Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eric e

anti-pitchpole holes?

so what's happening jeremy?

you been leaked?

the holes in the bow are to seperate flow and prevent pitchpoling. Also note, that on a broad reach, you can drive these "ventalators" and gain two knots on those not driving the bow down. Kind of like the dimples on a golf ball.

He (Jeremy) was part of the testing and has been sworn to secrecy. Hobie plans to launch a new F-18 with this inovation early next year. It's the first serious upgrade to the Wildcat

http://www.hobie-cat.net/download/catalogue/gb/hi_res/16tatoo.pdf#search=%22hobie%2016%27%20tatoo%22

post-23477-076634100 1293167722_thumb.jpg

post-23477-072978200 1293167993_thumb.jpg

post-23477-087214400 1293168444_thumb.jpg

I really like it actually, the perfect boat for someone who wants something a little faster then a Wave yet still is easy to sail.

That and the anti-pitchpole holes, obviously...

I'll believe it when I see it, the holes that is. I see those creating more drag when under water than lift and thus making the boat more likely to pitch pole.

What I don't understand is why Hobie is making a rotomolded F16? The hull shape looks like a 2' shorter Wildcat; all they needed to do was to make the thing fiberglass and put a more modern rig on it and you'd have a Hobie F16. They could sell the same platform with the rig pictured above for the recreational market.

I mean, I would buy one of these over a wave for sure, but the two markets on platform idea just makes sense. I guess Hobie feel they can't be competitive in the F16 market at this time, neither does Nacra for that matter.

Is it my imagination, but are those holes EXACTLY the diameter of a beercan?

I don't see how the holes would make it less prone to pitchpole. I would think cavitation and air bubbles would actually make things worse, but I'm not engineer. The do look like nice handles though. I think Jeremy is pulling everyone's prick.

neither does Nacra for that matter.

NACRA is supposed to have an F16 out in 2011.

I really like it actually, the perfect boat for someone who wants something a little faster then a Wave yet still is easy to sail.

That and the anti-pitchpole holes, obviously...

Handholds to pull the boat up the beach?

Plenty of other places to hold the boat when on the beach. Bob had it right, these are clearly for making sure your beer stays relatively cool when sailing.

I don't know if those two holes actually do the trick, but introducing air into water that travels above the deck to effectivly make it "less dense" (for the lack of a better term), could have possibilities. That is, if the air induction method does not create more drag than it eliminates.

the 'handle' holes great for a mooring bridle too

good practical features for a multipurpose design

i suspect if the crew get forard and peer through both holes with one eye you could easily pick laylines and 90^ gybe angles

the 'handle' holes great for a mooring bridle too

good practical features for a multipurpose design

i suspect if the crew get forard and peer through both holes with one eye you could easily pick laylines and 90^ gybe angles

Yeah right....! :unsure:

Are you going to write the marketing blurb for Hobie then? :P

Has Hobie ever brought out a design that fit into a class outside the Hobie family? Even in Europe?

Perhaps a beercan inserted into the hole becomes an anti dive foil? Would the large Kirin cans be outlawed? They are more streamlined after all. Foster's too big? (Australian for anti dive foils :lol: )

Paul

Has Hobie ever brought out a design that fit into a class outside the Hobie family? Even in Europe?

Perhaps a beercan inserted into the hole becomes an anti dive foil? Would the large Kirin cans be outlawed? They are more streamlined after all. Foster's too big? (Australian for anti dive foils :lol: )

Paul

Hobie Europe makes F18's and F20's

Paul

Well what do I know! Aaaack!

Now if they'd follow through on that Class A Proto of a few years back.....

Paul

Paul

Well what do I know! Aaaack!

Now if they'd follow through on that Class A Proto of a few years back.....

Paul

Yeah...What ever happened to that?

Paul

I thought the Tiger was not originally a Hobie design...didn't they purchase it...now Hobie Europe?