Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colomba

Energy Team

OT but still on French sailing, I keep monitoring sites but not a single word on ET: in the recently completed Figaro transat, the winner was given a 35' penalty and consequently dropped to fifth, it was that close!. The reason being he had embarked, in addition to the allotted 100 liters of potable water, also a vacuum flask - and this was noted by the scrutineer before the start, but he wasn't told!

^ Wow

I noticed somewhere that both LP and GD will be sailing the Nespresso Cup soon, think it's a Wally affair?

edit this event, in Portofino

More on "le Telegramme" (as usual)

Heading for the Cup linky

«Bruno has been doing wonders while I was at sea and I must say that I have been very impressed by my brother in these last six months. He did an incredible job. Now, The Cup, it's a tough job. In France more than anywhere else, with a difficult economic situation. The clock ticks and all lights are not green. Only one month left. But, if there is a team in France which may and must succeed that's us, no doubt! There is no other team ..... just names, and names have never been enough to build a team. The good news are that on the sport side, technical side, design side and even financial side, we'll be able to announce very promising things within a few days. I cannot imagine that I shall not be in the next Cup».

:unsure:

He seems to feel strongly that the number of french teams is down from three to one OR is he full of shit ?

Christophe Launay ( www.sealaunay.com ) shoots Les Freres Peyron getting their fast cat training in as they wait for the big checks to come in for Energy Team.

AClassPeyron012.jpg

AClassPeyron018.jpg

AClassPeyron022.jpg

AClassPeyron032.jpg

AClassPeyron040.jpg

AClassPeyron041.jpg

AClassPeyron051.jpg

AClassPeyron054.jpg

AClassPeyron059.jpg

AClassPeyron062.jpg

AClassPeyron064.jpg

AClassPeyron070.jpg

AClassPeyron076.jpg

AClassPeyron087.jpg

AClassPeyron094.jpg

AClassPeyron098.jpg

AClassPeyron103.jpg

AClassPeyron107.jpg

AClassPeyron108.jpg

AClassPeyron110.jpg

AClassPeyron117.jpg

AClassPeyron120.jpg

AClassPeyron124.jpg

Christophe Launay ( www.sealaunay.com ) shoots Les Freres Peyron getting their fast cat training in as they wait for the big checks to come in for Energy Team.

Nice, where is cutie Shirley Robertson ?

«Bruno has been doing wonders while I was at sea and I must say that I have been very impressed by my brother in these last six months. He did an incredible job. Now, The Cup, it's a tough job. In France more than anywhere else, with a difficult economic situation. The clock ticks and all lights are not green. Only one month left. But, if there is a team in France which may and must succeed that's us, no doubt! There is no other team ..... just names, and names have never been enough to build a team. The good news are that on the sport side, technical side, design side and even financial side, we'll be able to announce very promising things within a few days. I cannot imagine that I shall not be in the next Cup».

He seems to feel strongly that the number of french teams is down from three to one OR is he full of shit ?

Just sending subliminal (hardly) messages to those who have some cash to spend, I would think.

Business as usual.

Just sending subliminal (hardly) messages to those who have some cash to spend, I would think.

Business as usual.

I'm rooting for Peyron freres to put together their funding. If they do, they will fall into that exclusive company of AC teams whose top management are also world class sailors who actually compete - Blake, Coutts, Dalton to name some obvious choices.

Belle bande de guignols sur leur classe A

What a pair of jerks. Insulting other teams doest not give you the lead nor any advance of any kind.

Belle bande de guignols sur leur classe A

What a pair of jerks. Insulting other teams doest not give you the lead nor any advance of any kind.

Hey, at least they are talking. SOME news out of France, right now, is better than none.

Hey, at least they are talking. SOME news out of France, right now, is better than none.

It was one month ago and nothing happened.

I can tell you that I feel less and less confident for the french teams. For the AC money is key but time is also of the essence. When you see on one hand team that are now at full speed (TNZ Artemis OR) not only on the water but also on the design part and on the other hand Peyrons playing with A cat in la baule... i am affraid it will not be enough...

Yes French have a strong experience in multihulls but in few weeks teams have filled in the gap and when you see Dean Barker at the A class mondial or with the X40 just forget the 30years of experince of french sailors...

Unless they can buy the VPLP design but i do not feel very confident now. I do not want an other muppet show french team with a single slow boat and a team that have no unity.

I can tell you that I feel less and less confident for the french teams. For the AC money is key but time is also of the essence. When you see on one hand team that are now at full speed (TNZ Artemis OR) not only on the water but also on the design part and on the other hand Peyrons playing with A cat in la baule... i am affraid it will not be enough...

Yes French have a strong experience in multihulls but in few weeks teams have filled in the gap and when you see Dean Barker at the A class mondial or with the X40 just forget the 30years of experince of french sailors...

Unless they can buy the VPLP design but i do not feel very confident now. I do not want an other muppet show french team with a single slow boat and a team that have no unity.

Agree that you have some valid points here.

Three potential teams, one apparently stronger than the other two, but no significant developments of recent.

Their most outspoken fan, TC has popped off at length about every other issue but has neglected to support his home country which he has claimed will win the cup, and in fact has been conspicuously quiet - I guess he doesn't believe his own words or is afraid of the very criticism he puts forth.

Sounds like a chicken shit with no balls to me, but we already knew that.

News story from yesterday in Course Aularge (http://www.courseaul...e-le-debat.html):

Google Translation

In an interview published this morning by the sports daily L'Equipe, Bruno Peyron gave an update on the progress of the Energy Team challenge that marriage with her ​​brother Loïck for the conquest of the 34th America's Cup. Elder brothers Peyron requires extra time to the organizers of the America's Cup and raises several questions, including the compulsory nature of participation in the circuit AC45.

Bruno Peyron: "Since the announcement of the project in February, we have advanced on all compartments: technology, design, sports management, marketing, ... and we are very close to get there ... but to finalize our financial agreement, we are short of time. I also fear that the circuit AC45 as announced discourage partners .. I do not want to participate regardless of the lack of training that can by creating another. We will also compensate. Energy Team has clearly posed several questions to the organizers: the obligation to participate in the circuit AC45; penalty for late registration, organizational arrangements with the arrival of AC72, ... and waits for answers before committing. Bruno Peyron: "The Cultural Revolution and technical commitment is a very good thing, but in its process of organization, you must know to protect the public interest and that of applications that I call" commercial "...".

The team also revealed that the challenge Aleph, led by Bertrand Pacé and Alain Gautier is about to stop and that the Franco-German All4One worn by Stephane Kandler and Olivier de Kersauson await the definitive answer to a potential partner Next week.

Very interesting, considering Peyron initially claimed the year-round nature of the this AC cycle was a prime reason why it is now financially feasible, and why he was entering. I am assuming what Peyron would prefer would be simply doing away with the AC45 and running the ACWS with the AC72s? I don't know, sounds to me more the case that they are just struggling nailing down that last bit of funding. Either way, reading that, it sounds as though ET may very well have been the prime mover for the recent changes to protocol. Now, you can argue that the organizers are being wishy-washy, or whatever, or you could argue they are being sensitive and responsive to the challengers as they try and bring the America's Cup along in a revolutionary way that will result in the best Cup possible. I already know which posters feel which way to that.

Could one of you French folk read the article, and see if the Google translation presented the story reasonably well.

Also, no shock, but sounds as though Aleph is out, but A4O could actually be reasonably close. So, maybe ET is not next in line for one of the next AC45s.

Clear enough. "We will also compensate" > "We'll manage to compensate (lack of training) elsewhere". "Public interest" > "General interest"

Clear enough. "We will also compensate" > "We'll manage to compensate (lack of training) elsewhere". "Public interest" > "General interest"

Any news of them picking up an X40 or D35? My guess is that will be the case. That, and some smaller winged cats, my guess. Next protocol change may be changing the restriction on 10m boats for training?

I still think, when push comes to shove, any team wanting to be competitive will want an AC45. It is too valuable of a training platform, not just for sailing, but for the logistics. He certainly was not complaining about it (the AC45) when they entered. They were happy to brag about plans for two AC45s on their web-page. So I think he is trying to buy time. Can't blame him. Economic conditions are tough. They are trying to get there.

Very good find GG.

Yes Bruno Peyron does not want to participate to the AC45 series to gain time. He says they don't mind the loss of practice, they will catch up. Aleph should announce that they don't go further and OdK is waiting an answer from a sponsor next week

That confirms the hypothesis that I posted in the thread "The new protocol". The amendment 7 addresses exactly that.

Any news of them picking up an X40 or D35? My guess is that will be the case. That, and some smaller winged cats, my guess. Next protocol change may be changing the restriction on 10m boats for training?

I still think, when push comes to shove, any team wanting to be competitive will want an AC45. It is too valuable of a training platform, not just for sailing, but for the logistics. He certainly was not complaining about it (the AC45) when they entered. They were happy to brag about plans for two AC45s on their web-page. So I think he is trying to buy time. Can't blame him. Economic conditions are tough. They are trying to get there.

My guess is that he's not complaining about the idea of the AC 45 and the AC 45 circuit. He, like others, is complaining because the AC 45 circuit has not alot to offer to a sponsor as of now. Two of the venues are in countries without a team. There is no tv deal yet, anywhere. No one has an idea where the AC 45 events will be in '12, and per the protocol, those dates are not obligated to be announced until October of this year.

So, what is there to really offer for a sponsor of a team for the ACWS at this point in time? Nothing except an idea of what the ACWS will look like. Sponsors don't commit to ideas, at least very often.

I hope to hell Energy is able to pull it together in a big way. This event has so much potential, and it needs as many rock solid teams as possible.

My guess is that he's not complaining about the idea of the AC 45 and the AC 45 circuit. He, like others, is complaining because the AC 45 circuit has not alot to offer to a sponsor as of now. Two of the venues are in countries without a team. There is no tv deal yet, anywhere. No one has an idea where the AC 45 events will be in '12, and per the protocol, those dates are not obligated to be announced until October of this year.

So, what is there to really offer for a sponsor of a team for the ACWS at this point in time? Nothing except an idea of what the ACWS will look like. Sponsors don't commit to ideas, at least very often.

I hope to hell Energy is able to pull it together in a big way. This event has so much potential, and it needs as many rock solid teams as possible.

^ Big Dittos with everything you said.

I believe this is certainly a chicken/egg situation. Hard to get sponsors for the AC45 without the AC45/ACWS already being on solid footing. Hard to get the AC45/ACWS on solid footing without the teams supported by sponsors. The hope, all along, was that sponsors would buy into the full AC program, a three-year plan, where the AC45 circuit would be the stepping stone to the AC72 circuit, that it would get immediate traction. It had the good potential, with immediate involvement from at least four teams. I strongly believe, had they gotten two more teams to jump in with funding by April, with their AC45s on the way, then the 2011 circuit would have been on sound enough footing to get more teams to get their shit together by June. Right now, it looks like we may start with 4-5 teams (I still think Korea will be there) for the first two events. If the first event is exciting, as I think it will be, teams like Energy, A4O, even the Italians, etc., could have enough to show to get sponsors to buy into their projects. I would not be at all surprised if we have 7 boats racing in Cascais and Plymouth, and 8-10 boats racing in San Diego.

Difficult to know the exact reasons why they don't want the AC45 :

"J'ai peur par ailleurs que le circuit AC45 tel qu'il est annoncé ne décourage des partenaires"

" I am afraid that, as announced, the AC45 circuit may discourage our partners"

It could be the program itself or the presentation of the program or both.

"J'ai peur par ailleurs que le circuit AC45 tel qu'il est annoncé ne décourage des partenaires"

Like I said, they were sure happy to brag about their plans for two AC45s when they announced (from their web-page):

19 multihulls training

To train and then to race, Energy Team will have at its disposal an impressive fleet of multihulls of all sizes, with nineteen in all available to them: four Class A boats, four F18s, a D35, an X40, a G-Class (the former Orange II), two AC45s and two AC72s... plus four "F25s", which are a 1/3 scale model of the AC72s, which will be used for the America's Cup. The Energy Team base, the nerve centre of the project, will be set up on the Atlantic coast of France. It will include three centres: one in Vannes, the Multiplast yard, which will be the construction and technological development base; one in Lorient, which will be dedicated to the AC72 and G-Class catamarans; and finally one in La Baule, which will both be the main training centre for the squad and the operations centre for all the work with partners and the media.

I just see this as a situation where they have encountered more challenging economic issues than they had hoped for, and need time and flexibility. I think there is no way anyone could claim that Peyron would not want an AC45 if they had the money to buy it/use is.

By the way, anyone have an idea what a d35 costs? From what I understand, it is considerably less costly to buy/run than an x40.

Like I said, they were sure happy to brag about their plans for two AC45s when they announced (from their web-page):

19 multihulls training

To train and then to race, Energy Team will have at its disposal an impressive fleet of multihulls of all sizes, with nineteen in all available to them: four Class A boats, four F18s, a D35, an X40, a G-Class (the former Orange II), two AC45s and two AC72s... plus four "F25s", which are a 1/3 scale model of the AC72s, which will be used for the America's Cup. The Energy Team base, the nerve centre of the project, will be set up on the Atlantic coast of France. It will include three centres: one in Vannes, the Multiplast yard, which will be the construction and technological development base; one in Lorient, which will be dedicated to the AC72 and G-Class catamarans; and finally one in La Baule, which will both be the main training centre for the squad and the operations centre for all the work with partners and the media.

I just see this as a situation where they have encountered more challenging economic issues than they had hoped for, and need time and flexibility. I think there is no way anyone could claim that Peyron would not want an AC45 if they had the money to buy it/use is.

By the way, anyone have an idea what a d35 costs? From what I understand, it is considerably less costly to buy/run than an x40.

I agree with you, if they had been able to buy in time the AC45 they would have. They must be too short to get their budget and maybe, have difficulty selling an event with only 3 events instead of 5.

I allways thought that the AC45 event was a loss of time and money and we get the confirmation with ET and soon with other teams too. However it is still a nice boat and I would prefer see them traing in AC45 than on A cats.

A D35 is 270 000 Euros.

19 multihulls training

I agree with you, if they had been able to buy in time the AC45 they would have. They must be too short to get their budget and maybe, have difficulty selling an event with only 3 events instead of 5.

I allways thought that the AC45 event was a loss of time and money and we get the confirmation with ET and soon with other teams too. However it is still a nice boat and I would prefer see them traing in AC45 than on A cats.

A D35 is 270 000 Euros.

So, about 1/3rd the cost of an AC45? And probably a more liquid asset once they are done with it.

A solution for the validity of the AC45, to me, is to try and integrate the AC45 into the long-term AC program (beyond just as a youth program). Use it for some/most of the ACWS program. Heck, try to overwhelm the x40 series, for all I care. I know it would not be in Coutts interest to do so, but have the AC45 take away business from the RC44 (I know, that won't happen). Like you said, it is an awesome boat, and I want to see it race a lot.

By the way, getting back to the Peyron story. It reads, in my mind, that Energy Team may very well be pretty well entrenched at this point, kinda like ETNZ was, say a couple months ago, with their AC72 program well underway, and the recent protocol changes could be what was necessary to solidify their permanent participation in AC34. That is good news. I think they can certainly mount a strong challenge without the AC45, given that they participate in the X40 and d35 circuits, and complete a pair of AC72s, like they plan to do. But, I still think they end up with an AC45 by San Diego.

With good PR most of the challengers seem to have great teams and will not need 45s or 72s. They will save plenty without boats or shore teams.

With good PR most of the challengers seem to have great teams and will not need 45s or 72s. They will save plenty without boats or shore teams.

:lol::lol::lol:

Coming back to the interview of Bruno Peyron, either it was made before amendment 7 either they did not read it, because they have no problem now.

Either they requested the change or another team did it.

Coming back to the interview of Bruno Peyron, either it was made before amendment 7 either they did not read it, because they have no problem now.

Either they requested the change or another team did it.

I agree. Seems, now, the teams have all the flexibility they could ask for, while keeping at least some degree of legitimacy with some performance requirements coming up over the next year. I believe a team like ET can be competitive in AC34 without doing the AC45 thing, but I don't know that many others could. Still a very big incentive with getting the boat to train on (much easier logistics, I'm guessing, than the AC72s), and to limit the eventual wear on the AC72s. I think, at this point, with 6 AC45s built, and I would bet there will be at least one more before Cascais, there will be enough boats to make it interesting and put on the show they want to do. Ideally, there will be at least three more, but this will work. The AC45 show will help all teams to get funding for their greater AC34 effort. Like I said, I really hope the keep the AC45 a part of the larger program, more than just as a youth platform.

Anyway, I just can't imagine ET not making it at this point. I REALLY hope A4O can make it too, as I believe dueling French challenges would really add to the drama over the next few years.

^

Guys, you are wrong.

The competitors have to compete in the AC45 ACWS and AC72 ACWS to compete in CSS and AC Match. That part of the protocol Article 21 Requirement to Race has not changed.

All the protocol changes to Articles 9.1c and 9.1d has done is allowed competitors racing in the AC45 ACWS to decide in Dec whether they wish to continue on to the AC72 ACWS,CSS and AC Match. If they do not pay the $800,000 bond in december they can continue to the completion of the AC45 ACWS in June/July 2011, get their $200,000 bond back (assuming they have complied with the protocol) and say goodnight nurse.

^^ Correct - the rest will be in next month's Amendment (SH's prediction, too)

Energy Team has clearly posed several questions to the organizers: the obligation to participate in the circuit AC45; penalty for late registration, organizational arrangements with the arrival of AC72, ... and waits for answers before committing.

Why is Bruno so concerned about the penalty for late registration? According to ACRM ET were entered and accepted well prior to the 31st March cutoff for entrys.

6. YACHT CLUB DE FRANCE, Company ESM (FRA) challenge received 28

January 2011 and accepted 3 February 2011.

The only possible reason would be if ET haven't fronted up with the $25,000 entry fee meaning GGYC/OR/ACRM have been playing fast and loose with the Protocol.

So long ET, it's been nice to know you.

Energy Team has clearly posed several questions to the organizers: the obligation to participate in the circuit AC45; penalty for late registration, organizational arrangements with the arrival of AC72, ... and waits for answers before committing.

Why is Bruno so concerned about the penalty for late registration? According to ACRM ET were entered and accepted well prior to the 31st March cutoff for entrys.

The only possible reason would be if ET haven't fronted up with the $25,000 entry fee meaning GGYC/OR/ACRM have been playing fast and loose with the Protocol.

Seems like it could still go either way. It reminds me of Sir KM's behavior before 'not participating' in AC34, criticising the organization and plans and saying how it was all 'impossible' while others just got on with it.

Seems like it could still go either way. It reminds me of Sir KM's behavior before 'not participating' in AC34, criticising the organization and plans and saying how it was all 'impossible' while others just got on with it.

It does look like so much posturing, so we'll have to wait see what happens. It seemed significant that LP's name was flashed in the promotional vid. Those A cat pics make me sick. Do people really want to look at a man's foot?

^

Guys, you are wrong.

The competitors have to compete in the AC45 ACWS and AC72 ACWS to compete in CSS and AC Match. That part of the protocol Article 21 Requirement to Race has not changed.

All the protocol changes to Articles 9.1c and 9.1d has done is allowed competitors racing in the AC45 ACWS to decide in Dec whether they wish to continue on to the AC72 ACWS,CSS and AC Match. If they do not pay the $800,000 bond in december they can continue to the completion of the AC45 ACWS in June/July 2011, get their $200,000 bond back (assuming they have complied with the protocol) and say goodnight nurse.

Wrong, please read answer in "The new protocol"

Not sure at all.

We don't know if he was speaking regarding the 25000 $ or the 200 000 $. I do not think that ACEA would have accepted an entry without the 25 000 $.

And no, they are not gone with the new amendment, which also give another year of life to the CoR

Wonder if they paid the $25,000, and missing the $200K bond on the 30th threw their entry into some kind of default status.This may be what is before the IJ.

Wonder if they paid the $25,000, and missing the $200K bond on the 30th threw their entry into some kind of default status. This may be what is before the IJ.

DRTB2, can you help answer? Isn't this subject a specialty of yours?

Wonder if they paid the $25,000, and missing the $200K bond on the 30th threw their entry into some kind of default status.This may be what is before the IJ.

^^^^

Care explain ?

And Dalts seems to think the Peyrons are in.

And will be a formidable opponent.

^ In fact they would be adding great credibility and legitimacy to the AC 34 concept, being that they have been at the tip of the iceberg in terms of world class multihull sailing. Without such an element, I doubt the AC 34 could ever be considered a complete success. There's a bridge that needs to be crossed between the multi and mono world of sailing, and it behooves the defender to cross it.

Wonder if they paid the $25,000, and missing the $200K bond on the 30th threw their entry into some kind of default status. This may be what is before the IJ.

DRTB2, can you help answer? Isn't this subject a specialty of yours?

I don't think that it is DRTB's role to explain SWS assertions.

Maybe he could explain what he means. :)

some kind of default status.

Where is DRTB2?

Where is DRTB2?

Off trying to figure out my post so he can explain it to TC - it's pretty complicated so it may take awhile.

Maybe TC can tell us where he is, he hasn't posted recently.

Where is DRTB2?

Off trying to figure out my post so he can explain it to TC - it's pretty complicated so it may take awhile.

Maybe TC can tell us where he is, he hasn't posted recently.

I guess he is having a good and sunny weekend. :)

edit: Try
if it is giving an error
BP: We are very close to being in a good position except that timing is very short. So we are trying to convince the organization to look at it a little bit, about the timing, so all the commercial teams can be on time. Otherwise probably they will be finishing with 4 teams only, so they have to think about it.

if it is giving an error

BP: We are very close to being in a good position except that timing is very short. So we are trying to convince the organization to look at it a little bit, about the timing, so all the commercial teams can be on time. Otherwise probably they will be finishing with 4 teams only, so they have to think about it.

Dude the timing is tight because you were off sailing in another series while everyone else was getting their shit together . You picked your priorities now deal with it . Who the hell does he think he is really , French ? LOL

First GD, now BP - unless

Larry & Wussell bite the bullet and switch to a 60'-65' boat !!

there will be just two challengers on 72s, will make for a great CSS.

[CT: even assuming they have the money, the only way they might manage to build one would be by piggybacking on another team (AR?). But why should they, when they can get all the exposure in the world - including 'supporting' races in SF - on 45s for a fraction of the cost?]

[CT: even assuming they have the money, the only way they might manage to build one would be by piggybacking on another team (AR?). But why should they, when they can get all the exposure in the world - including 'supporting' races in SF - on 45s for a fraction of the cost?]

First of all, its not going to happen. AC34 will be in AC72s.

Second, your opinions on China are unfounded. They have the funding, they have technological resources available to them. They have the stock plans to start with. They just need the right people to be making the right decisions.

Third, Bruno's comment was about timing, not the boat.

First of all, its not going to happen. AC34 will be in AC72s.

Second, your opinions on China are unfounded. They have the funding, they have technological resources available to them. They have the stock plans to start with. They just need the right people to be making the right decisions.

Third, Bruno's comment was about timing, not the boat.

AC72's it is, some teams have been into it since October, the stock design group included (see IM interview); no chance they will abandon it now, they could even get sued for doing so.

How would BP be privvy to CT's, or anyone else's, private syndicate details?

On timing, I saw another piece whose g-tran suggested BP also wants the AC moved to 2014. That is clearly not going to happen either.

He says, ironically, that he has been working this for 8 months already. Yes, with only 3 venues and dates announced so far, and announced only on March 30, it could be a hard sell to boardrooms. But that latest video released from the test sessions should go a long way to proving just how serious the organizers are about revolutionizing this game. The result is like nothing ever seen in sailing before. The amount of hardware, software and talent arrayed down there - even for just a rehearsal - will surely open some eyes wide. The results look excellent, even at this early stage. Hopefully they will meet that 'ten days from now' announcement IM referred to, for other (was it just 2011?) first-season venues and dates, maybe solidify/guarantee the number of events in 2012 too.

Must have been be some interesting conversations at the Nespresso Cup, with LP and GD and FdA racing on the same yacht, might have been fun to be privvy to it. Wouldn't be a surprise if LP is jealous that ETNZ nailed Nespresso, for one.

Fingers crossed, I really hope ET makes it but Bruno is clearly feeling pressed for time so I guess we'll see.

if it is giving an error

Dude the timing is tight because you were off sailing in another series while everyone else was getting their shit together . You picked your priorities now deal with it . Who the hell does he think he is really , French ? LOL

Loick, his brother, was sailing, not him (excepted for this race) who is in charge of finding the financement.

Where is DRTB2?

it's pretty complicated so it may take awhile.

No, pretty simple, no problem now with amendment 7.

if it is giving an error

Loick, his brother, was sailing, not him (excepted for this race) who is in charge of finding the financement.

So even with his brother working the money side full time he still has serious doubts about making the show ? With the Olympics in 04 they really are bumping up against a hard limit as far as stretching the timing any further .

if it is giving an error

So even with his brother working the money side full time he still has serious doubts about making the show ? With the Olympics in 04 they really are bumping up against a hard limit as far as stretching the timing any further .

As said previously, we must keep in mind that they are talking business here (" commercial challenges" in BP's own worlds), 2012 companies budgets (including sponsoring) are closed since November.

I believe that it is where the thing was tight.

If we try reading between the lines in a positive way, it might be that they have hopes of a significant budget in 2013 but are limited enough in 2012 to not be able to afford both the development of the AC72 and the running of an AC 45 campaign.

As said previously, we must keep in mind that they are talking business here (" commercial challenges" in BP's own worlds), 2012 companies budgets (including sponsoring) are closed since November.

If we try reading between the lines in a positive way, it might be that they have hopes of a significant budget in 2013 but are limited enough in 2012 to not be able to afford both the development of the AC72 and the running of an AC 45 campaign.

Obviously, well at least I would hope, Bruno is privy to much more info, and is much clearer on the rules than we are, but the strategy of his comments is not very clear to me. From what we can tell, it still seems they are going to need to race the AC45, and I don't know that there is much likelihood that those qualified to vote (that have posted their performance bond) are going to loosen that requirement. By making the comment, apparently, that they are not interested in racing the AC45, it seems they might make it harder for themselves to secure sponsorship that would also have to cover racing the AC45. Maybe I'm missing something.

I just think they will be racing in Cascais and Portugal, just possibly in a chartered boat, and that is the strategy in their recent comments, to secure a rent-a-boat.

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me, as I've not followed Energy Team France as closely as many in this discussion have.

My understanding is that everything is on schedule, there's no problem of any import for Energy Team France . . . I haven't yet found any news to the contrary that ET won't be ready next month for Cascais. There's nothing on Loïck Peyron's FB site on the AC either.

Here's what the Portuguese American Journal (April 18, 2011) says:

"The current list of vetted and accepted competitors [emphasis mine] is a geographically diverse field: Aleph Equipe De France (France), Artemis Racing (Sweden), China Team (China), Emirates Team New Zealand (New Zealand), Energy Team (France), Mascalzone Latino (Italy), Oracle Racing (USA), Team Australia (Australia), and five undisclosed teams" (http://portuguese-am...80%93-portugal/).

Of course we know that Italy's entry is now moot; the 34thAC site states there are four undisclosed teams still to be vetted (as of May 9, 2011).

P.S. French is my second language . . . I've seen nothing in the French sports/news papers. Denholm Barnetson, an AFP (Agence France Presse) correspondent has followed the AC since 2009, but lately his articles have been concerned with the Madrid earthquake. He's at: http://blogs.afp.com...thor/dbarnetson

My Portuguese is non-existent, but for those who do understand the language, here are some of the country's online sports dailies: A Bola ["]http://www.abola.pt/], Record ["]http://www.record.xl.pt/], O Jogo [."]http://www.record.xl.pt/].

That's about all I could find today, she says, inveigling her way into this discussion in the best way she knows. B)

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me, as I've not followed Energy Team France as closely as many in this discussion have.

My understanding is that everything is on schedule, there's no problem of any import for Energy Team France . . . I haven't yet found any news to the contrary that ET won't be ready next month for Cascais. There's nothing on Loïck Peyron's FB site on the AC either.

"The current list of vetted and accepted competitors [emphasis mine] is a geographically diverse field: Aleph Equipe De France (France), Artemis Racing (Sweden), China Team (China), Emirates Team New Zealand (New Zealand), Energy Team (France), Mascalzone Latino (Italy), Oracle Racing (USA), Team Australia (Australia), and five undisclosed teams" (http://portuguese-am...80%93-portugal/).

Of course we know that Italy's entry is now moot; the 34thAC site states there are four undisclosed teams still to be vetted (as of May 9, 2011).

P.S. French is my second language . . . I've seen nothing in the French sports/news papers. Denholm Barnetson, an AFP (Agence France Presse) correspondent has followed the AC since 2009, but lately his articles have been concerned with the Madrid earthquake. He's at: http://blogs.afp.com...thor/dbarnetson

My Portuguese is non-existent, but for those who do understand the language, here are some of the country's online sports dailies: A Bola [http://www.abola.pt/], Record [http://www.record.xl.pt/], O Jogo [http://www.record.xl.pt/].

That's about all I could find today, she says, inveigling her way into this discussion in the best way she knows. B)

Welcome,

The highlighted is incorrect. It hasn't said anything about 'still to be vetted' for some time now. It names 10 teams (including OR) and states 14 teams - 4 undisclosed.

ET has hinted about 'big announcements - any day now' more than once.

How serious are they? Will they get the $$. Will they be in Cascais (or do the get a free passwink.gif)?

All open questions as far as I know. Stay tuned!

My Portuguese is non-existent, but for those who do understand the language, here are some of the country's online sports dailies: A Bola [http://www.abola.pt/], Record [http://www.record.xl.pt/], O Jogo [http://www.record.xl.pt/].

Welcome,

The highlighted is incorrect. It hasn't said anything about 'still to be vetted' for some time now. It names 10 teams (including OR) and states 14 teams - 4 undisclosed.

ET has hinted about 'big announcements - any day now' more than once.

How serious are they? Will they get the $. Will they be in Cascais (or do the get a free passwink.gif)?

All open questions as far as I know. Stay tuned!

See y’all anon . . . off to watch the Canucks-Sharks game. More on ET and the 34thAC later.

Off topic, and I just know this will p**s off Americans on this board, but ya gotta know the history behind the obvious marketing one: The bet was if the U.S. lost the 2010 Olympics Gold Medal Hockey game, Barack Obama would send a case of Molson to Stephen Harper. The video helps explain to the American Prez (at the same time gives a good-natured ‘dig’) why it was Molson beer the Canadian PM asked for [http://youtu.be/BRI-A3vakVg]. We may be neighbours, but when it comes to sports, well . . . .

~Captain Gal, following, virtually, winners all: Energy Team France (34thAC), Groupe Edmond de Rothschild (FRA) (ExSS), Abracadabra and Icon (VanIsle360) :rolleyes:

Well the person in charge of communication for ET is at least responding to email even if he's not very informative.

I asked for news of the team, he responded:

"No news for the moment."

I hope they get something sorted soon - a multihull AC without the French would be a damn shame.

Maybe Grant could earn the missing $ for ETNZ by finding sponsorship for the other teams and taking a %??

Well the person in charge of communication for ET is at least responding to email even if he's not very informative.

I hope they get something sorted soon - a multihull AC without the French would be a damn shame.

Maybe Grant could earn the missing $ for ETNZ by finding sponsorship for the other teams and taking a %??

So what to make of the ET silence? The apparent total lack of rumour or news suggests that they have not thrown in the towel but are moving forward and have a tight clamp on any leaks.

I went back and looked at the Energy Team Website. Comprehensive, as far as it goes. They appear to have all the right players on board. And their Core Team of five would be perfect for an AC45:

Loïck Peyron, skipper of the AC45 and AC72: 6 times F60 world champion, 8 times F28 Trophy Champion winner.

Bruno Peyron: 8 times world ocean records champion, skipper of the G Class, which will be the ambassador for Energy Team.

Yann Guichard: helmsman with Loïck Peyron : Extreme 40 world number 2, Member of the French Olympic team.

Thierry Fouchier: performance team, the only Frenchman to have won the America's Cup with BMW Oracle Racing aboard which he was the wing sail trimmer.

Jean-Christophe Mourniac: performance team, member of the French Olympic team, one of the world's top 5 Tornado and F18 racers over the past ten years.

Yves Loday : coach for young talent. Former member of the French Olympic team, he was Tornado gold medallist in Barcelona in 1992. He will be joining the team to prepare the "Youth America's Cup" that the American Defender is launching.

All they need is cash!

If there is any challenger team that can step cold into an AC45 and make it fly, it's these guys.

I believe you'll see them racing in Cascais and Plymouth as they build the necessary credibility for their marketing team to gather in the sponsors and support they'll need going forward.

So what to make of the ET silence? The apparent total lack of rumour or news suggests that they have not thrown in the towel but are moving forward and have a tight clamp on any leaks.

I went back and looked at the Energy Team Website. Comprehensive, as far as it goes. They appear to have all the right players on board. And their Core Team of five would be perfect for an AC45:

Loïck Peyron, skipper of the AC45 and AC72: 6 times F60 world champion, 8 times F28 Trophy Champion winner.

Bruno Peyron: 8 times world ocean records champion, skipper of the G Class, which will be the ambassador for Energy Team.

Yann Guichard: helmsman with Loïck Peyron : Extreme 40 world number 2, Member of the French Olympic team.

Thierry Fouchier: performance team, the only Frenchman to have won the America's Cup with BMW Oracle Racing aboard which he was the wing sail trimmer.

Jean-Christophe Mourniac: performance team, member of the French Olympic team, one of the world's top 5 Tornado and F18 racers over the past ten years.

Yves Loday : coach for young talent. Former member of the French Olympic team, he was Tornado gold medallist in Barcelona in 1992. He will be joining the team to prepare the "Youth America's Cup" that the American Defender is launching.

All they need is cash!

If there is any challenger team that can step cold into an AC45 and make it fly, it's these guys.

I believe you'll see them racing in Cascais and Plymouth as they build the necessary credibility for their marketing team to gather in the sponsors and support they'll need going forward.

The first responses around here when the French announced interest in the cup was that there were too many " personalities " to get along and their forces would be too divided to get it together . From the comments and slights in the press amongst them it looks like our first impressions were correct. Has anything changed? They are dividing the pie too many ways .

The CNN Mainsail videos we've been looking forward to are out today.

http://edition.cnn.com/CNNI/Programs/main.sail/

New thread, anyone? I managed to catch some of 1 of the 3, "Bruno and Loick Peyron's achievementsvideo_icon.gif10:57" it looked terrific.

The other two are

Taking on the America's Cup series

and

Preparing for the America's Cup series

the word is that they will not get there

shame really

this cup needs team

and needs them NOW

and neither will Aleph

the word is that they will not get there

shame really

this cup needs team

and needs them NOW

and neither will Aleph

Thanks for the links SR.

fingers crossed...

ACEA need the French in the start box.

So, how about they loan OR (White), ex ML-Phantom, to Loick and Bruno?

At least create the impression of France being in.

because you or say ACEA must at least look partial / independent

they can't charge millions to one team to buy an AC45

while just let the other teams rent one for one off event

there are rules here

and they must be followed

if you can't come up with the $$$ to buy your AC45 and do the series

then you are not really a viable Cup team

this is part of the process of whinning teams off

That boat is on it's way to SF. The real question is where will the original AC 45 will end up.

http://edition.cnn.c...rams/main.sail/

For anyone who has been promoting personalities as a draw, these videos must surely get your juices flowing? Good stuff, just now watched all three segments.

Produced by Sunset & Vine, same company contracted by AC33.

This is from a Loick tweet today, 'Alphena Yard' ?

Good brainstorming session at the Alphena Yard.

http://yfrog.com/h7ccgdcsj

That boat is on it's way to SF. The real question is where will the original AC 45 will end up.

In a talk last week, I heard 3 AC45s in SF in June.

In a talk last week, I heard 3 AC45s in SF in June.

And there you have it :) Conformnation should come soon enough .

because you or say ACEA must at least look partial / independent

they can't charge millions to one team to buy an AC45

while just let the other teams rent one for one off event

there are rules here

and they must be followed

if you can't come up with the $$$ to buy your AC45 and do the series

then you are not really a viable Cup team

this is part of the process of whinning teams off

Yes, quite so.

But they already caved on important conditions.

Pretty much agree with you and you are better placed...

If that is right it is not even sure they don't have the time for the AC72.

Now that LE created a poodle of a dead poodle they have more 2 years to send LE to courts with the help of Bernard Arnault, much richer that LE.:)

For anyone who has been promoting personalities as a draw, these videos must surely get your juices flowing? Good stuff, just now watched all three segments.

Not good news. I am 99% sure that Loic was not working on the AC72 as he should do now.

Loic is a consultant for les Chantiers Navals Alphena. Up to now, as far as I know, they only constructed beautiful mono and I don't know how they could go for multis.

The AC72 is supposed to be manufactured by Multiplast.

Moody Frog ?

Not good news. I am 99% sure that Loic was not working on the AC72 as he should do now.

Loic is a consultant for les Chantiers Navals Alphena. Up to now, as far as I know, they only constructed beautiful mono and I don't know how they could go for multis.

Moody Frog ?

Yep Alphena is a pretty small yard, I do not think that they are any proposal for AC.

Energy is committed to Multiplast, but LC has to keep the house-kettle boiling meanwhile and has ben contracted to Alphena for a long time.

I don't think this will disturb him much nor take much of his time.

IIRC, Dean Barker is rather active with Nexus of which he is a shareholder and also spends sometime promoting the Archambault 34 without being harmed.

Moody Frog ?

Yep Alphena is a pretty small yard, I do not think that they are any proposal for AC.

Energy is committed to Multiplast, but LC has to keep the house-kettle boiling meanwhile and has ben contracted to Alphena for a long time.

IIRC, Dean Barker is rather active with Nexus of which he is a shareholder and also spends sometime promoting the Archambault 34 without being harmed.

Right, and I guess he can still get the help of Yves for the AC72?

Moody Frog ?

Thanks that puts it in context. Looks as if Alphena was a convenient location for Loic to host a planning session.

But what were they brainstorming? Design? Finance? Sponsorship?

Moody Frog ?

Thanks that puts it in context. Looks as if Alphena was a convenient location for Loic to host a planning session.

Not in a geographical point of view. LP is from La Baule, Multiplast in Vannes and Alphena further away in Lorient. But they have boats there.

Moody Frog ?

Nothing else than brainstorming on the next Alphena offerings or current models evolutions I would think.

Nothing really new, that I can see (Google Translation), but a story, nonetheless (see story,http://www.ouest-france.fr/actu/actuLocale_-Un-nouveau-defi-pour-le-chantier-naval-Multiplast-_-1806564------56260-aud_actu.Htm)

French to English translation

Un nouveau défi pour le chantier naval Multiplast

lundi 23 mai 2011

Mariners Bruno and Loick Peyron joined the Yacht Club de France to attend the next America's Cup. It will be held in 2013 in the Bay of San Francisco.

At the beginning of September, the company Vannes should start building a multihull original. The aim of this ship is to attend the next America's Cup ... and win.

It is a very important commission for the Multiplast yard. From 1 September, if all goes as announced earlier this year, the SME Vannes launch the construction of an AC72. "The project is still in the pipes, but we await confirmation anyway," says Yann Penfornis, the CEO of the company.

Behind these two letters and two numbers lies a mysterious big multihull 72 feet long (22 m) and a total weight of 7 tons. With a wing mast 40 m high, it should be faster than the wind, "up to twice, apparently.

To design this unique boat, designed by Vincent Vannetais Lauriot Prevost and "set sail" with the North Sails Vannes, Multiplast provides eight months of work and "the mobilization of forty technicians," says Yann Penfornis.

Support weight

After its launch in April 2012, will sail for the 34th America's Cup. The legendary race opens, in fact, for the first time to multihulls. It will take place in 2013 (from 13 July to 22 September for the best) in the Bay of San Francisco in the United States.

This challenge tricolor, called Energy Team France is led by two of the three brothers Peyron, Bruno and Loick. The first skipper the boat. The second will be the general manager of the project. In this long journey, the sailors are supported Baulois weight: that of the Yacht Club de France.

He brings to the challenge. His goal is clear: participate in the next two editions of the America's Cup win and finally, after 40 years of famine. To do this, the budget is therefore: 70 million euros, including some for the construction of the AC72.

International experience

According to officials of the Yacht Club de France, and Bruno Peyron Loïck are "two exceptional sailors, experienced, legitimate. These are definitely the best candidates for a French attempt in the America's Cup, to finally claim a victory. Loick Peyron has also been very involved in the latest edition. "

The choice of Multiplast for the construction part has also imposed very rapidly Yacht Club de France and two brothers Peyron. The company enjoys Morbihan, in fact, a large international experience in the world of multihulls, as Orange I and II or the maxi-trimaran Groupama III Franck Cammas and others.

Yves-Marie Robin.

The choice of Multiplast for the construction part has also imposed very rapidly Yacht Club de France and two brothers Peyron. The company enjoys Morbihan, in fact, a large international experience in the world of multihulls, as Orange I and II or the maxi-trimaran Groupama III Franck Cammas and others.

I sure hope Energy makes it as getting an AC72 from the kings of extreme multihull sailing would be fabulous.

Multiplast, ET's boat builder tell that they still have the AC72 in the pipe, but they are waiting for confirmation.

If they get the OK they should begin working on it Sept 2011.

I find that pretty late as the AC72 can begin to sail as soon as Jan 2012, which is 4 months later.

However it looks like nearly everybody is late, ACEA and ACRM too.

http://www.ouest-fra...60-aud_actu.Htm

Multiplast, ET's boat builder tell that they still have the AC72 in the pipe, but they are waiting for confirmation.

I find that pretty late as the AC72 can begin to sail as soon as Jan 2012, which is 4 months later.

Is there actually a restriction on starting the actual build until September? It seems like I remember seeing something like that in print.

Is there actually a restriction on starting the actual build until September? It seems like I remember seeing something like that in print.

I have never seen it but you could be right.

The rumors we had was that the big teams were already working on the construction of their boat (the first one).

It's when the stock design plans were scheduled to be delivered

Just in case nobody cares they seem to be alive:

SNGRPC – La prochaine étape c'est la coupe de l'America ?

L.P. Oui, oui toujours en train de travailler sur Energy Team avec Bruno évidemment. Bruno aurait bien voulu être avec nous ici autour de 3 bouées, mais il a d'autres obligations à Paris où il est très occupé par le montage du projet. On s'est réparti un peu les tâches, Bruno se charge des aspects administratifs et financiers, marketing, communication et recherche de sponsors etc.. Et moi, comme j'aurai potentiellement un rôle de skipper et de patron sur l'eau, je navigue, je navigue… C'est le rôle le plus simple pour l'instant.

SNGRPC – Oui, c'est celui qui s'amuse ?

L.P. – Un peu, un peu

Loick is still at the A of cat sailing wonder when will he be ready to move to AC cats.

Take your own translator and @Seasailsurf

just out, Maxi Banque Populaire V has a new skipper, Loick Peyron. Does this mean that Energy is no longer?