Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

Yeah it was so deep I thought they had shut it down again LOL!

How about changes in the line up. Who's got new boats? The Peerless is going to back on the water this year, Spirit Walker not so much. What else?

Larry, not a lot of new boat stuff, however, all the Melges 24's are getting their PHRF numbers together. Look out Div. 2!

Jimmy

How about changes in the line up. Who's got new boats? The Peerless is going to back on the water this year, Spirit Walker not so much. What else?

Larry, not a lot of new boat stuff, however, all the Melges 24's are getting their PHRF numbers together. Look out Div. 2!

Jimmy

Can't wait! We might be in Div 2 this year as well so it will be interesting!

Just a couple slushy bits floating out in Muskegon Lake as of last night. Today's rain should probably take care of them.

post-13844-0-93613300-1427983651_thumb.jpg

what is the scoop with Spirit Walker?

I heard rumor the STD crew will be racing on the Bene 36.7 Nemesis this year. STD doing the Mac and then staying north for the summer. Great gig if you can get it. :)

I heard rumor the STD crew will be racing on the Bene 36.7 Nemesis this year. STD doing the Mac and then staying north for the summer. Great gig if you can get it. :)

Wait for it...

So... Ann Arbor is in West Michigan?

That would be great! You'll see...(maybe, hopefully)

Boat is staying in South Haven, not traveling, is what I have heard. Basically taking the year (at least) off.

Hearing some rumors about the Chicago NOODS. Nappy NOODs NOR is showing as pretty much a strict OD regatta with no handicap racing except for the distance race on Sat. Hmmmm Also hearing that CYC is pushing for it to be an ORR only. All this being why no NOR no registration yet. Pure speculation on my part but this is SA after all.

Anybody else hear anything more concrete?

Boat is staying in South Haven, not traveling, is what I have heard. Basically taking the year (at least) off.

It's entered in the Mac..

Hearing some rumors about the Chicago NOODS. Nappy NOODs NOR is showing as pretty much a strict OD regatta with no handicap racing except for the distance race on Sat. Hmmmm Also hearing that CYC is pushing for it to be an ORR only. All this being why no NOR no registration yet. Pure speculation on my part but this is SA after all.

Saw on the Area III Thread that race documents were posted on Yacht Scoring.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=1231

Copied the following from the NOR:

"3.2 Racing will be headquartered at the Chicago Yacht Club – Monroe Station :

a.) Racing East of the Monroe station of the Chicago Yacht Club will be offered for the following classes: Beneteau 36.7, Beneteau 40.7, Farr

40, GL36/FT10, GL70, J/105, J/109, J/111, J/30, Level 35, Melges Classes, ORR, PHRF, S2 7.9, S2 9.1 and Tartan Ten.

b.) Racing East of the Belmont Station of the Chicago Yacht Club will be offered for the following classes: Etchells, J/70, Luders

16, Melges 20, Rhodes 19, Shields, Soling, Viper 640.

c.) The regatta is open to any boat of 19 feet LOA or greater that holds either a current Offshore Racing Rule (ORR) handicap certificate,

a valid Lake Michigan PHRF (LMPHRF) rating certificate, or is a member of a one-design racing fleet recognized by the organizing authority."

Saw on the Area III Thread that race documents were posted on Yacht Scoring.

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=1231

Copied the following from the NOR:

"3.2 Racing will be headquartered at the Chicago Yacht Club – Monroe Station :

a.) Racing East of the Monroe station of the Chicago Yacht Club will be offered for the following classes: Beneteau 36.7, Beneteau 40.7, Farr

40, GL36/FT10, GL70, J/105, J/109, J/111, J/30, Level 35, Melges Classes, ORR, PHRF, S2 7.9, S2 9.1 and Tartan Ten.

b.) Racing East of the Belmont Station of the Chicago Yacht Club will be offered for the following classes: Etchells, J/70, Luders

16, Melges 20, Rhodes 19, Shields, Soling, Viper 640.

c.) The regatta is open to any boat of 19 feet LOA or greater that holds either a current Offshore Racing Rule (ORR) handicap certificate,

a valid Lake Michigan PHRF (LMPHRF) rating certificate, or is a member of a one-design racing fleet recognized by the organizing authority."

Thanks! Yeah got my email over the weekend. Appears to be no real changes so the rumors were apparently just that.

Steve Sikkenga has purchased M24 USA 108 and will be racing it out of MYC this summer. He is looking for crew for the summer. If anyone is interested let me know. joshua@mckenzieprice.com.

Looking for a recommended surveyor for boat in St Joe.

Thanks.

Steve Dake from Grand Haven.

Am I the only one who doesn't have my updated PHRF cert yet?

No it seems they always run late, even though I send the check in the same day renewal comes. I don't have mine yet and to be honest don't expect to see it till early May. Nature of of the beast I guess, On an unrelated topic how did the interior paint turn out?

Paint is good, Rumor is the boat will be in the water tomorrow when it is supposed to be high 60's for the MYC spring party. Open liquor license tomorrow and open to public. Should be a great day.

Looking for a recommended surveyor for boat in St Joe.

Thanks.

Steve Dake from Grand Haven.

I second that Steve Dake is very good

Paint is good, Rumor is the boat will be in the water tomorrow when it is supposed to be high 60's for the MYC spring party. Open liquor license tomorrow and open to public. Should be a great day.

Glad to hear it and perhaps commodore can take ceremonial first sail of the year tomorrow (on fresh water). Can see her in now in her slip from the deck, should be a great summer!

Two boats in. Peerless and an Irwin 43. Combined, they equal a Catalina 36. Happy Spring.

Gotta love it!

If you are interested in improving your marine weather forecasting skills before the 2015 season gets underway, I am teaching a Great Lakes Basic Marine Weather forecasting seminar on Saturday, May 2, 2015 at the Macatawa Bay Yacht Club. Additional information on the seminar and registration details can be found at: http://www.lakeeriewx.com/Seminars/MBYC/MBYC.html

Mark

LakeErieWX: Marine Weather Education and Forecasting Resourcws

I am sure the water temp is frigid, but nice to see the atmosphere and land all cleared of the white stuff.

The Booze Crusee train to the Mac now leaves at 6 am!

Grand Rapids-to-Chicago Amtrak train to leave earlier, return later

The daily Amtrak train that runs between Grand Rapids and Chicago, called the Pere Marquette, will be leaving earlier to allow more time in the Windy City.

Currently, the Pere Marquette is scheduled to leave the Vernon J. Ehlers Station in Grand Rapids daily at 7:40 a.m., arriving in Chicago at 10:47 a.m. local time. Beginning May 4, the train will depart daily at 6:00 a.m., arriving at 9:11 a.m. local time.

http://fox17online.com/2015/04/21/grand-rapids-to-chicago-amtrak-train-to-leave-earlier-return-later/

The Booze Crusee train to the Mac now leaves at 6 am!

Grand Rapids-to-Chicago Amtrak train to leave earlier, return later

The daily Amtrak train that runs between Grand Rapids and Chicago, called the Pere Marquette, will be leaving earlier to allow more time in the Windy City.

Currently, the Pere Marquette is scheduled to leave the Vernon J. Ehlers Station in Grand Rapids daily at 7:40 a.m., arriving in Chicago at 10:47 a.m. local time. Beginning May 4, the train will depart daily at 6:00 a.m., arriving at 9:11 a.m. local time.

http://fox17online.com/2015/04/21/grand-rapids-to-chicago-amtrak-train-to-leave-earlier-return-later/

Up at 5am to get to Chicago at 9am! The delivery crew wont even be up to make me a drink that early! Not sure my wife will get up that early to drop me off either. This sucks!

Tripp Memorial race being run out of South Haven this year? Makes logistics easier.

I'm sure the bitch fest about delivery from Musketucky will start as soon as the musketuckians awake from their booze addled post lunch naps.

Where was Tripp run from three years ago when we finished QC in SoHaven?

Tripp Memorial race being run out of South Haven this year? Makes logistics easier.

I'm sure the bitch fest about delivery from Musketucky will start as soon as the musketuckians awake from their booze addled post lunch naps.

Tripp started in SH when the QCup finished there in 2012.

We were bitching about it in February, middle of the previous page, thank you very much. ;)

My understanding is that Tripp is starting out of Holland.

As of today there are only 17 entries in the Queens Cup.

My understanding is that Tripp is starting out of Holland.

As of today there are only 17 entries in the Queens Cup.

I don't think the online list of entrants is a good gauge for how many boats will race. I would expect at least the same number as last year if not more.

While a Holland start for the Tripp would be convenient, I wouldn't be opposed to a SH start as was done in 2012. So far, we're just hearing rumors. When will the facts come? Silversailor, are you in the know?

As far as I know the Tripp will once again begin in SH. The LMSRF list of races included in the Lake MI Boat of the Year competition also identifies the Tripp as beginning in SH.

Hope to see lots of starters from MI City, St Joe, Holland and Muskegon. While I'm not involved in this years planning for the Tripp/QC I'm sure the SHYC will do a great job and that once again racers will call it "the best finish ever"!

post-2631-0-52227800-1430230511_thumb.jpg

Last time we had to deliver to South Haven for the Queen's Cup it was horrible. It took 5 hours to go 60 miles. That's 5 hours of my life I just can't get back.

Average 12 mph? That's just gawdawful. I'm so sorry.

attachicon.gifPeerless SH.jpg

Last time we had to deliver to South Haven for the Queen's Cup it was horrible. It took 5 hours to go 60 miles. That's 5 hours of my life I just can't get back.

Come for COLORS, stay for the NOOD

Visiting yachts receive free dockage for COLORS and 1/2 OFF dockage through Sunday, June 14

See you there!

Exchanged PM with the regional LMPHRF officer. Certs are obviously running late. He has been promised hard copies to sign from LMPHRF "soon" and will turn them around ASAP once he gets them.

Racing has begun, registrations are being filled out, where is my PHRF certificate? Check was cashed 2 months ago. Hit print already!

What about 2016 QC/Tripp? Will the Tripp start make sense out of St Joe or should they have it out of Holland?

Milwaukee is closer to Muskegon than St. Joe,... Not likely that anybody North of Holland is going to go all the way to St Joe to race over, and even from Holland it would be a stretch. Currently 32 boats entered in QC only 2 boats from Muskegon. The hope was that they would pick up a lot of Chicago boats but so far, only 4 CYC entries and most of those are hard core programs. Still time of course but, it looks like the numbers are going to be down quite a bit.

What about 2016 QC/Tripp? Will the Tripp start make sense out of St Joe or should they have it out of Holland?

Milwaukee is closer to Muskegon than St. Joe,... Not likely that anybody North of Holland is going to go all the way to St Joe to race over, and even from Holland it would be a stretch. Currently 32 boats entered in QC only 2 boats from Muskegon. The hope was that they would pick up a lot of Chicago boats but so far, only 4 CYC entries and most of those are hard core programs. Still time of course but, it looks like the numbers are going to be down quite a bit.
As I said above, I wouldn't put much stock in the online numbers. That's a result of those of us that chose to register online. A majority of racers will sign up through snail mail. The number of boats starting the QCup should be fine....likely more than last year as was the case when the 2012 finish in South Haven followed the 2012 race to Muskegon. Regarding a St. Joe Tripp start....we'll be there. It's only a 6 hour delivery from Holland. There will be a decent draw from SJRYC and MCYC as well.

Still waiting for the 2015 LMPHRF Cert. My guess is that once those are available the MI registrations for the QC will grow quickly. The bulk of the registations always come in June.

Those of you who haven't partied in St Joe are in for a treat. Don't miss it in 2016.

To me, delivering to a delivery rates as one of the worst ideas ever.

Don't look at it that way. In 2016, you can deliver to St. Joes, compete in two races, and then deliver home. Seems like a pretty sweet deal for boats from Chicago.

Don't look at it that way. In 2016, you can deliver to St. Joes, compete in two races, and then deliver home. Seems like a pretty sweet deal for boats from Chicago.

THat's the ticket. Sounds like a sailor talking.

word
Umm, no...it's a delivery to do a race.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a QC race that we can have/challenge a record for instead of moving it all over the place? Or have the start times pushed back so boats aren't finishing at 4am or earlier? Back when boats took 18 hours to go 70 miles the start times were perfect.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a QC race that we can have/challenge a record for instead of moving it all over the place? Or have the start times pushed back so boats aren't finishing at 4am or earlier? Back when boats took 18 hours to go 70 miles the start times were perfect.

Easy to fix, race on a slower boat, then you can finish when the sun is up and the flies are starting to get active.

+1

I like the variety. Even the finish in Ludington was fun (and it was an upwind race). The town was right there and I ended up wandering around until I found the perfect breakfast spot. Then we had one hell of a delivery home. Just about the entire crew was on-board for the ride home and it was a great time. I'm looking forward to the St. Joe finish next year.

I like the variety. Even the finish in Ludington was fun (and it was an upwind race). The town was right there and I ended up wandering around until I found the perfect breakfast spot. Then we had one hell of a delivery home. Just about the entire crew was on-board for the ride home and it was a great time. I'm looking forward to the St. Joe finish next year.

I understand both sides of the argument and they both have merit. For SSYC racers it doesn't really matter as they are racing over and delivering straight back either way. It is their race and they can do with it as they please but, it will affect participation from boats travelling for the regatta. I have done over 20 QC and I am a big fan of the race but , like many owners and their crew, I have to allocate time and resources each year and turning the QC / TC into a 5-6 day adventure makes it pretty impractical for me. That is disappointing as I LIKE going to Milwaukee. I hope the entries come in, and it is an excellant point that the LMPHRF certs not being out is a likely cause for the current low registration. Up to 42 as of today.

I understand both sides of the argument and they both have merit. For SSYC racers it doesn't really matter as they are racing over and delivering straight back either way. It is their race and they can do with it as they please but, it will affect participation from boats travelling for the regatta. I have done over 20 QC and I am a big fan of the race but , like many owners and their crew, I have to allocate time and resources each year and turning the QC / TC into a 5-6 day adventure makes it pretty impractical for me. That is disappointing as I LIKE going to Milwaukee. I hope the entries come in, and it is an excellant point that the LMPHRF certs not being out is a likely cause for the current low registration. Up to 42 as of today.

But when it ends in Muskegon and it's a 5 day adventure for the MI City, St Joe and SH racers, that's OK?

But when it ends in Muskegon and it's a 5 day adventure for the MI City, St Joe and SH racers, that's OK?

Yup

I'm not saying that it has to be Muskegon as the finish. The ferry back does certainly make Muskegon a plus though. It is less than 3 miles from each participating YC.

I understand your point but, Muskegon boats have traditionally been about 20% of the fleet. St. Joe and SH have never approached those numbers even in the year when SH hosted the finish. SSYC doesn't go to SH or St Joe to pic up SH and St Joe boats, they go there in the hope of picking up Chicago boats which they may well do but they do so at the risk of losing some of their strongest proven participants. That is a gamble that may or may not pay off for them. That all being said, they run this race primarily for their own members not for us outsiders (as they should) so they can do as they please as long as they are willing to live with the outcome.

I understand your point but, Muskegon boats have traditionally been about 20% of the fleet. St. Joe and SH have never approached those numbers even in the year when SH hosted the finish. SSYC doesn't go to SH or St Joe to pic up SH and St Joe boats, they go there in the hope of picking up Chicago boats which they may well do but they do so at the risk of losing some of their strongest proven participants. That is a gamble that may or may not pay off for them. That all being said, they run this race primarily for their own members not for us outsiders (as they should) so they can do as they please as long as they are willing to live with the outcome.

I don't agree. I worked closely with the SSYC in 2012 when the finish was in South Haven for the first time. The QC race committee showed concern for all participants, especially the Muskegon crews. I don't believe their concerns have changed. So now that the PHRF certs have arrived, I hope that all the Muskegon sailors will plan on heading to SH for the Tripp, racing the Tripp and then the QC. Consider a pursuit race to SH. Five days, three distance races... doesn't get much better.

Any results from this past weekends Melges 24 regatta? Also has anyone heard when the 2015 season MYC results might start to be posted?

Appreciate the hard work RC's do, just wondering when they might be posted.

Any results from this past weekends Melges 24 regatta? Also has anyone heard when the 2015 season MYC results might start to be posted?

Appreciate the hard work RC's do, just wondering when they might be posted.

http://yachtscoring.com/event_results_cumulative.cfm?eID=1280

24 stuff

Thanks D! So what is on the sched next for the new boat?

Fortunately/unfortunately mostly stuff up in the Charlevoix/Traverse area. The four Quantum Freshwater Cup races up there (Mark Madness, Ugotta, Hound Dog, and Red Fox), plus the Charlevoix-Northport race, and Charlevoix to Beaver.

Hoping to have the boat down this way for a couple weeks though, we will definitely be down for Anchorage cup.

You are correct sir. We will be doing the BBS spring series in Muskegon, then the Mac, then some of the crew are doing the Port Huron race, then LTYC, then Red Fox. Different program this year. Can't resist the opportunity to work from up North this summer.

Hroth

Muskegon Yach Club Scoring Links

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=1435 for "Wednesday Summer Series" Wed. Night Races

http://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=1436 for weekend Races (the "Blacklok Trophy Series")

Had to break it up as YS has a 25 race limit per series.

Wind is great here right now, and looks awesome for this afternoon. Then it crumps like a normal Wednesday night race night right around start time....

Chased a VX-One on Lake Mac yesterday at 21 knots on the GPS. That is a quick little boat. Sustained 18 knot boat speed from the narrows on Lake Mac to MBYC.

Tripp/Queens question: A few years ago when Tripp left from South Haven they offered free docking/slip from Saturday/Sunday thru Wednesday for boats doing the Tripp. Any info if they are offering this again, and who to contact? Que Loco!! coming down but trying to plan delivery, etc.

Thanks

No and no

Even thought the weather was not great, what a pretty epic weekend at MYC. 4 Great Lakes 70's duking it out in some very tight racing out on the big Lake (with a couple of j/35's match racing to spice things up :-), A whole bunch of loud, obnoxious, but pretty freaking sweet power boats all over the marina with their associated eye candy. The MYC staff provided lots of great food, drink and entertainment which all added up to a blast of a good time. Somebody had a monster drone out so there are some really cool pics of the event were taken during the 10 or 15 minutes of sunshine that happened Saturday afternoon. If I can find some to post I will do so. If only the weather would have cooperated! Still a great time

Anyone headed to MBYC for the Commodore's Cup this weekend?

Also, roll call for Queen's? Can't wait to see all you MF'ers in the land o cheese

Taking the 28 over or??? Lar any results on the 70's course? Agreed about weekend at MYC, went over after doing some boat work late in the day Saturday and heard the band for a few hrs, pretty good actually! Getting ready for Sailstice this weekend, will hope that the weather cooperates.