Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Editor

what is it?

We like this one, and we know what it is, but the question of the day is, do you? We have a $50 gift card from our friends at West Marine for the first correct answer.

what is it 1 27 1.jpg

Whatever it is it is only the mould

and we don't have westmarine here so where would i spend my voucher any way

It's a really expensive coffee table, so can show off your copy off wind.

Speed sail`s new innovation, it will have a 2,000 ton lead keel that can cant 360 degrees, complete with periscope and torpedo tubes, to fight off pirates..The canting keel shall be powered (indirectly of course) by a nuclear engine so it can remain underwater for long periods during its round the world record attempt..

could be a national 12

... edit.....fuck me that was my first post, hello all, will up load my gf's tits at a later date ( im on work pc) so fuck you all :-)

Leggero 9 mt. by the designer Paolo Bua. Leggero is building in La rochelle (France).

Bravo Seacube, you got it.

But you got the length wrong: it's 8 meters long. I hope it doesnt matter and the ed will give you your price!

Btw it's not the plug, it's a strip planking hull (it will be clear coated on the inside).

post-10179-017792600 1296131583_thumb.jpg

Whatever it is, the amount of rocker in the stern is almost frightening!

+1

Plug for a new 2.4m

New glasses and a tape measure for you I think.

Shaw 650 plug.

+ !

See post 19 snaggy; builder confirmed it's a Leggero 8 mt. by the designer Paolo Bua. Leggero is building in La rochelle (France).

Leggero 9 mt. by the designer Paolo Bua. Leggero is building in La rochelle (France).

But you got the length wrong: it's 8 meters long. I hope it doesnt matter and the ed will give you your price!

Btw it's not the plug, it's a strip planking hull (it will be clear coated on the inside).

OK, why a strip planked hull? Seems really old fashioned to me.

Plug for the new Esse 750?

I agreestrange amount of rocker in the rear....or its a lighting thing

Aesthetics?? Carbon outer skin??

If that's the case then the hull would be excessively heavy. This design could be cold molded I think, if they really wanted the wood look. But, I'm no boat builder so what do I know?

If that's the case then the hull would be excessively heavy. This design could be cold molded I think, if they really wanted the wood look. But, I'm no boat builder so what do I know?

Looks to me like it is to be cold molded? Thin, light strips infused with WEST or similar? Did a flush deck like that on PT30 hull #1 "Jet", back in the 70's. But you're correct, it will still be heavier than just carbon, I think?

Duracore - mahogany faced balsa core.

That boat has no "ass"

the strip planking is 10mm thick cedar, the wood is there.

Now the gaps between the plank have to be filled with charged epoxy, then laminated with glass (a light lamination).

The bottom will have a glass skin on the inside too, sandwich.

It is a quite light way to build a one off hull, and it is stiff too.

Maybe the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I think it has a nice high ass, look at the drawings and remember the perspective in the pics

It's a quick way to build a boat in the water though.

bamboo?

if not, has anyone made a bamboo and carbon boat? I know they're making bikes out of bamboo and carbon lashings wetted out.

Yeah and they are crap bikes too, except for styling around Portland. Heavy and flexy.

Bamboo is a nice material for some things but not racy things.

Wrong shape for a boat material in its basic form, or in any simply processed variant such as split into strips.

It can be made into proper strip planking but it's heavy, on the order teak. I've got some panels of it and it's beatiful, stiff and really, really heavy.

bamboo?

if not, has anyone made a bamboo and carbon boat? I know they're making bikes out of bamboo and carbon lashings wetted out.

Yeah and they are crap bikes too, except for styling around Portland. Heavy and flexy.

Wrong shape for a boat material in its basic form, or in any simply processed variant such as split into strips.

It can be made into proper strip planking but it's heavy, on the order teak. I've got some panels of it and it's beatiful, stiff and really, really heavy.

Make nice looking flooring...

I was in Calfee's shop a while back. I know they're not racy but the bamboo bikes look kinda cool.

Name it "Firewood" !

:P

Now the gaps between the plank have to be filled with charged epoxy, then laminated with glass (a light lamination).

Maybe the beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but I think it has a nice high ass, look at the drawings and remember the perspective in the pics

I don't see it as a good way to go. You're relying on the charged epoxy squished between the planks for rigidity. It seems to me to be a poor type of sandwich construction. You will not have a sandwich where the ribs attach to the planks. Cold moulding would make a far better one off hull, though I have never done it myself. Heck, this thing would be a good form for cold moulding.

I don't see it as a good way to go. You're relying on the charged epoxy squished between the planks for rigidity. It seems to me to be a poor type of sandwich construction. You will not have a sandwich where the ribs attach to the planks. Cold moulding would make a far better one off hull, though I have never done it myself. Heck, this thing would be a good form for cold moulding.

That's what we called cold molding back in the early days. Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique into thin lightweight cedar strips, sometimes with vacuum bagging. Of course technology is light years ahead now, but it's still a high quality, low tech method that produces relatively lightweight, strong and good results. With a modern glass outer skin, no problem...

bamboo?

I was in Calfee's shop a while back. I know they're not racy but the bamboo bikes look kinda cool.

Bamboo flooring has a reputation as being green, fast growing, renewable resource material for flooring and therefore very eco-friendly. Friends in the industry tell me that most of it is higly processed and loaded up with VOC's and other chemicals; hardly a GREEN solution...

Strip planking is much, much faster than cold moulding (you only build the boat once, rather than 4 (+) times - no plug in strip, just moulds. Probably the fastest way to produce a decent one-off hull? Especially if you're not building ultra-light. Gives a nice stiff result as well - story in Seahorse the other day about how John Corby had done a few tests on strip plank boats, and found them much stiffer than expected.

Strip planking is much, much faster than cold moulding. Probably the fastest way to produce a decent one-off hull? Especially if you're not building ultra-light. Gives a nice stiff result as well - story in Seahorse the other day about how John Corby had done a few tests on strip plank boats, and found them much stiffer than expected.

I've been out of the BN game for nearly 30 years, but this boat is what we called cold molding back then. Sailed on Flirt of Paget, sistership of Imp (Holland 40) that was cold molded back then; cedar strips and West System.

Please explain briefly what the term has morphed into as a means of yacht construction in the intervening years.

Thanks!

PS.. sorry to be such a geezer! ;-)

Well there you have it - spouting off without ANY background.

Strip planked cedar hulls have been been built for a long time - many southern hemisphere sportboats have been built this way with quite good outcomes. Resonably lightweight, stiff and strong in addition to quick and inexpensive.

Maybe you are better off sniffing some more funny stuff working on your old star than offer up advice to a guy, who has built a number of wooden boats..................just sayin'

Interesting look. Why not use sitka as the wood-instead of cedar - with epoxy saturation and glass/carbon skin. Fast, strong and just a tad heavier. Or brunzeel plywood stripped out?

Nice. I like the way the dog house hinges forwards to expose the benches (I presume). Looks like it is a very sociable design for fun racing & fast day sailing.

Asymmetric hot tub.

Best Post of the thread!!

Now newbie, you know the welcoming drlil, right??

bamboo?

some of the flooring is good... has to be heat-treated or it dents and scratches easily (dogs an issue).

But yeah, its good-looking stuff. The bamboo ply is gorgeous stuff, but $150 or more a sheet and too heavy for some uses.

Calfee does nice work. and many of the bamboo bikes out there do look pretty good, but again, it's for styling, like single-speeds. I'll stick with my carbon Merckx and Ridley.

Shaw 650 plug.

+ !

See post 19 snaggy; builder confirmed it's a Leggero 8 mt. by the designer Paolo Bua. Leggero is building in La rochelle (France).

Thax! I mised that, very sexsy!!

Strip planked cedar hulls have been been built for a long time - many southern hemisphere sportboats have been built this way with quite good outcomes. Resonably lightweight, stiff and strong in addition to quick and inexpensive.

Maybe you are better off sniffing some more funny stuff working on your old star than offer up advice to a guy, who has built a number of wooden boats..................just sayin'

Uh, practical experience is only part of having a "background". Putting me down for not actually having done this is just mean and petty, don't you think? Maybe you are better reading some kind of fucking books about this stuff before putting other people down for not having the practical experience. I have a fucking brain asshole.

Time travel back to some Canuck nutjob designer/builder who only built in wood. Forget his name, but the boat name was 'geek' or something like it. 26 feet long, exterior was wood except for a shark's mouth on the bow and a grinning smille around the stern. The boat splashed with a rudder in the bow with hydraulics to the tiller. Although I think geek had a fixed keel. Would love someone to post some old pics for comparison. Spike Boston would remember. And if anyone claims 'geek' was representative of a MORC design I'll kindly disagree. IOR blows, btw.

My french (?) is a bit rusty.

Any chance Truc you can confirm:

- displacement of the boat complete is 1300kg

- lead keel assembly is 450kg?

- therefore complete hull and rig etc excluding keel is 850kg?

That's not very heavy; when you look at all that timber trim adding weight all over the place.

As always....a very nice looking machine.

Sweet!!!

Very, very nice Truc.

This is a gorgeous blend of traditional and modern design.

You are an artist.

By the way, not so long ago, wood was quite the only material for boat building. Mostly plank on frame.

And then came the Goudgeon brothers who summarized different methods of using wood like strip planking used with Legero and the Shaws, cold molded like old Flying Dutchman, sewing plywood like the i550. Now the wood is used as a core between layers of glass and resin. The better of both world combined.

As a one off built, these methods are cost effective, relatively easy to work with and despite a slightly heavier final product than foam and glass, a very stiff and long lasting boat. If the water stays out of the laminate.

Shaw 650 plug.

+ !

Thax! I mised that, very sexsy!!

Thanks for the support though my friend!

Uh, practical experience is only part of having a "background". Putting me down for not actually having done this is just mean and petty, don't you think? Maybe you are better reading some kind of fucking books about this stuff before putting other people down for not having the practical experience. I have a fucking brain asshole.

I think you might have over extended yourself there mate. You were far more abusive in you post than Christian was to you.

AND for what it's worth, I agree with him. I have seen your posts from when you joined and I think your comments are a bit over your head.

Something that doesn't foil.

We like this one, and we know what it is, but the question of the day is, do you? We have a $50 gift card from our friends at West Marine for the first correct answer.

Maybe so - BUT - it seems to be stuck in PARK

"Leggero" is a wood-epoxy 8 meters light daysailer, which is meant to be elegant, easy to handle and fast too.

It has a powerful high aspect ratio square top main, non overlapping jib,code0 and gennaker on retracting bowsprit.

It will have an electric inbord, lifting roof, lifting keel and twin rudder to cope with the atlantic tide,

I did some strip planking in the past and I think it's a clever way to build, the results are very goood: nice looking, stiff and lightweight too.

The dry weight of the boat will be 1100 kg (yes Steve the keel is 450).

Lightweight has been searched in design stage, you can see how every surface is reduced to a minimum on deck, cockpit and roof.

I draw it, I'm not the builder. He is http://www.genoud-bateaux-bois.com/ who is a top class builder, with good reputation in France because of his sweet boats. Now He's changing his style towards newer and faster design, that will still feature the high quality standard of his older boats.

Got gelcoat repairs figured out yet?

Asymmetric hot tub.

Uh oh. I guess I'm about to find out. Does it involve a small animal and a bucket of grease?

Asymmetric hot tub.

Uh oh. I guess I'm about to find out. Does it involve a small animal and a bucket of grease?

No, you have to post a pic of your wifes or girlfriends tits and then simply fuck off!:lol:

Welcome!

Asymmetric hot tub.

No, you have to post a pic of your wifes or girlfriends tits and then simply fuck off!:lol:

Welcome!

I'll work on that but my first suggestion might be easier! Thanks for the "Welcome Aboard".

It's almost ready to go

post-10179-036557900 1309263929_thumb.jpg

post-10179-010202500 1309263946_thumb.jpg

post-10179-070718900 1309263968_thumb.jpg