Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

Hunter is sort of trying the cruising cat thing

They are building the Gemini's.

Really? Sweet! Nice to put a decent name behind them.

Hey all, long time lurker... never posted, but stepping up my game. Shallow water sailor here from West Michigan. Potential crew chum if anyone is looking. Thought I would say Hi and at least bump up the thread....

There are lots of rides available in Musketucky...PM me if you are interested. We are always looking for new blood...and have some openings this year...

Hrothgar

Hey all, long time lurker... never posted, but stepping up my game. Shallow water sailor here from West Michigan. Potential crew chum if anyone is looking. Thought I would say Hi and at least bump up the thread....

What are you looking to crew on? When? (Weds nights, weekends, both?) and where? (Holland, Muskegon, Grand Haven?)

Rides are available.

I will leave the customary greetings to others.

I currently sail an MC. Not much on a bigger water boat. Just love the opportunity. Would love to sail Wednesday nights mostly (GH or MKG) as I sail the MC on the weekends. expirience

I talked to Ragged Edge last night. He sounds interested in staying in Musketucky for 2011. I think he may even look into one of the new big slips at MYC.

+1

Received confirmation last night that Ragged Edge has put his name on one of the new big slips at MYC for 2011.

RE appeared to have no regard for the safety of others or their own boat whenever i saw them race. RE also had little knowledge of the rules, if it weren't for people being smart enough to not risk their own boat even when they're in the right, there would've been some serious carnage almost every race RE was in, while they raced in Holland.

I talked to Ragged Edge last night. He sounds interested in staying in Musketucky for 2011. I think he may even look into one of the new big slips at MYC.

+1

Received confirmation last night that Ragged Edge has put his name on one of the new big slips at MYC for 2011.

RE appeared to have no regard for the safety of others or their own boat whenever i saw them race. RE also had little knowledge of the rules, if it weren't for people being smart enough to not risk their own boat even when they're in the right, there would've been some serious carnage almost every race RE was in, while they raced in Holland.

Did anybody ever protest him in Holland? I know,nobody protest on Wed nights but if what you say is true and no action taken then you have trained them that it is OK!

+1

That's odd. I've been on the same race course with Ragged Edge hundreds of times and didn't seem to notice. Maybe Muskegon sailors in general just "have no regard for the safety of others or their own boats", because RE fits right in up here.

There are lots of rides available in Musketucky...PM me if you are interested. We are always looking for new blood...and have some openings this year...

Hrothgar

So I take it the Rescue Mission is out of trimmers?

+1

That's odd. I've been on the same race course with Ragged Edge hundreds of times and didn't seem to notice. Maybe Muskegon sailors in general just "have no regard for the safety of others or their own boats", because RE fits right in up here.

+1

Hrothgar

Unfortunately I dont wax around the rescue mission much so I thought I would just post up here...

Hrothgar

Hilarious...

Hroth

Haven't made it out to MYC much this winter.

Getting the impression that the consensus is that the new docks may not be ready for my normal May 1st launch.

I am also trying to organize an OTW clinic for May at MYC. Anybody, Fetz, got the scoop on the installation schedule?

Haven't made it out to MYC much this winter.

Getting the impression that the consensus is that the new docks may not be ready for my normal May 1st launch.

I am also trying to organize an OTW clinic for May at MYC. Anybody, Fetz, got the scoop on the installation schedule?

Try to get out next Wednesday for the Winter Series...then we can all corner Fetzer and get the real story on the docks...

Hroth

How would I possibly know the real story.....

Your talent for sarcasm and obfuscation is unparalled...

Hroth

Obfuscation is the concealment of intended meaning in communication, making communication confusing, intentionally ambiguous, and more difficult to interpret

I had to look that one up...nice one. I guess that PhD is finally paying off.

Hroth

Obfuscation is the concealment of intended meaning in communication, making communication confusing, intentionally ambiguous, and more difficult to interpret

You Michigan guys are so erudite!

Hroth

You Michigan guys are so erudite!

Erudite...

–adjective

characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly: an erudite professor; an erudite commentary.

Hrothgar

while you guys are playing it COOL

som of your BYC mates are out in DAGO Kicking Arse in a HOT Fleet

SDYCF1DW1041.JPG

Out in 1st place yesterday

back in the Ice today (but they will be in the SUNSHINE for the next race too)

SDYCF1DW0190.JPG

SDYCF1DW0196.JPG

SDYCF1DW1103.JPG

wrong coast of Michigan Woody. But teh photos are nice anyway.

Damn it !!!

us merican's are geographically challenged

is it cold where you are ??

how does one get to the other side in hopes of sharing said story ??

Screw that...lets just bring on Spring...

Hroth

I thought Danes loved the cold?

I vote for another month and a half of good ice for iceboating, then a swift transition to a warm Spring.

Haz

Hroth

I vote for another month and a half of good ice for iceboating, then a swift transition to a warm Spring.

Haz

Right on! I haven't used up all my winter cards yet.

Hroth

Haz

I could live with that...especially the warm spring part

Hroth

FYI after the board meeting last night I was able to dispell a few rumors lurking around the MYC:

1. The dock project is on budget. (over in a few areas, under in others)

2. We are very near hiring a new manager. Final interviews are next Wednesday.

I will now go back to my normal posts....Whale Balls...I like booze....Fetz blows...and so on and so forth...

FYI after the board meeting last night I was able to dispell a few rumors lurking around the MYC:

1. The dock project is on budget. (over in a few areas, under in others)

2. We are very near hiring a new manager. Final interviews are next Wednesday.

I will now go back to my normal posts....Whale Balls...I like booze....Fetz blows...and so on and so forth...

I don't appreciate your tone.

Fetz blows.....what the fuck does that mean?

Last time I let you buy me a drink.

BUMP!

Iceboating - Muskegon Lake - Ramp at MYC has been cleared by a local resident and his front end loader...

BUMP!

Iceboating - Muskegon Lake - Ramp at MYC has been cleared by a local resident and his front end loader...

Did Nils over see this project?

Pics and vids for those of us who can't get there please?

I saw some jumpy handicam shots from Whistler on FB--anyone have any more pics of this weekend's sailing?

What's the scoop up at Harbor Towne? Last thing I heard was the bank had pulled the plug and foreclosed on them. 6 month right of redemption expires mid-summer. What's next?

Where does this leave the boats that dock there? Will anybody dredge the channel in and out?

Where does this leave the Clipper Cup Race if we lose one of the two organizing clubs?

What's the scoop up at Harbor Towne? Last thing I heard was the bank had pulled the plug and foreclosed on them. 6 month right of redemption expires mid-summer. What's next?

Where does this leave the boats that dock there? Will anybody dredge the channel in and out?

Where does this leave the Clipper Cup Race if we lose one of the two organizing clubs?

The crisis was allegedly with the Harbour Towne Yacht Club. The HTYC is completely separate from Harbour Towne Marina. The marina is in exceptional financial health from what I know.

The crisis was allegedly with the Harbour Towne Yacht Club. The HTYC is completely separate from Harbour Towne Marina. The marina is in exceptional financial health from what I know.

Two Area IV races are sponsored by HTYC...the GRSC/HTYC Commodore's Invitational and the Clipper Cup...if the club is/will be defunct, then how should that impact the Area IV series, especially in terms of qualifying races for season awards?

Hroth

Two Area IV races are sponsored by HTYC...the GRSC/HTYC Commodore's Invitational and the Clipper Cup...if the club is/will be defunct, then how should that impact the Area IV series, especially in terms of qualifying races for season awards?

Hroth

Couldn't be any worse than how their inability to score races the past few years impacted things.

Hroth

Couldn't be any worse than how their inability to score races the past few years impacted things.

Certainly true with the GH race...I can't comment on the Clipper Cup cause we haven't done that one but we are hoping to do that race this year and it would be a shame if the race didn't happen

Hroth

This post will no doubt generate a lot of sarcastic crap...especially from Fetzer...but I feel compelled to start getting us all talking about the upcoming season. The crew of STD is psyched for the year. We will focus on the Area IV events (while still respecting the wife's wishes to not sail 3 weeks in a row) and leave Wednesday nights for our sailing version of Golf League...

Looking forward to a great year. Hope there will be a lot of boats out on the line for the Area IV stuff.

What are everyone else's plans?

Hroth

This post will no doubt generate a lot of sarcastic crap...especially from Fetzer...but I feel compelled to start getting us all talking about the upcoming season. The crew of STD is psyched for the year. We will focus on the Area IV events (while still respecting the wife's wishes to not sail 3 weeks in a row) and leave Wednesday nights for our sailing version of Golf League...

Looking forward to a great year. Hope there will be a lot of boats out on the line for the Area IV stuff.

Hroth

No comment

Hroth

I'm looking forward to waving at the neighbors from the new docks.

As much as you guys talk about the new docks, someone stumbling on this thread would think you guys have a bunch of floating condos. Tied up at the dock all summer, inseparable from shore power, maybe some potted geraniums hanging from the stern rail.... :wacko: If you aren't careful, Dawg will move this thread to Cruising Anarchy.

Can't wait until the ice thaws and we can start talking smack about racing again.

As much as you guys talk about the new docks, someone stumbling on this thread would think you guys have a bunch of floating condos. Tied up at the dock all summer, inseparable from shore power, maybe some potted geraniums hanging from the stern rail.... :wacko: If you aren't careful, Dawg will move this thread to Cruising Anarchy.

Can't wait until the ice thaws and we can start talking smack about racing again.

Funny you should mention it, there's been some talk of getting shorepower for a couple of the M24s. ;)

Hmmm potted geraniums, wonder if that might be "PHRF rating friendly mod"? Perhaps worth +3 sec?

I got the racing agenda from the owner/skipper of Aftershock, and we are in for all MYC stuff including Wednesday nights. There may have been some dis-information scattered about, so I hope this will help clear that up. Now I am ready for summer, lets go racing!

I got the racing agenda from the owner/skipper of Aftershock, and we are in for all MYC stuff including Wednesday nights. There may have been some dis-information scattered about, so I hope this will help clear that up. Now I am ready for summer, lets go racing!

Good to hear it.

Cool, will you be doing the mac also as in previous years, would love to see a J-35 OD start. 3 35's from Muskegon already signed up, 2 Chicago area boats, and at the owners meeting in Chicago there was a verbal commitment from one of the Milwaukee based boats.

Cool, will you be doing the mac also as in previous years, would love to see a J-35 OD start. 3 35's from Muskegon already signed up, 2 Chicago area boats, and at the owners meeting in Chicago there was a verbal commitment from one of the Milwaukee based boats.

Nope, no mac. NOOD and VERVE may be the only away events.

Bummer no Mac...you guys always do well

Hroth

On the news this weekend I saw the footage of the "World Record Rubber Chicken Toss" in downtown GR. Couldn't help but wonder:

Was Dislexic Dog downtown tossing a rubber chicken?

Did DDog swipe a new rubber chicken for the backstay of the 7.9 ?

Inquiring minds want to know :P

MYC race committee invites you to the third and final Wednesday night racing session for this winter this Wednesday night. You and your crew are ecouraged to attend and have some fun. Chowder will be provided and you can also order from the menu.

5.30 Social

6.00 Chowder

6.15 Session starts

Hroth

MYC race committee invites you to the third and final Wednesday night racing session for this winter this Wednesday night. You and your crew are ecouraged to attend and have some fun. Chowder will be provided and you can also order from the menu.

5.30 Social

6.00 Chowder

6.15 Session starts

Hroth

What is the "session" about ?

5.30 Social

6.00 Chowder

6.15 Session starts

Hroth

What is the "session" about ?

Whatever Peter decides it should be about...

Hroth

Mac Race? Queens Cup? NOOD? Harbor Springs?

Mac Race? Queens Cup? NOOD? Harbor Springs?

most likely the NOOD and the Verve, I am not sure about the queens, but I doubt it. No Mac or Harbor Springs either.

Anybody attend the MYC RC get to gether last night?

Anything New?

Actually going to go look at the boat on Sat. Haven't seen it since October.

Anything New?

Was nice another good job by PB and his guest speakers. Hard to believe we will all be out there in about 8 weeks or so-looking forward to it.

Anything New?

Two big takeaways:

1. Don't be over early

2. Don't hit anyone

Hroth

Anything New?

Two big takeaways:

1. Don't be over early

2. Don't hit anyone

Hroth

Good to know!

Anything New?

I did get a laugh out of it when discussing the black flag rule it was noted that coincidentally the class flag for a certain larger Chicago Offshore OD fleet was the same.

Anything New?

Two big takeaways:

1. Don't be over early

2. Don't hit anyone

Hroth

Good to know!

WOW, sorry I missed it!

My business partner just sent me this one. Could be front page material. Apparently a charter company in Chicago has solved some issue in an unusual way. wonder what the PHRF hit is for using "Magic" and a "thin coushion of air" and why the hell didn't I think of this?! :lol:

The Daily Deal for

Chicago

Monday, March 21, 2011

follow us:

$199 for 2.5 Hours of Semi-Private Sailing for Two People on "Pianissimo" with Lakeshore Sail Charters (Up to $487.50 Value)

$199

Value

$487

Discount

59%

You Save

$288

The Company

Lakeshore Sail Charters

Locations

Redeem on location

A sea voyage is like a trackless train ride across the water fields, relying only on the principles of physics and magic to keep your vessel floating above the water on a thin cushion of air. Unfurl your sea wings with today’s Groupon: for $199, you get 2.5 hours of semi-private sailing for two people on Pianissimo from Lakeshore Sail Charters (up to a $487.50 value).

Lakeshore Sail Charters guides seafarers on a serene, luxurious cruise around Lake Michigan, enticing passengers to relax on board one of the three ships in its fleet—including Pianissimo, a 2011 Beneteau Oceanis 50. On each voyage, aqua-adventurers are guided by the steady, calloused hands and windblown visages of U.S. Coast Guard–licensed Captain Bruce Randall and the ship’s doctor, Karen Randall. At the whim of the wind's desire, no two tours on Pianissimo are alike. In between basking in the picturesque skyline views, passengers can peruse Pianissimo's amenities, including a radio, a CD player for playing Arnold Schwarzenegger Making Ocean Sounds, and a microwave.

Sailing times are at 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. Mondays–Fridays and 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. Saturdays and Sundays. The Wednesday 8 p.m. sail requires an additional fee of $30 per person.

Read More »

Holland Area Sailing Council - Wednesday night race seminars at Mac Bay

Join us this spring for three Wednesday night racing workshops!

* The programs are all free

* Bring your crew and sailing friends; everyone is welcome

Hosted by Macatawa Bay Yacht Club.

The club will be open at 6p.m. for drinks and select menu items from the grill.

Schedule:

6 p.m. Club, bar, and grill open

6:45 p.m.-8:30 Program

8:30-9:00 Bar open

Dates and Programs:

Wed, April 6: Upwind trim, tactics, strategy, and rules; content courtesy of North U.

Wed. April 13: Downwind trim, tactics, strategy, and rules; content courtesy of North U.

Wed, April 20: Crewing; content courtesy of North U, and a discussion panel with local skippers on building a successful crew

>> Next event: Bayshore Yacht Club Wednesday Night Race Program Skippers Meeting at Bayshore

Hroth

As of yesterday, Aftershock is signed up for the Mac. Harbor Springs is not decided yet.

Hroth

As of yesterday, Aftershock is signed up for the Mac. Harbor Springs is not decided yet.

Hey your up there any way!! Ugotta Regatta! :lol:

Hroth

Glad you will be joining us. Now we just need to convince the Milwaukee contingent to race with us rather than the DH division.

Glad you will be joining us. Now we just need to convince the Milwaukee contingent to race with us rather than the DH division.

I heard from Milwaukee yesterday and it is not looking good. Looks like they are going DH. <_<

So much for the verbal commitment at the meeting, to each his own I guess. Am just happy that MYC is bringing 4 OD boats to the event, two more cities with that kind of representation and we would be set. :-)

WOW, sorry I missed it!

Seadog

you going to make it back out on the water this season? Body and boat healed?

WOW, sorry I missed it!

Seadog

you going to make it back out on the water this season? Body and boat healed?

Saw SeaDog a couple weeks ago. Body seems to be healed up pretty good, boat not so much. Still tied up with the godforsaken lawyers. Doesn't sound like she's going to splash this season.