• Announcements

• Zapata

Abbreviated rules   07/28/2017

Underdawg did an excellent job of explaining the rules.  Here's the simplified version: Don't insinuate Pedo.  Warning and or timeout for a first offense.  PermaFlick for any subsequent offenses Don't out members.  See above for penalties.  Caveat:  if you have ever used your own real name or personal information here on the forums since, like, ever - it doesn't count and you are fair game. If you see spam posts, report it to the mods.  We do not hang out in every thread 24/7 If you see any of the above, report it to the mods by hitting the Report button in the offending post.   We do not take action for foul language, off-subject content, or abusive behavior unless it escalates to persistent stalking.  There may be times that we might warn someone or flick someone for something particularly egregious.  There is no standard, we will know it when we see it.  If you continually report things that do not fall into rules #1 or 2 above, you may very well get a timeout yourself for annoying the Mods with repeated whining.  Use your best judgement. Warnings, timeouts, suspensions and flicks are arbitrary and capricious.  Deal with it.  Welcome to anarchy.   If you are a newbie, there are unwritten rules to adhere to.  They will be explained to you soon enough.  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrgnstrn

need help unlocking the Garmin *.adm file

11 posts in this topic

So here's the situation, I have a Garmin 440 chartplotter (fixed mount, not protable), which has an SD card port.

I have sucessfully used this port and an SD card to update the software (it works well!).

I have also downloaded all the routes, waypoints, and tracks to that SD card. Those files now life on my computer at home.

But here's the rub.....how do you open a "____.adm" file?

None of the free Garmin software knew what to do with it.

All searches on google (and on SA) led me to one of 2 dead ends:

1. physically plug the computer into the gps unit to get the data in .gpx file format (non-starter).

2. nobody knows what to do with the *.adm file.

So...do you guys have any leads?

I got this file on my desktop and can't unlock it's secrets!!!! MADDENING!!!!!

Bonus points for free software. and since I have access to Mac and Windows, that's not a constraint.

help?

-M

I don't get it. What is the .adm file? I thought these devices saved, exported and imported files as .gpx files?

The chartplotters use userdata.adm GPS Utility that Tenacity posted is the only thing I know of that can read them. Garmin Trip and Waypoint manager is also supposed to do it, but I've never seen it work.

I don't get it. What is the .adm file? I thought these devices saved, exported and imported files as .gpx files?

Garmin homeport is the new version of waypoint manager, I have the garmin 540 and use it to convert the data in the user.adm file to gpx or whatever. It's worth the $30 or so you pay for it. I couldn't find any free software to do it when I was looking. You can plan routes on your pc using this too, but it really doesn't take advantage of the big screen on your pc like it should (still looks like a 240x320 display to me).

panbo review

-Mike

While we are at it I have all of the map files from around the world, bfd if never leave the sight of land . These files have .kap and .bsb extension. I think they are from a CMap program. Who knows how I can view these and no I do not plan to buy Cmap program. I will admit I have not researched this and have another chart program. Thanks

While we are at it I have all of the map files from around the world, bfd if never leave the sight of land . These files have .kap and .bsb extension. I think they are from a CMap program. Who knows how I can view these and no I do not plan to buy Cmap program. I will admit I have not researched this and have another chart program. Thanks

You can buy a plug-in for PhotoShop that will import them.

BSBImport

I've used it very successfully to generate "racing area" diagrams for sailing instructions.

SeaClear II will read them and is a pretty functional chart plotter when connected to a GPS source. http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

It's free and there is a pretty large user base in a Yahoo group.

Cheers,

MikeR

Call Garmin. They have incredible customer service and have for years (I've had Garmin products since 1998). From their website...

North America - Consumer Products

Monday - Thursday: 8 AM - 6 PM, Friday 8 AM - 5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

US: 913-397-8200

US Toll Free: 1-800-800-1020

Canada: 1-866-429-9296

Hi. You can use GPS Babel (it's free) to communicate with the GPS through the serial port and convert the data to .gdb. No need to buy any software. Good luck!