Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swanno

Cairns - Enter the brace position

Details of Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi at 8:00 pm EST:

.Centre located near...... 17.2 degrees South 147.3 degrees East

.Location accuracy........ within 20 kilometres

.Recent movement.......... towards the west southwest at 26 kilometres per hour

.Wind gusts near centre... 285 kilometres per hour

.Severity category........ 5

.Central pressure......... 930 hectoPascals

eye is now 20 k across and has slowed

so tide will be 2 thirds out at midnight ?

bit of a plus ............

easterly wind shift will pile up some extra water on the coastline

Radar from Cairns at 8.30pm

post-23282-070339900 1296643032_thumb.jpg

Certainly appears to be taking a more westerly track again

EDIT. Also Aussie58 it's a low high which is a sight bonus

A mate who lives on Hamilton Island was thinking of going for a surf earlier...in the resort's pool.

He's already been passed by a rosella going backwards and going "faak, faak, faak!" Says he's about to disconnect the computer and lie low.

Hang in there guys.

A mate who lives on Hamilton Island was thinking of going for a surf earlier...in the resort's pool.

He's already been passed by a rosella going backwards and going "faak, faak, faak!" Says he's about to disconnect the computer and lie low.

Hang in there guys.

That funny, dont know what your mate on hamo is worried about, it gone past the Whitsundays, more likely he's had too much of the cyclone party and is ready for sleep

The wind is not dropping behind it so my guess would be it is slowing and going left

Good luck to all in FNQ (anarchists or otherwise). Thoughts with you guys over the next number of immenent hours....what more can we offer or say but good luck to all and thoughts are with you up there.

PP

Good luck to all in FNQ (anarchists or otherwise). Thoughts with you guys over the next number of immenent hours....what more can we offer or say but good luck to all and thoughts are with you up there.

PP

+ 1

Hang in there guys.

That funny, dont know what your mate on hamo is worried about, it gone past the Whitsundays, more likely he's had too much of the cyclone party and is ready for sleep

They've lived there for years now so they've been through cyclones before... don't know if he's worried but according to the BoM map they're on the edge of the zone.

Friends of the family got very close to being wiped out in Mourilyan Harbour when a cyclone hit years ago and smashed the boat and got dragged under the sugar wharf... no one's saying this is easy for anyone around the area.

Are you making your comments from Cardwell or Innisfail?

Hang in there guys.

They've lived there for years now so they've been through cyclones before... don't know if he's worried but according to the BoM map they're on the edge of the zone.

Friends of the family got very close to being wiped out in Mourilyan Harbour when a cyclone hit years ago and smashed the boat and got dragged under the sugar wharf... no one's saying this is easy for anyone around the area.

Are you making your comments from Cardwell or Innisfail?

My link been here for more than a couple of yearswink.gif

My thoughts are with the people further north. As PP mentioned. Had the effects of two cyclones in the last 4 days, dont want any more

Yeah, sorry JB, I'll tell the guys on Hamo to fuck off because they've only been there 15-20 years or so. Will that make you happy?

Serves me right for coming back to SA...

She's fanging though in Townsville right now...the access cover to my roof space got 'sucked up' a few minutes ago. Taped it back down, but wondering what negative pressure up there means? I guess the next few hours might tell me

She's fanging though in Townsville right now...the access cover to my roof space got 'sucked up' a few minutes ago. Taped it back down, but wondering what negative pressure up there means? I guess the next few hours might tell me

Dont worry about the man hole being sucked up you want the air pressure to be equal through out your house leave windows open.

Dont worry about the man hole being sucked up you want the air pressure to be equal through out your house leave windows open.

on the leeward side of course

Yeah Kedge. open your leeward windows to allow the pressure to equalise - otherwise the roof wants to blow off!

Pisses me off the people who think a storm surge (whith a "u") is like a flood - they don't realise there will be be powerful waves on top which will demolish the structures. Fuck!

This monster has not weakened one bit as it slams into the coast. Thoughts are with those in it's path.

There was never anything that indicated any disipation until after the eye crossed, and even then this system seems determined to set records as to how far inland it can remain a cyclone. A cyclone at Mt Isa FFS - Camooweal.... That will be be new experience for the locals ....

Not a praying man, but thoughts and hopes are with those in theaffected areas.

The wind is not dropping behind it so my guess would be it is slowing and going left

Damm, Looking at the radar I think you're right

Reports of waves up to 18m at the Townsville wave rider buoy!

Look at this

towng10_wave.png

Before you go "Holy fucking shit!!!" the Premier, Anna Bligh, is conducting a media briefing as I type and has repudiated this report.

The powers that be have determined that waves are breaking over the waverider buoy and caused it to turtle, hence the erroneous reading.

What a story that'd it be if it was true the waves were 18m at that buoy

Damm, Looking at the radar I think you're right

Hard to know the real effect of Hinchinbrook given it is so high but anything in the embayment there will be a long way under water

Look at this

towng10_wave.png

Before you go "Holy fucking shit!!!" the Premier, Anna Bligh, is conducting a media briefing as I type and has repudiated this report.

The powers that be have determined that waves are breaking over the waverider buoy and caused it to turtle, hence the erroneous reading.

I don't know, Cape Sorrell wave bouy usually washes away at about 23m

maybe the rainfall at willis was less than actual before their stuff went down

how can you accurately measure horizontal rain in a rain gauge when it is going past at 180 kmh ???

P. S.

Kedge

is your roof iron or tiles ?

tiles breathe and corro breathes near the guttering

Is this good? Slowing may mean the surge doesn't coincide with high tide ( and from Tracy experience I can say that's a very good thing!) but going left is worse for Cardwell - if it can be any worse. My late mum lived in Cardwell for a few years - I'd be shiting myself if she was still there ...

Better for most but a lot worse for a few (like the 6 people still sitting on the 2nd floor of a house at [Port Hinchinbrook requesting assitance)

Hey anyone know why the the weather stations are running 1.5hrs behind? Anyone got upto date stat's?

WB

I have been waiting to say this all day

"You are an idiot"

Think about it!

Hey anyone know why the the weather stations are running 1.5hrs behind? Anyone got upto date stat's?

WB

QLD is not on Daylight saving time.

Eye about to smack Dunk Island then Tully. Dunk wiped out by TC Larry a few years ago.

WB

I have been waiting to say this all day

"You are an idiot"

Think about it!

yep hit the send button and the little light went off in my head.......so then just 30mins off the pace.....

Yep, depends on how fast they get posted on the BOM site, some are faster than others

Yep, depends on how fast they get posted on the BOM site, some are faster than others

know anyone on Dunk Is? looks like they are going to be the deer in the headlights !

Looks like Bingil Bay, Mission beach and Dunk Island have drawn the short straw. I was reading online today that there about 40 people holed up in the carpark of an apartment block in Mission Beach, it is apparently well above any expected storm surge level but still not a good position to be in.

I have used up my useful internet time for the month and am onto dialup speeds so no cool graphics just text.

Got Ch 7 on the telly at the moment....fack.

C'mon guys.

If anyone in the line of fire is still on line -

plumbing (copper pies) usually keeps a bathroom intact.

Matresses are a last resort to stop things hitting you when the roof and walls around you have disappeared - but it can be hard to hold on to the matress in 200 mph winds! Don't put your faith in a matress unless it's last resort stuff!

Remember, most people were killed in Tracy when trying to move from a destroyed place to a another safe place - even if you are wet, stay put if it's reasonably safe.

Last safe haven? a car is a strong cage. No good, of course. if it blows into a swimming pool (like Tracy) but chances of that are low. Even if it rolls down the road like a bowling ball, you're pretty safe inside (belt on please).

Just minimise movement outside during the hurricane force winds and you improve the survival chances of yourself and your loved ones.

Please just stay safe.

If you need it, we' ll put you, or yor kids, or whoever, up for the period necessary afterwards - just try not to lose any lives to this storm.

Emotionally yours

R

Live on Ch 7 - Woman at Port Hinchinbrook sheltering on the second floor. Sea within 1 metre of the ceiling of ground floor. They never got warning to evacuate. They did not ask for help as has been reported. Sounded calm.

Auscat. Where are you?

C'mon guys.

If anyone in the line of fire is still on line -

plumbing (copper pies) usually keeps a bathroom intact.

Matresses are a last resort to stop things hitting you when the roof and walls around you have disappeared - but it can be hard to hold on to the matress in 200 mph winds! Don't put your faith in a matress unless it's last resort stuff!

Remember, most people were killed in Tracy when trying to move from a destroyed place to a another safe place - even if you are wet, stay put if it's reasonably safe.

Last safe haven? a car is a strong cage. No good, of course. if it blows into a swimming pool (like Tracy) but chances of that are low. Even if it rolls down the road like a bowling ball, you're pretty safe inside (belt on please).

Just minimise movement outside during the hurricane force winds and you improve the survival chances of yourself and your loved ones.

Please just stay safe.

If you need it, we' ll put you, or yor kids, or whoever, up for the period necessary afterwards - just try not to lose any lives to this storm.

Emotionally yours

R

Well said R.

Thoughts with everyone over there.

Live on Ch 7 - Woman at Port Hinchinbrook sheltering on the second floor. Sea within 1 metre of the ceiling of ground floor. They never got warning to evacuate. They did not ask for help as has been reported. Sounded calm.

wow - it is actually live.

I am waiting the reporter to get taken out by a bit of tin

Dunk Is about have the eye to pass over

post-23282-095049000 1296654179_thumb.jpg

Watching 7 as well and they are reporting from Mackay saying it getting worse and its not even in the warning zone anymore, they really need to get there shit together

id love to get some weather observations from dunk right about now

100 knots at Lucinda.

where are you getting that from ?

Try this

I think its broken the direction finder

Crossing the coast at Mission Beach at 1200 on the dot.

I am waiting the reporter to get taken out by a bit of tin

I know it was said in jest, but even after so many years, that really hurts. sorrry, i"m sure you did n't mean that, but ... it's just that, as I'm sure you are aware, it was the cause of death of of a lot of Tracy victims...........sliced by flying sheets of "tin" tcorrugated roofing iron)

This enormous storm system closing in on the east coast just brings back too many memories.

\

Where's the *sobbing* emoticion?

Auscat. Where are you?

We stayed mate.By the time we packed yesterday were too nackered to leave.Had a kip kept an eye on things and decided to stay.

Sort of unpacked this morning,all day had showers but nothing serious.

Breeze has had enough east in it to go over the top of us and as it goes north will have even less.

I just find it amazing that regardless of all of the warnings, there are still reporters standing out on the side of the road.

Yeah it was said in jest and I really hope the best for everyone over there.

I've had a day of windy condition with gust up to 100 kph

I cant imagine winds at close to 300ks. there wont be a leaf left on a tree or trees still upright for that matter. Houses will be destroyed etc. I do hope there has been no loss of life. And they are only half way through it... Fark poor bugger

I guess when the sun rises tomorrow we'll know the extent of the damage.

Good night all...

rough google earth plot of last BOM notice is about 8 nm ene dunk (245???)

and eye is ~ 10 nm across

Thanks Podrick

Of course the crossing of the beginning of the eye isn't determinative but let's hope this system doesn't have any nasty tricks - its big enough as ir is.

Move inshore and dissipate you bastard!

Yasi crossed the coast near Mission Beach about an hour ago moving WSW. Good luck to FNQ and looking forward to hearing firsthand reports around dawn for you. Keep safe.

160kt winds being reported from Innisfail.....storm surge not too bad so far....the roof is coming off the Pub in Tully

nothing heard from Cardwell yet

Why am I not suprised all the web cams are down....

The feel good story. Baby girl born this morning in evacuation centre. British midwife on holiday took charge. Kids name WILL NOT be Yasi says mum.

No reports of injury or death.

Dunk Is, Mission Beach. & Tully took the brunt.

Still cat 3 & approaching Mt Isa well inland.

Many interviews via phone so communications still working.

Still early morning on the coast.

The feel good story. Baby girl born this morning in evacuation centre. British midwife on holiday took charge. Kids name WILL NOT be Yasi says mum.

No reports of injury or death.

Dunk Is, Mission Beach. & Tully took the brunt.

Still cat 3 & approaching Mt Isa well inland.

Many interviews via phone so communications still working.

Still early morning on the coast.

While it would be a miracle if this storm was without fatalities I feel like it's too early to tell. That said, I hope the death toll remains at 0

Sounds like Tully has been destroyed. A town of 2500 people, not to mention all who live on surrounding farms etc.. Highway is cut between Cairns & Tully so no TV camera crews thru. Emergency services getting thru.

Report on Channel 7 was something like 'yachts worth millions of dollars have been destroyed in Port Hinchinbrook? Marina. They have a shot of a yacht that sank in the Cairns inlet but no other reports apart from the one line comment made by Kochie

Surf is up in Airlie, and waves are going over sailing club breakwater

post-23282-008989400 1296693151_thumb.jpg post-23282-053262400 1296693051_thumb.jpg

Report on Channel 7 was something like 'yachts worth millions of dollars have been destroyed in Port Hinchinbrook? Marina. They have a shot of a yacht that sank in the Cairns inlet but no other reports apart from the one line comment made by Kochie

Its unlike Channel 7 to make up news.....

A mate is on his way to Townsville to get on his tug and head to Port Hinchenbrook as the marina docks have floated of and at least 40 boats need to be salvaged.

Its unlike Channel 7 to make up news.....

They normally borrow it from other stations.

Look at this

towng10_wave.png

Guys the 18m reading is not correct the bouy most probably was turned upside down.

The area of the bay that this bouy was in is only about 12-14m deep at a normal tide plus the meter or so of surge, as there are 9.5m waves out there you can guess whats happening in the bay at that time of that false reading

anyone see the footage from the huge bulk carrier pushing into it yesterday behind the eye? they looked to be sitting fairly deep in the water with waves coming over the bow in close to whiteout conditions. Can't find the vid yet...was on Ch 7

ugerlee seastate worth a look. waves were more rectangle than square

Look at this

towng10_wave.png

Guys the 18m reading is not correct the bouy most probably was turned upside down.

The area of the bay that this bouy was in is only about 12-14m deep at a normal tide plus the meter or so of surge, as there are 9.5m waves out there you can guess whats happening in the bay at that time of that false reading

Would you like to reread my post? I said the the Premier repudiated the report and then explained why.

anyone see the footage from the huge bulk carrier pushing into it yesterday behind the eye? they looked to be sitting fairly deep in the water with waves coming over the bow in close to whiteout conditions. Can't find the vid yet...was on Ch 7

ugerlee seastate worth a look. waves were more rectangle than square

Yeah i saw that. Didnt look like he was going too fast either.

Bloke sounded pretty chilled out, especially when he said "Yeah we see this sort of stuff a fair bit"

Dang! I feel bad for all of you folks Mother Nature is just not letting up. Say whats with all the people bare foot in those picts? I've seen a bunch of people barefoot even during the floods stuff. No way in hell would I be out walking around bare foot after the beating given to your area.

Posted Today, 12:50 PM

There go the insurance rates

only one company does insurance north of about bundaberg or gladstone

suncorp

any others are just taking your money .........................

and suncorp is appropriately re - insured for this stuff

this is not an ad

TV video of Port Hinchinbrook (Cardwell) is awesome. The marina is gone. Boats & marina pontoons piled up amongst houses on one side of the harbour.

Posted Today, 12:50 PM

There go the insurance rates

only one company does insurance north of about bundaberg or gladstone

suncorp

any others are just taking your money .........................

and suncorp is appropriately re - insured for this stuff

this is not an ad

suncorp are a pack of mongrels.It took months after Ului to get a settlement out of them.They grind you down and prolong the agony untill you cave in and take whatever you can get.

Plenty of people round here got the same crap from suncorp.

We have since changed our insurer and closed our banking with these pricks.