Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

Looks excellent!  I know it is hard to be patient with the work when it is getting done, but no one can argue with the finished product.  Sail/race like you stole it!

Bump off of page two.  Trans Mi is up to 20 entries including Stripes and Details. More rolling in.  Looks like 30 plus is still a possibility.

That's great news!  I hope this newer offering of the old classic continues to pay off for the organizers.

Great fun sailing in Muskegon this weekend...thanks to the RC.  Good to be back, if only temporarily.

Hroth

5 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Great fun sailing in Muskegon this weekend...thanks to the RC.  Good to be back, if only temporarily.

Hroth

Great to have you back  Boat seriously goes downwind, especially with a little breeze!   The Wind was pretty whacky but still a great time.

18 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Great to have you back  Boat seriously goes downwind, especially with a little breeze!   The Wind was pretty whacky but still a great time.

We are headed to Harbor Springs in a week or so but the plan is to be back in Muskegon for the Anchorage and then the UK Fall Series.  Good times ahead!

Hroth

Busy next few days,   MBYC Commodores Regatta this weekend,  Tripp Cup on Wed, Trans Michigan on Friday, buoy races in Muskegon on Saturday. Then only two weeks to the Mac,   Season seems very concentrated on the calendar this year!! 

Trans Michigan is just shy of 30 entries,  Registration remains open!. SI out today. Looking to be a bunch of fun as MYC is staying open until 2am Friday night as the boats come in..

Pretty pleased with the turnout for the first year!

For all those mad at Peerless for 1st Overall in Tripp Cup and 1st Overall in Trans-Michigan remember she is for sale listed in S.A. classifieds and on Yachtworld ;)

Good to see everyone on the water.

FB_IMG_1471703921268.jpg

21 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

For all those mad at Peerless for 1st Overall in Tripp Cup and 1st Overall in Trans-Michigan remember she is for sale listed in S.A. classifieds and on Yachtworld ;)

FB_IMG_1471703921268.jpg

Peerless was stupid fast in the Tripp, very cool to see the little boat hand it to the fleet.   Well done.  Midnight VHF exchange with freighter "...yes we're the sailboat off your bow going 11 knots...."  freighter  "We'll turn left a bit, you keep doing what you're doing."

Gotta love it!  We had some of those encounters on Nice Pair as well.  

On 6/25/2017 at 11:56 AM, TripleZeros said:

FB_IMG_1471703921268.jpg

GREAT job out there guys--- you finally had your conditions going both ways, cool to see you do so well with that boat.  Clearly time to end on a high note and get your new boat dialed in too !

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 11:56 AM, TripleZeros said:

FB_IMG_1471703921268.jpg

Awesome ride guys!  Simply launched both ways. Congrats! 

Was their any announcement made as to where the Queens Cup finish is going to be in 2018??  Dates?

6 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Was their any announcement made as to where the Queens Cup finish is going to be in 2018??  Dates?

I didn't hear anything either.   Hopefully not back to Ludington again like we did a few years ago, that one sucked.

I'd be in favor of an alternating deal where it's muskegon one year, and a semi-southern port the next.. maybe holland or GH... S. haven... kinda make it fair for the chicago guys.  I didn't like diluting the fleets with the trans michigan, effectively shrunk both fleets from what coulda been more participants.

Just now, 1sailor said:

I didn't hear anything either.   Hopefully not back to Ludington again like we did a few years ago, that one sucked.

I'd be in favor of an alternating deal where it's muskegon one year, and a semi-southern port the next.. maybe holland or GH... S. haven... kinda make it fair for the chicago guys.  I didn't like diluting the fleets with the trans michigan, effectively shrunk both fleets from what coulda been more participants.

Only a  few boats in the Trans MI this year would have done the Queen's Cup to South Haven. so I think the impact was minimal this year.  Queens is a SSYC event and they have made their bed.  I expect they will be heading south again.  I have been told they will never return to Ludington.

16 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

Best crew in town putting ARMA together this afternoon. Hope to be on the water soon!

30688.jpeg

Very cool looking!  Sail her like you stole it!

On 6/28/2017 at 8:39 PM, TripleZeros said:

Best crew in town putting ARMA together this afternoon. Hope to be on the water soon!

30688.jpeg

Where you gonna sleep on that thing?  Ha ha.

Hroth

On 6/29/2017 at 11:49 AM, lartaunt said:

Grand Haven in '18

heading to Holland after the Mac for a lil regatta on the way home

On 6/30/2017 at 6:56 AM, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Whole crew can snuggle right on that giant dance floor.

On 6/30/2017 at 6:56 AM, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Sleep? During a race? On the rail ...

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 8:37 PM, TripleZeros said:

Is that confirmed? I heard GH said no.

It was apparently announced as GH but the GRSC was a bit surprised. A lot of people not real happy.  and the world turns LOL. 

Bring it! Safe floating marina or the wall in GH.  I know where I will be sailing to.

I see the West Mi boats arriving in Chicago for the Mac Race.   Good Luck to all and have a safe sail!  Hope to see some of you in Chicago and on the Island!

Alright, who broke what on the Mac?  Bad Dog had a miserable slog of it but made it without breaking anything or anyone.  Anyone have any interesting breakage photos/stories?

1 hour ago, fyschebone said:

Alright, who broke what on the Mac?  Bad Dog had a miserable slog of it but made it without breaking anything or anyone.  Anyone have any interesting breakage photos/stories?

More miserable for some, than others LOL!

Sunday 2am to Monday 2am was NO fun, Violent banging and launching off waves.  Didn't know my boat could fly.  The rest of the race was actually pretty nice.  Went a little light on Monday but we were able to keep the boat moving and reeled in some boats.   Wrong side of the last big wind shift which took us from 1st to 3rd after spending the whole day working from 3rd to 1st was a little frustrating but that's sailboat racing!

Heard some noises below that I have never heard before.   Going to pull her out and do a thorough inspection when the boat gets's home after Harbor Springs. 

Congratulations to all of you who made it through!

On 7/19/2017 at 1:59 PM, fyschebone said:

We lost a kite and a halyard in the squall on Saturday night.  Other than that and some bruised egos, nothing else to report.

Hroth

Glad no one was hurt.  
We passed Skullcracker about a mile from the finish.  Any idea what they broke?

9 minutes ago, fyschebone said:

Glad no one was hurt.  
We passed Skullcracker about a mile from the finish.  Any idea what they broke?

I wasn't aware they broke anything....

Hroth

20 hours ago, fyschebone said:

Maybe they didn't.  I just didn't think we had any business passing them. :)

I believe their position was secure at that point....

Hroth

MBYC was a great host for our little 4 boat regatta over the weekend, thanks! 

Thanks to LTYC for  another awesome Ugotta Regatta.  Lots of W. Michigan boats in attendance with some nice results.  Two chamber of commerce weather days didn't hurt either!

Here we are on Saturday!

Hrothgar

IMG_2549.JPG

2 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

Nice finish on the weekend Variance! 

When are we going to see the Soto in action?  Too cool of a boat to waste on Musketucky Wednesday nights.  You need to at least do Anchorage and UK fall series this year.

Hroth

22 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

Clipper, GRSC Commodores cup and Anchorage are in the plans.

+1!

On 7/31/2017 at 6:51 AM, hrothgar said:

Thanks to LTYC for  another awesome Ugotta Regatta.  Lots of W. Michigan boats in attendance with some nice results.  Two chamber of commerce weather days didn't hurt either!

Here we are on Saturday!

Hrothgar

IMG_2549.JPG

you guys coming to Chicago for the Verve? 

Can't make it this year.  Moving home from the cottage that weekend...then taking daughter to college the next weekend...then moving the boat from Harbor to Musketucky the following weekend...plan to be at the NOOD in the spring...have a great time!

Hroth

On 8/2/2017 at 7:32 AM, hrothgar said:

Can't make it this year.  Moving home from the cottage that weekend...then taking daughter to college the next weekend...then moving the boat from Harbor to Musketucky the following weekend...plan to be at the NOOD in the spring...have a great time!

Hroth

all I hear is excuses... :ph34r: 

2 hours ago, 12345 said:

all I hear is excuses... :ph34r: 

You hear correctly...

Hrothgar

32 minutes ago, CaptnPea said:

Holy Shit.... Killer Scow on the loose... glad the sailors and others are ok.. guy in Impala.. not so much...

http://www.masoncountypress.com/2017/08/06/victim-of-saturday-crash-was-father-of-4-veteran/

us10_boat_fatal_08-05-17_.jpg

Very sad news indeed.  I guess you never know how your day is going to go, certainly given credence to the live each day to the fullest and be grateful as we never know how many we have left.

45 minutes ago, CaptnPea said:

Holy Shit.... Killer Scow on the loose... glad the sailors and others are ok.. guy in Impala.. not so much...

http://www.masoncountypress.com/2017/08/06/victim-of-saturday-crash-was-father-of-4-veteran/

us10_boat_fatal_08-05-17_.jpg

Wow!  Was going to say too soon but this is SA! Boat looks in remarkably good condition! at least from this angle!

I was coming through that on my way down from TC, and wondered what the detour was all about.  Sad news...

14 hours ago, 1sailor said:

ella wynsma (bow chick, Usual Suspects) made a video of our chicago-Mackinac  race, she left out the overflowing head and the 200 miles of upwind but the rest of it kinda helps people understand what we do out there:

https://vimeo.com/226684014

Very cool!

Hroth

16 hours ago, 1sailor said:

ella wynsma (bow chick, Usual Suspects) made a video of our chicago-Mackinac  race, she left out the overflowing head and the 200 miles of upwind but the rest of it kinda helps people understand what we do out there:

Edited by 1sailor
fixed link

7 hours ago, 1sailor said:

Cool vid!  Thanks for that!

any results from the distance race  yesterday ?   From where I was on land it looked like the Soto 40 was pretty launched..

2 hours ago, 1sailor said:

any results from the distance race  yesterday ?   From where I was on land it looked like the Soto 40 was pretty launched..

I also would love to see some results. I know we didn't correct over a melges 24, only beat them by around 10 minutes we guessed.

Hey people,

moved back to Michigan ( Traverse City) recently.  Built myself a little sailboat to learn to sail and practice and have been on the lake (a small inland lake, not THE lake) pretty much everyday.  So now I want more.  Who would be willing to take me on as crew?  I am a teacher and a very quick learner.  Plus, I love sailing!  This has been the most fun summer just cruising around and after a couple months on the lake I can take almost the same lines as the big dogs even though my boat "shouldn't be able to sail that well" as several people have been gracious enough to inform me.  Well, it does assholes.  And you know what, if I had as big a boat as them I know I could sail circles around them.

anyway, I really want to get on a big boat and sail.  Anybody willing to take on a new crew member?  I am very good at following directions and obviously have no ego ;)

And yeah I know it's late in the season but hey, why not ask.  Thanks all, and fair winds to ya...hope to hear from somebody...

Travis

You may be able to find someone to sail with during the Labor Day weekend up on Lake Charlevoix for the Red Fox regatta.

21 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

I also would love to see some results. I know we didn't correct over a melges 24, only beat them by around 10 minutes we guessed.

These are tentative pending a protest in Spin 3

GRSC 2017 Commodores Cup.png

On 8/27/2017 at 8:54 PM, t-money said:

Hey people,

moved back to Michigan ( Traverse City) recently.  Built myself a little sailboat to learn to sail and practice and have been on the lake (a small inland lake, not THE lake) pretty much everyday.  So now I want more.  Who would be willing to take me on as crew?  I am a teacher and a very quick learner.  Plus, I love sailing!  This has been the most fun summer just cruising around and after a couple months on the lake I can take almost the same lines as the big dogs even though my boat "shouldn't be able to sail that well" as several people have been gracious enough to inform me.  Well, it does assholes.  And you know what, if I had as big a boat as them I know I could sail circles around them.

anyway, I really want to get on a big boat and sail.  Anybody willing to take on a new crew member?  I am very good at following directions and obviously have no ego ;)

And yeah I know it's late in the season but hey, why not ask.  Thanks all, and fair winds to ya...hope to hear from somebody...

Travis

Travis, check your inbox. You'll get on the water.

Anchorage Cup slip reservation in Grand Haven. Things are screwy this year. The DNR system has changed and little boats like mine are a problem. Being too small relative to the slips available, the computer system will not release a slip. They then tell you to call the marina directly. The marina says there is nothing they can do.  Called the DNR again and I got a supervisor on the line. She had to use 38 feet to get me a slip. I guess that's a sign that I should add a 5' fixed prod. So, be persistent or just lie about the size of your boat. Or just have a big boat and no problemo. 

On 8/30/2017 at 10:23 AM, Shorthanded said:

Anchorage Cup slip reservation in Grand Haven. Things are screwy this year. The DNR system has changed and little boats like mine are a problem. Being too small relative to the slips available, the computer system will not release a slip. They then tell you to call the marina directly. The marina says there is nothing they can do.  Called the DNR again and I got a supervisor on the line. She had to use 38 feet to get me a slip. I guess that's a sign that I should add a 5' fixed prod. So, be persistent or just lie about the size of your boat. Or just have a big boat and no problemo. 

She told me there were no slips for a 40 and when I mentioned we were 44 with the sprit we magically had a slip. See you in GH on Friday.

Yep, same here, had to make my boat 43' to get a slip.   It takes 20-40 minutes of every August to get a reservation at Grand Haven Muni.   At least with the water up they won't have me bouncing the bottom where 'there's plenty of water, we've had boats much bigger than your boat in here'.

I can taste the burrito and PBR already.

Great to see everyone yesterday. Interesting conditions. We finally worked our way to the front and made sure you all saw the hole two miles from the finish so you could go around it :unsure:

7 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

Great to see everyone yesterday. Interesting conditions. We finally worked our way to the front and made sure you all saw the hole two miles from the finish so you could go around it :unsure:

You were not alone.   we had  decent position for ourselves, but as a courtesy to Chad Hough I decided to find a parking lot and put all my change in the meter, while we waited around for everyone.      I bet most everyone had their turn.    

Congrats to the guys on Salami, they fought hard and nipped us by 00:21 seconds !

That was an interesting race.  I never envisioned winning that race in those conditions.  Lots of holes.  We found one just South of the gate, but were still in pretty good position once we got out of it. 

Also, first time I've ever made it to the party.  Glad we had a designated driver. 

Several West Michigan Sailors and Anarchist on board Il Mostro as it attempts to break the Chicago to Mackinac speed record tonight.  Track em on YB

http://yb.tl/ilmostro2017 

Good Luck boys!  

23 minutes ago, cboelkins said:

Yep that is Mystic from MYC for the 2017 season.  My understanding is that it was always a gap boat and they would be moving on to something else when they found something else.  My guess is they found something else!

It's the same listing I think from when Bill bought the boat.  OR if it is a new listing, it's the same broker who had it listed last year.

Edited by 1sailor

19 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Several West Michigan Sailors and Anarchist on board Il Mostro as it attempts to break the Chicago to Mackinac speed record tonight.  Track em on YB

http://yb.tl/ilmostro2017 

Good Luck boys!  

Who?

Hroth

15 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Who?

Hroth

Brian T.  They did break the record.

9 hours ago, Geff said:

Brian T.  They did break the record.

Chris Higgins too

Muskegon YC is running a couple of seminars in the next couple of weeks

Friday night November 3rd, Rules Seminar 6-9 upstairs in the Lakeview Room. Free and open to the public

Saturday November 4th, US Sailing One Day Judge Seminar. 8-5.  $75 includes continental breakfast, lunch, materials, and US Sailing fee.  Will qualify you to take the US Sailing Test to become a Club Judge.    Must register in advance at the US Sailing site ussaling.org.   or HERE  Registration deadline is October 27th.  Attendance at the Friday night rules seminar is recommended but not mandatory.

Kudos to the awards organizers at MYC! The banquet was well attended and the awards presentation was slick and efficient.

The coolest things were the recognition of the Aftershock crew for their heroics in the rescue of the Merdian X man overboard during the 2017 Mac race, and the support of the MYC junior sailing program. By the time the evening ended we had collected $4000 in checks and pledges for the juniors ... THANK YOU!!

Already looking forward to mixing it up with this group next season ... with a bit of ice boating 'tween now and then!

Any of you guys using cell phone boosters during the Mac race ?   Or satellite phones ?   I'm trying to put some time in over the winter to get set up better, looking for input on either of the above.  Looks like most of the cell boosters are talking "up to 50 miles" range---- seems good enough.

Looking to be able to get weather info to run expedition program, don't know much about bandwidth requirements of either system but would be grateful for advice

We're looking at a display that integrates a chart, position, metrics, AIS MMSI whatever overlay (see our competitors who have their VHF radios turned on), and XM satellite weather.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but looking.

In a thread here about 2 years ago I asked what parts are needed to put a foot warmer (old CB language for ya!) on a cell.  It was another wire in the mast, antenna on top, and hardware parts below and some electricity.  You might search for that thread and look what is involved.

Trans MI sign up is open. Looks like it leaves earlier this year to be able party at MYC. Looks like Queens is trying to squash it by finishing in GH and making people tie up on the wall. Thoughts? ARMA is currently signed up for Trans MI.

22 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Bump...

Hrothgar

Right on!  To all of you and yours!

MYC Schedule should be out shortly.  

Some changes.  Governors Cup will be June 16-17 as a pre regatta for the Tripp/ Trans Michigan.  Tripp will start from Muskegon on June 20,  Trans Mi is Friday June 22.  Morning start for a evening finish in Muskegon.    Hope to have lots of boats in Muskegon for the week for a buoy racing for the Governors Cup and back to back offshore racing with the Tripp /Trans Mi races with a big party Friday night in Muskegon!  Registration is open for Trans MI and NOR available HERE

We’re doing the Queen’s Cup. The owner of Blackrocks Brewery will be joining us and we’re planning on a “take over the taps” in GH Saturday. Possibly at the Tip. 

there’s probly a ton of history on this that I know nothing about (educate me ?) but I don’t get the ‘perceived animosity’ on this.   I totally understand avoidance of long deliveries where possible but GH seems fair to us holland sailors and you myc guys too right, as a finish destination?  

diluting both fleets with two races on the same day seems a bummer.

usual suspects is doing traditional tripp / queens

don’t flame me for asking, it just seems weird, pardon my lack of background knowledge...

eric

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1sailor said:

there’s probly a ton of history on this that I know nothing about (educate me ?) but I don’t get the ‘perceived animosity’ on this.   I totally understand avoidance of long deliveries where possible but GH seems fair to us holland sailors and you myc guys too right, as a finish destination?  

diluting both fleets with two races on the same day seems a bummer.

usual suspects is doing traditional tripp / queens

don’t flame me for asking, it just seems weird, pardon my lack of background knowledge...

eric

I think the reason the Queens is back to middle ground is the Trans MI. 

• Downvote 1

Happy to discuss offline the why's and how's on the development of the Trans Michigan Race if your really interested but for this forum suffice it to say that it was done very reluctantly after much discussion and negotiation with SSYC over many years.  No animosity just doing what is best for MYC.

MYC racer QC articipation had/has dropped from being 15-20% of QC fleet to only 2-3 boats.   The Trans Mi race was developed to satisfy the demands of MYC and other West Mi racers who wanted a more consistent race.  Trans Mi is drawing primarily boats that would likely not do QC anyway (so far). That may change but we will see. QC is run for the best interest of the SSYC as it should be.  The Trans MI is being run based on the best interest of MYC and other west Mi racers.   People can make their own decisions but Trans Michigan will always be a daytime race from Milwaukee to Muskegon for those boats that want to race the race.