• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jarcher

Tacking lines

To work correctly, do tacking lines have to be put in the center of the boat? Or is that too minor an issue to make any difference?

I made a template for my tacking lines and put them on the deck with a Sharpie (the sunlight erases them after awhile and allows me to refine them). Then I draw a set on either side, on the deck, just forward of shrouds near the towrail for the use of the bowman. There's a second set forward and outboard of the primaries for the use of the trimmer and the driver. My template has a cross or not line, a layline and a tack and clear line. The design came from Conner's Sail like a Champion.

I made a template for my tacking lines and put them on the deck with a Sharpie (the sunlight erases them after awhile and allows me to refine them). Then I draw a set on either side, on the deck, just forward of shrouds near the towrail for the use of the bowman. There's a second set forward and outboard of the primaries for the use of the trimmer and the driver. My template has a cross or not line, a layline and a tack and clear line. The design came from Conner's Sail like a Champion.

Picture/diagram please?

-m

We use a much simpler one than above which takes some use to get used to but works well after you know your angles.

We use a 45 degree (ahead or behind line) Works extremely well for most crossing situations.

70, 80, and 90 degree lines. My boats tacks thru 74 degrees in anything above 6 knots TWS. If we tack at 80 degrees in that windspeed we usually nail the layline(the extra 6 degrees accounts for leeway).

In less wind, tacking angles can be 90 degrees or more. In more wind, tacking angles can be less than 74 degrees.

We have these lines drawn on the deck just forward(and outboard) of the primary winches for my trimmer to use.

We use a much simpler one than above which takes some use to get used to but works well after you know your angles.

We use a 45 degree (ahead or behind line) Works extremely well for most crossing situations.

70, 80, and 90 degree lines. My boats tacks thru 74 degrees in anything above 6 knots TWS. If we tack at 80 degrees in that windspeed we usually nail the layline(the extra 6 degrees accounts for leeway).

In less wind, tacking angles can be 90 degrees or more. In more wind, tacking angles can be less than 74 degrees.

We have these lines drawn on the deck just forward(and outboard) of the primary winches for my trimmer to use.

Your laylines were beautiful at the BBR this year, absolutely stunning :wub:

That Suderland one is waaaay too complicated. It looks like it is intended to take tidal effects into account

I sharpied lines at 90 45 and 135, and thinner lines at +/- 5 degrees on the 45 and 135. On the cockpit seats just forward of where the helm sits

We sail with a GPS and I like to write down the heading over the ground on each tack, this is useful in spotting headers, but if you have the weather mark in as a way point you can also watch the bearing to the next waypoint display and use this to help decide.

aa

Thanks everyone... So, if you imigian an extension of the lines, they don't need to pass through the middle of the boat (fore and aft)?

Thanks everyone... So, if you imigian an extension of the lines, they don't need to pass through the middle of the boat (fore and aft)?

No, not really, if I understand your question correctly.

Jarcher, as long as the baseline of the semi circle is parallel with the centreline of the boat, you're sweet.

I stopped using these years ago though, and now just use my hockey puck compass, is more accurate. But that would be a whole other discussion.

Nope because your down wind gybe angles will be different angles than your upwind lay lines/tacking angle..

Jarcher, as long as the baseline of the semi circle is parallel with the centreline of the boat, you're sweet.

I stopped using these years ago though, and now just use my hockey puck compass, is more accurate. But that would be a whole other discussion.

^^^

What he said...

Not sure I agree about the hockey puck though.... The problem I find with "the puck" is your baseline heading that you reference off. Having to take a heading bearing & then a mark bearing, & then figuring the difference, especially if working through the north quadrant of the compass, see it's taxing just trying to write/read about it.

The biggest advantage of having tacking lines on the side deck, & aft? It doesn't matter if your lifted knocking, pinching, 80 deg is always 80 degrees 150 is always 150, relative to the boat. Frees up the mind to think more about speed & tactics. My 2c

^^^

What he said...

Not sure I agree about the hockey puck though.... The problem I find with "the puck" is your baseline heading that you reference off. Having to take a heading bearing & then a mark bearing, & then figuring the difference, especially if working through the north quadrant of the compass, see it's taxing just trying to write/read about it.

The biggest advantage of having tacking lines on the side deck, & aft? It doesn't matter if your lifted knocking, pinching, 80 deg is always 80 degrees 150 is always 150, relative to the boat. Frees up the mind to think more about speed & tactics. My 2c

I have a bit of a head for crunching those kinda numbers quickly I guess.

^^^

What he said...

I have a bit of a head for crunching those kinda numbers quickly I guess. :D

Or maybe the boats slow enough that you have time to work it out :lol:

^^^

What he said...

I have a bit of a head for crunching those kinda numbers quickly I guess. :D

Or maybe the boats slow enough that you have time to work it out :lol:

Nice comeback, give you that one!

ROFLMAO.

I use a hockey puck if I'm hiking on the rail of a >30 footer, but if you are driving on a one-design keelboat, you can't exactly drop the tiller or mainsheet to put a handbearing compass to your eye.

Graham Sunderland produces "Winning laylines".

WL%20help%20document%20C.jpg

(No connection, just a satisfied customer of Winning Tides)

anybody have anything like this in USA?

not anyone who looks outside the boat from time to time

All too much for me. use time on the water and your judgement to build up a mental model of when to tack. surface currents fouls up anything that might be precise.

IMHO

I use a hockey puck if I'm hiking on the rail of a >30 footer, but if you are driving on a one-design keelboat, you can't exactly drop the tiller or mainsheet to put a handbearing compass to your eye.

nor can you come into the boat to look over sightlines. a quick glance over the shoulder is all you get.