Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

Recommended Posts

Ever raced RC sailboats? You'll have your chance during the welcome party Friday night of the MYC member guest. If you suck at it, you can still wait around to see if your team is drawn to recieve their full entry fee back!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Planning on coming to the MYC Member Guest Regatta and not sure where to stay?  RV and camper parking will be at Torresen Marine (stumbling distance from MYC).  Live in Grand Rapids and don't want to drive back every day?  Your wife doesn't want to see you after the party, stay where the fun is.  Currently working out a deal on rentals that could be set up for you when you arrive.  Get in touch with your MYC member friend and tell them you want in! Any guest boat must be an invited competitor from a MYC member.   More info to come.  Put this on your race schedule!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, blufftonbaysails said:

super exciting to see !   also I like the 100% american effort team of builders and sailors and including the Stars and Stripes name reborn!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, TripleZeros said:

Planning on coming to the MYC Member Guest Regatta and not sure where to stay?  RV and camper parking will be at Torresen Marine (stumbling distance from MYC).  Live in Grand Rapids and don't want to drive back every day?  Your wife doesn't want to see you after the party, stay where the fun is.  Currently working out a deal on rentals that could be set up for you when you arrive.  Get in touch with your MYC member friend and tell them you want in! Any guest boat must be an invited competitor from a MYC member.   More info to come.  Put this on your race schedule!

NOR for the MYC Member Guest is HERE   Check it out!  Entry is HERE 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trans Michigan Race NOR and Registration are up and open HERE.     It is back in line with the opening of Summerfest in Milwaukee this year which is walkable from McKinley Marina First start is 9am CDT from Milwaukee on Friday June 28, 2019 with finish in Muskegon MI.   Tripp Memorial Cup will start in Holland MI this year on Wednesday June 26tj with a finish in Milwaukee WI 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Trans Michigan Race NOR and Registration are up and open HERE.     It is back in line with the opening of Summerfest in Milwaukee this year which is walkable from McKinley Marina First start is 9am CDT from Milwaukee on Friday June 28, 2019 with finish in Muskegon MI.   Tripp Memorial Cup will start in Holland MI this year on Wednesday June 26tj with a finish in Milwaukee WI 

Who is taking care of the Tripp cup registration? Will it still be on yachtscoring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 6:50 AM, TripleZeros said:

Who is taking care of the Tripp cup registration? Will it still be on yachtscoring?

Tripp is a LMSRF race so handled by them.  I am sure it will be on Yachtscoring as it was last year.  I can make an inquiry as to expected registration opening.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I didn't take any pics but there was a good group, around 12 boats or so.  Ice a little rough but other than that a good day on the (hard) water.  A little stiff today from a day on the DN, but nice to be able to use it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, winter can't last forever!   Torresen Spring Thaw this weekend.  Time to get your VC and shake off the cobwebs.  Sailing is only eight weeks away!  Time to wake up West Michigan!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back from deep in the pages.... so who thinks we should have spin 1, spin 2, merges, and jib classes on Wednesday races?  We could also keep doing it the way we do now so everyone gets a trophy every race so no one is sad.

-000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, TripleZeros said:

Back from deep in the pages.... so who thinks we should have spin 1, spin 2, merges, and jib classes on Wednesday races?  We could also keep doing it the way we do now so everyone gets a trophy every race so no one is sad.

-000

Whats a 'merges'?

Hroth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit off topic here compared to the rest of the recent posts, but on topic for the thread title itself so I figured I'd drop it here.

I recently accepted a side gig as the Boat Maintenance Manager for the Grand Rapids Junior Sailing Association. It's based out of the Grand Rapids Yacht Club on Reeds Lake in East Grand Rapids. I'll also be teaching beginner adult lessons on Monday and Thursday evenings there.

Anyone here sail at GRYC? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK this Safety At Sea seminar deal just got real.   Yes, I had all winter and did nothing about it.    Looking around online, the Chicago YC session is sold out, and few 'other' options remain.

Anyone have a good plan on this ?     What about hiring / flying in the instructor to do a local YC thing, so that only ONE person travels instead of ALL of us ?

Ideas or advice ?     Does the on-line class suffice, or do we need to do a full weekend gig to meet the rule, or what ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 1sailor said:

Does the on-line class suffice, or do we need to do a full weekend gig to meet the rule, or what ?

5.10 - Safety Training Requirement - (a) At least 50% of a boat’s crew (rounded up), one of whom shall be the Person-In-Charge, shall complete one of the following safety courses within the 5 year period prior to the start of the Race: 

US Sailing Sanctioned Offshore Safety at Sea Class (1-day in person or online version at 
htps://www.boaterexam.com/sailing/safetyatsea/).

US Sailing Sanctioned International Offshore Safety at Sea with Hands-On-Training Class (2-day).

Equivalent World Sailing recognized course conducted by another World Sailing Member National Authority.

 

Online is sufficient. It does take a while to get through - about 3 hours of video with a quiz for each chapter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bump to get this off page 2.   Boats are slow going in this year and the high water is causing issues at many marina's   MYC banged out a great race this week with gust in the 20"s.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a nice sail yesterday.  Still trying to dial-in the new instruments.  Other than that, all is well.  Off to the Colors in Chicago next weekend!

Hroth

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Currently hanging in Sausalito getting ready for the Spin Cup on Saturday. Looking forward to some downhill sailing after the last couple of upwind Macs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

Currently hanging in Sausalito getting ready for the Spin Cup on Saturday. 

Jerk.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Currently hanging in Sausalito getting ready for the Spin Cup on Saturday. Looking forward to some downhill sailing after the last couple of upwind Macs. 

What kind of boat are you on?   I’ll bet it’s a nice one whatever it is. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Psycho Tiller said:

What kind of boat are you on?   I’ll bet it’s a nice one whatever it is. :D

I hear it’s okay, but not sure if it’s as nice as my old one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 6:52 PM, lartaunt said:

A bump to get this off page 2.   Boats are slow going in this year and the high water is causing issues at many marina's   MYC banged out a great race this week with gust in the 20"s.  

I had quite a chuckle reading this after tearing off all the destroyed deck hardware today.  We banged it out right into the stainless recycling.  Here’s to rejoining someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump.  Work bee Friday 10am MYC to build sections to stack atop existing fixed dock to get feets out of the water.  Check your emails for more details.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MBYC Commodore’s Cup is Saturday, June 22, which is the weekend before the Tripp Cup. Since the Tripp starts in Holland this year, you can do some Saturday racing around the buoys and leave your boat in Holland for a few days before the Tripp. Come on down or up And join the fun!

Link for the Commodore’s Cup is below.

https://yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks to the 30+ MYC members who put this temporary fix together on Friday!  I hope it's enough to get us through the summer...

short term fix.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trans Mi Race was fun.  Did 16 sail changes in the first 50 Miles then unfortunately the wind shut off for the rest of the day.   Finally motored in as I had obligation on Saturday but a good portion of the fleet finished.   Stripes went north and stayed in the wind the longest and won handily.  They had 19 sail changes!   Winds were 12ish at the start out of the South and gradually ramped up to 30+, and then gradually back down to zero before a shore breeze filled in around midnight.  Rhumb line was right on the conversion zone so saw winds from every angle at some point.  Challenging but, a good shake down for the Mac race.   Arma was the only casualty with failed bobstay that got the sprit excited and pointing to the sky.  McKinley Marina and Milwaukee YC took great care of us in Milwaukee!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 2:42 PM, lartaunt said:

Trans Mi Race was fun.  Did 16 sail changes in the first 50 Miles then unfortunately the wind shut off for the rest of the day.   Finally motored in as I had obligation on Saturday but a good portion of the fleet finished.   Stripes went north and stayed in the wind the longest and won handily.  They had 19 sail changes!   Winds were 12ish at the start out of the South and gradually ramped up to 30+, and then gradually back down to zero before a shore breeze filled in around midnight.  Rhumb line was right on the conversion zone so saw winds from every angle at some point.  Challenging but, a good shake down for the Mac race.   Arma was the only casualty with failed bobstay that got the sprit excited and pointing to the sky.  McKinley Marina and Milwaukee YC took great care of us in Milwaukee!

Not the best look. This is after we pushed it back down.

IMG954475(1).jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 of the 13 boats in the GH to Muskegon are 30 feet or below. Is the upwind leg just to peel them off the podium? I think its stupid. You now know my opinion even though you didn't ask. Keep it the way it has always been.  Thank you, have a nice day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

6 of the 13 boats in the GH to Muskegon are 30 feet or below. Is the upwind leg just to peel them off the podium? I think its stupid. You now know my opinion even though you didn't ask. Keep it the way it has always been.  Thank you, have a nice day. 

For years in the '80s, the feeder race for the Tripp was MKG to GH, I did a couple of years and it was always a pursuit race which is fun beyond belief and in theory, everyone finishes at the same time.  I remember one year where we were preying on a small boat while a big one was eating us up.  We finished overlapped and we ended up 2nd.  The little guy won.  Way too much fun.  

Are you implying that the course is whatever angle necessary to have a beat for some distance before heading to MKG?  Stupid doesn't scratch the surface.  Bang the guns and let them go or spend 10 minutes, get some decent people on the RC boat, and do a pursuit which again, is fun as hell.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

For years in the '80s, the feeder race for the Tripp was MKG to GH, I did a couple of years and it was always a pursuit race which is fun beyond belief and in theory, everyone finishes at the same time.  I remember one year where we were preying on a small boat while a big one was eating us up.  We finished overlapped and we ended up 2nd.  The little guy won.  Way too much fun.  

Are you implying that the course is whatever angle necessary to have a beat for some distance before heading to MKG?  Stupid doesn't scratch the surface.  Bang the guns and let them go or spend 10 minutes, get some decent people on the RC boat, and do a pursuit which again, is fun as hell.  

 

I'm thinking I may have been on that "little boat"... a custom Impulse 26 called "Jazz". For sure, I recall battling a big boat for line honors at least one year in that race. The "backwards" pursuit style of that race was indeed a great time!!!  Good memories!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, S291sailor said:

I'm thinking I may have been on that "little boat"... a custom Impulse 26 called "Jazz". For sure, I recall battling a big boat for line honors at least one year in that race. The "backwards" pursuit style of that race was indeed a great time!!!  Good memories!

Sunny Boy for that race, Vagary for many more.  I remember Jazz, a rig too complicated  for a 26' boat.  Good times, nah, great times!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, S291sailor said:

I'm thinking I may have been on that "little boat"... a custom Impulse 26 called "Jazz". For sure, I recall battling a big boat for line honors at least one year in that race. The "backwards" pursuit style of that race was indeed a great time!!!  Good memories!

I had more fun on your boat at the NOODs than a person should.  I worked bow and on the first windward leg, the wind shifts that made a jibe set very obvious.  I'm at the mast asking everyone if they've done a jibe-set, your asshole BIL was the only one that raised his hand.  The cool thing was the crew work was great because we had a person for every job.  Hoist spinner, she was on it etc.  

You did a great job driving and it was tons of fun,

Jim (still have the Scooter shirt)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 5:42 PM, TripleZeros said:

Update: 2 mile upwind leg was added to light forecast. 0 boats finished. 

Agree it didn't work.  The idea was to have an upwind start as the  normal downwind start has been a CF in the past. Some of the competitors in this race are not regular racers and their have been multiple collisions including a RC boat being hit and damaged. I was surprised they made it 2.5 miles upwind though.  Not sure the straight-line course would have gotten any or many finishers anyway though.  With the light air and chop we were barely doing 2 knots with the kite up on maximum heat and the jibe angles were ugly.  I wasn't provisioned for a 12 hour 11 mile race.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who doesn’t like a little Peerless porn?  Last night on the west side of the Lake.

E8A59CE0-3E20-4D21-AC20-4E19B849CFAF.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Methinks the pole needs to be pulled out another 10 feet......

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 4:54 PM, lartaunt said:

Agree it didn't work.  The idea was to have an upwind start as the  normal downwind start has been a CF in the past. Some of the competitors in this race are not regular racers and their have been multiple collisions including a RC boat being hit and damaged. I was surprised they made it 2.5 miles upwind though.  Not sure the straight-line course would have gotten any or many finishers anyway though.  With the light air and chop we were barely doing 2 knots with the kite up on maximum heat and the jibe angles were ugly.  I wasn't provisioned for a 12 hour 11 mile race.

 

Knew we weren't going to finish as soon as I saw the course. Wind did exactly what the high-res models said it was going to do. 

 

Fast boats would of finished the straight line course but I think the slow boats still would of gotten left out in that hole. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dcbsheb said:

Who doesn’t like a little Peerless porn?  Last night on the west side of the Lake.

E8A59CE0-3E20-4D21-AC20-4E19B849CFAF.jpeg

If it does not induce major lee helm and does not ketch shrimp when fully hoisted, it is just not large enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bump from page 3!

Apparently not a lot going on in West Michigan Lately. 

We are building a Dragon 65 RC fleet at Muskegon Yacht Club.  Is anyplace else racing them? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Bump from page 3!

Apparently not a lot going on in West Michigan Lately. 

We are building a Dragon 65 RC fleet at Muskegon Yacht Club.  Is anyplace else racing them? 

I bought a boat....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Bump from page 3!

Apparently not a lot going on in West Michigan Lately. 

We are building a Dragon 65 RC fleet at Muskegon Yacht Club.  Is anyplace else racing them? 

I am pretty sure there is a good group of folks who sail/race them all winter long out of North Cape YC just S of Monroe.  You may want to give them a shout to start.  But this was a number of years ago... It's worth a call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

I bought a boat....

AND

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 8:20 PM, Shorthanded said:

J111

Awesome !

Which boat?  Solution, Kashmir or "a player to be named later" ? 

Lots of turnover after the Worlds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/1/2019 at 4:34 PM, Shorthanded said:

I bought a boat....

Pics or it didn't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, doghouse said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

I don’t know how to post pics anymore. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last two boats were named Shorthanded and we’ll stay with that name for the 111. Looking forward to spring. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 12:05 PM, Shorthanded said:

 

F2FC30C2-CC45-4CA4-9C81-AFFB197D5912.jpeg

Very Nice!    Is that 3 now at MBYC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, lartaunt said:

Very Nice!    Is that 3 now at MBYC?

Yes, three in Holland. Looks like Solution will stay put. I almost bought it. Glad I didn’t.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Capt. Cluster said:

I was looking forward to making the bridge call in...

 

You’ll probably still do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now