• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Te Kooti

News From the Viaduct

If OR get tired of sailing, there is a good schnapper fishery up there.

Schnapper is a rock.

Snapper is a fish.

OR won't get tired of sailing their AC72 down here.

Neither will we.

I'm in Auckland for business 9th/10th/11th July... hopefully staying at the Hilton so I can have an easy wander over to Halsey St.

Any times I should block out in my diary during the day to see some movement at the ETNZ station?

There is very little to see outside the tents - but they could burst into action any day I guess.

My suggestion would be to observe what you can but also to try and talk to some of the people working there and show a genuine interest in what they are doing and planning. It's not all secret - after all they will be blatting around the harbour soon enough - and then let's just hope the Aucklanders (and guests - good man) are a bit more observant than the sleepy folk in the Bay Area!

We may see it for the first time only at the unveil show/shindig, wasn't it scheduled for the eve of Saturday July 21?

Really depends if they're going to show it with wing in place. Or even do a formal launching. If either, there will be some trial runs prior to the 21st. Then again, they might just roll out the platform.

We may see it for the first time only at the unveil show/shindig, wasn't it scheduled for the eve of Saturday July 21?

Really depends if they're going to show it with wing in place. Or even do a formal launching. If either, there will be some trial runs prior to the 21st. Then again, they might just roll out the platform.

Wing up would be a ballsy move if on the hard - can a calm day be guaranteed?

The launch will be full Monty in the water.

a good time to show blunted's video from the multihull forum

if in a hurry watch from 2.26 when a gust from nowhere

flicks the C cat over

and in the background a albacore gets knocked flat in no time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ohSVlhVy

you don't want 1 of those hitting the big wings

when the boats are on the hard

http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=136500&pid=3775590&st=0entry3775590

What I found interesting is how little of the leeward bow needed to drive under for crash. I t appears that they have designed te reserve bouyancy down to a minimum, not a good learner boat.

]

They did the "full wing" with the first AC45s. Boats moved nicely (on the "trailer") as the wind moved. Good backdrop.

Grant will want the full enchilda.

Was it KZ7 that was launched without a keel? I have forgotten.

But I guarantee all the bits will be on this one.

What I found interesting is how little of the leeward bow needed to drive under for crash. I t appears that they have designed te reserve bouyancy down to a minimum, not a good learner boat.

Are you talking the AC45's ?

looks like there is quite alot of stuff happening here

http://www.takeabrea...-city.asp?cam=2

Foggy day - unusual for NZ. Some activity sure - especially in and around the platform tent, but can you make out anything they are doing or see any significant pieces of gear?

Looking at the ever changing shadows on the side of the tent that you can see before dawn and after dark and trying to imagine what the hell is going on is an interesting challenge.

Presumably it looks like a smaller version of this monster-garage..

550__alinghi09cb15073-5543.jpg

They must also be working on all the associated dollies and gear they'll need to have around to rig and launch, a mooring possibly, there's a big new chase boat to paint etc etc.

looks like there is quite alot of stuff happening here

http://www.takeabrea...-city.asp?cam=2

Foggy day - unusual for NZ. Some activity sure - especially in and around the platform tent, but can you make out anything they are doing or see any significant pieces of gear?

Looking at the ever changing shadows on the side of the tent that you can see before dawn and after dark and trying to imagine what the hell is going on is an interesting challenge.

Presumably it looks like a smaller version of this monster-garage..

550__alinghi09cb15073-5543.jpg

They must also be working on all the associated dollies and gear they'll need to have around to rig and launch, a mooring possibly, there's a big new chase boat to paint etc etc.

I remember seeing that for the first time thinking - how good is that going to look with plain pure silver hulls on the water - then they put that stupid paint job/nike swishes on it!

I remember seeing a photo of A5 before Marian even saw it on the day that shot was taken ;) long story.. but special for me having made an epic search for EB's boat. Even asked her in a post about a detail on the paint job, well before she saw it and was sworn to secrecy for almost 24 hours.

It will be interesting to see if anyone goes V. What was the original Lake Geneva racer that inspired A5 again? That sucker was Hot.

I remember seeing a photo of A5 before Marian even saw it on the day that shot was taken ;) long story.. but special for me having made an epic search for EB's boat. Even asked her in a post about a detail on the paint job, well before she saw it and was sworn to secrecy for almost 24 hours.

It will be interesting to see if anyone goes V. What was the original Lake Geneva racer that inspired A5 again? That sucker was Hot.

i think this is it, le black

post-62082-018155500 1341544408_thumb.png

There's been nothing much new to see at ETNZ over the last few day, http://www.takeabrea...-city.asp?cam=2 and unfortunately we can't see the LR base from the 2nd webcam on the silo.

I am expecting a new crane to be installed at least. What else? Bleachers and bunting? Probably not. Beer and pies - too fuck'n right!

'point' is about due to report back in - now what about you dorklanders?tongue.gif

Are you talking the AC45's ?

C class video

There's been nothing much new to see at ETNZ over the last few day, http://www.takeabrea...-city.asp?cam=2 and unfortunately we can't see the LR base from the 2nd webcam on the silo.

I am expecting a new crane to be installed at least. What else? Bleachers and bunting? Probably not. Beer and pies - too fuck'n right!

'point' is about due to report back in - now what about you dorklanders?tongue.gif

Swung by yesterday afternoon. No action visible at either base, from the street or other vantage points. There was some minor work extending floating docks at Luna Rossa but that was it.

From the SAAC TLA thread:

LBOS - Le Black on Steroids.

Swung by yesterday afternoon. No action visible at either base, from the street or other vantage points. There was some minor work extending floating docks at Luna Rossa but that was it.

Thanks - yep, you can see the floating crane (?) working on the Westhaven side of the two LR tents in the background here: http://www.takeabrea...-city.asp?cam=2

A little action with forklift etc coming and going from the ETNZ platform tent*, but I guess the real story was the chase boat launch - up a creek somewhere at the top of the harbour right?

contact-chart.gif

*might be imagining it - the shadow of two hulls through the end of the tent now

It is, and so is this:

aywb9.jpg

WetHog :ph34r:

Posted Today, 07:44 PM

snapback.pngWetHog, on 10 July 2012 - 07:37 PM, said:

It is, and so is this:

aywb9.jpg

Take this to the 'Ernie's Private Lake Racing' thread please.

VIADUCT!...get it? - Hell, that's not even salt waterohmy.gif ...and trim that bloody jib!

It is, and so is this:

aywb9.jpg

VIADUCT!...get it? - Hell, that's not even salt waterohmy.gif ...and trim that bloody jib!

There's a Ernie's Private Lake Racing thread???

At least he spends his own money and not a countries...............

It is, and so is this:

aywb9.jpg

You'll have to show at least CHF10M of Daddy's money before I can tell you that.

(so much for keeping the thread on topic!)unsure.gif

At least he spends his own money and not a countries...............

It is, and so is this:

aywb9.jpg

You will find it with ...

I'M GOING TO SUE ERNIE INTO OBLIVION..started by the crazed indian..

and

Ernie is worse than Hitler... started by sailer boy

I'm told that ETNZ's 72 and wing are each assembled. They are just completing the livery before the official launch on the 21st. I haven't been able to find out if they will take it for a spin before hand. There is the restriction on the number of sailing days allowed so I would imagine they will want to maximise what they achieve on any sailing day.

For the rules gurus,: is there a difference between splashing, towing, and sailing the 72?

Protocol 29.2

(g) A Competitor is considered to be sailing an AC72 Yacht for one day anytime they

have that AC72 Yacht crewed and sailing (as opposed, for example, to only being

towed or moored) for any part of a given day.

If you had robotic sailors, does that mean you could have unlimited test time?

i imagine

to maximize time sailing

there will be something like an official launch party jul21st, where the hulls may or may not get wet

then the next day the boat will be dropped in before dawn? be towed out at dawn and sailed until sunset

weather permitting, if the weather is bad the sailing day will take a rain check

I'm told that ETNZ's 72 and wing are each assembled. They are just completing the livery before the official launch on the 21st. I haven't been able to find out if they will take it for a spin before hand. There is the restriction on the number of sailing days allowed so I would imagine they will want to maximise what they achieve on any sailing day.

Good to hear at least that whisper ssbill, thanks.

I imagine info is hard to come by - GD has said he'd like to hold his cards close until all becomes public on launch day. But hey, keep digging - we want the scoop!

I see the new 1200hp 'tugboat' has arrived --> 2:48PM http://www.takeabrea...-city.asp?cam=2

What about a crane - that would help,eh

I imagine info is hard to come by - GD has said he'd like to hold his cards close until all becomes public on launch day. But hey, keep digging - we want the scoop!

I see the new 1200hp 'tugboat' has arrived --> 2:48PM http://www.takeabrea...-city.asp?cam=2

i think there crane is the short blue one bye the left end of the wing tent

i think there crane is the short blue one bye the left end of the wing tent

That's right - that's the AC45/(SL33?) crane.

I guess now is the time to begin the speculation on launch techniques and equipment then.

-Platform and wing as one from above a la AC45?

-Wing erected on platform a la US17?

-Or maybe ETNZ have their own technique and won't need a crane - just float the wing up to the platform?

R11_3659JPG.jpg

The SF graphics seem to suggest the first.

And haven't we seen LR pouring a pad for a big crane? Didn't think there was too much doubt - must check the rules.

pier-27-29-art.jpg

Nice chase cat photo

http://www.sail-world.com:80/Australia/Americas-Cup:-Emirates-Team-NZs-new-chase-cat-arrives/99616

and:

Emirates Team NZ's AC72 is scheduled for launch in a public ceremony at the Viaduct Harbour on Saturday, July 21 at around 6.00pm. The event will be screened live on the prime TV news, and will be attended by John Key, the New Zealand Prime Minister. First sailing day is expected the following week.

Re - Launching

Well maybe I'm blind but I can't find any requirements for a standardised launch procedure for the 72s - in either the Class Rule or the Protocol.

The wing and platform have to be able to be suspended (independently) for weighing by the measurement committee but that seems to be that.

It would seem very strange if it's not there somewhere - as between them these two documents cover every other possible aspect of the plans.

GD "We have even had a team working on procedures to launch and retrieve the yacht. There was no manual to consult".

http://www.americasc...6/AC72-at-base/

For the rules gurus,: is there a difference between splashing, towing, and sailing the 72?

Protocol 29.2

(g) A Competitor is considered to be sailing an AC72 Yacht for one day anytime they

have that AC72 Yacht crewed and sailing (as opposed, for example, to only being

towed or moored) for any part of a given day.

Is this where SPIN enters the scene? wink.gif

Not if the tow line is dropped, crewed or not. Let's defer the definition of crew discussion until AC35.

Yes and already onstage. Energy storage and closed-loop control is disallowed for AC34 but I would be very surprised if the yacht club that wins next year does not relax these rules to allow automatic crew/gear safety systems.

Not if the tow line is dropped, crewed or not. Let's defer the definition of crew discussion until AC35.

Yes and already onstage. Energy storage and closed-loop control is disallowed for AC34 but I would be very surprised if the yacht club that wins next year does not relax these rules to allow automatic crew/gear safety systems.

maybe they should just drive the 'tug' infront with the towline attached.

just a thought

That's right - that's the AC45/(SL33?) crane.

I guess now is the time to begin the speculation on launch techniques and equipment then.

-Platform and wing as one from above a la AC45?

-Wing erected on platform a la US17?

-Or maybe ETNZ have their own technique and won't need a crane - just float the wing up to the platform?

Yep, the existing blue crane is too small and so far no sign of its big brother. Some smart work needed in the next few days to erect a semi-permanent crane or perhaps they are going with a humungous mobile crane.

I'm going with your option one, ala AC45.

Not if the tow line is dropped, crewed or not.

If we suspend disbelief and enter whimsy mode for just a moment (and it's a slow news day) I think sailing with robots doesn't count as a sailing day.

A Competitor is considered to be sailing an AC72 Yacht for one day anytime they

have that AC72 Yacht crewed and sailing

Note that "and". Crewed and sailing. Sailing and crewed.

Big night in Auckland with the big cat

etnz-ac72.jpg

Grant Dalton admires the Emirates Team New Zealand AC72

Emirates Team New Zealand will reveal its AC72 catamaran at a public event at Viaduct Harbour on Saturday, July 21

The team is promising a spectacular “launch day” for the big catamaran which another step forward in the team’s campaign to win the 2013 America’s Cup at San Francisco.

Team managing director Grant Dalton says July 21 will be a big day for the team. “We have been working towards the day for 18 months. Until now we have said very little about the AC72 project and we have shown even less.

“The design team of more than 30 people has been working since the end of 2010. The build team started in August last year. The AC72i represents more than 50 man-years of design time and 65,000 hours of build time.

“The design and build work has gone ahead behind closed doors. Now it’s time to share their creation with New Zealand.

“The team will be celebrating and we invite people to celebrate with us. He said the July 21 show is free to the public. “People will have great views from the Halsey Street wharf, from public areas around the Viaduct Events Centre and from the area around the lifting bridge.

“The action takes place on the water bounded by the Halsey Street wharf and the bridge.”

He urges people to arrive at the Viaduct by 5.30pm. “The first few hundred will have the opportunity to be part of the launch crew. The show will get underway by 5.45pm.”

Should the weather refuse to cooperate on the Saturday July 21, the show will go on the following day, Sunday July 22.

http://etnzblog.com/#!2012/07/big-night-in-auckland-with-the-big-cat

1342081320[/url]' post='3783453']

does anyone know if they are painting the 72 like the 45 or will they have a different scheme?

I think it's going to look livery wise like the (ghastly) ac45. New and old pics of the 72 hulls confirm same sponsor logo placement. Yuck.

Not if the tow line is dropped
So you can sail as many days as you want as long as there is a boat out the front connected by a towline?

Is towline defined? Does it need to be under load to count as a towline?

^^ Nice photo!

Yeah, I'm starting to think our guy has a little woodman going if you know what I mean! he's ffeling up a freshly hot painted cat but where's his other hand?:D

^^ Nice photo!

Yeah, I'm starting to think our guy has a little woodman going if you know what I mean! he's ffeling up a freshly hot painted cat but where's his other hand?:D

Each to his own!

He looks pretty fit though - stick him on a grinder, see how he goes, I say!

what will they do you the sl33's now?

Crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming, crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming, crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming, crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming,crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming, crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming,crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming, crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming,crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming, crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming,crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming, crew training, start training, tactics training, test foils, airfoil shapes, boat handling, trimming.

There is now a floating tent on the other side of the viaduct bridge, does this mean they want to sail NZilla through the bridge as little as possible?

dalts joked about it

but i think it highly unlikely

however they will probably blow through the fleet sometime before the cup final

and i hope those on the ribs take pics

So it's twelve so far - where's that list?

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBhMaHR0cDovL2Rpc3RpbGxlcnlpbWFnZTIuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS9jOWI5YmY5ODAzN2UxMWUyOGQ2NjIyMDAwYTFmYmM0M183LmpwZxQCFgASAA&s=A0w_n67gswwAmb4tu90LXx7v4hWTF7wPJBMFlvlBpnM

Wasn't someone on here up to 15 or 16 hopefulls built back when Barf was coming together ?

Yep, pretty sure BAR is #16 built.

The piece at SW last night, with a link to PD, about the Yuff Series, said something about 15 AC45's "at the ready in August." My guess is that one, maybe Aleph, got cannibalized along the way.

BAR is hull #9

Nice, thanks.

To put the puzzle together again we'd need to find the latest list but #9 may have been Aleph.

Not actually sure how they would get to 15 then.

Prince Charles and the missus are in New Zealand.

Soon after landing they were taken to see GD's mates (the Hawke brothers) and rest of Ngati Whatua (the main Auckland Maori tribe).

Grant and Taiaha Hawke both rubbed noses with the prince (and the missus).

The prince opened his speech with the Maori greeting "kia ora."

Apart from making Te Kooti happy, what does this have to do with the AC?

Not much, Except TNZ has a sailing partnership with Ngati Whatua.

As a result of Grant's support, Maori kids are sailing Firefly and other small boats.

And running around in expensive-looking TNZ gear.

A very good move by TNZ. And the Prince!

Ron Waddell (TNZ) is being considered for the job of Chef de Mission of the NZ team (for the next Commonwealth + Olympic games).

There are other equally good candidates.

If Rob gets the job it will not conflict with TNZ grinding commitments.

It would also be good (for NZ athletes) if Rob survives the America's Cup.

As an Olympic gold medallist in rowing, Rob is one tough cookie!

Ron Waddell (TNZ) is being considered for the job of Chef de Mission of the NZ team (for the next Commonwealth + Olympic games).

There are other equally good candidates.

If Rob gets the job it will not conflict with TNZ grinding commitments.

It would also be good (for NZ athletes) if Rob survives the America's Cup.

As an Olympic gold medallist in rowing, Rob is one tough cookie!

There's only one person eminently qualified for the CdM role: Martin Snedden.

Nice idea but his plate is already full!

"Rugby World Cup 2011 boss Martin Snedden has been appointed as the Tourism Industry Association's new chief executive.

"TIA chairman Norm Thompson said the association was delighted to attract someone of Snedden's calibre and experience to lead the organisation representing one of New Zealand's biggest export industries.

"Snedden had demonstrated strong leadership skills to stage an extremely successful Rugby World Cup 2011 and those skills would be brought to the TIA, Thompson said."

By popular demand.

This is the hongi

Actually it's not a proper hongi .. the participants to a hongi need to touch noses and foreheads together .. maybe she was not properly advised and her hat got in the way of a proper hongi ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hongi

By popular demand.

This is the hongi

So, a hongi is sort of a neo-colonial Brown Nosing ritual?

by EmTeamNZ

After a short meteoric rise in fortunes of brewing, The Big Cat is offering some vital sponsorship dollars in return for prime branding on the ETNZ AC72.

Now that is funny...

Just 25M reasons to support TNZ....