Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

This will be a good summer to get my family on the boat more.  I just need to find someone who knows how to sail to take me out on it.  I do think this will be different for all boats as Fetzer said.  There will be groups of Melges 24 guys here pissed we haven't started Wednesday night racing yet and there will be groups of boats who don't feel comfortable and won't sail at all.

We have the minimum requirements set for the Chi Mac and I have 2 sails on order.  If I had to make a wager on the race happening, unfortunately I believe the smart money is on "no."

Just read that Michigan DNR-operated harbors are set to open on June 10.  That's a full 5 weeks prior to the first Mac race.  I know the availability of harbors is a big issue for the races.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Hroth

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 12:06 PM, hrothgar said:

Just read that Michigan DNR-operated harbors are set to open on June 10.  That's a full 5 weeks prior to the first Mac race.  I know the availability of harbors is a big issue for the races.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Hroth

I think it's a minor issue -  sure, affects ones' choice of harbors to hit on the way home, but Chicago/Wis boats could just head for the Wis shore, no big deal. Or hit non-DNR operated marinas.

The real issue is both on the island, and on boats, appropriate social distancing will not really be possible.

Look for both Macs to be cancelled. Chi NOOD is "postponed" until...TBD/late summer. Look for COLORS to follow suit.

45 minutes ago, JoeO said:

Look for both Macs to be cancelled.

Joe, is this purely your own speculation or do you say this with the benefit of some inside knowledge ?  Not that i'd be surprised if this comes true, just wondering how speculative your comment is...

12 hours ago, 1sailor said:

Joe, is this purely your own speculation or do you say this with the benefit of some inside knowledge ?  Not that i'd be surprised if this comes true, just wondering how speculative your comment is...

It is just my reading of the tea leaves (or maybe less) - I have no inside knowledge. Purely speculative based on what IL, MI, WI governments are doing, and the situation on Mac Is. (they are basically "closed" to the outside world). They (Mac) canceled the big Lilac festival that runs in mid-June because " These large events require significant gatherings of people, which would violate the important social distancing guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "  I just don't see it changing tremendously by mid-July.

And Grand Hotel won't be opening until June 21st.  Here is a photo from the Chip yesterday, the Island's designated opening day.  95329121_10156768193136621_8137809883035598848_o.thumb.jpg.d8df2d84f4ea4b9adbb53528618c8f08.jpg

And a pre season bike ride downtown April 22nd.  

Gonna be a lean year for a lot of good people.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2020 at 11:40 AM, Geff said:

And a pre season bike ride downtown April 22nd.  

Who's the drunk ass that left a snowmobile there on the street? At about 46 seconds in.

• Like 1

Perfectly understandable - its part of the "charm" of Mackinac Island and was taken in April.  Could be snowing the next day.

Island forecast for this week shows sub-freezings temps most night and a chance of snow next Saturday.  Surface water temp is 43 degrees.

Capture MI Forecast.JPG

On 5/2/2020 at 5:41 PM, Cal20sailor said:

Gonna be a lean year for a lot of good people.

So they might actually admit to missing out on our wallets, instead of sticking us with 3 day hotel minimums, limited "Mac Racer" menus at inflated prices and.......

• Like 1

Bayview Mackinac is still on.  This MAY mean CYC will not be called off - it is held a week after BYC has their race.  Just got this in an e-mail from BYC 

Bayview Mackinac Race Update

May 1, 2020 

It is likely that Mackinac Island will start opening in the 3rd week of June.  This is three weeks before the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race and is adequate time for us to run the Race. Due to this compressed timing there will be some required adjustments.

More on the "What Regattas Still Running thread."

Chicago Mac  is getting even more doubtful.  IL Gov just announced his five phase plan to "reopen" the state. 

Phase 2 lasts until May 29.  Then maybe Phase 3 can start.  Phase 4, which finally allows travel,  restaurants and gatherings of up to 50 people cannot start until June 26 at best.  The real world - phase 5 can't start until there's a cure or vaccine.

image.png.9ec8879009c8f36dd213e0e9b31477ba.png

Each region has to hit its targets to move to the next phase.  Expect Chicago to lag downstate.

I think we're screwed

On 4/29/2020 at 9:36 AM, MR.CLEAN said:

I agree about the onboard aspects; I race on Hoodlum where generally the afterguard works in their father's business and is rich, undereducated and trumpy (sorry guys, but I have to read your misspelled e-mails).  From my spot forward is overeducated and liberal, and we all have a great time on the boat together despite each thinking the other is a political fuckwit.

But until we get on the boat, those conservative sailors are much more likely to want to jump back into society quickly, damn the consequences, while the more educated folks are content to let this thing burn through the trumpies before we embrace re-emergence.

While my “Undereducated” brain can’t quit grasp the depth of this conversation I felt it necessary to correct just one thing Alan said ….  He USED to race on Hoodlum!

How’s my spelling now asshole?

The Afterguard

Hoodlum Racing

• Like 2

Saw Nat J in Harbor Springs today.  Must've been a cold ride up here!

Hroth

hroth, they were aiming for PH but stopped short, they said the deck was ice, all they could do was clip in and slide around.  peeps getting seasick etc

sounds pretty miserable!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1sailor said:

hroth, they were aiming for PH but stopped short, they said the deck was ice, all they could do was clip in and slide around.  peeps getting seasick etc

sounds pretty miserable!

Considering the weather up here right now, I am glad they pulled in!

Hroth

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hoodlum Racing said:

While my “Undereducated” brain can’t quit grasp the depth of this conversation I felt it necessary to correct just one thing Alan said ….  He USED to race on Hoodlum!

How’s my spelling now asshole?

The Afterguard

Hoodlum Racing

Can't fix stupid but you can fix who you hang out with!

Let me guess: You can't remember the password for your other login and it took you a week to figure out how to register a new one?

1. 100% correct on your first comment.
  2. As for my login you are 1/2 correct.  Forgot my login because I have not visited this site in years.  Because my email changed I had to create a new user.  Applied a week ago and it took the entire week for the Ed to approve me (Way to be on top of your business Tempesta).  To be honest I would not have commented if you had actually followed thru on your  promise to fix all of the Hyperbole in your original post.  You knew I was pissed but didn't care.

From the BYCmack committee today.  If I were reading the tea leaves, Bay View is making every effort to run their race.  It would probably be easier to run a race that starts and ends in the same state rather than one that starts in IL and ends in MI.  If you catch my meaning.

Hroth

May 11, 2020 - Race Communication

This is not a formal NOR amendment as we are still working with US Sailing on some small housekeeping changes that apply when using virtual marks and automated finishing. We are hoping that we will have the final input on the wording in a few days and will incorporate it into an NOR change along with this Refund Policy as an amendment #2.

2020 Entry Fee Policy

Due to the current uncertainty associated with the COVID-19 Virus, the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race has updated its refund policy by amending the Notice of Race section 7.4(c) as stated below. Please note:

• This amended policy is for the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race only and instituted solely due to uncertainty caused by the COVID-19 Virus and as a benefit to competitors in these unprecedented times.
  • 2020 entry fees applied to 2021 Bayview Mackinac Race may not cover the entire 2021 Entry Fee. The yacht would be responsible for remaining fees, if any, per the 2021 Race NOR.
  • A cash refund, or option to apply entry fee to a different race, is not available.
  • June 12, 2020 is the cutoff date for receipt of email due to logistical demands (supplier commitments based on participants, class splits, etc.)

Section 7.4 (c) is deleted in its entirety and replaced with the following:

If a yacht, which has entered and paid 100% of its entry fee by June 1, 2020, wishes to withdraw its entry in the 2020 Bayview Mackinac Race, and does so by informing the Race Chairman (mackchair2020@byc.com) and Race Administrator (linda@byc.com) by June 12, 2020, the full 2020 entry fee paid shall be applied toward the entry fee of the 2021 Bayview Mackinac Race.

In addition, a boat's entry fee will be refunded if it becomes impossible to legally conduct the race due to COVID-19 restrictions or the following resources are unavailable for the majority of the fleet:

• Dockage in Port Huron on the evening of July 10, 2020
  • Dockage after the finish
  • Commercial access to the finish location

If the race can be run, and the Race Committee starts the race there will be no refund for those registrants that chose not to participate if they have failed to notify their election to withdraw by June 12th as noted above.

• Like 2

Sounds reasonable given the situation we are all experiencing during this time.

FYI - Saw this posted in Area III (Chicago) thread.  No Queens Cup.  Might be an opportunity for the Trans Michigan race to make its mark this year:

garyedelman

Doubtful that SSYC would be in a position to do this.  This morning we received word our slips will not be open this year. 

Long story short, the April 28-May 1 storm un-did much of the progress made trying to restore the damage from the

January 9 storm. 

11 hours ago, GABA said:

FYI - Saw this posted in Area III (Chicago) thread.  No Queens Cup.  Might be an opportunity for the Trans Michigan race to make its mark this year:

garyedelman

Doubtful that SSYC would be in a position to do this.  This morning we received word our slips will not be open this year. 

Long story short, the April 28-May 1 storm un-did much of the progress made trying to restore the damage from the

January 9 storm. 

Yeah!  and Wisconsin in open for now :)

Hroth

1 hour ago, hrothgar said:

Yeah!  and Wisconsin in open for now :)

Hroth

Where in WI you gonna sail to? Not Milwaukee...

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/13/milwaukee-safer-home-order-still-place-bars-not-open-coronavirus-mayor-tom-barrett-stay-home/5188268002/

Not Racine...

https://www.tmj4.com/news/coronavirus/racine-says-it-will-continue-to-enforce-safer-at-home-measures-until-may-26

You think either of those places, or respective YCs, will all of a sudden allow dozens of out of town boats and crews to descend upon them as of June 1st?

Just to be clear, the info I cited did not say the Queens Cup was canceled.Just that our slips would not be

open this year.  I'm  assuming that the  "Horse Shoe" and possibly fuel and launch docks will be open. 

Although that was not explicitly stated, nor was a time frame.  You can read the Commodore's message

in the club's newsletter at the SSYC webpage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeO said:

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/13/milwaukee-safer-home-order-still-place-bars-not-open-coronavirus-mayor-tom-barrett-stay-home/5188268002/

Not Racine...

https://www.tmj4.com/news/coronavirus/racine-says-it-will-continue-to-enforce-safer-at-home-measures-until-may-26

You think either of those places, or respective YCs, will all of a sudden allow dozens of out of town boats and crews to descend upon them as of June 1st?

The race is to Port Washington...as of now it is on.  The race is on June 11.  Like everything, its a wait and see game.

Hroth

On 5/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, hrothgar said:

The race is to Port Washington...as of now it is on.  The race is on June 11.  Like everything, its a wait and see game.

Hroth

Ummmmm... What race?

Milwaukee/Wisconsin shore is going to get pummeled again today. 15-30 E shifting to NE. No está bien.

3 hours ago, reverend mother said:

Lake Michigan Singlehanded Society( LMSS) Doublehand race June 11.

Kind of a misnomer there and I am a lifetime member.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, festus said:

What does it look like at SSYC today?

AC569CDF-C5FB-458D-9C25-7FA7099B2A81.png

Like my girlfriend, wet.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:20 AM, JoeO said:

Not Racine...

Beer and rum prices at RYC will be confiscatory.  Got to make up for all the lost revenue.

:o

13 minutes ago, hrothgar said:

The Doubler you douchenoodle...

https://lmssonline.com/doublehanded-championship/

You should enter...

Hroth

Perfect year for shorthanded races.....Maybe I should get another boat....Or a new tractor....Or some pigs. I just can't make up my mind.

• Like 2

Headed out to race on a Wednesday night tonight for the first time in several years!  Looking forward to it!

Hroth

• Like 2

Race from Muskegon round bell buoy in Milwaukee and back. 130 miles ish. Chi Mac Saturday.  Thoughts? MYC would run it on Yachtscoring. ARMA would be in.

• Like 1

That would be fun!  Great idea!  You say Arete' would be in?

On 6/5/2020 at 7:35 PM, TripleZeros said:

Race from Muskegon round bell buoy in Milwaukee and back. 130 miles ish. Chi Mac Saturday.  Thoughts? MYC would run it on Yachtscoring. ARMA would be in.

This would be especially good if LTYC cancels the Ugotta.  All the go fast boats doing the PH Mac will be back in Muskegon.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 7:35 PM, TripleZeros said:

Though I am being HEAVILY lobbied to get the boat to PH for their race.  Delivery crews,  trailers,  and even PLEASE!  LOL

• Like 3

Point to point makes it a bit more difficult.  Just trying to make a race that doesn't require tons of planning for logistics and an out and back format does just that (for west coast of Michigan boats especially.) Nothing against the Hook, glad to see it's still on.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lartaunt said:

Though I am being HEAVILY lobbied to get the boat to PH for their race.  Delivery crews,  trailers,  and even PLEASE!  LOL

Don't forget a bottle of rum was included in those lobbying efforts.

18 hours ago, GABA said:

Hook just reached its 100 boat limit and started a waiting list:

https://www.racineyachtclub.org/hook-registration

Apparently the finish club for the Hook pulled the plug :(

FROM M&M:

Last night, the MMYC board dealt with some of the most difficult decisions that we can remember in recent history. While facing an ongoing pandemic, should we participate in and hold some of the premier sailing events on Lake Michigan?

It is with most extreme regret that we announce that we can not, in good conscience, participate at the finish of the Hook this year. It is our recommendation that the Hook not come to Menominee in 2020. Ultimately, this is an event sanctioned by Racine Yacht Club, and anyone interested should look to them for further information regarding the final status of the Hook.

For the same reason, and with the same extreme regret, we announce the cancellation - or rather, the abandonment - of this year's 100 Miler. There is no way for us to participate in these events while providing a reasonably safe situation for our club members, visiting sailors, and our community.

We understand that these were some of the very last major races still scheduled on Lake Michigan for 2020, and lots of people have been looking forward to them in hopes that we could pull things off. Likewise, we're sailors, too. We all want to sail. However, it is in the best interest of our organization, and we feel, for our community, for us to not participate in these two events this year, as they draw many people, from many different locations, to our community, which has done so well remaining relatively free from COVID.

We will request refunds for all 100 Miler registrations within the next few days. Please be patient, as it may take time for Regatta Network to process these refunds.

Further MMYC events remain suspended - not cancelled (with the exception of Meet the Fleet). If we can hold local events at some point with the resources we have available, we will find a way. It currently remains impossible to maintain the required social distance inside the MMYC clubhouse, or on a fully crewed race. There was a Members Only party penciled in on June 20. That party is also suspended.

This is a great year to go sailing. Just not as an organization.

• Like 1

Goddamn those Menominee libruls. 

WHITE YACHTS MATTER protest begins at 5 PM. 

10 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

Goddamn those Menominee libruls. 

WHITE YACHTS MATTER protest begins at 5 PM. 

Looks like RYC doesn't care what M&MYC thinks, and are planning to hold the race anyhow, w/out the participation of M&MYC. Check out the Hook Race FB page to get a sense of their plans. Film at 11 (actually 20:00 CDST). Municipal marina (as is always the case, since M&MYC has no docks of their own), local bars, that's all they think they need. Social distancing be damned.

In fact, just now :

Special Announcement

Hook Race 2020 to be held as planned.

Racine Yacht Club is pleased to announce the 37th running of the Hook Race The race will start Saturday July 18th off Racine Yacht Club and end at Menominee Marina. We would like to thank the area businesses and the Marina for their continued support.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Link to the Running of the Gauntlet Race. Starts Friday evening, June 26th (original Queen’s Cup date) in Holland. Out around the mid-lake buoy and back to Holland. 
https://www.yachtscoring.com/emenu.cfm?eID=13007

That was a fun race back in the day, I was a young pup and got my first overnight racing that course.   Near the longest day of the year and water is warming up, should be fun.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, From the Helm said:

Shorty, your thread is damn near 10 years old!  WTF

Yeah and I still think the Ed and Clean are a couple of douches. ;)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

i'm pretty sure this is the second one.  The first one goes back to when some of us met up at Bells one night.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

we're way past that by now

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MR.CLEAN said:

we're way past that by now

Yes we are. Hope you’re doing well. 

signed,

the educated afterguard. 

14 minutes ago, Looper said:

i'm pretty sure this is the second one.  The first one goes back to when some of us met up at Bells one night.

Yes, way back in time!  And From the Helm was there. Red hat night, if I recall correctly. 

I used to laugh at biminis, now, love everything about them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cal20sailor said:

I used to laugh at biminis, now, love everything about them.

Glad we had it for the delivery across the lake in early May. 

30 minutes ago, Shorthanded said:

Back on topic. We’ll be doing the Gauntlet race. Dodger has been removed. 

62084C8B-AA26-4312-A37F-88C8FE51A63E.jpeg

I know how painful that must have been. ;)

4 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

Back on topic. We’ll be doing the Gauntlet race. Dodger has been removed. 

62084C8B-AA26-4312-A37F-88C8FE51A63E.jpeg

Is that Len Siegel's former boat?

5 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

For a June race on Lake Michigan, I'd want it.

And snowmobile suits!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glass said:

Yes it is. Isn’t anonymity fun?

02147539-8045-4480-9078-EBF6ECDFE8D4.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, glass said:

And you’re right, we didn’t win squat with the Tripp 33. 

Other than build quality, the Tripp 33 was a great ride.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

Other than build quality, the Tripp 33 was a great ride.

I think you all are confusing the SR33 that Shorty had with the Tripp 33 that I had.

Agree that the Tripp 33 was a fun ride.  But the J/111 is a massive upgrade and even more fun!

Hroth

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hrothgar said:

I think you all are confusing the SR33 that Shorty had with the Tripp 33 that I had.

Agree that the Tripp 33 was a fun ride.  But the J/111 is a massive upgrade and even more fun!

Hroth

I concur. 

11 hours ago, Shorthanded said:

And you’re right, we didn’t win squat with the Tripp 33. 

One thing is for sure, both you and hrotgar must upgrade your crew so that it is equal to the demands of the new boat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

I always plead guilty to accusations of confusion.  Did 3 Macs on a Tripp 33 and many more against an SR33.  The Tripp had the build quality of a Yugo but loved breeze with sheets eased.

• Like 1

Before Multi side, I did a couple of Bayview Macs, UGottas, and a bunch of Lake Erie racing on a Tripp 33.  Fun ride with great times and smiling faces!  Didn't really do well either, but how much do all those flags and dishes really matter?

• Like 1

depends on the shittiness of one's non-sailing life, size of penis, and height

• Like 2

1 hour ago, glass said:

One thing is for sure, both you and hrotgar must upgrade your crew so that it is equal to the demands of the new boat.

You sound like you are fun at parties.

• Like 1

This was a slippery little beast last night in <7 kts. of breeze.  New owner is definitely starting to get her dialed in.  Photos courtesy of Sheboygan YC race committee.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: ocean, sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MR.CLEAN said:

depends on the shittiness of one's non-sailing life, size of penis, and height

Non sailing life = AWESOME!  Size = too small to measure    Height = short.   I'm good with it all, thanks!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dcbsheb said:

This was a slippery little beast last night in <7 kts. of breeze.  New owner is definitely starting to get her dialed in.  Photos courtesy of Sheboygan YC race committee.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: ocean, sky, mountain, outdoor, nature and water

Makes sense as to why my office FB Page is getting some random hits recently.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Hroth

Tripp 33 will go over 15 kts in a 65 knot squall with just the #3 jib up, been there.  That may be the only way it goes above 15 kts though.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TripleZeros said:

Tripp 33 will go over 15 kts in a 65 knot squall with just the #3 jib up, been there.  That may be the only way it goes above 15 kts though.

Ah yes.  I remember that...

Hroth

20 hours ago, Cal20sailor said:

I always plead guilty to accusations of confusion.  Did 3 Macs on a Tripp 33 and many more against an SR33.  The Tripp had the build quality of a Yugo but loved breeze with sheets eased.

I always felt like the boat was going to come apart when we were delivering into waves or beating into waves.  It never did though!  Maybe I got a "good one."  I learned a lot about owning a boat with the Tripp.  Lots to fix constantly!

Hroth

• Like 2

Was it a matter of poor build quality, or the fact that the things were so d@mn light?  I remember the first time I stepped onboard--the boat heeled over noticeably and stayed there.  And this was 50lbs ago.  I step on the J/35, it heels a slight bit and then rebounds.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fyschebone said:

Was it a matter of poor build quality, or the fact that the things were so d@mn light?  I remember the first time I stepped onboard--the boat heeled over noticeably and stayed there.  And this was 50lbs ago.  I step on the J/35, it heels a slight bit and then rebounds.  

Try stepping on Peerless with the keel up!  :blink:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JoeO said:

Those of us who are planning on doing the race are aware of the update.  What I don't understand is your consistent negativity toward the Mac races.  Just because the on-shore experience will be different this year does not mean the sailing will be less fun or interesting.  The opportunity to spend time sailing with friends is what I cherish most about the races.  And the competition, which will be no less intense. 

Looking forward to a great BYC-Mack!

Hroth

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hrothgar said:

Those of us who are planning on doing the race are aware of the update.  What I don't understand is your consistent negativity toward the Mac races.  Just because the on-shore experience will be different this year does not mean the sailing will be less fun or interesting.  The opportunity to spend time sailing with friends is what I cherish most about the races.  And the competition, which will be no less intense. 

Looking forward to a great BYC-Mack!

Hroth

100%

We gave up on the sport boat class and will be joining you in Class D, can't wait!

• Like 2