's good to get a fleet that big - if they all show up.

What will you write if they don't all show?

Edit.... This might interest you - if you get here.

yea i bet a bunch of people paid the $350 entry fee just for the hell of it, no plans to go

Except it appears that a bunch of people HAVEN'T paid the $350 entry fee. Phil S can elaborate I think.

The one out is Ian Sim's Scow, he might only get one lap a race but he has not missed a big moth regatta in maybe 25 years or even more. Ian and his boat Smith are a solid component of Australian Mothing tradition. He will be one of the first rigged every morning and will have full wet suit + wooley jumpers on even the hottest days. An icon.

Big + 1 on that one Phil!

Ian and Smith predate my time inthe class and my First worlds were on the lake at Sunshine in 1994! He has a remarkable pasion for the class and you would have to go a long way to find a nicer guy to sit down and have a beer with too.

On that topic, Aus mothies also need to pony up and join their respective state associations!

Also, there's still a call out there for volunteers to help with things like measurement and sign in before AUS nationals and worlds. Contact Scott (foilr) for more info.

113 registered on line entries. 95 have paid entry fees and money is coming in from others every day. Some delays due to NABank's system glitch this week, but its trickling in.

IMCA membership is a bit slower with 80 paid up including assumed membership of all overseas entrants, yet to be confirmed by their national secretaries. There are a lot of new moth sailors in the AUS contingent who have been slow to join the association but after the entry fee, another $65 is a cheap deal and I will make sure I get their $ before they race. (or I'll put John McAteer on the case and no-one has escaped his determination in quite a few years) There may also be some who have paid their dues to their state association and I have not yet received it nationally.

So yes we might lose a few of the 113 due to changes of plans but we might also gain a few others who are still procrasinating.

Its still going to be the biggest moth regatta ever in Aust and maybe the world through over 75 years of class history.

113 registered on line entries. 95 have paid entry fees and money is coming in from others every day. Some delays due to NABank's system glitch this week, but its trickling in.

IMCA membership is a bit slower with 80 paid up including assumed membership of all overseas entrants, yet to be confirmed by their national secretaries. There are a lot of new moth sailors in the AUS contingent who have been slow to join the association but after the entry fee, another $65 is a cheap deal and I will make sure I get their $ before they race. (or I'll put John McAteer on the case and no-one has escaped his determination in quite a few years) There may also be some who have paid their dues to their state association and I have not yet received it nationally.

So yes we might lose a few of the 113 due to changes of plans but we might also gain a few others who are still procrasinating.

Its still going to be the biggest moth regatta ever in Aust and maybe the world through over 75 years of class history.

Way back in about 1966 or so there was a Moth Worlds at Black Rock. I sailed in the Invitation race. That was a big fleet. Does anyone remember how many. I think it was won by David Mackay of Sydney.

sorry, I meant to write anyone but a wing sail

My bad....

phil -- what's the record for boats at a moth worlds? think we can beat it?

rts: Until we get an anwer to Johnysaint's question, the recent records are Sunshine 1995 (Axman type dominated and Emmett Lasich won) with 95 boats and Weymouth 2008 (a Bladerider year and John Harris won) with 98.

We are well on track to beat both.

Icetea: There is still no answer as to whether the wings will be allowed to race. IMCA and ISAF beaurocracy seem to be working at snails pace. Tensions are building in Bora's camp as the container nears arrival in Aust.

My personal preparation took a blow on Saturday. 9kg ply hulls are not quite strong enough.

post-8573-078465700 1292190279_thumb.jpg

Fortunatly I have been loaned a replacement hull and wings for the regatta. Working now to fit my foils and rig.

rts: Until we get an anwer to Johnysaint's question, the recent records are Sunshine 1995 (Axman type dominated and Emmett Lasich won) with 95 boats and Weymouth 2008 (a Bladerider year and John Harris won) with 98.

Icetea: There is still no answer as to whether the wings will be allowed to race. IMCA and ISAF beaurocracy seem to be working at snails pace. Tensions are building in Bora's camp as the container nears arrival in Aust.

My personal preparation took a blow on Saturday. 9kg ply hulls are not quite strong enough.

Fortunatly I have been loaned a replacement hull and wings for the regatta. Working now to fit my foils and rig.

I do remember that in the '66/67/?? Worlds one had to qualify, the Nats immediately prior being the qual. series. (that's how I was able to borrow a boat for the inv. race) Same applied to the Nats - XX numer of boats from each state. There were a bloody lot of Moths there but I can't remember how many.

One bloke who might remember is Leigh Dorrington who sailed one back then.

In your time there would have been qualifying series in each state to choose 12 reps each for the nationals. So the nationals were limited to 72 boats. If this number was cut again for the worlds then the total with overseas boats may not have been so great.

These days we fly the boats around in compact boxes but even so we have only 35 overseas entrants. Earlier shipping methods might change these numbers up or down?

But there is a chance that 66/7 was a big year and it might have been similar to the 113 we have for January,

Hi Phil

Was the hull in the photo the unstayed rig version, I've lost track along the way...

In your time there would have been qualifying series in each state to choose 12 reps each for the nationals. So the nationals were limited to 72 boats. If this number was cut again for the worlds then the total with overseas boats may not have been so great.

These days we fly the boats around in compact boxes but even so we have only 35 overseas entrants. Earlier shipping methods might change these numbers up or down?

But there is a chance that 66/7 was a big year and it might have been similar to the 113 we have for January,

The bloke who might remember is David Mackay. (if he's still around - he would be in his late 60s) I think he has/had a marine business on Botany Bay or Port Hacking. One of you Sydney guys might be able to find out.

For those who missed this post in "Moth Wing #2 Bora":

http://forums.sailin...c=114387&st=175

--

Rob

Phil

Ever heard of stickyback - fixes everything

when is news of amac's project gonna break

When it's too late for anybody to try to order one, so he doesn't have to "dissapoint" certain people! ;)

Jethrow,

Not the unstayed KARMA version, its on loan and has stays now anyway, similar geometry. It was based on Thorpe built HT so was a bit stronger than 2mm plywood. Hull failed due to forestay tension transmitted down the keel, much like One Australia, but mine did not sink.

Paul,

StG racing again next saturday.

Goat, I have empathy with Wolfy, without the trauma of being run over. My moth was never going to last 19 years like the Foxy Lady. Enjoyed the rides on it at Geelong 2008.

Bora:

All I know is AMAC has designed a wide mast which will support a soft sail. No idea if its built or waiting for the IMCA/ISAF decision. No idea how wide it is or if it will be offered later as a Mach 2 option. It would seem prudent to test it in the regatta first anyway.

The tall wing planned for sydney is not being built at this stage.

When and where does your container land in AUS?

However I have permission of the owner and builder to bring another wide moth mast to Belmont. It is not 6.25m long, it is about 500mm wide and it was made of alloy and plywood in the 1980s I think. It was not a race winner , maybe because it was a bit heavy, but it did not cause a big measurement storm at the time. It may help convince the sceptics that nothing is really new in the moth class and that modern measurers can learn a bit from the old hands and the class' history.

Jethrow,

Not the unstayed KARMA version, its on loan and has stays now anyway, similar geometry. It was based on Thorpe built HT so was a bit stronger than 2mm plywood. Hull failed due to forestay tension transmitted down the keel, much like One Australia, but mine did not sink.

Paul,

StG racing again next saturday.

Goat, I have empathy with Wolfy, without the trauma of being run over. My moth was never going to last 19 years like the Foxy Lady. Enjoyed the rides on it at Geelong 2008.

Bora:

All I know is AMAC has designed a wide mast which will support a soft sail. No idea if its built or waiting for the IMCA/ISAF decision. No idea how wide it is or if it will be offered later as a Mach 2 option. It would seem prudent to test it in the regatta first anyway.

The tall wing planned for sydney is not being built at this stage.

When and where does your container land in AUS?

However I have permission of the owner and builder to bring another wide moth mast to Belmont. It is not 6.25m long, it is about 500mm wide and it was made of alloy and plywood in the 1980s I think. It was not a race winner , maybe because it was a bit heavy, but it did not cause a big measurement storm at the time. It may help convince the sceptics that nothing is really new in the moth class and that modern measurers can learn a bit from the old hands and the class' history.

Phil the container should be at Belmont in about 3 days which is when I am showing up. If you and your son would like to come see what we have built I would love to show you.

Regarding amac's solution I heard it has "tons" of controls which should be interesting.

Very busy time of year Bora. I will try to make a trip next week. Andrew needs to wait for the WORD from Robbo before attempting to measure it.

Bora:

Phil the container should be at Belmont in about 3 days which is when I am showing up. If you and your son would like to come see what we have built I would love to show you.

Regarding amac's solution I heard it has "tons" of controls which should be interesting.

As of last Sunday the public position was that McConaghy's had taken on some work on a lead mine and it was unlikely to be completed. Fortunately AMAC's old enough to remember the full history of the moth class so it should measure when it is built. Sounds like an interesting concept however.

Some more info on the regatta.

We have a two day nationals on the 5th and 6th. all in one fleet with about 90 starters.

The worlds start on the 8th and goes to the 14th. We plan on three days of qualifying in two fleets of 50-60 followed by a rest day and then three days of Gold fleet and silver fleet.

All race days are intended to have 3 back to back races in the afternoon, but extra races, morning races and racing on the rest day may happen if the weather gets us behind schedule.

The course is all windward leeward with inner and outer courses from one start line but with separate finish lines/leeward marks. The outer course get to do a reach between the first and second top marks, luck guys. Who goes first (and gets the outer course) each race is up to the Race Officer, 1975 WC Peter Snubby Moor.

The SIs are all drafted, approved and ready for posting but they will not be released until we get the ISAF verdict on wing rigs, just in case we need to add something to validate or clarify the decision. See the thread on Bora's wing for more info, skip the bull and read the moth people's posts.

People with moths will be on site soon, practicing, testing, adjusting, breaking and repairing things.

Time to revive this thread and kill at least one other.

Boats are on site and a lot more will be there over the next few days.

We measured 11 sails today in Sydney, lots more to be done at Belmont as well as a lot of boats and the three wings. Still waiting for ISAF or IMCA instruction on just how they will be measured.

For info of mothies:

Those with new MSL 13 sails be warned that all measured so far are 8.02 and need a foot round trim. New MSL10s are coming out at about 7.95. We are accepting sign off from previos measurers, so most older sails are OK, but all the hotshots have new ones of course.

Measurer's fee applies at the regatta, as does late fee so get those unpaid entries in via bank transfers before I dissapoint you at registration.

Still a few AUS entrants not renewed they IMCA membership too.

SIs available soon. Do not expect surprises, most of the relevant info is in above posts. Basically waiting for text of the wing ruling.

For info of mothies:

Those with new MSL 13 sails be warned that all measured so far are 8.02 and need a foot round trim. New MSL10s are coming out at about 7.95. We are accepting sign off from previos measurers, so most older sails are OK, but all the hotshots have new ones of course.

Measurer's fee applies at the regatta, as does late fee so get those unpaid entries in via bank transfers before I dissapoint you at registration.

Phil:

sent Scott an e-mail about this but you may be able to answer quicker. Recent e-mail from the event requests the measurement form for each previously measured sail needs to be provided at registration. Your comment quoted above suggest that the sign off on the bottom of the sail with the area, date and measurers signature will do.

Can you confirm we don't need the measurement form for previously measured sails?

both my sails are 2nd hand, so getting the paperwork may be impossible.

What "re-measurement" would i need to have done if I change sail numbers on my new to me 2nd hand sail to my boats sail numbers?

See you in a few days!

cheers

SW

To go back a bit, I asked my dad how many moths were at the 68-69 nationals in Adelaide which he sailed in, he could not be sure of the total number but state teams were limited to 6 sailors plus automatic inclusion of the national champion. NT did not have any moths.

Over at Nedlands YC (Perth) they raced on a sunday, all the other moth yacht clubs raced on Saturday, so on the Ssunday all the other boats joined in at Nedlands creating an A and B fleet with 80 starters each !... then for the WA state selections for the 68-69 nationals he said there was 300 boats from all over the state looking to qualify.

The national champ (Brian Plumb) did not make the top 6 WA boats, but did have automatic selection.... dad came