Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dogedog

Strickly Sail - Chicago - who's going?

I'm not a newbie to the show but I haven't been as an SA'er...what's the plan? I'm arriving Fri AM and going to the show straight away...where's the fun happen?

I'm not sure about the Strickly Sail - Chicago, but you'll most likely find me at the Strictly Sail Chicago. I know, I'm the last motherfucker to be spell checking anyone else, but I'm doing it in memory of Wheretodayskip.

Just be on the lookout for this scoundrel. Known to handout fake cuban cigars and try to talk his way on the big-boy boat rides.

I read the Zac Sunderland Revival Show will be in town

Now there is a chance to go listen to how a dumb-as-a-door kid made it around the world somehow - his sister didn't when she tried to copy him

I'm not a newbie to the show but I haven't been as an SA'er...what's the plan? I'm arriving Fri AM and going to the show straight away...where's the fun happen?

You getting a booth for the Shockstar gear bags?

The Weather Mark on S. Michigan is a solid spot after the show.

I'll be there at the Northwestern Sailing Team booth from 3-5p on Friday. You're welcome to stop by and keep me company

Saturday is college sailing meetings upstairs all day dry.gif

yes and no. I'm working (down to the wire) to have a few people w/booths display them for us. besides that we're going gorilla marketing style this year...we'll be selling them out of the back of our van in the parking lot until we get kicked out!

you guys need some cupholders from me on your sled'

I will go to buy some gloves for a $5 discount. That's all I can afford this year.

Weather Mark Winter Post-Strilky Sailing Party is a GO for Friday night.

Weather Mark Winter Post-Strilky Sailing Party is a GO for Friday night.

+1

i will be there in the Pettit booth. Working a booth all day, i just get a nice dinner and chill. Plenty to do in Chicago. Every bar can become a party. There are a couple of boatyards that will be there discounting SR21 at super killer prices. If that is your product of choice, check out the show. ( I know, cheap ploy for a commercial.) Any way you cut it, it should be a great show.

Weather mark- check. We got a killer rate at the W lakeshore which has a bar atmosphere in the lobby and the whiskey bar on the top floor so I'm sure my liver will hate me by sunday!

Who is going?

Probably the same type of numb nuts who are purchasing tickets for the Yachting Ball in a desperate attempt to to resuscitate brain dead CYA from the coma that it's been in for years.

Wow.....Aren't you all warm and fuzzy...

No kidding.

Come out & support sailing.

Support it with your admission ticket alone.

Support it in any way we can.

Don't be hater.....

jim

yes and no. I'm working (down to the wire) to have a few people w/booths display them for us. besides that we're going gorilla marketing style this year...we'll be selling them out of the back of our van in the parking lot until we get kicked out!

you guys need some cupholders from me on your sled'

For sure. Bring a couple with you to the awards night. Rumor has it you're doing the Mac this year?

+1 on Whiskey Sky liver damage

Mac was in the cards until I knocked up the wife w #2. Due July 1. Still working on sarasota to Havana race and mills though. I'll bring the gear to trophy night.

No kidding.

Come out & support sailing.

Support it with your admission ticket alone.

Support it in any way we can.

Don't be hater.....

jim

+1. Power boat show needs these type of attitude not sailing.

Well if I was able to convince her a treadmill purchase covered me from thanksgiving through Easter you can swing that.

Who is going?

Probably the same type of numb nuts who are purchasing tickets for the Yachting Ball in a desperate attempt to to resuscitate brain dead CYA from the coma that it's been in for years.

Wow.....Aren't you all warm and fuzzy...

Can you say 'Hi George?'

I'll be there at the Northwestern Sailing Team booth from 3-5p on Friday. You're welcome to stop by and keep me company

Will you have any NU Sailing gear there with you?

I'm a proud Wildcat grad and would like some NU gear...

Winter Anarchy Party is officially ON for Friday night.

$5 Mt Gay

$4 Goose Island 312 & green line

Sweet!

Winchbags.com will offer 10% off at the party.

There will be a Sculpin on site Thursday and Friday AM.

just inked a deal w/Sobstad MW to display our stuff! thx Rich!

the sales team decided they are driving up (w/a qutr-keg of christmas ale in the back seat) so we'll see where that ends up...my wife was hoping this would be a vacation; looks like it might be more of a frat-party for winchbags.com... my liver hurts already!

Will you have any NU Sailing gear there with you?

I'm a proud Wildcat grad and would like some NU gear...

Yeah, I think we'll have at least some shirts for sale. Not sure how much or if we'll have other stuff (hats maybe?) but it's possible.

the sales team decided they are driving up (w/a qutr-keg of christmas ale in the back seat) so we'll see where that ends up...my wife was hoping this would be a vacation; looks like it might be more of a frat-party for winchbags.com... my liver hurts already!

+1 for The Ed

+1 Xmas Ale

For $6, you get one adult ticket to the Strictly Sail Chicago boat show (up to a $15 value).

For $12, you get a family pack to the Strictly Sail Chicago Show for two adults and two children (a $25 value).

For $30, you get a Strictly Sail Yacht Club membership, which includes a four-day pass and access to the members-only lounge (a $60 value).

Get Your Groupon

Time left to buy - 1 day and 17 hours

For $6, you get one adult ticket to the Strictly Sail Chicago boat show (up to a $15 value).

For $12, you get a family pack to the Strictly Sail Chicago Show for two adults and two children (a $25 value).

For $30, you get a Strictly Sail Yacht Club membership, which includes a four-day pass and access to the members-only lounge (a $60 value).

Get Your Groupon

Ok, so I gave them the money. How do I get my tickets????

Get Your Groupon

Best save your money so you can retain counsel.......

Isn't that cute? My own personal stalker! I'm touched, really!

d23ce037-4ea8-48fd-9d2c-7a4bf924f508.jpg

Get Your Groupon

It's in your printer.

Get Your Groupon

It's in your printer.

No printer, on the road, PM sent.

Thanks Lazy Guy and thanks for the tip. Will buy you a beer if we meet. Probably will be at Windward Mark Friday. Or at The Jayhawks if tonite isn't enough....

NMU SAILING will be there. check out our nautiness

no tits? lame. and you need a helluva lot more roll on those light-air gybes and need to be much more aggressive on those roll tacks

Half off admission if you sign up for Goldstar, which I think is like Groupon but for Midwest tickets. Anyways, it's here.

http://www.goldstar....-navy-pier.html

um... OK

the groupon above is 60% off. but international media usually gets into these joints for free, no?

for free? sounds cool.

no tits? lame. and you need a helluva lot more roll on those light-air gybes and need to be much more aggressive on those roll tacks

thanks

no mention of how half our sails don't have battens, though lol? we do the best with what we've got and it's a very young team

Thanks Lazy Guy and thanks for the tip. Will buy you a beer if we meet. Probably will be at Windward Mark Friday. Or at The Jayhawks if tonite isn't enough....

No sweat. Good "chatting" with you

Half off admission if you sign up for Goldstar, which I think is like Groupon but for Midwest tickets. Anyways, it's here.

um... OK

the groupon above is 60% off. but international media usually gets into these joints for free, no?

For mildly retarded San Francisco Laser sailors only, the Groupon discount expired on the 25th. I'm so glad there's a place that even the mentally handicapped can post though, glad to have you here MJR.

Keg status?

thanks

no mention of how half our sails don't have battens, though lol? we do the best with what we've got and it's a very young team

good on you... non established programs are really hard to build, as it seems as soon as the program makes strides, everyone graduates.

fundraiser hard, train hard, recruit, get in the best regattas you can. document your weaknesses and improve on them and the results will eventually follow. most importantly, put things in place so that when you graduate, the program keeps making strides.

um... OK

For mildly retarded San Francisco Laser sailors only, the Groupon discount expired on the 25th. I'm so glad there's a place that even the mentally handicapped can post though, glad to have you here MJR.

right on, al. and yes, mildly retarded but can beat you in any boat, on any stretch of water on the planet, what does that make you?

ps- ive spent about 20% of my total sailing time in lasers

Keg status?

The keg didn't make it but I just had my second Mt gay drink.

I went down to "Strickly Sail" yesterday (Friday) from Madison, WI. I have never been to an all sail boat show before, so I don't know what is typical, but I can weigh in on my experience.

My favorite parts of the show:

1) The radio controlled sailboat booth. I went to the show with a racing budy, and we both hadn't sailed since boat lift out in the fall. Although it is not quite the same is real sailing, it still requires the same stragegies and is subject to all the pitfalls of real sailing. Watching beginners with the RC Boats was just like watching a beginning sailing lesson. I think we went back to this booth at least three times to push all the little kids out of the way and get another try.

2) The RS100 single handed skiff. This boat looks like loads of fun. It is a small single handed skiff with main and big asym kite. No trap (that I saw) but it does have wing seats. It looks like a really fun way to go swimming.

3) The Hobie people had a lot of stuff there. A lot of it was for non sailors (kayaks and such), and none of it was new, but it was nice to see some smaller boats at the show.

4) Benetau first 30. This looks like the only boat from Benetau that I might actually consider (if I had the clams). It looks sporty enough for my taste, and overall it feels like a much bigger boat than 32.5' because it is so wide. When I was looking at the cabin, some people were commenting about the lack of head room. I agree, in principle, but if you compare it to the IOR boats in the 30' range that I have sailed, there is loads of headroom. Maybe if I save up my pocket change until I'm 80...

My Dissapointments about the show:

1) Watching HUNDREDS of old people drool over 50 foot Jeanaues, Hunters, and Benetaus. All day. As the guy I was with said, these boats look like a floating garage (that you can't even park your car in).

2) A kind of bothersome lack of smaller racing boats- wetas, skiffs, moth, SB3, Open 5.70, etc... Those are the boats I wanted to see.

3) I don't have $300,000 to spend on a benetau, so I wish there was a more consumer friendly (i.e. cheaper) way for me to participate in the boat show. Books, DVDs, and other small ticket items were almost nonexistent. This made most of the boat show inaccesible to someone like me (an avid sailor) who crews on a J-80 and owns a laser.

4) I was there on Friday and I didn't read about the party at the Weather Mark until I got home friday eve. I cannot report on any of that anarchy...

Overall, I enjoyed the show, and the dissapointments were small compared to the plusses.

-Matt

post-50225-001701200 1296309989_thumb.jpg

post-50225-091612700 1296310055_thumb.jpg

post-50225-015392700 1296310057_thumb.jpg

Conditions at the Weathermark....

DSCN2560.JPGDSCN2519.JPGDSCN2508.JPG

DSCN2501.JPG

Smaller bunch of Winter Anarchists...but still fun.....

Haven't gone for a couple of years- Definitely smaller than before "The Change You Can Believe In".

The J/111 looks pretty, very nice, but the cockpit lazarettes look like shin busters.

The Hood32 is a beautiful daysailer.

The SmartKat inflatable catamaran that fits in a couple of bags looked interesting, I wonder how those pontoons for amas work.....

Off to buy the winning Powerball Mega-Millions Lotto ticket now

post-2650-058692200 1296322196_thumb.jpg

Boats still in their cradles, ore docks in the background - that water had to be a bit nippy?

good to see you back.

I went down to "Strickly Sail" yesterday (Friday) from Madison, WI. I have never been to an all sail boat show before, so I don't know what is typical, but I can weigh in on my experience.

My favorite parts of the show:

1) The radio controlled sailboat booth. I went to the show with a racing budy, and we both hadn't sailed since boat lift out in the fall. Although it is not quite the same is real sailing, it still requires the same stragegies and is subject to all the pitfalls of real sailing. Watching beginners with the RC Boats was just like watching a beginning sailing lesson. I think we went back to this booth at least three times to push all the little kids out of the way and get another try.

2) The RS100 single handed skiff. This boat looks like loads of fun. It is a small single handed skiff with main and big asym kite. No trap (that I saw) but it does have wing seats. It looks like a really fun way to go swimming.

3) The Hobie people had a lot of stuff there. A lot of it was for non sailors (kayaks and such), and none of it was new, but it was nice to see some smaller boats at the show.

4) Benetau first 30. This looks like the only boat from Benetau that I might actually consider (if I had the clams). It looks sporty enough for my taste, and overall it feels like a much bigger boat than 32.5' because it is so wide. When I was looking at the cabin, some people were commenting about the lack of head room. I agree, in principle, but if you compare it to the IOR boats in the 30' range that I have sailed, there is loads of headroom. Maybe if I save up my pocket change until I'm 80...

My Dissapointments about the show:

1) Watching HUNDREDS of old people drool over 50 foot Jeanaues, Hunters, and Benetaus. All day. As the guy I was with said, these boats look like a floating garage (that you can't even park your car in).

2) A kind of bothersome lack of smaller racing boats- wetas, skiffs, moth, SB3, Open 5.70, etc... Those are the boats I wanted to see.

3) I don't have $300,000 to spend on a benetau, so I wish there was a more consumer friendly (i.e. cheaper) way for me to participate in the boat show. Books, DVDs, and other small ticket items were almost nonexistent. This made most of the boat show inaccesible to someone like me (an avid sailor) who crews on a J-80 and owns a laser.

4) I was there on Friday and I didn't read about the party at the Weather Mark until I got home friday eve. I cannot report on any of that anarchy...

Overall, I enjoyed the show, and the dissapointments were small compared to the plusses.

-Matt

Thank you for the report newb. Now, fuck off and show us your girlfriend's, sister's, Mum's, wife's and/or gumar's tits...

Dog - Liver status please?

Show was great. My liver is unfortunately fine but my pancreas hurts. Caught the flu and spent Saturday afternoon and night with a fever and in bed at the hotel. But not before we got a proposal for 100 winchbags from a marina to stock on their retail shelves! So I guess being sick was worth it.

At the airport now. Does beer go with cold medicine ?

Conditions at the Weathermark....

DSCN2560.JPGDSCN2519.JPGDSCN2508.JPG

DSCN2501.JPG

Smaller bunch of Winter Anarchists...but still fun.....

Is Grinder wearing some sort of hat?

Hear she glides across the snow and ice quite well too.

Jack knife, trailer seperates from truck, truck flips on side, boat seperates from trailer, all ends well? WE NEED PICS!!!

I saw the trailer, looked a little mangled.

can beat you in any boat, on any stretch of water on the planet

I'm sorry, did this offer expire too? tongue.gif

Reading is fundamental.

I apologize to all y'all for not making a bigger effort to get over there and host a big party for the SA'ers. Next year it's a promise.

Winter Anarchy 2011

Big thanks to all that gave liquor and swag to our little get together...

Bob and the entire Line Honors family

Laser Performance Chicago

Mike at Zhik your New Zealand sailing gear is always a big hit

Mike and all the folks at UK Chicago

Newbie Scott from Hyde Sails North America (who was that nauti girl?)

Goose Island, you're always there for us when we get thirsty

Mt Gay Rum, no matter what the yacht clubs try and force us to drink you will always be the official drink of the Sailing community

thanks for anyone and everyone who stopped by the U of Illinois Sailing Club booth and bought a shirt or sticker, or even just shot the shit with us. We look forward to strictly sail as its the only time we can sell shirts in a market outside the broke college student one. Its also great to hear from alumns and people who told us about crazy college sailing stories, even if it didn't take place at ours.

I'm sure that my utmost thanks and appreciation is true of all the other college teams were there, the support from sailors like you is what often keeps us afloat.

thanks again, and i hope everyone had a good time!

I left a little early on Saturday night, but the CYC Pink Pony Party seemed to be the shiz. The parking lot was overflowing, the place was relatively packed. And I saw a lot of new faces. Whoever organized this year's party, good job and please keep it up. I promise to stay later next year..

Willsail4food dropped the bomb on me, ruined my night, that's why I had to leave early. I couldn't compose myself. I didn't want everyone to seem me, blubbering?

It was nice to see everyone at the (needs to buy an ad) booth. Thanks for stopping by and saying hello...

I'm sure that my utmost thanks and appreciation is true of all the other college teams were there, the support from sailors like you is what often keeps us afloat.

Very true. I know people on my team were impressed with how many people stopped by and told us stories of their times sailing in college and bought a shirt to support ours. This kind of generosity keeps us all enjoying the sport we love and encourages us to think about those that will follow in our footsteps.

Thank you all for your help.

-NUST

Jack knife, trailer seperates from truck, truck flips on side, boat seperates from trailer, all ends well? WE NEED PICS!!!

The bad news: getting to Chicago was a little more eventful than we would have liked (here pictured off the side of 80 West near Du Bois, PA). We all know that trailering a boat across the country is a tricky business. Add in a newly paved highway, pounding snow, and a patch of ice, and it can get truly hairy. (Luckily the Boat Locker guys who were right behind us did not suffer the same fate - I don't think Lasers would have fared so well!)

The good news: thanks to major help from Kevin and everyone at Chicago Strictly Sail, Sandy, PA Fire Unit 37, Bricen Towing of Pennfield, PA, the Scott's from Selden Spars, Dan from Marblehead Trading Company, Crowley's Boat Yard, Tartan, and a stellar shrink-wrap job by CW Hood's own Matt Barner, we still made it to the show and were all set up just in the nick of time! No one was hurt and the boat was in stellar condition!

post-50304-049560300 1297046989_thumb.jpg

post-50304-029585300 1297047031_thumb.jpg

The bad news: getting to Chicago was a little more eventful than we would have liked (here pictured off the side of 80 West near Du Bois, PA). We all know that trailering a boat across the country is a tricky business. Add in a newly paved highway, pounding snow, and a patch of ice, and it can get truly hairy. (Luckily the Boat Locker guys who were right behind us did not suffer the same fate - I don't think Lasers would have fared so well!)

The good news: thanks to major help from Kevin and everyone at Chicago Strictly Sail, Sandy, PA Fire Unit 37, Bricen Towing of Pennfield, PA, the Scott's from Selden Spars, Dan from Marblehead Trading Company, Crowley's Boat Yard, Tartan, and a stellar shrink-wrap job by CW Hood's own Matt Barner, we still made it to the show and were all set up just in the nick of time! No one was hurt and the boat was in stellar condition!

I have to say that has been THE best looking boat there the past several years. I keep looking at it and thinking I really want one. Unfortunately, reality sets in soon and - Nevermind.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble of bringing it to Chicago.

Very, very impressive. The boat looked beautiful and you would never know. Very professional recovery.

Love the name Knottyknots!

I have to say that has been THE best looking boat there the past several years. I keep looking at it and thinking I really want one. Unfortunately, reality sets in soon and - Nevermind.

Thanks for taking the time and trouble of bringing it to Chicago.

+1 Reminds me of a mini version of northern light with that color scheme and look

Be known: Nauti Girl is naut associated whatsoever...

Scott Steele~Hyde sails is a fuckin bullshister...He's naut even employed. Theifass~hack paid me to make him look ligit. Really??? Would anyone talk to the dumbfuck otherwise.

Run & HYDE toddler~its time to light up your kite.

...Thread to come...

Seriously, TX for letting it slide...XØ. My security detail is slipping without Vegas.

Winter Anarchy 2011

Big thanks to all that gave liquor and swag to our little get together...

Bob and the entire Line Honors family

Laser Performance Chicago

Mike at Zhik your New Zealand sailing gear is always a big hit

Mike and all the folks at UK Chicago

Newbie Scott from Hyde Sails North America (who was that nauti girl?)

Goose Island, you're always there for us when we get thirsty

Mt Gay Rum, no matter what the yacht clubs try and force us to drink you will always be the official drink of the Sailing community