Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

Last race of the year this Wednesday :( I assume we will all be out there.

Hroth

I think Peter needs to take the Fall Challenge out on the big lake!

TODAY

Morning Showers

Windy & Cold

Variable Cloudiness

HIGH:

LOW:

WINDS:
W 15-25 mph (& gusty)

LAKE MICHIGAN

(through tonight)

(late tonight through Thursday)

WINDS:
W 15-35 knots

WAVES
: building 7-11 feet

Epic last night. Lots of amazing photos and videos were taken on the pontoon boat. I'm sure they will start posting soon.

Amazing.....

Very cool picture, thanks for sharing. (and for not showing all the other boats in front of us!)

Hell of a way to end the season, played keel watcher because I fractured six ribs windsurfing last week.

Fun times!

Any chance you've got the rest of the pics from Wed posted somewhere else? I recall some amazing shots of the sky closer to the channel. BTW, "nice work" to the 'Toon Crew for getting Deja Vu packed up safely.

BUMP!

Boats must be out of the water and everyone is too depressed about it to post!

Anybody hear from Fetzer? Do they start racing tomorrow (thurs)?

GTFP!

Anyone have the story on the Deja Vu collision?

Well...It was a port-starboard collision. We were approximately 3 boat lengths to windward and stalling before the start so as not be over the line. DejaVu appeared to be headed toward the line below us on starboard and Albion was coming in on a port tack reach. Neither boat appeared to see each other but it did look like there was some last second attempt to maneuver to avoid a collision. Not sure where they hit exactly but the collision was violent and Deja Vu's mast came down almost immediately. Later in the bar the Deja Vu skipper said the collision snapped their forestay and that's why the mast came down. Ugly incident but no one was hurt. We stayed in hover mode for a minute or so to make sure they were OK before taking off. The tooner came to their assistance and the race went on.

Hroth

It was .... Human Sacrifice, dogs and cats sleeping together, MASS HYSTERIA!

PEERLESS Just crossed the line, First (mono) to Finish in the Harvest Moon Regatta to Galvaston TX!! 200+ boats, 150 miles! Representing West Michigan sailing pretty well I'd say!! Congrats to Fetzer and Crew!!

GGGGGTFP!!!

PEERLESS Just crossed the line, First (mono) to Finish in the Harvest Moon Regatta to Galvaston TX!! 200+ boats, 150 miles! Representing West Michigan sailing pretty well I'd say!! Congrats to Fetzer and Crew!!

GGGGGTFP!!!

Awsome 1st to finish!

Congrats

GTFP!

Glad everyone was ok, but it didn't look like the scratches were going to buff out. :(

+1-nice work, congrats!!!

Sorry wrong post by bad! Congrats was supposed to go to Peerless for the excellent job at the HMR.

I

I'm down here as well, word was Peerless finished 100 yards just in front of the SC 50.

I was wondering because the tracker on the SC50 shut off just before the finish and they were not ever noted as finishing but knew they must have. Thanks for filling us in.

NOR and Entry Form on MYC site. No instructions on how to submit entry though. NOR says 10am skipper meeting and 10:30 start. Assuming entry forms will be turned in at the club on Saturday. Details here.

NOR and Entry Form on MYC site. No instructions on how to submit entry though. NOR says 10am skipper meeting and 10:30 start. Assuming entry forms will be turned in at the club on Saturday. Details here.

Fill it out and bring it to the skipper's meeting. Try to show up around 9:30 or so and turn it in. Helps the RC to be a bit early so they can make up the brackets.

Be there ... it'll be fun!

Haz

Wave forecast for Tuesday Afternoon!! This is hard to say but, I am really glad my BD is snug as a bug inside right now!

post-15596-0-34031000-1351519497_thumb.jpg

Wave forecast for Tuesday Afternoon!! This is hard to say but, I am really glad my BD is snug as a bug inside right now!

That looks like 'fun' ... maybe we should break out the Lasers, launch at Benton Harbor, and have someone waiting at Warren Dunes with a catchers mitt!

Maybe not

That looks like 'fun' ... maybe we should break out the Lasers, launch at Benton Harbor, and have someone waiting at Warren Dunes with a catchers mitt!

Maybe not

Maybe the Peerless crew should take a side trip on their way home from Texas? Could be faster than trailering down the highway...

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

WEDNESDAY EVENING...

.REST OF TODAY...NORTH WINDS TO 30 KT INCREASING TO GALES TO

40 KT THIS AFTERNOON. WAVES 8 TO 12 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 17 FT

BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 19 FT.

.TONIGHT...NORTH GALES TO 45 KT INCREASING TO STORM FORCE WINDS

TO 50 KT LATE. WAVES 14 TO 18 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 24 FT BUILDING TO

18 TO 23 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 31 FT OVERNIGHT.

.TUESDAY...NORTH STORM FORCE WINDS TO 50 KT. STORM FORCE GUSTS TO

55 KT POSSIBLE DURING THE MORNING. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE

MORNING...THEN CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 20 TO 25

FT OCCASIONALLY TO 33 FT.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...NORTH GALES TO 45 KT EASING TO 40 KT GALES LATE.

CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 20 TO 25 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 33 FT

SUBSIDING TO 15 TO 20 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 28 FT LATE.

...GALE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH

WEDNESDAY EVENING...

.REST OF TODAY...NORTH WINDS TO 30 KT INCREASING TO GALES TO

40 KT THIS AFTERNOON. WAVES 8 TO 12 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 17 FT

BUILDING TO 10 TO 14 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 19 FT.

.TONIGHT...NORTH GALES TO 45 KT INCREASING TO STORM FORCE WINDS

TO 50 KT LATE. WAVES 14 TO 18 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 24 FT BUILDING TO

18 TO 23 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 31 FT OVERNIGHT.

.TUESDAY...NORTH STORM FORCE WINDS TO 50 KT. STORM FORCE GUSTS TO

55 KT POSSIBLE DURING THE MORNING. SLIGHT CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE

MORNING...THEN CHANCE OF SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. WAVES 20 TO 25

FT OCCASIONALLY TO 33 FT.

.TUESDAY NIGHT...NORTH GALES TO 45 KT EASING TO 40 KT GALES LATE.

CHANCE OF SHOWERS. WAVES 20 TO 25 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 33 FT

SUBSIDING TO 15 TO 20 FT OCCASIONALLY TO 28 FT LATE.

Should be interesting to watch the readings on the south mid lake bouy.

Congrats to fyschebone for having the winning entry in the sunset category of the CYC race to mac photo contest. Nice work!

Here is the winning photo. They will announce the overall winning photo on Saturday! post-15596-0-16826600-1351817274_thumb.jpg

This afternoon

Pretty nice floating plastic dock ya got there... be careful with it.

any m24 match race results-commentary?

The racing was a lot of fun! The WMU team sailed solid and consistantly all day and won. Winds were flukey and shifty and watching them in the last two races from high up in the Lakeview room at MYC they sailed the shifts really well. The 2nd place boat had solid M24 sailors on it which gave them a speed edge at times but so did a lot of the other teams and that didn't necessarily save them. The Third Place team was two of my regular crew and another WMU sailor who have never sailed M24's or together before, and that may have been the most impressive result of all!

Team 1 from BD was cursed with bad steering and bad luck. Seemed to hit every hole, miss every shift, and in our last race a 180 degree wind shift as we hit the leward mark making both legs upwind. Really bad when you are already behind LOL! Congrats to all and thanks to the owners for allowing their boats to be used. What a GREAT event.

I am thinking we are getting enough J/35's @ MYC so now we could do this in the spring with the J/35's How fun would that be!

Time to start polishing those runners...

Nice!! Now we are ice ready!

Wow .. almost made a back to the third page. I guess folks sailing brains shut down for a rest this time of year!

Quick reminder that the MYC race fleet is having a meeting (at MYC) on Wednesday evening (December 12th). It's a great opportunity to get together and brainstorm improvements, go over the 2013 schedule, and discuss the future of the fleet.

It's fun, too!

The 2013 preliminary race schedule is up on the MYC site for review now.

Bring yourselves, and your ideas/questions, and we'll see you Wednesday evening.

Haz

The Lake Michigan Sail Racing Federation (of which Area IV is one region):

Has a new website that is about 2 weeks old we invite you to visit LMSRF Website

Opened up its newsletters in 2012 from "member only" to all crew, owners, club board members, significant others, or anyone else who wold like to track what is happening on Lake Michigan. See this years newsletters. And sign up for free to get the newsletters monthly (The LMSRF Operating Policies restrict use of your email address ONLY to send you these newsletters). Targeted information right for the region you sail in.

In the next few weeks, we will be adding 2 more pages for Area IV including Race Results for the past decade and a page for the race schedules.

Thank you.

Anyone get on the water yesterday? Scotty?

I think Scotty just got on the piss.

Happy New Year's All!

Only 16 weeks until launch!

Since there isn't a "North" Michigan thread.... We were sailing mini 12's inside the marina walls in Marquette a few weeks ago. The marina (and ramp) are iced over now so I have to wait for my friend with the big forklift to get back in town so we can drop the boats over the harbour wall for some January sailing on Superior.

The Ice on Indian Lake in Manistique is 6-8in thick. Some patchy snow on it, some smooth spots, maybe a little rough for ice boating but we're gonna try with some DN's soon I hope.

Had 39 DNs racing on Houghton Lake last Saturday/Sunday (I was only able to sail Saturday). Great Ice (5"). There's still a group of WMIYC members up there sailing. It was a blast to get to watch Ron Sherry and Matt Struble go head to head at the front of the gold fleet!

Anybody know the name of the Marina on Reeds Lake in East GR?

Which one? Grand Rapids yacht club has all the sailboats. Rosie's has a marina, and there's another just north of rose's.

Which one? Grand Rapids yacht club has all the sailboats. Rosie's has a marina, and there's another just north of rose's.

I am not sure that Rose's actually runs the marina, but if so that is a good start. Not the yacht club. Looking for Rose's or the one just to the north of Rose's. I know where they are, just can't find any contact info.

I can get info for the one north of rose's. a friend keeps his pontoon boat there. I'll find out.

How's the ice on Houghton lake now? Finally started snowing and all of the UP lakes are buried.

it's Jade pig 774-4444. This is the one north of rose's.

Thanks!

What's on the agenda for the MYC January 30 Winter Wednesday program?

A few presentations...some chowder....some drinking....

Sadly I will be out of town...

Hroth

I am doind a short bit updating Safety @ Sea info, new Mac Race Safety updates, etc. Schumacher is on the program too presumabley about latest rigging tricks but that is speculation.

Bump....

I'm looking for a mac ride this year, or a charter boat. I have my invitation request in but it would be a hell of a lot cheaper to hop on a boat that is looking for one more... PM if you have room, or a boat you would charter.

Mac registration is open! Got an invoice from my sailmaker..... definite signs of spring! Apparently the ground hog was right!

Mac registration is open! Got an invoice from my sailmaker..... definite signs of spring! Apparently the ground hog was right!

STD is in!

Hrothgar

STD is in!

Hrothgar

It sure is! They're already sending out the Crew emails:

2013_cyc_mac_logo_small.jpg

The Owner or Skipper of the Yacht Standard Deviation (USA 43851) has added your name to their Crew List for the Chicago Yacht Club Race to Mackinac.

Please log into the Crew's Corner for this event to verify/update your information and sign your Crew Waiver if required.

Still Messin' out of Holland will be in

How's the Still Messin truck and trailer doing? Last time I saw them they were a bit "off course" on I-94. Hopefully everybody was OK.

No Peerless this year.

I didn't miss a race for 23 years now I'm missing 2 out of the last 3. Definitely a bummer.

Still Messin' out of Holland will be in

How's the Still Messin truck and trailer doing? Last time I saw them they were a bit "off course" on I-94. Hopefully everybody was OK.

Everyone is fine. Trailer breaks went out is what they told me. brand new trailer on the way soon. Also took out a panel on the truck. Thanks for thinking of 'em.

Sailable ice on Muskegon Lake? Anyone sailing?

Muskegon Lake was perfect yesterday and it actually got some rain this morning. As long as the snow stays away it could be epic.

Time for a SA classic line..... Pics or it didn't happen! LOL!

Was hoping to get some photos of iceboat racing today, but instead got a photo of a couple Arrows and Whistler, parked.

Glad to see the bubblers are working. The junior dock appears to be surviving!

Was hoping to get some photos of iceboat racing today, but instead got a photo of a couple Arrows and Whistler, parked.

Glad to see the bubblers are working. The junior dock appears to be surviving!

Andy's doing a good job with the bubblers. Whatever it's costing in electricity is well worth it. It's cheap insurance......

NEED A PART TIME SAILING COACH

For the Combined Spring Lake and Grand Haven, MI High School Sailing Teams. (26 Students)

Shoreline Sailing Foundation for High School Sailing

The teams train at the Spring Lake Yacht Club from 3-5pm Tues and Thurs in the Spring and Fall. There are away races on several weekends at Traverse City, Gross Pointe, Mishiwaka Indiana and Chicago. Coach attendance at all these regattas is not mandatory.

The candidate would need to know how to sail, be able to teach kids the basics but not have to be a whiz bang racer as there are several assistant coaches that are available to help with the finer points. The coach would organize and coordinate and be on Spring Lake in a Zodiac or Whaler running drills or practice races. The coach would also have to be fair and firm with parents about this being a team sport, so some degree of maturity and poise would come in handy.

Any ideas? Post them here to spark discussion. Candidates? Contact (springlakesailing@gmail.com)

NEED A PART TIME SAILING COACH

For the Combined Spring Lake and Grand Haven, MI High School Sailing Teams. (26 Students)

Shoreline Sailing Foundation for High School Sailing

The teams train at the Spring Lake Yacht Club from 3-5pm Tues and Thurs in the Spring and Fall. There are away races on several weekends at Traverse City, Gross Pointe, Mishiwaka Indiana and Chicago. Coach attendance at all these regattas is not mandatory.

The candidate would need to know how to sail, be able to teach kids the basics but not have to be a whiz bang racer as there are several assistant coaches that are available to help with the finer points. The coach would organize and coordinate and be on Spring Lake in a Zodiac or Whaler running drills or practice races. The coach would also have to be fair and firm with parents about this being a team sport, so some degree of maturity and poise would come in handy.

Any ideas? Post them here to spark discussion. Candidates? Contact (springlakesailing@gmail.com)

BUY AN AD!

Long time lurker, first time poster. Go ahead and flame me.

dcbsheb it's a youth sailing team for crying out loud. An effort to recruit a coach placing that request, in SA, in this thread, seems well targeted and reasonable. They're a not for profit and are not looking for personal enrichment by this request and as such purchasing an ad doesn't seem neccessary.

Thanks dcbsheb, we will buy an ad. I assume you mean in SA?...any other suggestions? This is a great program that was just started a year or so ago and the team is already doing quite well in competition.

TMI "Spring Thaw" tomorrow. Be there or be square!

Jimmy

Hey newbie, show us your wife's tits.

Thought you deserved that Jim.

bump

Blast from the Past

Wow! That was back when DC could still see his....... shoes.

Jimmy

Not sure how I got re-newbieized, but, if you buy a new sail from me... she might let you touch them.

Jimmy

Jimmy

Not sure how I got re-newbieized, but, if you buy a new sail from me... she might let you touch them.

Jimmy

That's way better than throwing in a free North Sails hat!