Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NaturalLime

When will USA-17 come to San Francisco Bay?

I remember hearing somewhere that if San Francisco became the chosen venue, that USA-17 would be brought there as a centerpiece? Yes, No?

I remember hearing somewhere that if San Francisco became the chosen venue, that USA-17 would be brought there as a centerpiece? Yes, No?

When did you last look out the GGB? Isn't Ocean Lady coming in tomorrow for the big celebration?

When did you last look out the GGB? Isn't Ocean Lady coming in tomorrow for the big celebration?

Good question. I'll ask

It could not get here soon enough. On my Q list as well. If you are at the Q&A also Bob, we should talk through our questions.

It could not get here soon enough. On my Q list as well. If you are at the Q&A also Bob, we should talk through our questions.

Ok..

:o

2011-01-05 18:10 PST -0.65 feet Low Tide

Just might fit. Wonder how she did coming around the Cape?

;)

Probably about 35 to 40 knots feathering it with the short rig ;).

I thought I picked up a comment from a reliable source several months back that if SF was selected as the venue, that USA 17 would be brought to the Bay in September '11. Not sure if this still holds true or not, but we'll hopefully find out tomorrow.

They start tooling around the bay on USA 17, and that will certainly be a major spectacle. Talk about creating publicity, holy shit - that will easily create some WW ink, at least in the sailing rags. "Oracle Racing USA 17's first sail since winning the 33rd America's Cup in Valencia Spain, this time on the SF Bay, venue of the 34th Cup"

What a perfect vehicle to generate corporate sponsorship for the event. Dress JS up in his NID robo gear again and offer to take a few executives of $25M + sponsors for a quick spin on the bay with some photos. Could actually be a good advertising vehicle for Oracle.

No kidding, low miles, a big sail inventory including a wing, and I heard the crew has their shit together too :).

All they need is a little wind and someone to hit the bottom once a week.

One major issue I see with USA 17 coming in to the bay is how to handle the spectator boats. Remember when that jerk off brought is Falcon in to the bay and the shit fight it created. It looked like a bunch of starving Ethiopians attacking a bag of rice during a famine, chaos, anarchy, and general panic. Now think of 17 going a moderate 25 knots through a pile of dopes on their 4 knot shit boxes. There'd be carnage of an epic proportion.

Seriously, you'd almost have to ban boats on the bay in a certain area the first couple of times they sailed because of the "fear factor" an inexperienced cruiser would feel when they saw 17 bearing down on them. The average cruiser would freeze and be a major hazard to themselves and others. Don't give me the Blue Angels argument, they're 200 feet above the deck and everyone is motoring in their boats. But there would have to be controlled areas like when they roll the boats in during fleet week.

Done right, bringing 17 on to The Bay for the first time, and it's a MAJOR win for SF & the AC. Done wrong and the fucknuts in City Hall will use it as ammo to kill the AC so they can support some homeless Ethiopian begging for rice on the streets of SF. Like SF doesn't have a homeless problem or anything.

Everyone will get to see the real deal and get excited for the AC in SF!

One major issue I see with USA 17 coming in to the bay is how to handle the spectator boats.

One major issue I see with USA 17 coming in to the bay is how to handle the spectator boats. Remember when that jerk off brought is Falcon in to the bay and the shit fight it created. It looked like a bunch of starving Ethiopians attacking a bag of rice during a famine, chaos, anarchy, and general panic. Now think of 17 going a moderate 25 knots through a pile of dopes on their 4 knot shit boxes. There'd be carnage of an epic proportion.

Seriously, you'd almost have to ban boats on the bay in a certain area the first couple of times they sailed because of the "fear factor" an inexperienced cruiser would feel when they saw 17 bearing down on them. The average cruiser would freeze and be a major hazard to themselves and others. Don't give me the Blue Angels argument, they're 200 feet above the deck and everyone is motoring in their boats. But there would have to be controlled areas like when they roll the boats in during fleet week.

Done right, bringing 17 on to The Bay for the first time, and it's a MAJOR win for SF & the AC. Done wrong and the fucknuts in City Hall will use it as ammo to kill the AC so they can support some homeless Ethiopian begging for rice on the streets of SF. Like SF doesn't have a homeless problem or anything.

USA-17 would have to be assembled in the Bay, not sailed in like the Maltese Falcon. That alone will give the locals time to assimilate their large new friend. While she is being made seaworthy, an outreach to remind mariners of the rule of gross tonnage and the personal costs of pranging USA-17 should keep things under control. I have lots of practice keeping my 4 knot shit box out of the way of the spinnaker wielding crazies. I will hold everyone else to my high standards. ;)

Never underestimate the brilliance and foresight of visionaries spawned within the US.

This problem was quickly and easily solved well over 100 years ago before tri-mirans ever exceeded 15 knots in uncrowded harbors.

post-24261-054051900 1294204895_thumb.jpeg

Anybody have the inside scoop on USA 17 and the Smithsonian Museum?

I heard there was an offer to house it there. Is this true?

Would not surprise me. I think the Air and Space museum has the headroom to accommodate her.

While I have no doubt that USA 17 will end up in sf, I simply cannot see them sailing it (especially with the wing) in the bay. I was just speaking to someone who has brought a large trimaran (Geronimo) into the bay on their return from japan. He said after crossing the pacific twice with the crew, he hadn't seen them more terrified than when it came to docking in sf. Even with sails down, those wing masts still generate more than enough power to get the boat going faster than you'd think.

Also, USA 17 needs a whole support team for even the most simple of tasks. I am sure Larry has enough money to pay the guys for a week to get it ready for a few days, sail it around the bay once, and then disassemble it.. But I just don't see it happening. Furthermore, there is a quote from I believe JS, that they hadn't pushed the boat harder than they did in their efforts to catch and pass a5, and that every load alarm on the boat was going off. If that slight swell, and fuck all for wind, was triggering the alarms, I'd say 1 minute in the bay would blow the boat up- and there isn't really a good reason to destroy that boat for a victory lap.

Now, if it does take a victory lap, I would suspect it would be with a small wing (maybe a prototype ac72 wing). Which I guess we could call the chicken wing (or CW) cause you all love your abbreviations so much). I guess M1 is a possibly, but we don't know the extent the boat was modified (read how much structure was changed) to accept the wing.

What I am saying is- don't be surprised if USA-17 is only a nice shore side attraction.

Spitey did fine in a much more confined SD bay full of shit boxes... no worries..

While I have no doubt that USA 17 will end up in sf, I simply cannot see them sailing it (especially with the wing) in the bay. I was just speaking to someone who has brought a large trimaran (Geronimo) into the bay on their return from japan. He said after crossing the pacific twice with the crew, he hadn't seen them more terrified than when it came to docking in sf. Even with sails down, those wing masts still generate more than enough power to get the boat going faster than you'd think.

Also, USA 17 needs a whole support team for even the most simple of tasks. I am sure Larry has enough money to pay the guys for a week to get it ready for a few days, sail it around the bay once, and then disassemble it.. But I just don't see it happening. Furthermore, there is a quote from I believe JS, that they hadn't pushed the boat harder than they did in their efforts to catch and pass a5, and that every load alarm on the boat was going off. If that slight swell, and fuck all for wind, was triggering the alarms, I'd say 1 minute in the bay would blow the boat up- and there isn't really a good reason to destroy that boat for a victory lap.

Now, if it does take a victory lap, I would suspect it would be with a small wing (maybe a prototype ac72 wing). Which I guess we could call the chicken wing (or CW) cause you all love your abbreviations so much). I guess M1 is a possibly, but we don't know the extent the boat was modified (read how much structure was changed) to accept the wing.

What I am saying is- don't be surprised if USA-17 is only a nice shore side attraction.

Summer morning winds on the Bay are predictable and mild. We have a well organized wind machine here called the Central Valley.

Also, USA 17 needs a whole support team for even the most simple of tasks. I am sure Larry has enough money to pay the guys for a week to get it ready for a few days, sail it around the bay once, and then disassemble it.. But I just don't see it happening.

As an aside, I believe Larry Ellison could run the country of Japan for a year and not notice it, even without branding it Oracle and changing the expense to marketing. The really wealthy are REALLY WEALTHY.

My understanding from Brad Webb is that it will be sailed with the shorter wing. He also waxed nostagically about the flat windy water as the Bay turns south, making me think that is the mire likely spot to see 17 running about.

The shorter mast will fit under the bridge, he said.

Would not surprise me. I think the Air and Space museum has the headroom to accommodate her.

No fucking way. I have been in both quite recently and there is no way they are hanging it in either the one here or the one out by Dulles without a serious remodel. Plus, I believe they call it the Air and Space museum for a reason and can't recall any boats of any kind in either.

One major issue I see with USA 17 coming in to the bay is how to handle the spectator boats.

FUCK YEH!

I see no down side to any of this. Do you?

I think LE will bring USA 17 to the SF Bay and tool around to promote the event.

That will be a huge promotional draw and media event that will drive the AC34 message home. Wait and see what happens.

I did ask this of Iain Murray who first said, 'That's Oracle's deal.' That it would be coming and be docked at Pier 80...Then said he'd heard a rumor that it would be here for, quoting him, "Navy Week?"

I did ask this of Iain Murray who first said, 'That's Oracle's deal.' That it would be coming and be docked at Pier 80...Then said he'd heard a rumor that it would be here for, quoting him, "Navy Week?"

Dixier, did you hear anything about a 2nd defender syndicate?

Thanks for asking. I assume he meant fleet week, which is October 7-12, link.

Te Kooti may not be interested in attending.

Dixier, did you hear anything about a 2nd defender syndicate?

Theres another thread on this (how would 2nd defender work?).

My assessment

1-Its allowed, permitted (See SF docs that state LV, Defender series if held, AC to be in SF)

2-Talent exists to staff/lead a team

3-sponsorship has been a challenge in part due to

-venue uncertainty

-strength of Oracle position

-absence of a billionaire sailing sugar daddy (Koch?) anyone? anyone? which requires syndicate complexity of multiple multimillionaires

To answer your question TK, I did not ask. It was hard to get any questions in during the panel and frankly, I didn't have that one on my list (sorry). The actual presser allowed for about 5 questions and then as the panel came down each person was mobbed (except Larry) with people. I mobbed Iain and he answered every question I had along with Ron Young, and Rob Grant. But I can write and ask to see how he responds....

Dixie

Can't say whether or not they had an offer to house her, but they don't have the space anywhere for her. I was just out at the A&S Museum Annex by the airport and there's no room on the floor for her. And there's no display gallery big enough for her in the DC location. Neither location would be able to house her with the wing up. The Annex has a high ceiling, but nowhere near high enough.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare to bring USA and the wing for a victory lap...

Are you forgetting they have to figure out the logistics for a fleet of AC 72s with wings! And a fleet of travelling AC45s with wings.

What's a better way to intimidate the competition and raise funds and publicity at the same time.

They also having it to play with, its not a boat covered by the surrogate rule to my knowledge....its not even a cat. But a great baseline platform for wing testing and development.

Sounds like a logistical nightmare to bring USA and the wing for a victory lap...

Are you forgetting they have to figure out the logistics for a fleet of AC 72s with wings! And a fleet of travelling AC45s with wings.

What's a better way to intimidate the competition and raise funds and publicity at the same time.

They also having it to play with, its not a boat covered by the surrogate rule to my knowledge....its not even a cat. But a great baseline platform for wing testing and development.

I'm under the impression that that was a major factor in the design brief no?

If I did attend it would be to parade around with a banner urging big cuts in the US military budgets.

Although I hear Secretary Gates has already taken steps down this road.

Obama is determined to cut military budgets.

And so he should.

A good way to start would be to delete propanganda shit like "Navy Week" and Air Force aerobatics.

To answer your question TK, I did not ask. It was hard to get any questions in during the panel and frankly, I didn't have that one on my list (sorry). The actual presser allowed for about 5 questions and then as the panel came down each person was mobbed (except Larry) with people. I mobbed Iain and he answered every question I had along with Ron Young, and Rob Grant. But I can write and ask to see how he responds....

Dixie

Not ... do not worry.

It is ok.

There either is a 2nd defence syndicate.

Or there isn't.

We will hear soon enough.

Glad you had a good time at City Hall.

If I did attend it would be to parade around with a banner urging big cuts in the US military budgets.

And so he should.

A good way to start would be to delete propanganda shit like "Navy Week" and Air Force aerobatics.

I doubt you would have made it past security. If you did manage to get in and show your banner, I'm pretty certain you would have been shown the door.

The air force team is the Thunderbirds btw. Blue angels is the navy team.

Hey guys a thought here Kooti and Eagle are sock puppets for the same dude sitting in his card board box with his laptop?

Those video's were really something terrible to post on line. There must be better ones somewhere :).

Those who have not served in the military services, US or otherwise, to preserve and protect freedom, may never understand the full commitment of putting your life on the line for others you do not and may never know. Altruism in its purest sense, and done without a thought. One can not give more than one's own life for the sake of others freedom. Good on all those that do, as millions benefit.

Thanks for the videos -

Those who have not served in the military services, US or otherwise, to preserve and protect freedom, may never understand the full commitment of putting your life on the line for others you do not and may never know. Altruism in its purest sense, and done without a thought. One can not give more than one's own life for the sake of others freedom. Good on all those that do, as millions benefit.

Maybe not, but some of us live in areas where just a generation ago, various military services were pitted against each other, for some reason or other - there is NOTHING glorious about warfare.

Mind you, this does NOT detract from the heroism of the (mostly) kids who, through little choice of their own, find themselves involved in the fighting. But war, unlike two hundred years ago, is not fought by two armies meeting on a deserted field to sort things out, wars now are fought right where people exactly like you and me work, live, and love - spare a thought for them.

I don't want to insult anyone, but unless a country has experienced actual modern warfare in all its bloodchurning reality, they should be careful glorifying the military. And, no, 9/11 doesn't count as warfare in this sense - carpet bombing does, as do tanks rolling down your street, and hearing the noise of battle just over the horizon, wondering if it will come closer or not, or being interned in a concentration camp for no other reason than that the powers that be think your nationality poses a problem. Just ask my parents.

Rant over

sorry 'bout that

OK back to the subject at hand !

I've always thought that the logistics side of the AC World Series (at least when the AC72 start entering the picture) would greatly benefit from dedicated shipping resources to help move perhaps a dozen or so 72ft catamarans around the world. Unless I'm mistaken, there is enough shipping capacity available at very reasonable prices to make this a realistic option

So if AC management is already considering contracting a particular vessel to do this, one of it's first jobs may just be to bring USA-17 home :)

Of course, I may be totally mistaken, and they may prefer to charter a fleet of 747's to move the AC72s around - without a chainsaw, USA-17 ain't gonna fit in one of those...:blink:

They gotta find somebody in Valencia to scrape off the BMW decals and replace the diesel with a small block first. ;)

I'm sure LE will find a way to do a victory lap in the Bay and promote AC34 soon enough.

And so he should.

Ever serve your country...?

Ever put your life on the line for it...?

Ever had the honor of escorting a civilian on board a ship or base...?

Ever thought why I am asking you these questions in a thread on SA/AC about if USA17 is going to be in SF?

was this 'serving your club' posted yet? in case not:

--

Golden Gate Yacht Club Holds Course As AC Host

By Michelle Slade on January 12, 2011 4:20 PM | No Comments

Tucked away at the end - or the beginning depending on whether you're on foot or under sail - of Yacht Road along the San Francisco Marina West Yacht Basin is the Golden Gate Yacht Club, a two-story-unassuming-almost-quaint yellow building and home of the America's Cup Defender ORACLE Racing. Its location couldn't be more ideal for its task at hand as host club for the 34th edition of the America's Cup - just 1.8 nautical miles east of the Golden Gate Bridge and central to the city front, the site of the future race-course for the next event. While on paper it seems that the GGYC must hold a fundamental role in all that's been happening over the past year, in all truth we haven't heard much from the folks who constitute the membership in the notoriously modest club. I checked in with Marcus Young, former Commodore of the GGYC and now Staff Commodore, who assured me that there's plenty going on behind the scenes...

officers-young.jpg

As host Club what IS GGYC's role in all this?

Marcus Young: The Club is really the mechanism by which the races occur. In order to become a challenging team for the Cup you have to enter through a recognized yacht club. That's where the relationship between the Cup and a club starts. Now that we are the Defender and the Trustee of the Cup, we're the point of entry for the other teams wishing to enter. Challenging teams and clubs lodge their challenge to race with us, pay the entry fee and the Club is responsible for the processing and approval of those entries. As we move forward over the next couple of months, the Club will most likely take on a bigger role in some facets. However, we've assigned management of the event over to the new entity, the America's Cup Event Authority (ACEA) because it is important to have professionals who are experienced with the complexities of sports marketing for the management of the event. I would argue that it would be difficult today for any club, really, to manage the business of the racing and the event side of this event on their own without a separate entity assisting on the management side of things. Craig Thompson and his crew are professionals who know how to do this right and we are extremely pleased to have them on board.

That's not a concept that's new to the AC34, however?

Marcus Young: I think it's widely agreed that Dennis Connor really changed the game of the America's Cup. He did a lot to professionalize the sport and paved the path for the AC to be a truly professional sport. The on-the-water race management has evolved over the past 10 years and that is a very good thing. The goal should have been and is now to have an independent on the water entity free of the political whim of the defending yacht club. We have that today with America's Cup race Management. Beyond the racing, however, we have Larry Ellison and Russell Coutts to thank for a broader vision of the event itself and that it where Craig Thompson and his crew come in with ACEA.

For AC34 we're trying to create a sustainable model so no matter who wins, there is this independent authority that travels with the event - much like the Olympics with the Olympic committee - and continues to manage it so that no club is crushed by the weight of hosting the event. So a big piece of what we are doing today is creating this sustainable model - all supported by sponsorship and licensing - to help create an event that is at once a great sports spectacle and completely manageable in terms of going forward after the event is over.

Who is taking on the increased responsibilities and activities at GGYC?

Marcus Young: Until a few days ago we had no idea where AC34 was going to be - San Francisco was our first choice, but Italy and Rhode Island had put forward strong cases. Today's AC is not only about convenience in the location, but it is also about creating that sustainable model and have certainty that all of the pieces are going to come together. Now that we know that the AC is in San Francisco, the real work begins - for the City and for the Club. We're extremely happy the event will be in San Francisco as it puts the spotlight squarely on the Club and there is work to be done. Between now and the end of February, while ACEA gets relocated, we're going to start working on our side to figure out who we need to hire full-time, what can be done by volunteers, etc. The GGYC is small and there will be a need for professional help club side but what that is and how that works is being worked on now.

What changes can we expect to see at GGYC?

Marcus Young: The Club is going through a bit of a renaissance. The focus is really in bringing the physical plant up to a new standard - and it should be mentioned that these plans have been in place for some time, but we now have a more definite deadline to get the projects completed. The changes you'll see will be modest but designed to make our members feel at home in a place where they can really enjoy. You won't see a complete teardown and re-build. We visited with Larry (Ellison) and others on the subject a few years ago and all agreed that they did not want to see any major physical changes with the clubhouse because he and others involved liked it the way it was. In fact, one of the reasons ORACLE Racing came here was because of our casual and non-exclusive feel and so we need to keep that as we go forward.

How has the relationship with the Cup benefited GGYC membership?

Marcus Young: For those of us who have been involved with the Club for some time it's fun to see the changes in membership when the Cup comes into the clubhouse. It's a great honor to have it and the membership appreciates that. From a perspective of marketing to get new members, it's been great. A lot of people have joined this year because we won and they want to be part of this historic moment. We anticipate that over the next 2-3 years those membership numbers will continue to grow - I'd expect it to double from where we are today, and that would be just about perfect. Membership is our number one priority, so it's something we spend a lot of time working on, a lot of time massaging, so even though we have the Cup, we are not resting. We're always looking for members, good members - people who want to volunteer, put their time in and be part of the organization, give back in a positive way. Of course now we have this great tool we can use to attract people who may not otherwise join. We're still an accessible facility; we still welcome visitors into the clubhouse, which won't change going forward. It's part of who we are and how we've created what it is we have at the Club.

Any truth to the rumor that GGYC & St FYC would merge?

Both clubs have come in and out of that conversation for the better part of a decade and no one should be surprised. It's not that far-fetched. We exist within yards of each other and our facilities are complementary to each other. StFYC is a more traditional operation than ours, we're more casual, but regardless, we share the same real estate locale, and our vision is the same. The question always was and is today, how would our membership feel about merging and would it be in the best interests of each club to do it. Today, we look for ways to partner apart from merging that bring our organizations together in a way that's productive and proactive. In my tenure during the last four years, we have worked diligently with the StFYC to mend fences of our neighborly rivalry and work closer together. You have to give credit to both boards of directors and the flag officers from both organizations to allow that to happen and the result has been beneficial to both clubs. Today we share assets. When they have big races and need more room we facilitate that and vice versa. With the America's Cup here, and even with ACEA and ACRM, we're still looking at the St FYC as a partner in that endeavor as we will look for all of the Bay Area clubs to partner with us in the coming months and years. Are the clubs going to merge in the next 30 days? I really don't think so. But we will continue to work together over the next three years. If the clubs do merge at some point in the future, I can assure you it would be managed as a win-win for everyone. But the only thing we're working on today is a cooperative relationship.

What Cup-related activities will the Club host in the near term?

Marcus Young: There's a lot going on behind the scenes and we are currently putting together our calendar for the year which is both focused on Club activities and AC related activities - both private and public programming. I don't expect to see any details until February after the Board has had a chance to meet and the Entertainment Committee has had a chance to get its arms around everything, given a week ago we weren't really sure where we were going.

How long have you been involved in leadership roles at GGYC?

Marcus Young: I had a six year run in leadership - I was the vice commodore for two years and commodore for four years and was on the board for a couple of years before that. My title now is Staff Commodore and Liaison for the America's Cup Team. My role has shifted slightly, meaning that I don't go in and take a look at the budgets everyday for the Club; and I am not looking at the menu and making changes with our GM. I'm focused on our relationship with ORACLE Racing and our relationship with the City's America's Cup Organizing Committee and ACEA. I was happy to be commodore for both the victory in Valencia last year and to have me tenure as Commodore end with the announcement that San Francisco would be the host city for AC34. It's a great feeling to go out on such a high note.

That's a really good interview and an accurate example of how transparent he is and how casual the club remains today despite winning the Cup.

No nonsense about wearing your hat or your cell phone going off in the club, just a relaxed and welcome atmosphere - politics is literally non-existent and the staff is there to serve the members. Pretty much a significant departure from the politics at most clubs.

I'll leave it at that and save face for a few local clubs, who know well who they are ;).

Probably about 35 to 40 knots feathering it with the short rig ;).

I thought I picked up a comment from a reliable source several months back that if SF was selected as the venue, that USA 17 would be brought to the Bay in September '11. Not sure if this still holds true or not, but we'll hopefully find out tomorrow.

They start tooling around the bay on USA 17, and that will certainly be a major spectacle. Talk about creating publicity, holy shit - that will easily create some WW ink, at least in the sailing rags. "Oracle Racing USA 17's first sail since winning the 33rd America's Cup in Valencia Spain, this time on the SF Bay, venue of the 34th Cup"

What a perfect vehicle to generate corporate sponsorship for the event. Dress JS up in his NID robo gear again and offer to take a few executives of $25M + sponsors for a quick spin on the bay with some photos. Could actually be a good advertising vehicle for Oracle.

+ 100

That fucker is a serious draw, I may even be the best proof of it.

Been saving this fun 'clew' to crack....

9h5j4n.jpg

Okay, my TWENTY THOUSANDTH post - Yikes! But I like to think it's a pretty good one.

If all goes smoothly then DZ will be passing under the Golden Gate Bridge riding on, I believe, this ship!

GET READY SAN FRANCISCO! :)

Assuming the Star Isfjord is our new star ship to watch then: Her current location could be a clue to her arrival in Valencia, and then given a few days to load up, her arrival date in San Francisco. I believe Ocean Lady took from Tuesday December 15 to Monday January 4th to sail San Diego to Valencia, 20 days.

If we can determine Star's arrival to Valencia then it's arrival to SF should be: that date plus about 3 days to load, plus 20 days to SD, plus (?) 3 days to SF, for a total of ~+26 after arrival in Valencia.

Her current location is the North Sea:

http://www.sailwx.in...html?call=LAOX5

forgive me the self-salute, but since the number changes i wanted to snap it - cheers

lwuao.jpg

It seems like only yesterday you were holding back from breaking 15,000.

Son........you need to put down the Kool-Aid and get a life.....:P

Assuming the Star Isfjord is our new star ship to watch then: Her current location could be a clue to her arrival in Valencia, and then given a few days to load up, her arrival date in San Francisco. I believe Ocean Lady took from Tuesday December 15 to Monday January 4th to sail San Diego to Valencia, 20 days.

If we can determine Star's arrival to Valencia then it's arrival to SF should be: that date plus about 3 days to load, plus 20 days to SD, plus (?) 3 days to SF, for a total of ~+26 after arrival in Valencia.

What's your clue that this is the boat?

A special charter like last time presumably?

A little reminder..........

I really liked the music inthis one.

I really liked the music in this one.

Yep - That's the spirit!

Stingette and I were laughing last night about this next voyage, and about the music she had put to this one.

edit: I thought you were all over the music in

? :lol:

Am not seeing it as an arrival at the Port of Valencia, yet. The port posts for only a few days ahead and I would expect it to arrive not until around Jan 25/26 to still make SF by Feb 26 after loading up. Tracking its path after departing (apparently by that sched) Vlissingen on Jan 18 headed to the Panama will be the for sure tipoff. An 'unscheduled' sudden turn towards Valencia should nail it.

Have an email in to the Vancouver BC office of Grieg Star hoping for a confirmation, will post if they do respond.

Filmed Jan 11

I really liked the music in this one.

Yep - That's the spirit!

Stingette and I were laughing last night about this next voyage, and about the music she had put to this one.

edit: I thought you were all over the music in

? :lol:

Oh yeah.......................I was all over that one. ;)

Still waitin' on that 'Highway Star' production.

I liked the one of it going through the canal...

Do we get to do the canal watch all over again?

Well if I lived on the Bay and had never seen DZ before, then you bet I'd be watching the approach with anticipation. Hell, some of us probably will anyway, yes including through the Panama :)

The really fun part will be watching them pass beneath the Golden Gate on arrival. Auckland apparently has little going for live webcams (looked hard for some today) but SF? Probably loaded with them.

Those video's were really something terrible to post on line. There must be better ones somewhere :).

Thanks for the videos -

+1000

I liked the one of it going through the canal...

Do we get to do the canal watch all over again?

Well if I lived on the Bay and had never seen DZ before, then you bet I'd be watching the approach with anticipation. Hell, some of us probably will anyway, yes including through the Panama :)

The really fun part will be watching them pass beneath the Golden Gate on arrival. Auckland apparently has little going for live webcams (looked hard for some today) but SF? Probably loaded with them.

Your 'target' seems to have dropped off the radar! Does it stop reporting when she stops moving?

http://www.sailwx.info/shiptrack/shipposition.phtml?call=LAOX5

Your 'target' seems to have dropped off the radar! Does it stop reporting when she stops moving?

I found, but forgot to post, a better web link for tracking her.

http://marinetraffic...entery=58.29377

--

Destination: VLISSINGEN

ETA: 2011-01-18 01:00 (UTC)

Received (626): 0h 2min 20s ago

--

Vlissingen, NL (coincidentally, where I think OL headed to next after Valencia) is about a 25 day trip to SF. It is also 25 days from Valencia to SF, although OL did the reverse trip in 20 days, perhaps with her throttles wide open.

The Star Isfjord is scheduled to also stop in Manzanilla before SF, if it runs its normal schedule.. And so with a possible diversion to Valencia, loading, etc, yes - the time is going to be interesting. The key will be what she does after departing Vliss.

I found, but forgot to post, a better web link for tracking her.

http://marinetraffic...entery=58.29377

--

ETA: 2011-01-18 01:00 (UTC)

Received (626): 0h 2min 20s ago

--

Vlissingen, NL (coincidentally, where I think OL headed to next after Valencia) is about a 25 day trip to SF. It is also 25 days from Valencia to SF, although OL did the reverse trip in 20 days, perhaps with her throttles wide open.

The Star Isfjord is scheduled to also stop in Manzanilla before SF, if it runs its normal schedule.. And so with a possible diversion to Valencia, loading, etc, yes - the time is going to be interesting. The key will be what she does after departing Vliss.

Thanks - that is working and it makes sense now.

Did you not see the footage of DZ mixing it up with locals on San Diego bay on the last day of sailing before packing up for Valencia?

Easy Peasy.

Also, note that the problem with MF did not occur on the day she sailed into the bay, but when she was racing in the LC and some singlehanding idiot rounded up into her rail.

Maybe not, but some of us live in areas where just a generation ago, various military services were pitted against each other, for some reason or other - there is NOTHING glorious about warfare.

Mind you, this does NOT detract from the heroism of the (mostly) kids who, through little choice of their own, find themselves involved in the fighting. But war, unlike two hundred years ago, is not fought by two armies meeting on a deserted field to sort things out, wars now are fought right where people exactly like you and me work, live, and love - spare a thought for them.

I don't want to insult anyone, but unless a country has experienced actual modern warfare in all its bloodchurning reality, they should be careful glorifying the military. And, no, 9/11 doesn't count as warfare in this sense - carpet bombing does, as do tanks rolling down your street, and hearing the noise of battle just over the horizon, wondering if it will come closer or not, or being interned in a concentration camp for no other reason than that the powers that be think your nationality poses a problem. Just ask my parents.

Rant over

sorry 'bout that

so... you never served.

so... you never served.

And those who have served know that 90% of work in the military is not in combat, that the "putting the life on the line rhetoric" is typically used by those who did not serve as a personal compensation and conversational diversion. But it's the internet and no one knows we're dogs. Best to leave the jingoism and false patriotism off a sailing blog.

That's one odd looking boat for USA17 to be shipped on. Star Isfjord has a waterline beam of 102' with deck hatch and cargo hold less width than that. USA-17 hulls are 90'. The wing is 223'. I would have thought one of the yacht transport ships or some other vessel using deck storage to accommodate the oversized pieces of USA-17.

That's one odd looking boat for USA17 to be shipped on. Star Isfjord has a waterline beam of 102' with deck hatch and cargo hold less width than that. USA-17 hulls are 90'. The wing is 223'. I would have thought one of the yacht transport ships or some other vessel using deck storage to accommodate the oversized pieces of USA-17.

Not sure why they might choose a 'specialized' cargo ship, with the movable whatever-those-are 'roof' structures on board. But deck space-wise, at

Length x Breadth: 198 m X 31 m

She is bigger than Ocean Lady (something like 175m x 28m) yet narrow enough to make it through the Panama.

Not sure why they might choose a 'specialized' cargo ship, with the movable whatever-those-are 'roof' structures on board. But deck space-wise, at

She is bigger than Ocean Lady (something like 175m x 28m) yet narrow enough to make it through the Panama.

But that's not deck. Those are big hinged cargo hold doors. So USA-17 would have to go inside. One of the yacht carriers would seem the most logical as there is plenty of deck space and they typically handle all kinds of shapes. USA-17 could sit right on the deck and the wing underneath, on top or alongside of it.

Those moveable things are gantry type cranes. They have wings that fold out over the pier- the crane rolls fore and aft on the ship and then sideways to unload onto the pier. Self loader for 3rd countries- bring your own crane. Not sure why they did it. A crane on shore at Pier 80 would do it

Rant over

sorry 'bout that

so... you never served.

No intention of glorifying war, just recognition of the commitment of those that serve, whether in war or peacetime missions.

Those moveable things are gantry type cranes. They have wings that fold out over the pier- the crane rolls fore and aft on the ship and then sideways to unload onto the pier. Self loader for 3rd countries- bring your own crane. Not sure why they did it. A crane on shore at Pier 80 would do it

But the deck is not a deck but big hinged hatches, they open up like a pages in book and cargo goes inside not on top of the cargo doors. So if USA-17 is being shipped on that boat, it is going inside.

Why not one of the yacht carriers?

post-45672-031036000 1295318538_thumb.jpg

But the deck is not a deck but big hinged hatches, they open up like a pages in book and cargo goes inside not on top of the cargo doors. So if USA-17 is being shipped on that boat, it is going inside.

I understands the holds are covered. I assumed it would go as deck cargo. I'm curious why they don't repeat what they did to go to valencia ? I'm guessing those ships are too big for pier 80 which is my understanding of destination

I understands the holds are covered. I assumed it would go as deck cargo.

Nothing goes on top of the cargo hold doors. All cargo goes inside the hold on these ships.

Nothing goes on top of the cargo hold doors. All cargo goes inside the hold on these ships.

PM me if you want to bet $1000 against the Star Isfjord. I will happily supply a bank routing deposit number.

PM me if you want to bet $1000 against the Star Isfjord. I will happily supply a bank routing deposit number.

Then USA-17 is going into the hold and you owe me $1,000. That's my bet.

Rant over

sorry 'bout that

so... you never served.

No, I never served

But both my parents were direct witnesses and victims of 'those who served'...

My mother saw her neighbours's house blown sky high by 'someone who served'

My father spent several years in camps hosted by 'those who served'

Not going to argue with you on this posting as obviously you lack a certain "seeing the obvious" in your statement.

Rant over.

So whats the latest? When does the Star get to Valencia for the true end of the era?

So whats the latest? When does the Star get to Valencia for the true end of the era?

Speed/Course: 0 kn / 241˚

Draught: 12.1 m

ETA: 2011-01-18 02:00 (UTC)

I hope we see her destination changed to Valencia, once it loads up and departs V. Because otherwise, that ship pic sent to me by someone in Europe was a wild goose chase! Took some effort figuring what the ship name was, a lot of companies run similar color schemes even from the Bergen area.

Speed/Course: 0 kn / 241˚

Draught: 12.1 m

ETA: 2011-01-18 02:00 (UTC)

I hope we see her destination changed to Valencia, once it loads up and departs V. Because otherwise, that ship pic sent to me by someone in Europe was a wild goose chase! Took some effort figuring what the ship name was, a lot of companies run similar color schemes even from the Bergen area.

Yes, and the longer the delay, the more likely it could miss that Feb date with Pier 80.

Yes, and the longer the delay, the more likely it could miss that Feb date with Pier 80.

And all of her follow-on dates. San Diego, Vancouver WA (up the Columbia River), Vancouver BC (up the Frasier River), something like that, lots of port-dates to make.

Am pretty sure it has to make P80 by Feb 26, per the company schedule posted. The question is if it gets delayed in V long enough that a big side trip to Valencia on the Med is not possible for the timeframe.

Side trip to Lake Tahoe too?

Anyway, just looking at her again on the new OR Team website (are they allowed to have those?) doesn't USA 17 remind us of, what was it, either the Romulan or Klingon ship? Has someone already mentioned this?