Flirt of paget

Restoration Ron Holland IOR racer Flirt of Paget (2)

FOP, loving seeing these photos of it all coming together. Having seeing all the earlier photos of the components being made (like the lightened storage hatch frames) it's great to now see them in place and get a better understanding of how it all fits together. Keep it up, just under a month to go.

Regards, Thijs

Hi Thijs, yeeeeaaah that makes me also very stressed, now it is for real for the first time in a loooong time, but I don't complain just that I can not hide now when we have a deadline.

The boys worked on the floor panels and Per did a lot of small details I show you later. It is so cool to see the pros work.

Cesar and I installed the Dynema tie-rods keeping the back stay in place, it is now designed with four tie-rods, two on each side and installed in a 90 degree angle, it might be difficult to see from the photos but it looks extremely strong and sturdy and also light. They are good for some 10000 kg each so in order to pre-tension them I hooked up the overhead crane to the 4000 kg forklift we have and I lifted the front. Let it hang there for a few minutes and the Dynema was almost like a rod.

New update tomorrow I guess. //FOP

post-47989-0-60842400-1402087641_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-21103200-1402087654_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-37614400-1402087673_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-57924100-1402087688_thumb.jpg

Small update;

/FOP

Jävla svenskare... Shit det er flot båd du får lavet!

The next time im in that vicinity, i'll have to go see your boat.. admirable work.. and you know how hard it is for a dane to acknowledge something swedish... well done!

Hahaha, now imagine how hard it would be for a German! LoL

Amazing work, truly!... And thank you for sharing FOP.

• Like 1

What an amazing record fo such a complete and wonderful restoration of an old IOR warhorse.

You should compile it all into a a boat restoration handbook.

She is beautiful

SS

• Like 1

I don't know about a book... remember my Swedish class when you should write a novel, scary memories. Anyway here is a small update;

First a few photos of the floor panels details and a small overview and finally the door to the cabinet in the aft cabin.

post-47989-0-77751800-1402342150_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-51889000-1402342167_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-71705000-1402342186_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-97521500-1402342202_thumb.jpg

I would buy a coffee table book of this restoration.

Here is a small teaser showing the preparation of the support to the steering pedestal. Roman welded it today and we will polish it tomorrow and install the entire steering system permanent tomorrow. Last photo show the old tiller and old cockpit..

//FOP

post-47989-0-07322100-1402700605_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-91134100-1402700676_thumb.jpg

Well, FOP, we expect some progress now. You haven't been out dancing around during Midsummer and singing about the frogs have you?

Pics, we want more pics!

Best

J

Hi all SA friends,

We work seven days a week now including the guys from Najad... opps we have done that for the last 5 years, almost forgot. Progress is good but the floor is sooo time consuming, the spars are now in the shop and it looks pretty good with a really glossy and fat Awlgrip paint applied some three years ago. The rig will be lifted in place late this week or next week while FOP still is on the hard. We intend to launch her on the slipway standing in her cradle.

I have had computer failure the last week or so and that is the reason for lack of updates, now I just wait for my photoshop before I can update with new photos.

I don't know if this works or if you use it but I will update several times per day on my Instagram account, if you want to follow the next two weeks work get an Instagram account and search for lasseklingstrom.

//FOP

Hello FOP,

You must be very busy doing the final touches for the launch. Must be hard to continue to put maximum effort into every detail without rushing it now. I'm sure it's a very exciting time for you, your family and all helpers. Good luck and best wishes, wish I could be there for the big event!

Please keep the updates coming, we are all hanging for more information. :)

Seen from your Instagram site that you are also doing work on your house as well as trying to complete the most meticulous rebuild of a yacht with a deadline weeks away. You are a glutton for punishment. If anyone needs proof of the phrase, "if you want something done, ask a busy man", they just need to reference to you! Good luck with it all. Thijs.

• Like 1

I'm thrilled for you. Splash day -4. Beautiful work and gorgeous workmanship Hope it floats right side up!

• Like 1

Boy those old IOR racers were sure a high water mark in sailboat aesthetics - the undistorted ones anyway.

Beautiful job - enjoy.

FOP:

Will this thread end with her successful launching (Yay!) from your instagram page, or will you be able to share a bit of launch day with us?

Eventually, the story becomes sailing or cruising anarchy, rather than fix-it, but again, thanks for sharing.

If your relaunch was anything like ours have been, there were a 100 little things that needed to be done -- and that assumed the engine cranked and that the big things worked Ok.

Good to know she is back in her element.

Regards

P

Hi,

due to some stupid computer problems at home I have not been able to update the progress as planned, in an attempt to give some feedback I have an instagram account "lasseklingstrom" and there are a few new followers. Anyway computer is cured and progress is fine. First here is a few photos of the frame for the vertical hatch, which Mathilda and Roman polished and a detail of the rigging.

post-47989-0-00811500-1405749406_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-08231500-1405749443_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-34992900-1405749464_thumb.jpg

Due to the poor weather in beginning of July we removed the backstay each morning and pushed here back into the building up to the mast and we had a nice and dry boat to work on.

The amount of details to be completed is massive and my credit card is burning, we have had a few problems I did not think should occur, details of this will follow soon and some things I thought should be difficult has just passed without any concern.

post-47989-0-90443600-1405749951_thumb.jpg

Hey FOP, are you in the water? I just got on board our boat in Nya Varvet and saw what I swore was Flirt across the harbor, but she's gone this afternoon. Wish I had gone over to take a look, but been battling a dead alternator all weekend.

I sincerely hope reason for FOP's recent quiet is that he and the rest involved with the project are out sailing the gorgeous old girl. Updates would be nice, but that can wait if the girl is finally stretching her wings again...

• Like 1

Boy, he gets it in the water and promptly forgets about us. :angry:

• Like 1

Did I hear he was shopping for a new boat?

• Like 1

There was a pic from Port Townsend posted on another forum that had a shot that looked just like FoP - could he have shipped it over here already?

There was a pic from Port Townsend posted on another forum that had a shot that looked just like FoP - could he have shipped it over here already?

Not unless he teleported back. According to instagram,he was sailing in the Skagerrak an hour ago.

10643882_722897561079556_1050637756_a.jp

Great project......the restoration of IOR 21.7 half ton projects is picking up pace along with quarter ton here in the UK as the classic fleets are attracting fantastic interest. We have looked very closely at entering the fray but are a bit alarmed at the costs and unless fully committed you end up with an noncompetitive half tonner which also rates badly in IRC. You have to go the whole way which involves a multitude of design alterations which we feel destroys the attraction of racing an IOR boat and we wonder if this was the intention of the Half Ton Classics Association when reviving the class ??? All the same having come from that era of yacht racing and raced with some of the best in Poole in '78 and '81 I get a huge wave of nostalgia in looking at boats of this generation and wish you the very best in your endeavors. I am am from a background of racing dinghy manufacture and it certainly looks from your photos that you are giving it 100%.......fantastic !!!!

Hi guys

Finally I have had a chance to get back with some fresh photos. Since launch July 5 we have been working and actually sailing FOP a lot, She perform really nice and we are so happy with the job, details and also performance. We still have a big list of things we need to fix but overall she is ready.

More updates will follow from now on but first a few shots from Thursday evening sail on the river.

post-47989-0-95800800-1412420491_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-93784800-1412420510_thumb.jpg

I really appreciate all your comments. The big splash was epic, we had some +80 guests family, friends and even people walking by stopped and looked. Our big neighbour Svitzer (tugboat company) was looking and they signaled with their big horn once she touched the water. Here are a few more photos of the party and of details, more to follow if you are still interested to hear about Flirt of Paget.

post-47989-0-67855800-1412425969_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-93868900-1412425990_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-97382700-1412426030_thumb.jpg

I really appreciate all your comments. The big splash was epic, we had some +80 guests family, friends and even people walking by stopped and looked. Our big neighbour Svitzer (tugboat company) was looking and they signaled with their big horn once she touched the water. Here are a few more photos of the party and of details, more to follow if you are still interested to hear about Flirt of Paget.

Congrats - you must be very happy.

Looks like you chose your crew carefully. ;)

• Like 1

First sea trails went up and down the river, the engine could not rev good and instantly started to smoke and felt it was overloaded even at 1500 rpm and the gear was extremely difficult to engage and also get back to neutral. Finally we decided to lift her with mast and everything (travel lifts are rare here) and we found a service yard with an old high lifting crane and extreme sling. I changed the pitch three times before we got it reasonable good and suddenly the gear was also easy to maneuver...

post-47989-0-43858800-1412538956_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-72079800-1412538974_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-90393300-1412538991_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-90576400-1412539011_thumb.jpg

Few more from this summer... not so much about restoration but I think you can handle it anyway.

Swedish archipelago and my best partner.

post-47989-0-59977600-1412540447_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-39355400-1412540464_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-20283300-1412540481_thumb.jpg

Life is good.

Don't you have to get her out of the water soon? That weather looks mighty fine for Sweden in October.

Life is good.

Don't you have to get her out of the water soon? That weather looks mighty fine for Sweden in October.

Sure is, the weather has been fantastic this fall, mild and fair winds. She is to be lifted this week or latest next week. I am figuring how to cover her up, shrink wrap or proper scaffolding (or what you call it). Mast up or not...

You mean you don't have a heated and carpeted shed for her?

You have to go the whole way which involves a multitude of design alterations which we feel destroys the attraction of racing an IOR boat and we wonder if this was the intention of the Half Ton Classics Association when reviving the class ???

No it wasn't, and we do not encourage this. That is why at half ton events we have both a 'corinthian' and the 'half ton true spirit' trophies.

To do well in IRC with a IOR-halftonner, it is generally known that a runner-free 9/10 rig (back-swept spreaders) on a longer halftonner (9m45 or more) is a good combination.

Well done. Congrats!!

Well done. Congrats!!

+1 to that. You deserve some wonderful sailing. Thanks for sharing the rebuild.

+1 as well. Thank you so much for all the details of the project. It's inspiring to say the least.

I also share your pain about being lifted out of the water for the winter. We are scheduled for a week Saturday.

This has been,beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best thread on this entire site the last several years.

On Parr with game of thrones in terms if anticipation of updates. Well done. Start another boat!

• Like 1

This has been,beyond a shadow of a doubt, the best thread on this entire site the last several years.

On Parr with game of thrones in terms if anticipation of updates. Well done. Start another boat!

3 x Thank you. well a new boat is not in sight now... but a 45 ft aluminium boat from 1984 could be cool.

wow !!!!!!!!!!! massive respect !!!!!!!!!!!!!! fantastic project...............I am a boatbuilder and raced IOR....'smiffy' 'demolition' back in early late seventies / early eighties.........again WOW !!!!!!!!

• Like 1

wow !!!!!!!!!!! massive respect !!!!!!!!!!!!!! fantastic project...............I am a boatbuilder and raced IOR....'smiffy' 'demolition' back in early late seventies / early eighties.........again WOW !!!!!!!!

They are still racing!

This is one massive headsail...

Congrats on the beautiful work done and getting her back on the water, may you have many happy years together.

• Like 1

//Fredrik :-D

"Neither art nor nature ever created a more lovely thing".

• Like 1

Here is a clip from our first summer with Flirt after the 5,5 year restoration. She is so nice and fun and cannot wait until next summer.

Thanks to all for your support and encouraging comments over the years.

//FOP

Nice cinematic touch on the movie of the bow wave being when you rolled the The End" credits... Sort of like the beginning of all the sailing, yet the end of the movie.

Love it.

• Like 1

Here comes an update from the big splash back in July, it feels like yesterday but it soon 4 months ago. It is my good friend Claes Axstål behind the camera.

I will try to write about Flirt on flirtofpaget.blogspot.se, with updates and future plans, pls feel free to follow the work there.

post-47989-0-35977100-1417383701_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-47822600-1417383741_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-07745300-1417383779_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking along for the ride, interested to know what plans you have for Flirt this winter?

We plan to rebuild the pulpit and pushpits so they will be easy to dismantled IF I can continue to keep here indoor during winter. Flirt is too high for the door and since I don't plan to modify the keel yet I need a simple way to adjust the hight.

I have nearly ordered the dodger/sprayhood with cockpit tent and that will be a fair deal of work for me since I plan to custom made all the fittings and arches to my toughts, updates to follow.

We need a new main sail even if that is no work for me, only spending.

The table tops need to be properly done, this year we only had MDF board rough cut.

Insulation shall be improved around the motor.

bilge pumps moved to low spot.

Adjusting doors and drawers in the pentry.

//FOP

Thanks for taking along for the ride, interested to know what plans you have for Flirt this winter?

We plan to rebuild the pulpit and pushpits so they will be easy to dismantled IF I can continue to keep here indoor during winter. Flirt is too high for the door and since I don't plan to modify the keel yet I need a simple way to adjust the hight.

I have nearly ordered the dodger/sprayhood with cockpit tent and that will be a fair deal of work for me since I plan to custom made all the fittings and arches to my toughts, updates to follow.

We need a new main sail even if that is no work for me, only spending.

The table tops need to be properly done, this year we only had MDF board rough cut.

Insulation shall be improved around the motor.

bilge pumps moved to low spot.

Adjusting doors and drawers in the pentry.

//FOP

FOP, after sharing with us a stunning rebuild , comment above sound like you have ordinary boat owner projects. Some how I think even those mundane items will be completed with a flare of excellence!!!

Hi here comes an early spring update. We are working according to a schedule to fix a number of small things we didnt have time to fix last summer. Here comes the first one and we have improved the isolation in the engine compartment and also made it bright and easy to keep clean. It will be interesting to see if we can reduce the engine noise. Last one is from winter of 2008 //FOP

post-47989-0-13304200-1427491788_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-07135000-1427491818_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-34083300-1427491832_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-82130000-1427491848_thumb.jpg

post-47989-0-28490700-1427491956_thumb.jpg

... bump...

just cuz I miss this thread

Bump..... gawd I miss this thread lol

Me, too. Was a nice 20 minutes I just spent re-perusing the pictures. What a gorgeous boat. Thanks for the bump.

• Like 1

Me, too. Was a nice 20 minutes I just spent re-perusing the pictures. What a gorgeous boat. Thanks for the bump.

Hi FOP here,

I will get back later this week with some updates from last summer and the work we perform this winter. No photos today but I will figure out again how to do it... Basically she is fabulous light, eager to move at any conditions, even when moored you can feel that she wants to get away.

Thanks all of you that you stumble back and look for updates, I really appreciate this action from you.

Anyway she is stored indoor with families other yacht, you will see the photos. I have a few pretty cool features to install really super custom parts and they will look awsome.

1-ton cup in Breskens NL will happen this August 25-28 and I plan to truck her down and sail home, need some new sails, pls tell me what you would go for if you had a limited budget without sponsorship, got a new carbon mainsail last summer and the g1 is medium and used 3-4 season. What else shall I aim for? Maybe we have old followers whom want to sail with us in Holland in August?

//FOP

you need crew? ;)

you need crew? ;)

I'm local and also willing!

Hi,

I have never hired crew to my yacht before... I am interested to get help and will most likely not be able to bring a full crew from Sweden. I have a core crew and looking for some additional help. Lets come back to this issue in a little while I am currently busy to arrange with work on Flirt as well as transporting her to Breskens.

Over water?

Well I had one idea to truck her down and sail back. I was also approached by a shipping company but have not heard back from them yet... Third option is to sail her both ways. Today it looks like I will sail both ways but nothing is finalized. //FOP

Hi,

I have never hired crew to my yacht before... I am interested to get help and will most likely not be able to bring a full crew from Sweden. I have a core crew and looking for some additional help. Lets come back to this issue in a little while I am currently busy to arrange with work on Flirt as well as transporting her to Breskens.

Any update FOP?

have to bump this thread back to the top every now and then ;)

where's the boat? any new pics out on the water?

Wow, just stumbled across this thread due to the bump- thanks.

I’m in awe of the dedication, discipline, and attention to detail demonstrated throughout this project. And of the labor and expense that must have been involved.

I’m the relatively new owner of another Brin Wilson built boat, a S&S designed cold molded kauri one-tonner from 1971, a former Sydney-Hobart winner. The quality of construction is exceptional, and it has helped keep a now 45 year old boat in quite good condition. I’m just getting started with a refurbishing- though one that will be nowhere near this extensive. You are inspiring me to go the extra distance in my efforts to preserve this vessel for the future.

I’ll just say, as so many others have, that this is incredibly impressive. Hope you are enjoying it to the fullest.

It does, though Brin Wilson deepened the rudder over the S&S design. It is amazing to see how much racing yacht design had evolved in the 15 years or so between Pathfinder and Flirt. Pathfinder is very traditional in appearance. Flirt is just gorgeous, surely some kind of perfection.

25596875954_f0f7dd31f3.jpg

Old school, I like it!