Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

1sailor, food to hear you went with the 400. Looking forward to seeing it on the water. 

I think the Muskegon team will be on the same ride this year, if I’m thinking of the same team as you. I’ll ask Don next time I see him what he has going on. He usually keeps his cards close to his chest. 

I just wrapped up a weekend of racing on San Fran bay. Nice little break from the snow and cold. 

What team are you speculating? Mystic? Sounds like they are staying on the 40.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

000, that was the team I've heard rumblings about, from a guy who apparently had indicated interest in their boat after I told him mine had been donated and was gone.   Heard nothing from the horses' mouth or any of their team members directly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

West Michigan sailors (and in particular 000)---- does anyone have a decent handle on which set of advertising rules we can get away with  for (combination)  Mac / Queens / LTYC and of course local PHRF ? 

No, I'm not looking for sponsors or to become a billboard, but if I'm buying sails I like the idea of putting a company logo on 'em so I can use pre-tax dollars for the sail cost.

I've noticed 000's insurance agency logos--- wondering what the limitations are, I know there are various 'categories' that exist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, 1sailor said:

West Michigan sailors (and in particular 000)---- does anyone have a decent handle on which set of advertising rules we can get away with  for (combination)  Mac / Queens / LTYC and of course local PHRF ? 

No, I'm not looking for sponsors or to become a billboard, but if I'm buying sails I like the idea of putting a company logo on 'em so I can use pre-tax dollars for the sail cost.

I've noticed 000's insurance agency logos--- wondering what the limitations are, I know there are various 'categories' that exist.

I've never had a problem with any advertising. I think race organizers want to make sure that you dont have a porn site or a derogitory logo on your sails so they put the restriction in the SI's otherwise they will gladly accept your $$$.  Look at the 52 series and go from there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TripleZeros said:

I've never had a problem with any advertising. I think race organizers want to make sure that you dont have a porn site or a derogitory logo on your sails so they put the restriction in the SI's otherwise they will gladly accept your $$$.  Look at the 52 series and go from there.

I dont think its that simple.   Events are either category A, B, or C (various limitations in each, on branding) and I know for sure the Mac committee has put something in the NOR about no sponsor logo's allowed that compete with any of the CYC sponsors. 

Guess I'll have to dig thru the NOR's for each event and figure it out for myself..  the TP52 class however is a much different set of rules than LM-PHRF or the CYC regs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1sailor said:

I dont think its that simple.   Events are either category A, B, or C (various limitations in each, on branding) and I know for sure the Mac committee has put something in the NOR about no sponsor logo's allowed that compete with any of the CYC sponsors. 

Guess I'll have to dig thru the NOR's for each event and figure it out for myself..  the TP52 class however is a much different set of rules than LM-PHRF or the CYC regs.

Mac says see World sailing regulation 20,   20.2.4 specifically is what I was talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

What team are you speculating? Mystic? Sounds like they are staying on the 40.

I think so, but I am hearing stuff second hand. Unless there is a new development, it will be the 40. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my last season/year with "Nice Pair" I stickered up the boat and main sail with all sorts of sponsorship decals and graphics.  We also put some on "Lucky Strike."  Nothing was said or infraction occurred.  All was fine.  If you look at the aft beam of "Arete' , you will see a line of sponsorship decals.  That being said, we are multihulls and maybe the common thought is that we don't really fall under some of the same auspices.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Registration is open for LTYC / Harbor Springs regatta.     I feel a bit confused about the split PHRF and ORR section for  big boats.    How do you decide which to register for ?  I guess I can sit and wait to see who signs up for what, but I wish they'd just put us all in the same club.   

Advice on which to register for ?  I dont know which rule "likes" my boat better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, 1sailor said:

Registration is open for LTYC / Harbor Springs regatta.     I feel a bit confused about the split PHRF and ORR section for  big boats.    How do you decide which to register for ?  I guess I can sit and wait to see who signs up for what, but I wish they'd just put us all in the same club.   

Advice on which to register for ?  I dont know which rule "likes" my boat better.

PHRF will "like" your boat better. This is assuming you end up with the same rating that Meridian X has on the Chesapeake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Muskegon YC has its schedule and registration up for the 2018 Season. The full season Schedule is HERE   Event Registration is HERE  or directly via Yachtscoriing.

Governor's Cup has been moved to June 16-17 as a pre-regatta to the Tripp Memorial Cup starting from Muskegon to Milwaukee on June 20 and the Trans Michigan Race from Milwaukee back to Muskegon on June 22.  Boats registering for the three events will receive free mooring at Muskegon YC for the nights in Muskegon.

Trans Michigan Race will start at 10am CDT (11am EDT) for an evening finish in Muskegon with big Friday night festivities planned at MYC.  The Milwaukee base will be the beautiful north side McKinley Municipal Marina.  See the NOR for details  HERE. 

Start of Tripp and the Trans Finish are moving to the NORTH side of the Muskegon Pier to avoid some of the onshore light interference (though we hope to be in before dark anyway!)

First race (Challenge race)  May 2,  First race counted for the season May 9.  The Season is only 90 days away!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all! I started sailing in my small daysailer last summer and totally fell in love with the sport. I'd really like to up my game and learn to sail bigger boats in the coming years. I'd really like to find a boat to help crew on Lake Macatawa for Wednesday evening races this summer. I know the basics, I'm in good shape, and have a lot of passion. Does anyone have any contacts or know who I should talk to? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abredow said:

Hey all! I started sailing in my small daysailer last summer and totally fell in love with the sport. I'd really like to up my game and learn to sail bigger boats in the coming years. I'd really like to find a boat to help crew on Lake Macatawa for Wednesday evening races this summer. I know the basics, I'm in good shape, and have a lot of passion. Does anyone have any contacts or know who I should talk to? Thanks!

Welcome!  I'm in Holland and we race on Wednesdays, but we are pretty full up for crew.  One place you can check for boats looking for crew (or you can post under crew available) is here on the Bayshore Yacht Club website: http://www.bayshoreyachtclub.org/Racing-BYC.html

Scroll down to the bottom. It's empty right now, but there might be some postings as we get closer to the racing season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/31/2018 at 10:09 AM, lartaunt said:

 

Governor's Cup has been moved to June 16-17 as a pre-regatta to the Tripp Memorial Cup starting from Muskegon to Milwaukee on June 20 and the Trans Michigan Race from Milwaukee back to Muskegon on June 22.  Boats registering for the three events will receive free mooring at Muskegon YC for the nights in Muskegon.

 

Will the Governor's Cup have both Spin and JAM divisions?  What will be the format for each? W/L? Offset? Number of races each day?

Also, will the Tripp still be a night race? Ending at SSYC or McKinley?

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Governor's Cup will have both spin and JAM divisions.  W/L races for Spin, may have an offset course for JAM depending on fleet,  3 races planned per day.  NOR is up on Yachtscoring

Tripp will be a night crossing and the finish line will be the traditional south entrance.  Awards for Tripp will be at SSYC but we will likely have an UBER or some transport options at McKinley to get to SSYC for the awards if interested.  Motor from the south entrance to McKinley is only about 15-20 minutes at 6 kts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's just start the Tripp cup from any harbor on the Eastern shore at 7:00 PM and see how it works out.   I think we'll choose Holland and hope the wind builds from the S in the night.  There are at least 6 fast boats from Holland, we could have a great night chasing stern lights looking for the Polish Moon to rise before the sun blots it out.  

OR we could have an ass-crack of dawn start for the new "I'm not tripping cup" that could start from Grand Haven on Thursday at 0600 so my crew is less confused about where the cars are and we can still make what's left of the party at SSYC

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, From the Helm said:

Let's just start the Tripp cup from any harbor on the Eastern shore at 7:00 PM and see how it works out.   I think we'll choose Holland and hope the wind builds from the S in the night.  There are at least 6 fast boats from Holland, we could have a great night chasing stern lights looking for the Polish Moon to rise before the sun blots it out.  

OR we could have an ass-crack of dawn start for the new "I'm not tripping cup" that could start from Grand Haven on Thursday at 0600 so my crew is less confused about where the cars are and we can still make what's left of the party at SSYC

 

I think the second option might work. Or just leave Holland late Wednesday night and booze cruise it with a boat full of Blackrocks brew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are options and choices.  We are trying to promote racing in West Michigan.  The current plan is to rotate the start of the Tripp Cup with Holland and MYC in coming years with each club having a pre event like the Governor's Cup.  Last Year some of our boats came to Holland for the Commodores Cup and MYC ran a shuttle to MBYC for the Tripp start so cars would be at MYC.  Worked well.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have often thought that the Tripp could be expanded substantially by permitting simultaneous starts from any  harbor on the east side of the Lake. Then adjust for distance.  I realize that it's not perfect but Windquest and all the similar rated boats are never in the same wind as  most of us anyway. Could easily double or triple the entries now that Tripp has abandoned the tradition of starting where the QC finishes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might look at the PHRFection event run by Michigan City Yacht Club. Boats start from different harbors in 2 different States and finish in Michigan City, the following day they race back to their home ports.  The key is, they are all racing against each other even with different course lengths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting Idea.  Tripp is a LMSRF Area IV race so that is up to them. Too late for this year but worth exploring. The Tripp disconnecting from the start of the QC came about when SSYC started moving the finish to Ludington, South Haven, & St Joe.    Logistics just too difficult

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2018 at 6:34 PM, 1sailor said:

 There's a Thompson 35 custom  offwind rocket now in milwaukee that was discussed elsewhere on SA this fall.    Holland is minus a Farr 40 and plus a Farr 400 being sailed by us (usual suspects), not sure what the Tyrant guys are doing (they're quiet but I think they have a plan), and some speculation about a different muskegon team doing an upgrade too but you'd know more about that than me.

 

yeah... Don't be Ascared.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump up from deep on page two!   

First race in Muskegon is 5 weeks from Wednesday!!  PHRF certs are out,  Time to get your registrations in.   Fleet meeting for Muskegon Yacht Club 4/25/2018 ,  Section splits and more on the program.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join us next Thursday (April 12) at MBYC for the Leukemia Cup kickoff party. Graham Garrenton from Meridian X will be in town to share their MOB experience in the 2017 ChiMac race. This should be a very informative presentation/discussion as Graham will be sharing lessons learned from their harrowing experience. The event begins at 5:00 pm. Hope to see you there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dyslexic dog said:

Thursday is Hockey night for me. Dang, its always something.

 

Good to hear that you’re back on the ice. I still have to take that big step. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Join us next Thursday (April 12) at MBYC for the Leukemia Cup kickoff party. Graham Garrenton from Meridian X will be in town to share their MOB experience in the 2017 ChiMac race. This should be a very informative presentation/discussion as Graham will be sharing lessons learned from their harrowing experience. The event begins at 5:00 pm. Hope to see you there. 

It would be swell if there were a video of this talk, to share with the masses from the West side of the lake.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Grinder said:

It would be swell if there were a video of this talk, to share with the masses from the West side of the lake.

 

I’ll see what I can do. But you can only watch it when you come up to visit mongo and we’ll drink Yooper beer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 9:28 PM, Shorthanded said:

Join us next Thursday (April 12) at MBYC for the Leukemia Cup kickoff party. Graham Garrenton from Meridian X will be in town to share their MOB experience in the 2017 ChiMac race. This should be a very informative presentation/discussion as Graham will be sharing lessons learned from their harrowing experience. The event begins at 5:00 pm. Hope to see you there. 

Bump. I didn’t mention it in my post above, but this event is open to the public. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I"ll be there with some of the other 'suspects

and we are for *sure* using DD's member number-- I'll open the tab for you guys

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you have no idea how much coverage you have to get your boat off the bottom of the lake, or if your mast is depreciated or replacement cost when it snaps, plan on coming to Muskegon Yacht Club on 4/25 @ 7:00 for some helpful info and beer.  I will be there with marine underwriters from Frankenmuth Insurance doing a short presentation and answering questions.  Are your sails included in the hull value or is there a separate limit on your policy? These are all good things to know before something happens.  What if something happens and you are not on the boat when it does?

-000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shorty, we'll be there to drink on your tab, thanks for being a good owner, I'll try not to trim your new #1 through the stanchions again, if I remember.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, From the Helm said:

Shorty, we'll be there to drink on your tab, thanks for being a good owner, I'll try not to trim your new #1 through the stanchions again, if I remember.    

You’re welcome. My pleasure. See you tomorrow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, TripleZeros said:

If you have no idea how much coverage you have to get your boat off the bottom of the lake, or if your mast is depreciated or replacement cost when it snaps, plan on coming to Muskegon Yacht Club on 4/25 @ 7:00 for some helpful info and beer.  I will be there with marine underwriters from Frankenmuth Insurance doing a short presentation and answering questions.  Are your sails included in the hull value or is there a separate limit on your policy? These are all good things to know before something happens.  What if something happens and you are not on the boat when it does?

-000

Is there a presentation from the meeting last night?  I couldn't make it and would be interested in the content...

 

Hroth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, applied for a cert for the new boat in February or early March, it's concerning, but I guess I"m glad to know I'm not alone here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have not seen mine either ....

But did notice the LMPHRF website lookup is showing the 2018 ratings ...    so would like to think ....   that seeing a new cert in the mail can't be to far away !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They dont have me listed either.  Not sure what to tell the local RC to score me at, when I start racing in a  week or so.  Hum.  I can guess....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A big batch went out weeks ago and I thought they were all out but apparently not.  My understanding is that the second batch was mailed late last week.  Received one today so check your mail.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

They don’t even have me on their website and they cashed my check in March. Same old same old with LMPHRF. 

They must not like you.  Ha ha.

Hroth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Seems like this comes up every year around this time, but has anyone received their PHRF cert yet?

I sent mine in the day after I received it and nothing back. I sent again with another check after emailing with no response. Still no response....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TripleZeros said:

I sent mine in the day after I received it and nothing back. I sent again with another check after emailing with no response. Still no response....

Mine arrived today. Now I can launch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

I sent mine in the day after I received it and nothing back. I sent again with another check after emailing with no response. Still no response....

I KNOW they don't like you...

Hroth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YO!! Are you guys racing over on that side yet?? where the results??

Check out the Thompson 35 BERSERKIR page on FB. Hoping to make the Queens Cup.

As far as PHRF certificate... it was FINALLY issued about two weeks ago AT 90!!! Dude had a Melges 24, so apparently they can't tell the difference. So far, NOTHING back from them!!!

see you out there...we hope!

 

berserker logo 4 Triarri's Profile.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We started racing at Muskegon three weeks ago!   No wind, too much wind, and really light and shifty winds so far. LOL results HERE  .  17 boat Melges 24 Regatta this past weekend,  Fogged out on Saturday,  good racing on Sunday. results HERE

Governors Cup coming up the weekend of June 16-17, followed by Tripp Cup to Milwaukee June 20, and Queen's (night ot Grand Haven) and Trans MIchigan (Day to Muskegon) back across on June 22. I am thinking a day crossing is going to be a LOT warmer with the lake being so freaking cold. Lake is still in the 40's and Tripp/ Trans is only 4 weeks away! BRRR!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

...and I'm just hanging out waiting for my PHRF cert.

Same--- but at least you have a known rating !

I have not been able to get any replies of any kind.   

What to do ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you guys sent an email to LMPHRF?  Paul is usually pretty good about replying.  Anybody have Carl's number to help these guys?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Have you guys sent an email to LMPHRF?  Paul is usually pretty good about replying.  Anybody have Carl's number to help these guys?  

of course !  enough of ‘em that I worry about a TRO and a 6 second hit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

...and I'm just hanging out waiting for my PHRF cert.

you were -15 last year or -18 ?

whats your ORR?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now