Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SimonN

Australian A Class Nationals

The Australian A Class Nationals begin on Lake Cootharaba in Queensland on 2nd January. About 60 boats are expected but what makes these championships particularly interesting is the talent coming out to play, a mix of the existing A Class sailors, the new A Class sailors from the world of the America's Cup and the world class cat sailors who are looking for AC jobs. Here are some of the runners and riders.

For the last 10 years, almost every major A Class event has been a battle between 2 people, Glenn Ashby and Stevie Brewin. Stevie is the only person who has been able to live with Glenn on a consistant basis, although Glenn holds the upper hand by quiet some way. The other thing that makes the battle interesting is that they are both sailmakers who seem to use different design philosophies in their sails. Of late, many would say that Stevie's sails might be a bit quicker but Glenn continues to make up for that with his skill and experience. Having said that, this will be the first time that we will see the 2 different rigs since the worlds and I expect that both have come on a bit (I know Stevie's has). Both will be sailing on DNA's and it will be interesting to see if either have found a small edge in set up of foils and race preparation.

I believe that the biggest challenge to these 2 will come from other world class cat sailors hoping to show off their talent. Top of this list must be Darren Bundock who has been training hard with the "NSW Posse". At the last hit out, Darren might have even found an edge upwind on Stevie but Stevie was superior downhill where his experience counted. Darren is using the same rig as Stevie. I personally think if anybody is going to break the stranglehold the "Big 2" have, it will be Darren.

Then there is Mitch Booth, who, besides his vast cat experience, is also a past A Clas World Champion, even if it was some time ago. I don't know who he has been training with or any details of his rig, so cannot really comment on his potential. Also in this group is the British Olympian, Will Howden who is better known as a crew. He has been training with Glenn and early reports were of him being off the pace. However, who knows how he is now going some weeks later.

Then you have the battle of the AC helms, represented at the very least by James Spithill and Dean Barker. Of course, this battle should be won by James, who has been sailing A's for some time. The real issue is just how far up the fleet he can finish. I am not sure how much training he has done but for me, it is hard to believe that he will be a contender for the big prize. Dean is another matter. He is on a learning mission and I am sure has little real ambition other than that.

Then, of course, you have the established A Class sailors. Of these, Landy is probably the man to watch. It seems he is always there or there abouts, but has he really upped his game enough to challenge the big 2? He has often been "the best of the rest" but can he bridge the gap? There are also a whole host of sailors who have been trying to bridge the gap in recent years and names to watch out for include Collett, Parker and Brewer. It will be interesting to see how Jack "The Punchman" Benson goes after his impressive 3rd in the worlds, although the suspicion is that he won't have his favoured light winds to help him.

I am sure I have left a whole heap of names out of the mix and for that I am sorry. In some cases it is because I don't think they are in the mix but in others, it is simply becasue I don't know enough so please don't beat me up for missing your favorate runner.

As to who will win, my heart says Stevie (as I train with him) but my brain says that Glenn is favorite. I think these 2 will have just too much experience for everybody else. The dark horse is Darren, but I suspect he will be fighting for 3rd with Landy and maybe a couple of others.

As for myself, I would love to report that I am a real threat, but it isn't true. I am only just reaching the point of getting my head out of the boat and need to spend far too much time concentrating on driving. In addition, I will almost certainly be heading to the racecourse with a boat set up that really isn't proven. I have learnt what doesn't work so I hope I am close to what does. If I am lucky, the training I have done with the NSW Posse will mean I do better than I think, but I am expecting my worst championship result for many a year. I wonder if a target in the top 20 is expecting too much...........

Simon,

Thanks for getting this thread started. It would be fantastic if we could get an idea of what equipment the top 10 during the event are using. Specifically, it would be great to know the following for each of these sailors:

Platform

Daggerboards (straight or curved, canted or non-canted)

Mast

Sail

I really hope the event gets a good mix of conditions but it's kind of a shame that the two favorites are both sailing DNA's. I was kind of hoping that Glenn would have used the same ASG3 he won the WC with (which I think Mitch is sailing) but I would guess that DNA made it worth his (and Steve's) time to be on DNA's.

Our first winter circuit event starts Jan 11 and I look forward to sailing the modified ASG3 (nicknamed Re-Boot)and testing the boat against sailors like Ben Hall, Matt Struble (current NAC), and Randy Smyth (10th at WC). However Randy is going to try a radical new rig (I'll post pics) that (trust me) will be interesting to see.

Good luck!

As for equipment, it wouldn't suprise me to see all the top 10 on the same platform as there are 18 DNA's in the country and most of the top guys have them. If it is light, maybe the likes of Chris Cairns will sneak a good result with his Tool andstraight boards or Jack on his Flyer 1 with straight boards.

I find it hard to see anybody with straight boards right up there. I think Stevie proved that a DNA with curved boards is competitive enough in light winds and once there is some wind, they are seriously quick.

As fo DNA making it worth Glenn's while, I was told he went after them for a boat. Maybe there was a deal because of who he is, but they certainly didn't chase him. It will be interesting to see how Mitch does but everybody I have spoken to thinks Glenn would have been in deep poo ifthere had been 10 knots + at the worlds. Sure, part was his sail but the downwind speed of the DNA's is something to behold.

Sop, my prediction is that the DNA platform will dominate. Therefore, curved boards will dominate and, in particular, DNA curved boards although I expect to see a few will have changed their rudders.

This leaves rigs. This will be far harder to draw conclusions from because it is hard to quantify what is helm and what is rig. I expect that Glenn's training team will have Fiberfoam and Ashby while Stevie and Darren will be Saaberg and Brewin. I expect there might be a few who mix that combo, in particular Fiberfoam and Brewin.

Of course, there will be a few Landy sails. I have mainly seen these on Saaberg's of late and think that is what Landy is sailing with. Howver, Scott at Fiberfoam has just brought out a new mast aimed at exactly the style of mast Saaberg produces, soft fore and aft but stiff sideways.

At this point in time, my "dream" boat (which I cannot afford) would be a DNA with their boards, Thorpe Rudders (a new one being made in Sydney), Brewin sail and I am not sure about mast. At the moment, probably the Saaberg but I want to see the new Fiberfoam and how they compare. I would also want a brain from either Glenn, Stevie or Bundy and the body of a far younger man. Even then, I suspect I would blow it. :D

Of course, I will get back with the real results and fast gear table in due course.

Why is Glen using a DNA and not his own ASG3? If true, pretty much means the ASG3 is crap?

That is really unfair.

First, it is true Glenn has a DNA. The DNA seems to have outclassed everything that has come before it. The ASG3 was before the DNA. It has outclassed it.

And yes, there were a few issues that the ASG3 had which Glenn addressed on his boat for the last worlds (which he won) and others are trying different approaches. However, what one needs to realise is that the DNA follows a very different hull design philosophy, despite them saying that it is a deveopment of the Flyer. It has a lot more volume and in particular, it has a Jey-lo (pretty fat arse!). They seem to have got the best combination of hull shape and curved foil at the moment. On top of that the DNA is probably the highest spec, best built boat other than a Marstrom. IMO, they are built a lot better than any of the Flyers, ASG3, Tools etc because they are pre-preg, nomex carbon. You cannot get as good by wet layup.

Finally, Glenn had already stopped the production and sale of boats before he changed to the DNA. I think he stuck with the ASG3 long enough to find out how to solve the issues and from al that I have heard, he is being supportive to those who have them.

I therfore think your comment is pretty unfair. (did I say that already? :P )

Thanks Simon I didn't realise ( I apologize) that Glen isn't still producing/selling the ASG3's, makes sense now. and by 'crap' I meant 'not going to win the worlds' crap, I'd still give left nut for one.

I'm going to bring the mark 4 up to see how I go, but by the sounds of this form guide i'll be lucky to be on the same lap as the leaders. Look out for one of the only old school brown sails with orange stripes on it, mounted on the boat covered in stickers.

Are any other anarchists heading up besides SimonN?

im going up. and unfortunately from what i have seen my only real goal is to be one of the first none dnas. Glenn is very fast. will howden, stephen brayshaw, are also showing great potential on there dnas. but at this stage our first goal may just be getting to the lake with these flood waters.

As for equipment, it wouldn't suprise me to see all the top 10 on the same platform as there are 18 DNA's in the country and most of the top guys have them. If it is light, maybe the likes of Chris Cairns will sneak a good result with his Tool andstraight boards or Jack on his Flyer 1 with straight boards.

Don't forget Landy ( Scheurer G6 "evo") and Brad (Scheurer G6).

Don't forget Landy ( Scheurer G6 "evo") and Brad (Scheurer G6).

Strange. Why aren't they sailing their DNA's? I didn't realise that Brad even brought his Scheurer back to Oz. I thought both brought DNA's back from Europe.

brads dad vic has the dna, brad seems to prefer the scheurer. i have not spoken to landy but i heard he is of the same opinion. but they both will be very fast

im going up. and unfortunately from what i have seen my only real goal is to be one of the first none dnas. Glenn is very fast. will howden, stephen brayshaw, are also showing great potential on there dnas. but at this stage our first goal may just be getting to the lake with these flood waters.

Out today with Glenn, Darren, Will, Mitch, Scott A, Mark J and some Frenchman from BMWO. Same tomorrow, plus Cairnsie and Stevie B. Wind was anywhere from 5 knots to 20, with most of it over 12 knots.

Darren fastest upwind. Glenn just stupid downhill. How the hell he doesn't crash every 250 metres I don't know! I think that both Darren and myself got scared trying to push that hard. Will swam and broke his mast.

Honest appraisal would be that the Saaberg/Brewin combo has a little something upwind. Glenn is simply in a different class from everybody else who was out today in terms of downhill. It wasn't a speed thing. It was simply skill. It will be interesting to see how Stevie goes tomorrow.

Myself, I had the best day sailing an A I have had so far. A Flyer 1 with DNA curved boards, a good rig and decent rudders will more than match the DNA's upwind. Downwind, there is no doubt that I am quicker than a straight board boat. At times, I thought I was close to the DNA's. However, my biggest issue is I am not good enough. Another year or two in the class and maybe, if the boat (or me!) doesn't fall apart first!

yes we have had no answer for glenn downwind however i have had no problems racing the others around the course. i have straight boards the only person that has really blown me away was glenn, but in saying that i have not sailed against the others you speak of this season.

Forecast is for 5-15 knots ESE and SE on Monday and Tuesday so competitors won't face too testing conditions in the early races.

Is anyone able to confirm whether Lake Cootharaba is currently in flood after all the recent rain which hit the Sunshine Coast?

A quick update now that Team Ashby is heading north from its brief stop to sail with the NSW posse.

The conditions have been such that it is hard to say for sure who has what edge. I still believe that the Saaberg/Brewin rig is a bit quicker upwind, although Bundy has been variable as he tried more and more things. For instance, batten choice has been big on the agenda and we have had enough variation in conditions for a lot of learning to be going on. Stevie hasn't really been out much and only really in fairly light stuff where he seemed really good upwind. However, when Bundy has had the right gear up, he seems to have been the quickest upwind.

Glenn continues to give a masterclass downhill, but I wonder if he is giving away more than he is learning! I do not think that anybody has a boatspeed advantage downwind, other than one gained from skill.

Does any of this change my view of who will be the key players? Not at all! I think Bundy is learning heaps every day but whether that really is enough to challenge the "Big 2", I am not sure.

In other news, I have heard is that all is OK up at the Lake and that the rumours of the chance of a cancelled event seem to have evaporated. I think the next time we will see frontrunners sailing against each other will be on New Years Eve. Then we should see how Landy, who I am now told is definately sailing his DNA, and Brad, who is sailing his Scheurer, stack up against Team Ashby.

Reports from the lake are that the water is clean despite huge rainfalls in the last week and the dozen cats already there are awaiting the arrival of interstate competitors. The NT contingent were delayed by inland floods but apparently made Toowoomba today and wll get lakeside later tomorrow. Lake Cootharaba is well above the high tide mark with not much of the beachfront near the clubhouse left but levels should go down now the rain has eased. Forecast is for more showers turning to rain next week so a grey/wetter than usual series is on the cards.

A quick update now that Team Ashby is heading north from its brief stop to sail with the NSW posse.

The conditions have been such that it is hard to say for sure who has what edge. I still believe that the Saaberg/Brewin rig is a bit quicker upwind, although Bundy has been variable as he tried more and more things. For instance, batten choice has been big on the agenda and we have had enough variation in conditions for a lot of learning to be going on. Stevie hasn't really been out much and only really in fairly light stuff where he seemed really good upwind. However, when Bundy has had the right gear up, he seems to have been the quickest upwind.

Glenn continues to give a masterclass downhill, but I wonder if he is giving away more than he is learning! I do not think that anybody has a boatspeed advantage downwind, other than one gained from skill.

Does any of this change my view of who will be the key players? Not at all! I think Bundy is learning heaps every day but whether that really is enough to challenge the "Big 2", I am not sure.

In other news, I have heard is that all is OK up at the Lake and that the rumours of the chance of a cancelled event seem to have evaporated. I think the next time we will see frontrunners sailing against each other will be on New Years Eve. Then we should see how Landy, who I am now told is definately sailing his DNA, and Brad, who is sailing his Scheurer, stack up against Team Ashby.

Simon,

Thanks again for the updates. When you refer to Glenn's downwind speed, is this just in hull flying conditions or is he just as dominant on the DNA when the conditions are light and everyone has both hulls in the water? Are some or all of you guys trapezing downwind (since DNA's website suggests it's a fast technique)?

The US winter circuit starts on January 10. This is not our national championship and is a more casual event. We do allow competitors to make sail changes and we use these events for fun and an opportunity for sailors to try things. I'll have the "ASG4" ready to sail and Ben Hall will be bringing the latest iteration of the Barracuda. Current North American Champion Matt Struble will be competing on an EVO HT and he will be a great benchmark. We have two outstanding sailors in the US that could be podium finishers at a WC. Lars Guck pushed Glenn hard for the title in 2007 and some felt Lars had a speed edge on Glenn during that event. Lars battled with Matt Struble this past summer for the North American title. Both sailors have their sights on 2012 WC and we hope we can get them to the 2011 WC. In addition, we will have several America's Cup sailors racing with us. Terry Hutchison will be sailing an A3 at the first circuit event and rumor has it that Morgan Larson will also be showing up.

There's no problem with sailing at the lake at the moment. The water level is up about a metre and a half and rigging area is reduced. We are hoping the reduced rain today and forecast fine weather for two days improves that. I've spoken to the PRO this evening and all looks good. Also spoke to someone who sailing in 5-15 knots there today and there was little debris.

All looks set for a monumental battle!

Posted · Hidden by GRUMPY, December 29, 2010 - Stupid me..
Hidden by GRUMPY, December 29, 2010 - Stupid me..

No website then....How many Darwin lads in?

Thanks cunts. Not like it's a big ask....

No website then....How many Darwin lads in?

Thanks cunts. Not like it's a big ask....

try www.a-cat.org.au and go to the regatta/results section

maybe lighten up with the foul words:angry:

Looks like a great fleet for the titles. Looking forward to chasing the fleet next week.

With all of the AC talent that looks to be lining up for the regatta has anyone been crazy enough to turn up with a wing? I know it would be insane to try and launch one off the beech at Cootharaba, but over the years I have seen many things on the lake that don't necessarily have to be good ideas!

Apology accepted Grumpy. Results tables will be posted on the AUS A Class website as mentioned above and on the local club running the event website at http://www.lcsc.org.au/mam/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=175&op=page&SubMenu=

The volunters at the club and from the association will be doing their best to get timely info out, interviews, photos, opinion etc. I'm an organisor from the club and the association so blame me if it doesn't work. And yes it is a big ask with all the work that has to be done under difficult circumstances - and for most of us still try and sail as well.

I'm sure this thread will keep running during the event with lots of feedback and we have sail-world.com doing on site reporting - fingers crossed!

Out today with Glenn, Darren, Will, Mitch, Scott A, Mark J and some Frenchman from BMWO. Same tomorrow, plus Cairnsie and Stevie B. Wind was anywhere from 5 knots to 20, with most of it over 12 knots.

Darren fastest upwind. Glenn just stupid downhill. How the hell he doesn't crash every 250 metres I don't know! I think that both Darren and myself got scared trying to push that hard. Will swam and broke his mast.

Honest appraisal would be that the Saaberg/Brewin combo has a little something upwind. Glenn is simply in a different class from everybody else who was out today in terms of downhill. It wasn't a speed thing. It was simply skill. It will be interesting to see how Stevie goes tomorrow.

Myself, I had the best day sailing an A I have had so far. A Flyer 1 with DNA curved boards, a good rig and decent rudders will more than match the DNA's upwind. Downwind, there is no doubt that I am quicker than a straight board boat. At times, I thought I was close to the DNA's. However, my biggest issue is I am not good enough. Another year or two in the class and maybe, if the boat (or me!) doesn't fall apart first!

So I'm curious where exactly did this A-cat love fest (NSW posse) take place?

Simon,

Were any of you guys in your training sessions using a Speed Puck or other GPS instruments? It would be great to get an idea of the boatspeeds you think the fastest guys had upwind and downwind in different conditions. Training by myself recently I've been using a GPS watching boatspeed and trying to keep track of jibing and tacking angles. When you don't have another boat, the knotmeter can be a good coach to help you push the boat and try different settings. I've heard the DNA's are hitting close to 17 knots downwind in powered conditions. That's a great benchmark but it would also be nice to know what the approximate jibing angle is at that boatspeed.

Thanks again!

Posted · Hidden by GRUMPY, December 30, 2010 - blah
Hidden by GRUMPY, December 30, 2010 - blah

Tricky deleting a post that makes you look like a miserable dick-head when someone has already quoted it!

Nothing tricky about it. I stood and took my slap.

So many questions! I will do my best to answer them all.

So I'm curious where exactly did this A-cat love fest (NSW posse) take place?
We were at Gosford. Genn turned up with 5 boats (4 on trailer, 1 on roof) on his way North for 3 days sailing. We had betwen 9 and 12 boats out each session.

I should just add that the NSW crew/posse or whatever you care to call it is simply all the known sailors in the area liasing so as to decide where to sail each week in an attempt to get the most people together. If there is racing, great, if not, we make our own short races. It really is open to anybody. We usually sail either Gosford or Kurnell, with other locations also on the agenda - Pittwater, Lake Macquarie to name 2 - and we try to travel as a pack so that interclubs and inter state events are supported. This group are really great. They welcome newbies with open arms and give lots of help. I have been both lucky and privilaged to be involved.

back to the sailing....

When you refer to Glenn's downwind speed, is this just in hull flying conditions or is he just as dominant on the DNA when the conditions are light and everyone has both hulls in the water? Are some or all of you guys trapezing downwind (since DNA's website suggests it's a fast technique)?

Were any of you guys in your training sessions using a Speed Puck or other GPS instruments? It would be great to get an idea of the boatspeeds you think the fastest guys had upwind and downwind in different conditions. Training by myself recently I've been using a GPS watching boatspeed and trying to keep track of jibing and tacking angles. When you don't have another boat, the knotmeter can be a good coach to help you push the boat and try different settings. I've heard the DNA's are hitting close to 17 knots downwind in powered conditions. That's a great benchmark but it would also be nice to know what the approximate jibing angle is at that boatspeed.

I have grouped this together as it really is all about the same thing.

The first thing to do is to seperate out Glenn's sailing from the boat. Luckily, with a fair number of DNA's, that is possible. We tried to make each downwind a race in itself, so we all hung around the top mark and headed off downwind as a bunch. There was one boat that got to the bottom consistantly ahead or up there that wasn't a DNA and that was Scott Anderson. However, his performance was more about local knowledge than speed. He would often disapear off in a completely different direction and come out in front.

However, the rest of us tended to stick together with tight gybing and trying to work each gust, and it was very variablke and puffy. You could easil sail an extra 50 metres and lose the gust. This is where Glenn was in his element and I suspect he would have been as good in almost any boat. Because of the way he made better use of every puff, it is hard to tell if the DNA has a speed problem downwind in light air. However, judging by all the other boats, I would say not but I think one would need more consistant conditions and some real lining up to be sure.

However, once hull up, the DNA's are quicker than straight boarded boats. I have no doubts about that. However, while it is quicker, the hullshape and boards don't change physics. You can still pitchpole the boat if you get it wrong. So, quicker than Flyers and Tools with straight boards but what about Flyers and Tools with curved boards. Well, I feel that my Flyer 1, with DNA boards in, is truly competitive downwind on flat water. Stevie Brewin asked me, on the basis of how my boat is going, whether I therefore think that the DNA is more about foils than hullshape. My view is that the DNA is a complete package - the hullshape, the curved boards and the platform stiffness. I would have liked to change boats with somebody to see just how good the DNA is, but didn't ask because I didn't want to be demoralised! here was a Tool with unknown curved boards in and that didn't seem to be able to keep up downwind.

I should add that I did a lot of experimenting with my boards. I have a large amount of adjustment - I can move the top of the board 35mm and as my hull depth isn't as great as the DNA, that gives me close to double the adjustment of the DNA. And I think the boat likes lots of angle of attack on the boards, more than the DNA's can carry. Darren Bundock also sails with max AoA and the only issue is upwind at speed you have to keep your weight forward or esle the bow simply climbs to an alarming angle. My last run yesterday was done with the foils set to the minimum AoA because it was fairly light and I was slow, reminding me of the issues I had downwind when I first got my boat (with straight boards).

We were not sailing with any GPS so it is hard to give any figures. In addition, it was so puffy and variable I am not sure how much it would have told us. Angles were determined as much by pressure and th need to either stay in it or get to it than anything else. And this seems to me to be the big thing of trapezing downwind. I got the impression that Glenn was using it as a tactical weapon, to get to where he wanted to be quicker in terms of when he saw gusts. I got the feeling that when there was no tactical reason why you needed to get to one particular spot, trapezing was of marginal benefit in terms of VMG.

Upwind is really interesting. I believe you can point as high as anybody with the DNA boards, but, by way of exampl, you cannot siply sart off in "high mode". Coming off the line next to Scott Anderson, who points as high if not higher than anybody, I was unable to live there and he sailed past. However, I then ducked his transom, got a bit of clean air, gained speed and flow over the boards and then climbed. Doing that I was able to come out from under him and end up dead in front of him. So you need a bit of runway, or at least I do. I believe that this is the same for the guys on the DNA's, although I would guess the top guys would get away with less runway than I need, so this will be a real issue for me at the nationals. If I can work a small gap, fine, but otherwise..........

However, I do think that the DNA's have an advantage upwind over straight c/b boats. Maybe I am kidding myslef that I can live with them, but if so some people are being too kind and polite! The real "moment" is upwind in about 18 knots when there is a groove that feels almost magical. Darren gets the same feeling. It is almost like the boat jumps in speed by 2 knots. I think it is the boards finding a sweet spot. I am unsure if others experience the same thing and I wish I had the skill, time and experience to find that spot more often and for longer.

So, to sum up, I am convinced that the DNA's are a significant step up from the Flyer/Tool designs, both up and down wind. If I had to buy a new boat today, it's a no brainer! However, only time will tell exactly what factors make the biggest difference. I personally am convinced they have got the radius of the curved boards more right than others. I am convinced the platform is stiffer than anything else even though I personally haven't seen some of the other platfroms and rely ion comments from Glenn and Stevie in this regard. Those 2 factors alone would make a huge difference, so it is hard for me to comment on hullshape. To be able to do that I would need to build a new Flyer, to the same standard as the DNA.

Of course, people might want to take all of this with a pinch of salt. I am new to the class and really know sweet FA compared with most. These are just my observations. Some of this could simply be that the top sailors are on DNA's. And just to make one thing clear. Some might feel after the nationals that my result supports the idea that I am delusional about the performance of my boat. Let me asure you I can judge speed in a straight line and therefore I know that wherever I finish next week will proably be more of a reflection of my inability and lack of experience than a reflection fo the boat's performance. And if do better than I think, it will be clear evidence the boat works! Whatever the result, I am having great time in A's and couldn't have wished to find a better group of people to go sailing against.

Simon,

Thanks for all those very informative explanations.

One more question:

Are you really shure that Landy will sail a DNA and not a modified Scheurer G6?

Perhaps that boat is still in Europe.

flojo

Simon,

Thanks for all those very informative explanations.

One more question:

Are you really shure that Landy will sail a DNA and not a modified Scheurer G6?

Perhaps that boat is still in Europe.

flojo

Yes, I am as sure as I can be. PM sent with details.

It's a bit early to be certain, but here's the wind forecast for the first few days at race start time.

Sunday Invitation race - ESE 11k

Monday 2 heats - ESE 10k

Tuesday 2 heats - SSE 16k

Wednesday 2 heats SSE 15k

It looks ideal to be a great test of the new equipment, sailing techniques and high quality fleet. Will the new boats have the reliability to run a full series? Can't wait!

The general SE wind direction will be a great test of ability to read patterns. It is much more subtle than the usually easy to read favoured sides in a NE wind at the lake.

Three more sleeps now.

It's a bit early to be certain, but here's the wind forecast for the first few days at race start time.

Sunday Invitation race - ESE 11k

Monday 2 heats - ESE 10k

Tuesday 2 heats - SSE 16k

Wednesday 2 heats SSE 15k

It looks ideal to be a great test of the new equipment, sailing techniques and high quality fleet. Will the new boats have the reliability to run a full series? Can't wait!

The general SE wind direction will be a great test of ability to read patterns. It is much more subtle than the usually easy to read favoured sides in a NE wind at the lake.

Three more sleeps now.

Thanks for the above. It's getting exciting! Love the forecast.

That forecast sounds pretty good, i'm hoping to get out this afternoon and see what this place is like to sail, but it looks awsome from the beach though (well from the road since the beach is underwater!)

I have been very interested in the comments about who is using what platform / mast / sail / foils etc.......... It is a pity that most of the top Australian A Class guys aren't using different platforms (instead sticking to the DNA platform). However I suppose the DNA is the best all round A Class out there at the moment and great for those people who can afford it! What is even better to see though is the likes of Simon N and other A Class guys who haven't got the big dollars to spend using their initiative to make their boats more competitive. I see on international A Class websites guys who have bought the AS 3 have been doing some pretty major alterations to their platform/s and succeeding. Good on you guys I applaud you all!

I know it is wishful thinking but I hope some of the not so big-name A Class guys will do well in the Austrailan Nationals on their newly altered platform and kick some butt!!!!

I will be watching with interest :-)

Happy New Year!

Simon will you or anyone else competing have capacity to do reports here on the nats?

Please call to discuss on 0430 522 061

I am a last minute ring in to help out with media coverage. My club Humpybong is providing a safety boat and has a good camera onboard for photos. Lake Cootharaba club has a video camera but will probably use it to for start and finish dispute resolution. I have a JVC Everio HDD and will try get race coverage and interviews with a link to Youtube or the Aussie A class site.

Daily results for the Orange Power sponsored Aussie A Class Nationals will be available from:

http://www.lcsc.org.au/mam/

and the Aussie A Class Association.

http://www.a-cat.org.au/index.html

If it hasn't been mentioned before there are 10 Americas cup sailors taking part including James Spithill plus the likes of Darren Bundock, Mitch Booth and Andrew landenberger. There's a host of top local A sailors including Brad Collett and four times Aussie champion Brian Hooper so competition is as expected going to be fierce.

As of close of registration today there are 73 competitors for the Aussie A nationals

I walked up and found On the reduced beach area outside the clubhouse setting up for todays invitation race were in order, Mitch Booth, Glenn Ashby, Darren Bundock, and the Team New Zealand's Dean Barker.

There's no sign of James Spithill - apparently he got a better (Amnerica's Cup) related offer and went to New Zealand.

Darren Bundock who is competing in his first A regatta is rated highly after spending the last five weeks training in Sydney. One sailors comment was "In the first week he outpaced Bundy, but by week two Darren was streets ahead.

The wind freshened for the invitation race but my camera then died so no close up on the water action.

Images of the lineup onshore at rain swollen lake Cootharaba are at :

http://s136.photobucket.com/albums/q183/hihosilver1953/Australian%20A%20Class%20Nationals%202010/

apologies for the image quality

Thanks for the photos Scribe ! Hope you can keep them coming

Thank you scribe.

Haven't see a DNA in person the hulls look a lot more bouyant than the other A Class boats

It will be very interesting how the different boats & foils will go on a fresh water lake.

Have the NT boys arrived or are the floods still holding them up?

Edit: Just saw Jack in one of scribe's photos, thanks.

the NT sailors sign on list from yesterday is batenburg, jack benson, john gibson,michelle jones,ethan neaves, so there must be three more to arrive hopefully before this afternoons start

the NT sailors sign on list from yesterday is batenburg, jack benson, john gibson,michelle jones,ethan neaves, so there must be three more to arrive hopefully before this afternoons start

Thanks scribe. It will be interesting to see if Chris Batenburg familiarises with the DNA quickly enough. He is quicker than his previous results indicate. Jack is also picking up a DNA in Europe when he gets there after the nats.

My last breakdown of competitors was 16 from NSW,24 Qld, 21 Victoria, 8-NT, none from South Aus, 1-WA , 3- from NZ- murray philpott, dean barker,and stu bettany, 1 each from the UK- will howden and FRA- [phillippe Presti. One on the registration list is Ritchie Howells listed as AUS 844 but not from where he's from

I introduced myself to bundy, ashby, brewin and booth amongst a heap of others so I am hoping to get some after action reports but I can't get up there every day so I am trying to tee up some after action reports.

Incidental stuff

Darren Bundock is competing but partner Caroline Brouwer was sitting on the shoreline when she wasn't helping competitors set up their A's - She has a good excuse with a prominent baby bump which Bundy said is due in March. She said Darren is going to be doing his bit minding the bub while she will be getting in some racing.

Chris Batenberg drove from Darwin to Melbourne to collect his boat and then drove up to the Lake- You guys don't think twice about going places for a sail.

SimonN says he will contribute here when he can to give the insiders viewpoint I lack.

great photos_______Ritchie Howells is a Victorian sails at St Leonards

What a glorious start to the regatta. 4 attempts to get the start away clear. It's amazing how all of the boats were behind the line once the black flag came up at 4min!

Photos from the Invitation race can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/HumpybongYachtClub/Day1InvitationRace?feat=directlink.

I am running the HYC "Media" boat so if you want high res of any of these photos or what me to get a couple of your boat durring the racing, just drop me a line here...

Chris Batenberg drove from Darwin to Melbourne to collect his boat and then drove up to the Lake- You guys don't think twice about going places for a sail.

He wouldn't think twice about doing it if necessary, but unless the plans changed, Storm Johnson was towing the boat up from Melbourne for Chris.

first dozen places race 1

1 A1 G Ashby 1.0

2 4 S Brewin 2.0

3 888 D Bundock 3.0

4 308 A Landenberger 4.0

5 10 B Collett 5.0

6 N8 D Barker 6.0

7 G8 W Howden 7.0

8 902 S Anderson 8.0

9 900 W Mercer 9.0

10 865 S Scott 10.0

11 889 G Parker 11.0

12 898 C Cairns 12.0

It went cactus in race 2 for Ashby when he went overboard but stayed with the A. Despite a broken tiller bar he got it up quickly and took off after the leaders

1 308 A Landenberger 1.0

2 888 D Bundock 2.0

3 10 B Collett 3.0

4 N8 D Barker 4.0

5 902 S Anderson 5.0

6 G8 W Howden 6.0

7 889 G Parker 7.0

8 A1 G Ashby 8.0

9 898 C Cairns 9.0

10 20 C Batenburg 10.0

11 900 W Mercer 11.0

12 957 D Loutit 12.0

A few more from today. Great day on the water, missed the first race but grapped some shots in the second from the top mark, 3 different leaders each lap. Lost track after the first 5 had been around but managed to see one go over after the clearance mark. Someone alse can fill you in on the heart break.

post-25551-018216500 1294048017_thumb.jpg

post-25551-023309600 1294048045_thumb.jpg

post-25551-054135500 1294048076_thumb.jpg

Ashby lost it at the top mark. I have photos I'll post in the morning. Spectacular to watch as the gybe goes pear shaped very quickly.

Brewin apparently lodged a protest after being caught OCS under a black flag start when the second race again started with a general recall.

More photos to post in the morning. We missed the first start due to engine problems from the debris in the lake but a great days spectating none the less.

Great photos guys ____ I have been told the DNA's are a bit fragile in the rudder and centreboards ___ fact or tall poppy stuff

More photos now up at http://picasaweb.google.com/HumpybongYachtClub/. Just go to the album for each day's racing.

Supposed to have a camera crew from Sail-World coming out on the RIB with us today. Hear they are also going to try and mount a camera on Glenn's head!

I'll edit down the footage we took from a boom mounted cam yesterday and upload when I can. Going to try for a mast top mounting today...

More photos now up at http://picasaweb.goo...ybongYachtClub/. Just go to the album for each day's racing.

Supposed to have a camera crew from Sail-World coming out on the RIB with us today. Hear they are also going to try and mount a camera on Glenn's head!

I'll edit down the footage we took from a boom mounted cam yesterday and upload when I can. Going to try for a mast top mounting today...

Keep up the good work. It's gettin' me primed for Islamorada next week.

If you can capszie, break something and still come home in 8th then one of two things is happening.

1. Ashby is going to win by a long way

or 2. there are only 9 competitive boats (includng Brewin) and the rest of the fleet are also rans.

I don't understand two things on Glenn's results in the first day:

1) in the pic above it looks like he is driving from the leeward side, all the way down sitting at the leeward hull. Is this right? I haven't seen this done before.

2) How did he sail four more legs without a tiller extension? Did he tie a rope on the cross bar or drive without trapezing?

thanks.

Full set of photos here it looks like Glenn got stuck on the wrong side in a gybe. I used to do it regularly (a couple of times a season) but i though Glenn would be above it.

it looks like Glenn got stuck on the wrong side in a gybe. I used to do it regularly (a couple of times a season) but i though Glenn would be above it.

Nice to know he is mortal every once in awhile!

it looks like Glenn got stuck on the wrong side in a gybe. I used to do it regularly (a couple of times a season) but i though Glenn would be above it.

Nice to know he is mortal every once in awhile!

It will be interesting to hear any eyewitnes reports.

Couple of things,

Looks like he was trapezing downwind and either gybed to quickly and/or got hooked on the wrong side.

Broken extension probably really only disadvantaged him signficantly upwind (although he still seems to be going quick and high just hiking).

Shows the character of the guy, making the best of a bad situation, not spitting the dummy and heading for the shore.

Most of us would be over the moon with a top 10 Oz nats finish in a good boat, let alone with a busted one.

The photos of them going wild whilst on trapeze are very interesting.

Doesn't look like a huge amount of wind.

beat me to it..

Brewin is back in the pack after being black flagged and OB

overall standings to date

1 A1 G Ashby 11.0 1.0 1.0 8.0 1.0

2 1.0S 308 A Landenberger 14.0 4.0 5.0 1.0 4.0

3 888 D Bundock 14.0 5.0 4.0 2.0 3.0

4 N8 D Barker 16.0 3.0 3.0 4.0 6.0

5 10 B Collett 23.0 6.0 9.0 3.0 5.0

16 4 S Brewin 78.0 2.0 2.0 72.0B 2.0

Dean had a great day today and held his own against a very strong and experienced a class fleet.

More photos up on http://picasaweb.google.com/HumpybongYachtClub/

Glenn's crash appeared to be from the boat turning into the gybe too quick and then loosing his footing. We were sitting about 25m upwind on the rib as he went over. Unfortunately my camera missed the moment Shen he went superman and had his hands on the deck, legs in the air out to windward, and the harness making him look like he could fly. He did a quick repair of the tiller but couldn't reach to trapeze for the rest of the race. The results don't show times but Glenn is a long way ahead of the rest and consistently wins by big margins.

I should add that if you look at the mark roundings Dean was actually in the lead for most of the third race today.

Appologies for the sparodic updates but the only chance I get to send is when I can get a basic 2G signal on my bloody iPhone! And from the Boreen Point campsite that's only when you stand on one leg behind the shower block with the moon and clouds in the right alignment.

Posted · Hidden by Te Kooti, January 4, 2011 - No reason given
Hidden by Te Kooti, January 4, 2011 - No reason given

Deano is doing alright then?

report to local media on Day 2 Australian A Class Championships.

Once again Lake Cootharaba turned on ideal sailing conditions, with a 12 to 15 knot south east breeze. The breeze was well established even at todays 11:00 am start time.

The day belonged to Glenn Ashby who won both races.Steve Brewin and Dean Barker also had a very consistent , finishing 2nd ,and 3rd respectively in each race. Andrew Landenberger had a 5th and a 4th, whilst Darren Bundock had a 4th and a 5th. These five competitors seemed to have established a mortgage on the top five positions.

The first race was underway after one general recall. Dean Barker showed excellent speed upwind, and rounded the top mark with handy lead from Ashby and Brewin. Barker who seems to have quickly mastered the skills of driving these boats upwind, could not withstand the downwind speed of Steve Brewin, who rounded the leeward in first place. Brewins lead however was shotlived. He found that he was soonon the wrong side of a shift, which well exploited by Ashby and Barker, who both slipped back into 1st and 2nd positions respectively . Ashby was never headed thereafter, but later in the race, Brewin passed Barker and bagged second place, with Barker finishing 3rd.

Ashby had the second race of the day claimed soon after the start. With a brilliantly timed pin end start, he quickly established a good lead and was never headed. Brewin finished 2nd, Barker 3rd, Landenberger 4th ,and Bundock 5th.

After 4 races, Ashby is considered that fastest overall around the race track. Brewin is the clear downwind specialist, and on todays performance Dean Barker was judged to have the best upwind speed. At this stage Ashby has the overall lead. There are 5 more races planned over the next four days. Will Team New Zealand's skipper Dean Barker find a bit more speed downwind, and start beating Ashby and Brewin?

Report by Bob Griffits.

Any idea on the rig configuration for Ashby, Brewer, Landy, et al? Are they using the updated masts that are stiffer sideways and more flexible edgewise or Fibrefoam Mediums??

report to local media on Day 2 Australian A Class Championships.

Once again Lake Cootharaba turned on ideal sailing conditions, with a 12 to 15 knot south east breeze. The breeze was well established even at todays 11:00 am start time.

The day belonged to Glenn Ashby who won both races.Steve Brewin and Dean Barker also had a very consistent , finishing 2nd ,and 3rd respectively in each race. Andrew Landenberger had a 5th and a 4th, whilst Darren Bundock had a 4th and a 5th. These five competitors seemed to have established a mortgage on the top five positions.

The first race was underway after one general recall. Dean Barker showed excellent speed upwind, and rounded the top mark with handy lead from Ashby and Brewin. Barker who seems to have quickly mastered the skills of driving these boats upwind, could not withstand the downwind speed of Steve Brewin, who rounded the leeward in first place. Brewins lead however was shotlived. He found that he was soonon the wrong side of a shift, which well exploited by Ashby and Barker, who both slipped back into 1st and 2nd positions respectively . Ashby was never headed thereafter, but later in the race, Brewin passed Barker and bagged second place, with Barker finishing 3rd.

Ashby had the second race of the day claimed soon after the start. With a brilliantly timed pin end start, he quickly established a good lead and was never headed. Brewin finished 2nd, Barker 3rd, Landenberger 4th ,and Bundock 5th.

After 4 races, Ashby is considered that fastest overall around the race track. Brewin is the clear downwind specialist, and on todays performance Dean Barker was judged to have the best upwind speed. At this stage Ashby has the overall lead. There are 5 more races planned over the next four days. Will Team New Zealand's skipper Dean Barker find a bit more speed downwind, and start beating Ashby and Brewin?

Report by Bob Griffits.

Simon,

Seems like Dean is taking to multihulls like a duck to water- or a Jimmy Spithill to multihulls. I'm curious about Deans attitude about multis. Is he having lead withdrawals? or is he saying- gee I finally found multihulls, what took so long? When I talked to JS earlier this year- he was "hooked", wondering if the same thing going on?

cheers

bob

Great pics, thanks janj70.

Can I put in a request? - can you take a few shots of the DNA deck gear layout, compared to the ASGs and others? Just interested to see how they set them up. (Not that it would make much difference to my old Mk4! - but we have fun whatever!)

The Ashby freight train is on track and steaming ahead!

Series Results [Class ET] up to Race 6 (Drops = 1) Place Ties Sail No Skipper

1 A1 G Ashby 5.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 [8.0] 1.0

2 4 S Brewin 14.0 6.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 [72.0B] 2.0

3 308 A Landenberger 16.0 2.0 [16.0] 4.0 5.0 1.0 4.0

4 888 D Bundock 17.0 5.0 3.0 [5.0] 4.0 2.0 3.0

5 N8 D Barker 18.0 4.0 4.0 3.0 3.0 4.0 [6.0]

6 902 S Anderson 29.0 3.0 6.0 7.0 [10.0] 5.0 8.0

7 G8 W Howden 32.0 8.0 5.0 [9.0] 6.0 6.0 7.0

8 10 B Collett 33.0 10.0 [20.0] 6.0 9.0 3.0 5.0

9 889 G Parker 46.0 [25.0] 9.0 12.0 7.0 7.0 11.0

10 900 W Mercer 55.0 [23.0] 12.0 11.0 12.0 11.0 9.0

11 865 S Scott 60.0 9.0 10.0 [22.0] 16.0 15.0 10.0

12 898 C Cairns 61.0 [15.0] 13.0 14.0 13.0 9.0 12.0

13 25 S Brayshaw 66.0 7.0 17.0 8.0 8.0 26.0 [72.0F]

14 958 S McKeon 67.0 13.0 7.0 15.0 17.0 [32.0] 15.0

15 20 C Batenburg 68.0 17.0 [19.0] 13.0 11.0 10.0 17.0

race 5

1 A1 G Ashby 1.0

2 4 S Brewin 2.0

3 888 D Bundock 3.0

4 N8 D Barker 4.0

5 G8 W Howden 5.0

6 902 S Anderson 6.0

7 958 S McKeon 7.0

8 924 B Deed 8.0

9 889 G Parker 9.0

10 865 S Scott 10.0

11 949 D Brewer 11.0

12 900 W Mercer 12.0

13 898 C Cairns 13.0

14 907 D McKenzie 14.0

15 844 R Howells 15.0

16 308 A Landenberger 16.0

race 6th -some surprises in the order

1 A1 G Ashby 1.0

2 308 A Landenberger 2.0

3 902 S Anderson 3.0

4 N8 D Barker 4.0

5 888 D Bundock 5.0

6 4 S Brewin 6.0

7 25 S Brayshaw 7.0

8 G8 W Howden 8.0

9 865 S Scott 9.0

10 10 B Collett 10.0

11 844 R Howells 11.0

12 936 D Parker 12.0

13 958 S McKeon 13.0

14 22 M Johnston 14.0

15 898 C Cairns 15.0

More photos from yesterday now going up on Picasa at http://picasaweb.google.com/HumpybongYachtClub/

Not as many good ones this time as I had to steer the media boat while shooting.

Dean Barker seems to outpace most of the guys upwind by virtue of his size. Watching him rocket past a handfull yesterday was great. Once they get on the downhill though Ashby, Brewin and others can hold out the trapeze all the way to the gate and the deeper angles they can then achieve knocks out any advantage Dean gets upwind.

It was interesting to watch the fleet moving back and forth on the line in the start sequence. There is a trimaran anchored off the top mark that can be seen from the start line. As the tri swung to the left the fleet moved to the pin end of the line, as the tri swung to the right the fleet moved to the committee boat end. A great indication for those who were watching it of where the first shift was going to come from. I think only some of the fleet were watching...the rest were following.

It was interesting to watch the fleet moving back and forth on the line in the start sequence. There is a trimaran anchored off the top mark that can be seen from the start line. As the tri swung to the left the fleet moved to the pin end of the line, as the tri swung to the right the fleet moved to the committee boat end. A great indication for those who were watching it of where the first shift was going to come from. I think only some of the fleet were watching...the rest were following.

When you say swung to the left or right do you mean the stern of the tri swung?

If the stern was to swing to the right for example it would mean a left hand shift coming down the course. I would not want to be at the committee boat end sailing into a header off the line. I would prefer to be at the pin so everyone on my hip would fall down into my lee and I could cross.

If the stern swung to the left indicating a right hand shift on the way starting at the pin would just set me up to be on the wrong side of a shift that would see my competitors up on the boat end lifted and me losing distance to them. If the shift arrived as we started or soon after you would already be behind every boat above you on the line.

Maybe we have different ideas about what you mean by the tri swinging left or right?

Racing abandoned today as the heavens have opened and its bucketing down. Here in Brisvegas we've got local flooding and the same rain system is running right up the coast.

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR663.loop.shtml#skip

Racing set for a 10 am start Queensland time tomorrow. (11am EADT).

No word on whether it will be two races or three to wrap the nationals up.

Three races set down for today with the first to start in an hour from now. Ashby will need probably one high scoring race to claim the overall win. Forecast is for more rain but with 15 to 20 knot South Easterlies. There is wind offshore but it hasn't made it to the lake as yet. The hope is it will soon so that the last races are absolute fliers.

Glenn Ashby has been confirmed as winner of the Orange Power Aussie A Class Nationals after winning todays one and only heat race which managed to be conducted

Race start was in 12 to 15 knots but sailors had hugely variable winds ranging from 6 to 20 knots around the course. Ashby was first across the line to take the nationals with an unasailable margin

The final two scheduled races were abandoned because of rain squalls and 60 degree wind shifts which made setting a course impossible.

Race organisors started competitors a number of times but subsequently abandoned the attempt.

A lengthy delay was held but organisors were finally forced to abandon the last heats because of wild conditions as two storm cells passed through.

Winds peaked at 31 knots after the abandonment decision.

Final placings to be known in a short while.

Thanks scribe and congratulations to Gashby - again!

1 A1 G Ashby 6.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 1.0 [8.0] 1.0

2 4 S Brewin 16.0 2.0 6.0 2.0 2.0 2.0 [74.0B] 2.0

3 888 D Bundock 20.0 3.0 5.0 3.0 [5.0] 4.0 2.0 3.0

4 308 A Landenberger 21.0 5.0 2.0 [16.0] 4.0 5.0 1.0 4.0

5 N8 D Barker 22.0 4.0 4.0 4.0 3.0 3.0 4.0 [6.0]

6 3.0S 902 S Anderson 39.0 10.0 3.0 6.0 7.0 [10.0] 5.0 8.0

7 G8 W Howden 39.0 7.0 8.0 5.0 [9.0] 6.0 6.0 7.0

8 10 B Collett 41.0 8.0 10.0 [20.0] 6.0 9.0 3.0 5.0

9 889 G Parker 52.0 6.0 [25.0] 9.0 12.0 7.0 7.0 11.0

10 900 W Mercer 64.0 9.0 [23.0] 12.0 11.0 12.0 11.0 9.0

11 898 C Cairns 76.0 [74.0C] 15.0 13.0 14.0 13.0 9.0 12.0

12 9.0S 865 S Scott 80.0 20.0 9.0 10.0 [22.0] 16.0 15.0 10.0

13 20 C Batenburg 80.0 12.0 17.0 [19.0] 13.0 11.0 10.0 17.0

14 936 D Parker 98.0 11.0 12.0 [30.0] 21.0 23.0 13.0 18.0

15 958 S McKeon 99.0 [74.0C] 13.0 7.0 15.0 17.0 32.0 15.0

16 957 D Loutit 100.0 14.0 [27.0] 18.0 19.0 21.0 12.0 16.0

17 A8 G Harbour 101.0 13.0 18.0 24.0 [30.0] 15.0 18.0 13.0

18 844 R Howells 110.0 16.0 11.0 15.0 18.0 [31.0] 24.0 26.0

19 25 S Brayshaw 115.0 49.0G 7.0 17.0 8.0 8.0 26.0 [74.0F]

20 907 D McKenzie 119.0 22.0 20.0 14.0 23.0 [25.0] 20.0 20.0

21 13 J Benson 122.0 15.0 19.0 [27.0] 25.0 22.0 19.0 22.0G

22 22 M Johnston 131.0 23.0 14.0 32.0 24.0 24.0 14.0 [74.0C]

23 N1 M Philpott 136.0 19.0 21.0 35.0 20.0 20.0 21.0 [74.0F]

full results here

http://www.lcsc.org.au/mam/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=175&op=page&SubMenu=

Maybe we have different ideas about what you mean by the tri swinging left or right?

Its just my dyslexia. Left and Right, Starboard and Port. All the same to me I'm afraid. Just ask anyone at the QLD State Cobra titles at Southport a few years ago...

More photos on Picasa from today's bedlam. http://picasaweb.google.com/HumpybongYachtClub

Planning is now underway for the 2011 Queensland State A-Class titles to be held at Humpybong Yacht Club over the Easter long weekend.

It is hoped that as well as the large QLD contingent from the national titles there should be sailors from NSW and the rest of Aus.

The first day of racing should coincide with the start of the Brisbane to Gladstone. More details will be release by the A-Class association once confirmed.

That's a hell of a long distance race to kick off with...

Yes. We thought a 1nm first leg was just too easy...