Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

Seeing some FB reports about a fire at Torresen's last night.  Anybody know any details, which building, how bad?  Nothing on M-Live that I can find. Hoping it was nothing serious!

21 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Seeing some FB reports about a fire at Torresen's last night.  Anybody know any details, which building, how bad?  Nothing on M-Live that I can find. Hoping it was nothing serious!

Never mind,  not at Torresen's just a brush fire near them. 

5 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Never mind,  not at Torresen's just a brush fire near them. 

Car fire, drunk...Sunday night.  Country Club Rd.

I have a good insurance guy and while my boat is laid up for a covered loss I can charter a similar boat. Anyone have a 40ft sprit boat they want to charter for 2 months?  If you are interested in the insurance I have let me know...

23 minutes ago, TripleZeros said:

I have a good insurance guy and while my boat is laid up for a covered loss I can charter a similar boat. Anyone have a 40ft sprit boat they want to charter for 2 months?  If you are interested in the insurance I have let me know...

my FIL's policy also covers rentals. We kind of laughed at that a couple years ago when his rig got broken by the yard. It was the weekend before Mac and we could not get something trucked in in time.

3 hours ago, doghouse said:

Fresh out of them at the moment I'm afraid.

Where did the boat end up? (assuming it's sold)

20 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

can’t help ya for that long, but if there’s a particular event you need to use the Usual Suspects for, we could have the conversation... trust you guys entirely.... other than marky of course..:)

4 hours ago, fyschebone said:

A couple guys left Milwaukee on paddleboards at dawn this morning.  Heading for Muskegon.  Makes my ankles hurt just thinking about it.

Live tracking:

https://share.garmin.com/MichigamiCrossing

Background:

https://www.facebook.com/michigamicrossing/

They are fast!  Over 1/2 way across already!

15 hours ago, doghouse said:

Connecticut I believe.

sooooooo - what's next?

Working on that as we speak. Down to a couple options. Definitely something in the 40 foot range.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 1sailor said:

can’t help ya for that long, but if there’s a particular event you need to use the Usual Suspects for, we could have the conversation... trust you guys entirely.... other than marky of course..:)

I appreciate the offer! 

Just checked clipper cup weather to Port Washington. Only need to rig the port jib sheet... possibly light enough to rig port spin sheet for those with a code 0 or mast head genoa.

have a safe trip.

The GRSC/ MYC Commodores Invitational Race is coming up on August 25th  This is a fun little race from Grand Haven to Muskegon.  Registration and NOR are on Yachtscoring HERE

Skippers Meeting at GRSC Clubhouse at 10:30am and Noon first Start off the Grand Haven Pier,  Finish is off the Muskegon Pier with festivities and awards at MYC after the race.

Back in the '80s, at least one year we did a chase from Muskegon to GH.  We ended up 2nd being passed in the last few hundred yards.  

I highly recommend doing the same for a fun race.  

8 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Back in the '80s, at least one year we did a chase from Muskegon to GH.  We ended up 2nd being passed in the last few hundred yards.  

I highly recommend doing the same for a fun race.  

We are planning on the annual pursuit race Saturday Morning from Muskegon to GH if enough boats are interested

18 hours ago, lartaunt said:

We are planning on the annual pursuit race Saturday Morning from Muskegon to GH if enough boats are interested

I might be an old fuck, but when somebody says Marky, I know who they're talking about.  Talk about a cheap date, three beers and he's in love with the floor!

PS  Moody Blue was maybe the coolest name and coolest boat I have ever seen.  N/M one toner for the washed.  

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 9:46 AM, doghouse said:

Connecticut I believe.

This boat has your name on it...........

5_4.jpg

On 8/7/2018 at 4:19 PM, TripleZeros said:

000's..... any update on the fate of your soto 40 ?    Insurance process going OK ?

On 8/20/2018 at 12:44 PM, 1sailor said:

000's..... any update on the fate of your soto 40 ?    Insurance process going OK ?

Still getting the estimate together...

Biggest rollers I've seen all year rolling up on Lake MI's east shore.  Period is spaced out, these are big boys. Anyone know if they still started the GH to Muskegon race?

Answered my own question. There are 2 melges 24s and the farr 40. The first place melges just lost its kite in front of my house, not sure if it blew up or not but no kite up for them anymore. Both are ahead of the farr, they just have a #3 or 4 jib up

• Like 1

On 8/25/2018 at 12:46 PM, TripleZeros said:

Answered my own question. There are 2 melges 24s and the farr 40. The first place melges just lost its kite in front of my house, not sure if it blew up or not but no kite up for them anymore. Both are ahead of the farr, they just have a #3 or 4 jib up

The lead Melges 24 lost their spin halyard about 45 minutes into the 12.5 mile race.  The other one carried all the way to the finish line in just over 54 minutes, the other crossed about a minute and a half later under jib and main.   12.5 miles in 54 minutes in a 24 foot boat.  Not too shabby with nearly a 14 knt average.   Farr 40's only section competition dropped out prior to the start so they took it easy and finished  a in about an hour under JAM only.   A Soto 40 would have killed it in this race :-)  (sorry!)

• Like 2

Nice!  A multi would have been great for this one as well!

3 hours ago, Geff said:

Nice!  A multi would have been great for this one as well!

Oh yeah, your old boat would have been in Pentwater by the time you got the sails down LOL!

• Like 1

MYC got hit with a 75 knot gust last night (according to the club anemometer)   Dry sail area is a mess!  Boats flipped and tipped on the north side.  Haven't seen any pictures from the south side but might want to get down to check your boat.

17 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Oh yeah, your old boat would have been in Pentwater by the time you got the sails down LOL!

Right on!  That's hilarious and well put! 

Security cam footage of Tuesday night's storm coming through MYC.  Waterspout forms at 7:33:57 top center (about 20 feet from Bad Dog).

• Like 2

I am going to go out on a limb and say a Melges 24 or the Antrim 27 are going to win this years Anchorage Cup

On 8/30/2018 at 10:00 AM, fyschebone said:

Security cam footage of Tuesday night's storm coming through MYC.  Waterspout forms at 7:33:57 top center (about 20 feet from Bad Dog).

That's impressive!

6 hours ago, Geff said:

That's impressive!

You did notice the multihulls didn't flip.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2018 at 11:17 PM, lartaunt said:

I am going to go out on a limb and say a Melges 24 or the Antrim 27 are going to win this years Anchorage Cup

You were right!!   the melgi occupied top  1-3 overall

it was a flat water tight reach in 13-16, freed up just enough after port sheldon to get a FR-0 outta the bag.  hour and a half race, and a beautiful day.   great to see many of you out there!

5DF1F5E6-17D3-4BC4-9355-2680D6161C3C.jpeg

11 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

Work on ARMA has started.... bummed to miss these races.  Who's going to make the "vote downwind 2019 Mac" t shirts...

I'd settle for just "Not 25 kts+ North 2019 Mac" shirts.

• Like 1

From last night on Muskegon Lake. Marchido posted the pics on FB. Not sure who the owner is but probably having some pops listening to irish music festival downtown.  Then had great idea to drive fast in the dark without paying attention.

FB_IMG_1537122295122.jpg

23 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

From last night on Muskegon Lake. Marchido posted the pics on FB. Not sure who the owner is but probably having some pops listening to irish music festival downtown.  Then had great idea to drive fast in the dark without paying attention.

FB_IMG_1537122295122.jpg

All we usually do in that spot is run aground.

That will never buff out

Whose boat?  Picture was taken at Torresen's in June '17 by Nick Irwin from Nick Irwin Images (nickirwinimages .com).  Saw it during Art Prize in GR at the BOB.  He wants to contact the owner so somebody help him out.  Cool shot.  

rs=w:1136,h:568,cg:true

8 minutes ago, doghouse said:

Looks like it might be Bretwalda, but I dont really know.

He thought the name started with a B so that's what I thought as well.  Thanks.  Hopefully, someone is positive.  

Bretwalda has (or at least originally had) a retractable sprit pole.    

boat in the picture has a fixed prod, so I am gonna say this is Andrew Price’s badass Soto 40 ARMA

I've never seen a Roger's 46 with a retractable pole that I can recall.

Could be a Soto for sure though.

22 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Whose boat?  Picture was taken at Torresen's in June '17 by Nick Irwin from Nick Irwin Images (nickirwinimages .com).  Saw it during Art Prize in GR at the BOB.  He wants to contact the owner so somebody help him out.  Cool shot.  

rs=w:1136,h:568,cg:true.

I'm pretty sure its Longbow.  Custom carbon Owen Clark Class 40. Built by a guy named Britt Columbo out east.  Forget the name of his company offhand.

Mac program has the owner listed as FK Day.  Believe he's out of Chicago.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:10 PM, Cal20sailor said:

rs=w:1136,h:568,cg:true

It's Bretwalda. It had a retractable sprit until last year.

5 minutes ago, fetzer24 said:

It's Bretwalda. It had a retractable sprit until last year.

I believe that would be the horse's mouth.  Thanks.  

Anyone knowing the owner or crew, please forward  the website where the picture is posted and hopefully they can make contact with the photographer. Nothing in it for me but if it was my boat, I'd sure like to at least see the photo.  Thanks.

54 minutes ago, Cal20sailor said:

Anyone knowing the owner or crew, please forward  the website where the picture is posted and hopefully they can make contact with the photographer. Nothing in it for me but if it was my boat, I'd sure like to at least see the photo.  Thanks.

I sent a message to the owner on FB,

18 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

I sent a message to the owner on FB,

Thanks, I let the photographer know.  Appreciate everyone's help.  

2 hours ago, doghouse said:

Do I get a T-shirt for guessing right

Absolutely, I'm wearing it right now but will probably change by the weekend.  PM an address.  (note, I'm pretty sure none of the stains are human fluids)

• Like 2

On 10/1/2018 at 4:40 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Absolutely, I'm wearing it right now but will probably change by the weekend.  PM an address.  (note, I'm pretty sure none of the stains are human fluids)

From the band Embarrassing Stains?  :lol:

On 10/1/2018 at 9:16 AM, Cal20sailor said:

Yes it is Bretwalda 3.  I like the photo!

bob Pethick 

• Like 1

Funny, I took this pic of ARMA at some point this summer as well. Cell phone camera and a few beers makes it not near as cool as the other photo... I think the Anchor Yanker gives it character.

IMG_20180523_211629_333.jpg

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:31 AM, TripleZeros said:

Funny, I took this pic of ARMA at some point this summer as well. Cell phone camera and a few beers makes it not near as cool as the other photo... I think the Anchor Yanker gives it character.

IMG_20180523_211629_333.jpg

How are repairs progressing?