• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  
Shorthanded

West Michigan Thread

So much for the verbal commitment at the meeting, to each his own I guess. Am just happy that MYC is bringing 4 OD boats to the event, two more cities with that kind of representation and we would be set. :-)

We may have this fixed! Should know by the end of the week. Level 35 section! :D

Excellent to hear! Good luck with getting a level section. That will make it so much easier on Ron.

Schock 35s and Thomas 35s from Chicago considering joining the fun. Question is, section like GL70s - still handicapped, or OD/level like T-10s?

I think GL70 style would be more palatable to all.

Nope. CYC won't allow it and is having fits about the GL-70's which is why getting this set up has been difficult. We will race level in the section and use the fastest rating of the section for the all the boats. Shocks have the fastest ratings in ORR. J/35 are slowest and a fair range within the J/35 fleet themselves. BD was IRR measured in 89 by the previous owner so they use those measurements for BD others get the 1d measurement or have only been free board measured. J35 and the Thomas's have raced level in Lake Huron for years very successfully. Going 1D and not having the 51 ft C&C in our class to waterline us to death if the wind kicks up on a reach :D

Nope. CYC won't allow it and is having fits about the GL-70's which is why getting this set up has been difficult. We will race level in the section and use the fastest rating of the section for the all the boats. Shocks have the fastest ratings in ORR. J/35 are slowest and a fair range within the J/35 fleet themselves. BD was IRR measured in 89 by the previous owner so they use those measurements for BD others get the 1d measurement or have only been free board measured. J35 and the Thomas's have raced level in Lake Huron for years very successfully. Going 1D and not having the 51 ft C&C in our class to waterline us to death if the wind kicks up on a reach :D

Have you taken this up with the Chief Measurer of the Chi Mac race yet? I can bring it to his attention if you would like.

Who exactly at CYC is having an issue with the GL 70s?

Sam,

That particular comment I did not hear first hand as I turned this project over to one of our Chicago based owners who are enjoying retirement and have more time than I but It was a Sean (something) that my contact was talking to directly. Mentioned the GL-70's GL-36 class that had tried to combine non one design boats into a level fleet. Arguement is that in ORR there is significant range in the J/35 fleet alone let alone when you put in the Thomas and the Schock (which both owe time to the J/35 in ORR apparently) In our case the slowese rated J/35 would give up over an hour on handicap rating to the fleet in the MAC race if they used the fastest rating in the fleet as the level number, which is what they want us to do.

I don't really see that it is that difficult really, use the ORR handicap to score us in fleet and elaped time to score us in section. Apparently that is what they do in BYC race but CYC does not want to do that. Sounds like they have had some bad experiences before. I can understand that and it is their race. I think we will all ultimately agree to race level under their rules if they don't budge but it may not get done for this year. We only needed 1 more J/35 and we could have avoided this whole thing :(

Have you taken this up with the Chief Measurer of the Chi Mac race yet? I can bring it to his attention if you would like.

RW has been involved in the discussions and was the one who originally said a flat no to the level 35 idea. They have been more willing to talk about it since then and we seem to be making progress but again may not help for this year

Ok. Just thought I'd help with RW if I could. Glad at least it is being talked about. Maybe that one J35 will show up and take all the issues away.

Who exactly at CYC is having an issue with the GL 70s?

Sam,

That particular comment I did not hear first hand as I turned this project over to one of our Chicago based owners who are enjoying retirement and have more time than I but It was a Sean (something) that my contact was talking to directly. Mentioned the GL-70's GL-36 class that had tried to combine non one design boats into a level fleet. Arguement is that in ORR there is significant range in the J/35 fleet alone let alone when you put in the Thomas and the Schock (which both owe time to the J/35 in ORR apparently) In our case the slowese rated J/35 would give up over an hour on handicap rating to the fleet in the MAC race if they used the fastest rating in the fleet as the level number, which is what they want us to do.

I don't really see that it is that difficult really, use the ORR handicap to score us in fleet and elaped time to score us in section. Apparently that is what they do in BYC race but CYC does not want to do that. Sounds like they have had some bad experiences before. I can understand that and it is their race. I think we will all ultimately agree to race level under their rules if they don't budge but it may not get done for this year. We only needed 1 more J/35 and we could have avoided this whole thing :(

Well, my issue was with stating that the CYC has/had an issue with the GL 70s. Not to say that there have not been issues over the years, but not an ORR issue. Our class has been a significant supporter of ORR. The issue may have been that CYC want to put non complying boats into the GL 70 class. When I say non complying I mean boats that do not comply with the GL 70 bylaws. If that is an issue,so be it as it would then just be an ORR class of whatever rating. Our class would simply rescore for the season standings within the class. That being said, we hope to keep sailing as a class.

And for what it is worth, Sean O'Neil has never voiced a word of issue to me about any issue.

Thanks for your response...

Well, my issue was with stating that the CYC has/had an issue with the GL 70s. Not to say that there have not been issues over the years, but not an ORR issue. Our class has been a significant supporter of ORR. The issue may have been that CYC want to put non complying boats into the GL 70 class. When I say non complying I mean boats that do not comply with the GL 70 bylaws. If that is an issue,so be it as it would then just be an ORR class of whatever rating. Our class would simply rescore for the season standings within the class. That being said, we hope to keep sailing as a class.

And for what it is worth, Sean O'Neil has never voiced a word of issue to me about any issue.

Thanks for your response...

Fair enough! I think CYC is tired of getting into the middle of "issues" period which is absolutely understandable. GL's were just an example we were given of a rating diverse one design. Bottom line they want it settled before not after which makes sense.

The GL-70's are still the coolest boat on the Lake as far as I am concerned even in their third decade. Just wish we would see them out to play more. Is the Muskegon GL 70 regatta on the schedule really happening?

Are the new docks at Muskegon Yacht Club going to be completed by launch day ?

Depends when launch day is....

RW has been involved in the discussions and was the one who originally said a flat no to the level 35 idea. They have been more willing to talk about it since then and we seem to be making progress but again may not help for this year

Actually, the Level 35 section started out in the Chicago-Mac in the early '90s and was adopted afterwards by BYC.

Instigated by Lindy Thomas and a few other owners. Based on PHRF ratings. The rating bands were much tighter then - Js were level, T were level and the difference for Mac was 14:28 - very successful for a few years until the boats started to leave Chicago. So successful that it was even used in the Chicago NOOD for a while. Scoring varied a little from year to year, but....

In 1995 we had 21 boats on the line in PHRF 4 - 15 Js & 6 Ts - there were other boats with the same rating (66) in PHRF 3. In 1995, the boats were scored level in fleet and in section.

So, there IS precedent at CYC and for the Mac to provide sections on request and to keep boats like Challenge from muddying the competitive waters.

2011 MYC Race Schedule

Date Day Time Event

11 May-11 Wednesday 6:15 PM Wednesday Challenge Trophy Spring

14 May-11 Saturday 8:00 AM Launch Day-MYC

21-22 May-11 Sat/Sun See NOR MYC Melges 24 Regatta

Actually, the Level 35 section started out in the Chicago-Mac in the early '90s and was adopted afterwards by BYC.

Instigated by Lindy Thomas and a few other owners. Based on PHRF ratings. The rating bands were much tighter then - Js were level, T were level and the difference for Mac was 14:28 - very successful for a few years until the boats started to leave Chicago. So successful that it was even used in the Chicago NOOD for a while. Scoring varied a little from year to year, but....

In 1995 we had 21 boats on the line in PHRF 4 - 15 Js & 6 Ts - there were other boats with the same rating (66) in PHRF 3. In 1995, the boats were scored level in fleet and in section.

So, there IS precedent at CYC and for the Mac to provide sections on request and to keep boats like Challenge from muddying the competitive waters.

Thanks for filling in the History. My involvement with the fleet only goes back to 97!

Got an email from the Lake Express today. Thinking ahead to Queen's. One-way tickets in steerage are $95 + $10 fuel surcharge + $6 security surcharge. Premier seating one-way is $106.50 + the surcharges.

http://www.lake-express.com/pricing/index.aspx

Time for me to finally do the Tripp Cup.

Or a weather dependent motoring alternative. One year it was glass calm and we motored over. Had someone up the mast trying to re-feed a halyard and we all "fell asleep" back down on the deck. Eventually got woken up by his screaming about numbness in sensative areas. :lol:

Always do the Tripp Cup...its a fun race. First time I did it we had 3 on the boat. Finished last in class but beat Windquest corrected. That was the STD's first trip on Lake Michigan. Since then, things have improved with a full crew but its an easy 'delivery' race.

Hroth

Got an email from the Lake Express today. Thinking ahead to Queen's. One-way tickets in steerage are $95 + $10 fuel surcharge + $6 security surcharge. Premier seating one-way is $106.50 + the surcharges.

http://www.lake-expr...cing/index.aspx

Time for me to finally do the Tripp Cup.

Or a weather dependent motoring alternative. One year it was glass calm and we motored over. Had someone up the mast trying to re-feed a halyard and we all "fell asleep" back down on the deck. Eventually got woken up by his screaming about numbness in sensative areas. :lol:

Now that is funny!

Always do the Tripp Cup...its a fun race. First time I did it we had 3 on the boat. Finished last in class but beat Windquest corrected. That was the STD's first trip on Lake Michigan. Since then, things have improved with a full crew but its an easy 'delivery' race.

Hroth

Right on! Especially when you get to Milwaukee in around 5 hours. We made it to SSYC and all tied up with just over an hour for their last call one year. Gotta love it!

Hroth

Right on! Especially when you get to Milwaukee in around 5 hours. We made it to SSYC and all tied up with just over an hour for their last call one year. Gotta love it!

You know B for someone without a boat you seem awful fired up about sailing this year. How long are you going to last boatless?? :) (not that you won't have lots of offers to sail OPB"S)

Hroth

You know B for someone without a boat you seem awful fired up about sailing this year. How long are you going to last boatless?? :) (not that you won't have lots of offers to sail OPB"S)

It is just fun being an armchair sailor right now and living vicariously through all of you! Will probably be boatless for awhile...sort of nice rebuilding the bank acct a bit. Got rides for the Chi and Bayview Mac though on OPBs. Looking forward to seeing you around at different venues though. Great times!

Did a little more digging in my personal archive.

1988 IMS 4 LR-10 ratings, 561.3-571.1. 13 j-35 no t-35 22 boat section Frers 42 biggest boat in section N/M 34 smallest. Js at both ends of the range.

1989 IMS 4 LR-10 ratings 563.3-572.8 15 j-35 no t-35 24 boats - but, 4 t-35 and 2 j-35 in IMS 3

1990 IMS 3 GPR ratings 613.7-621.9 4 t-35 IMS 4 ratings 622.0-630.5 14 j-35 2 t-35, 1j-35 in IMS 5

1991 IOR C RATING 34.13-31.15 13 j-35 10 t-35 - "level class" 4 j-35 in IMS 4

1992 LMPHRF 3 rating 65 16 j-35 9 t-35 level class

1993 LMPHRF 5 rating 66 13 j-35 7 t-35 level class

1994 LMPHRF 4 rating 66 16 j-35 8 t-35 level class

1995 PHRF 4 rating 66 15 j-35 6 t-35 level class

1996 PHRF 4 rating 66 15 j-35 one design PHRF 5 rating 69-75 5 t-35 (2 @ 69 & 3 @ 72)

1997 PHRF 4 rating 69 10 j-35 4 t-35 level class

1998 - 2000 j-35 one design.....

1988 IMS 4 LR-10 ratings, 561.3-571.1. 13 j-35 no t-35 22 boat section Frers 42 biggest boat in section N/M 34 smallest. Js at both ends of the range.

1989 IMS 4 LR-10 ratings 563.3-572.8 15 j-35 no t-35 24 boats - but, 4 t-35 and 2 j-35 in IMS 3

1990 IMS 3 GPR ratings 613.7-621.9 4 t-35 IMS 4 ratings 622.0-630.5 14 j-35 2 t-35, 1j-35 in IMS 5

1996 PHRF 4 rating 66 15 j-35 one design PHRF 5 rating 69-75 5 t-35 (2 @ 69 & 3 @ 72)

Thats a lot of numbers...too many for this early in the AM.

Hroth

Two observations

1. Quite a run for the class! We have almost as many boats on Lake Mi as back then if we can get them out to race!

2. You must have a lot of free time on your hands :lol:

thank for continued history lesson.

Two observations

1. Quite a run for the class! We have almost as many boats on Lake Mi as back then if we can get them out to race!

2. You must have a lot of free time on your hands :lol:

thank for continued history lesson.

Was moving a file cabinet prior to laying down a new wood floor and found a collection of old scratch books in one of the drawers. Couldn't do boat work in the rain and snow so looking through the old books for a few minutes seemed an appropriate time waster for an April evening.

I guess the point of those numbers isn't past glory for the section, but rather that the precedent a combined section was set by CYC long ago. And, multiple rating rules and scoring schemes were used. Total fleet size wasn't more than about 10% less (300+) and the starts on 10 minutes. The biggest difference between then and now is that then it was driven by some members of CYC having clout. The technology today makes it even easier to do custom scoring.

The rationale for not allowing it today is bogus. It's already been done, successfully, under arguably more difficult circumstances.

I guess the point of those numbers isn't past glory for the section, but rather that the precedent a combined section was set by CYC long ago. And, multiple rating rules and scoring schemes were used. Total fleet size wasn't more than about 10% less (300+) and the starts on 10 minutes. The biggest difference between then and now is that then :huh:it was driven by some members of CYC having clout. The technology today makes it even easier to do custom scoring.

The rationale for not allowing it today is bogus. It's already been done, successfully, under arguably more difficult circumstances.

You put your finger on it.

CYC Member with clout explains it all.

Applies equally to the use of "ghost boats" to get an OD section at the NOOD, Mac or Verve

Slip assignments on the Island

And especially the inner workings of the protest committee in Chicago

Anyone else depressed about the launch delays in Muskegon?

Hroth

Nah ... life's too short to let inevitable project delays get you down. I think it'll be worth the wait!

Haz

Hroth

Nah ... life's too short to let inevitable project delays get you down. I think it'll be worth the wait!

Haz

You don't have a boat going in a slip, I agree I think it will be worth the wait, it is what it is.

Hroth

Haz

You don't have a boat going in a slip, I agree I think it will be worth the wait, it is what it is.

A Lionel Train Set will help pass the time until launch and stave off some of those splash date blues...tongue.gif

Hroth

Haz

A Lionel Train Set will help pass the time until launch and stave off some of those splash date blues...tongue.gif

I would assume that when it blows 30 all week it will delay the project a bit as well....

Hroth

Haz

I would assume that when it blows 30 all week it will delay the project a bit as well....

Why would that be? do we need perfect weather to install docks? I hope that all the rain today didn't set people back too much.

Hroth

Why would that be? do we need perfect weather to install docks? I hope that all the rain today didn't set people back too much.

Hroth

Rain is irrelevant. It's the wind.

This has been the most heavy east wind I've ever seen this time of year. It was blowing 25 out of the NE again this morning. The dredgers have been able to work 3 days in the past 2 weeks. It's slow going.

Don't worry Hroth...you're all hooked up.

Hroth

Rain is irrelevant. It's the wind.

This has been the most heavy east wind I've ever seen this time of year. It was blowing 25 out of the NE again this morning. The dredgers have been able to work 3 days in the past 2 weeks. It's slow going.

Don't worry Hroth...you're all hooked up.

You are my hero...can't believe I'm hoping for calm winds...

Hroth

Hroth

I am. :(

We are going to be in the mooring field in front of MYC. Does anyone know if the docks need to be installed before the moorings get installed for the season?

Oh, well. Technically my boats not ready to launch yet. But this weekend I am installing the new Speed/Depth instruments. After that is done, every day SevenSundays isn't floating will be torture...

Hroth

We are going to be in the mooring field in front of MYC. Does anyone know if the docks need to be installed before the moorings get installed for the season?

Oh, well. Technically my boats not ready to launch yet. But this weekend I am installing the new Speed/Depth instruments. After that is done, every day SevenSundays isn't floating will be torture...

My guess is once the weather gives us a break, that lots of activity will happen very quickly and by early June, this will all be in our past and we will be enjoying the new and improved MYC...

Hroth

Hroth

My guess is once the weather gives us a break, that lots of activity will happen very quickly and by early June, this will all be in our past and we will be enjoying the new and improved MYC...

Hroth

Can't wait to swing by and see it this summer.

Hey guys,

I figure SA is the place to look for some help. I'm launching my 1966 Pearson Coaster 30 at Torresen's on the third and don't yet have a place to put it. Here's the thing: My buddy are leaving on May 22nd to head south for a 5 month, post-college, pre-marriage cruising adventure, so I'm really only looking for a slip for 3 short weeks while we do our final preparations! (more details about our trip here: www.svwally.com)

Can anyone help us? We could possibly pay a little bit of money, but we are on a really tight budget... If you aren't going to be launching till late May, this is a great chance to help some college guys fulfill their cruising dream. Thanks in advance!

Alex

West Michigans own Curt Porter (Cport)got a picture on the mythical "Front Page" from his new digs in Newport RI.

Congrats Curt! Tell Ken to bring her to Chicago for the MAC race as a tune up! :lol:

West Michigans own Curt Porter (Cport)got a picture on the mythical "Front Page" from his new digs in Newport RI.

Congrats Curt! Tell Ken to bring her to Chicago for the MAC race as a tune up! :lol:

fyschebone already sent me hate mail for beating him to it.....

fyschebone already sent me hate mail for beating him to it.....

Very nicely done Curt!

"Nice Pair" is officially SOLD! All the paperwork, etc. is now signed, sealed and delivered. It should be leaving the Great Lakes area in the next month or so and is being trucked out West. Her new owner plans to have her on SF Bay all dollied up and ready for when the AC is there in 2013.

"Nice Pair" is officially SOLD! All the paperwork, etc. is now signed, sealed and delivered. It should be leaving the Great Lakes area in the next month or so and is being trucked out West. Her new owner plans to have her on SF Bay all dollied up and ready for when the AC is there in 2013.

Will it stop on the way to SF to kiss the rocks at HB goodbye? Or was it PS? :)

Congratulations, I couldn't see the program working without your ownership.

Will it stop on the way to SF to kiss the rocks at HB goodbye? Or was it PS? :)

Congratulations, I couldn't see the program working without your ownership.

Good one! You never know. She just may do that. And thanks! for the supportive thought.

Progress.

It was fun watching that piece getting floated over to MYC Sunday afternoon and tied up against the old pilings...progress indeed.

Hroth

Progress.

How much is under water? It looked to be 12 foot tall or so when it was out of the water but I never got a real good look at it.

Progress.

How much is under water? It looked to be 12 foot tall or so when it was out of the water but I never got a real good look at it.

I heard about 8 feet under water...

Hroth

Progress.

I heard about 8 feet under water...

Hroth

It's highly classified....

We have your new mooring chain in stock now! Be the first to have this revolutionary new super heavy chain, if you buy today the first 5 feet are free.

New? Does it come pre-oxidized? :)

We have your new mooring chain in stock now! Be the first to have this revolutionary new super heavy chain, if you buy today the first 5 feet are free.

How many links in that free offer? 2? Hard to tell with nothing to scale it by. That ought to hold the new atenuator in place though.

How many links in that free offer? 2? Hard to tell with nothing to scale it by. That ought to hold the new atenuator in place though.

What the heck are you talking about? I googled atenuator and I still don't understand!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See also: Attenuation and Attenuation (disambiguation)

An attenuator could mean:

Attenuator (electronics), an electronic device that reduces the amplitude of a signal

Optical attenuator, a device or instrument to reduce light power

Attenuator (genetics), a specific regulatory sequence transcribed into RNA

Impact attenuator, used on highways as a crumple zone in case of a car crash

http://www.thedockdoctors.com/wave-attenuators

This isn't the MYC design, but I believe he is referring to the outermost section of the new dock at MYC. It has a wave attenuation system in it.

yep missed a "T" sorry, sue me! :lol:

Free initial consultation...

just like a drug dealer... first hit's free....

or so i'm told...

Big thanks to Scott and the rest of the crew at SLYC for great Mothers Day regatta weekend!

SG

Just bought a GoPro HD video cam...should be cool strapped to the stern rail this summer. Fun times on the STD though I suppose not all will be safe for work.

Hroth

I'm getting seriously psyched for sailing...in the last day, I have:

1. ordered new parachute flares for the MAC

2. sent the MOM8 back in for recertification

3. entered the LMSRF Area IV events

4. entered the SHYC Invitational

5. secured a hotel and slip in South Haven

6. Worked about 3 hours...(just kidding)

heading to the boat this afternoon to calibrate the new autopilot and get things sorted for our first practice on Thursday.

good times!

Hroth

heading to the boat this afternoon to calibrate the new autopilot and get things sorted for our first practice on Thursday.

good times!

Hroth

Nice! In the past several days I have invested my check from the guy who boat the boat. cycled a lot, thought about all the checks I used to write, and all the time I used to spend driving down to the boat to get it ready for the season, etc. tongue.gif So Glad those days are gone now...cool.gif

Geff, you've reached the Nirvana of non-ownership....give it a few weeks. Let a full moon night with 15 knots from SSW blow through the porch while you are adjusting the brakes on your bike with a beer in your hand and you'll find yourself looking at boat porn on the SA classifieds.

good times!

Hroth

Nice! In the past several days I have invested my check from the guy who boat the boat. cycled a lot, thought about all the checks I used to write, and all the time I used to spend driving down to the boat to get it ready for the season, etc. tongue.gif So Glad those days are gone now...cool.gif

you'll miss it boss..... for sure ;)

Got my Mac rides all set on OPBs, yes Multis, and not missing a thing. Will get that on the water feeling back soon enough when I help deliver. You guys just cracked me up and put that old familiar smile on my face though...Thanks! Too funny!!!! tongue.gif

lots of work going on at MYC yesterday. I believe they are supposed to pour concrete today...

Pics or it never happened!

Hroth

While I am unable to confirm that the boat is in the water, I am pleased to report that the MYC bar is still there.

Priorities...

Interestingly and surprisingly, the Bar was closed Tuesday last time as was at our boat (which is in the water).

Hroth

While I am unable to confirm that the boat is in the water, I am pleased to report that the MYC bar is still there.

Priorities...

Interestingly and surprisingly, the Bar was closed Tuesday last time as was at our boat (which is in the water).

Hroth

Tuesdays aren't surprising .... there's rarely enough traffic to justify paying employees to have the club open. We were asked about the need to open the club for the Tuesday evening racers and told 'em not to bother ... we party in the parking lot at the boats, it was rare for anyone to go inside.

Haz

Priorities...

Hroth

Tuesdays aren't surprising .... there's rarely enough traffic to justify paying employees to have the club open. We were asked about the need to open the club for the Tuesday evening racers and told 'em not to bother ... we party in the parking lot at the boats, it was rare for anyone to go inside.

Haz

I think they could save even more on employee salaries if the bar was always closed......

[

I think they could save even more on employee salaries if the bar was always closed......

True ... ya gotsta make choices.

(No employees were harmed in the course of this discussion)

First race in Muskegon this Wednesday, May 18th!

Hroth

I am in! Not sure how many will join us but we are sailing one way or the other on Wed. B)

[

Perhaps an ATM style machine on the front lawn that dispensed drinks 24/7?

[

Perhaps an ATM style machine on the front lawn that dispensed drinks 24/7?

God damn it that's brilliant! Unfortunately there is no front lawn (or back lawn depending on what you call the side towards the lake) right now.

Melges event is 100% on! Johnny will adapt and overcome all adversity to make sure all competitors get completely shit-faced.

First race in Muskegon this Wednesday, May 18th!

Hroth

I am in! Not sure how many will join us but we are sailing one way or the other on Wed. B)

It might be just the 2 of us!

Hroth