Grinder

Chicago Area III

I think the last time we had an SA night at the movies was "Morning Light". I'm thinking the new Johnny Depp movie "The Rum Diary" is sailing related...ish

Anyone in?

Chaos

OK, we need to look for a different excuse for a SA night at the movies. The Avatar and I saw it last night and was not very good. There was a couple of sailboats and plenty of drugs an alcohol but that's about it. Really seemed like a much weaker version of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

That being said, Amber Heard was smokin'!!!!

Cheers,

Chaos

How appropriate to get this email on Halloween from the CYA zombies trying to resurrect the Yachting Ball.

Apparently they didn't get the memo and didn't hear the shuffling of those sailors who voted with their feet.

Subject: CYA Yachting Celebration

Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 18:14:53 -0700 (PDT)

The Chicago Yachting Association

In cooperation with

US Sailing

is proud to present the

CYA Yachting Celebration

10 December 2011

Chicago Yacht Club

400 E Monroe Street

7 PM to 10 PM

Business casual attire (jacket required)

The cost is $45.00 per person and includes very heavy hors d' oeuvres, a free Scotch tasting presented by Old Pulteney Scotch, door prizes, and yachting awards. There will be a cash bar with a full selection of beverages.

Following the social hour we will gather in the main dining room to enjoy a presentation by Gary Jobson, President of US Sailing, and a world renowned personality in the yachting world. He will present a program of interest to both power and sailing enthusiasts. This will be followed by the awards presentations. All of this will be in a holiday atmosphere you don't want to miss.

Make reservations at:

Chicago Yachting Association

3726 North Odell Avenue

Chicago, IL 60634

Enclose your check made out to CYA. You may also reserve by email at chicagoyachting@aol.com . Reservations will not be validated until checks are received at the above address. No credit cards.

There will be limited free parking at CYC. When the lot is full you may drop off your guests at CYC and proceed to the Millennium Park Garage on Columbus Drive. This is 2 blocks from the Club. A discount parking certificate will be available at registration.

See You There!

I think the last time we had an SA night at the movies was "Morning Light". I'm thinking the new Johnny Depp movie "The Rum Diary" is sailing related...ish

Anyone in?

Chaos

OK, we need to look for a different excuse for a SA night at the movies. The Avatar and I saw it last night and was not very good. There was a couple of sailboats and plenty of drugs an alcohol but that's about it. Really seemed like a much weaker version of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Cheers,

Chaos

I should have accepted your review. It sucked!!

However, I am wondering if the sex on the boarding ladder is physically possible!!

Anyone in?

Chaos

Cheers,

Chaos

I should have accepted your review. It sucked!!

However, I am wondering if the sex on the boarding ladder is physically possible!!

It is... B)

How appropriate to get this email on Halloween from the CYA zombies trying to resurrect the Yachting Ball.

Apparently they didn't get the memo and didn't hear the shuffling of those sailors who voted with their feet.

In cooperation with

US Sailing

is proud to present the

CYA Yachting Celebration

10 December 2011

Chicago Yacht Club

400 E Monroe Street

7 PM to 10 PM

The cost is $45.00 per person and includes very heavy hors d' oeuvres, a free Scotch tasting presented by Old Pulteney Scotch, door prizes, and yachting awards. There will be a cash bar with a full selection of beverages.

Following the social hour we will gather in the main dining room to enjoy a presentation by Gary Jobson, President of US Sailing, and a world renowned personality in the yachting world. He will present a program of interest to both power and sailing enthusiasts. This will be followed by the awards presentations. All of this will be in a holiday atmosphere you don't want to miss.

Make reservations at:

3726 North Odell Avenue

Chicago, IL 60634

Enclose your check made out to CYA. You may also reserve by email at chicagoyachting@aol.com . Reservations will not be validated until checks are received at the above address. No credit cards.

There will be limited free parking at CYC. When the lot is full you may drop off your guests at CYC and proceed to the Millennium Park Garage on Columbus Drive. This is 2 blocks from the Club. A discount parking certificate will be available at registration.

See You There!

Less than 25 people had made reservations as of yesterday. CYA called for an emergency meeting with only the Commodores of the YCs invited. The meeting was last night at Columbia. Don't know the outcome, but we all should know shortly.

Volvo Ocean Race Game

Leg 1 starts 8 AM Chicago Standard Time

What is your SA and Volvo boat name so we can link up on the friends or watchlist to race among ourselves

SA Name Volvo Boat

5Degrees = fivedegrees

AnchorYanker = Abegweit

In cooperation with

US Sailing

is proud to present the

CYA Yachting Celebration

10 December 2011

Chicago Yacht Club

400 E Monroe Street

7 PM to 10 PM

Make reservations at:

3726 North Odell Avenue

Chicago, IL 60634

See You There!

Less than 25 people had made reservations as of yesterday. CYA called for an emergency meeting with only the Commodores of the YCs invited. The meeting was last night at Columbia. Don't know the outcome, but we all should know shortly.

Thanks for the info update.

Anyone who is still clueless enough to financially support CYA, gets exactly the representation that they deserve.

Getting a feel for the San Diego ACWS, anyone up for a meetup to watch the fleet racing 2 Sat from now? I have a bar we can hook a laptop up to for the races on the projector with audio.

frakulator=frakulator

I'll be heading out to Diego to shoot 11/15-18 for the AC. I'll post some reports/photos for all you kooks back home...

I'll be heading out to Diego to shoot 11/15-18 for the AC. I'll post some reports/photos for all you kooks back home...

Cooouuuul... B)

Getting a feel for the San Diego ACWS, anyone up for a meetup to watch the fleet racing 2 Sat from now? I have a bar we can hook a laptop up to for the races on the projector with audio.

If you are talking 11/12, YES!

Where and when?

Chaos

If you are talking 11/12, YES!

Where and when?

Chaos

Whichever day... Where and when?

frakulator=frakulator

I will be there from the 17th to the 21st.

Dood that would be awesome - but I'll be in New Orleans - what bar for future reference?

First of I have to say that I'm sorry for the Hijack (even though I'm really not - I'm just saying so) -

BUT - I had a great meeting with Remy/Cointreau Portfolio Manager Cathy (Red: Mt. Gay Rum) , Marissa, local dist. rep, and Mike Miller, owner / proprietor of the Bottom Lounge AND Winter Anarchy 2012 is a full on fucking Go!

There are three primary areas to the Bottom Lounge:

The Sports Bar Area right when you walk in

the Volcano Room Upstairs with an outside deck

and the stage area for live music downstairs

So far they've got a Caribbean theme in the Volcano Room planned for that night - and all the MT. Gay drinks you can pour down your gullet from 10pm - til Midnight for $20

Tons of free street parking - Valet Service available - AND there is also the option to have a shuttle pick people up at a Downtown hotel, and drop them back off - I'm not sure if this is something we want to deal with but at least it out there -

Goose Island / 312 has been contacted for a beer sponsor - I'm sure they will come online, but if they do not we have a fall back with another company.

in the past give-aways have been cool - but when you get bigger ticket items like jackets, duffel bags, PFDs .. etc ..its hard to decide how to get rid of it - and I hate reading off raffle ticket numbers - and killing a party vibe to give away swag. I'm going to go after swag sponsors for "Anything that will not hurt if thrown' including but not limited to, Hats, T-shirts, belts, gloves, stickers, coozies and thongs (yes you heard right .. just wait ).

Now there are no bands booked YET for that night, but if someone wants to step up and encourage a band to get on the bill for that night - they might be inclined to waive the cover fee for SA'ers - Pm if you want to help and believe me I need it (in more ways than one).

If anyone is one Facebook - there is a product Page and Event page - just look for Winter Anarchy 2012.

As far as perceived motivation goes let me tell ya that the bar will make the $$, SA'ers will get a killer place to party with special pricing on Mt. Gay rum drinks, and I'll put in 100's hours of thankless work to put this all together with the only compensation being a room full of laughing drunk fuckers having a good time - which is more than groovy.

January 27th 2012 - We're gonna burn the playhouse down!

Grinder=Grinder.

I ain't payin

Grinder - I went and signed up for the 4600 pts = $28.00 U.S. Dollars

We'll see how for that takes me on the first leg -

I can't be married to keyboard for 9 months - and waking up for wind updates sucks after a while as I remember.

For under $10 you can buy just about every sail & spin, auto sail , auto angle plus more .

All those where less than a 1000 pts

First of I have to say that I'm sorry for the Hijack (even though I'm really not - I'm just saying so) -

BUT - I had a great meeting with Remy/Cointreau Portfolio Manager Cathy (Red: Mt. Gay Rum) , Marissa, local dist. rep, and Mike Miller, owner / proprietor of the Bottom Lounge AND Winter Anarchy 2012 is a full on fucking Go!

There are three primary areas to the Bottom Lounge:

The Sports Bar Area right when you walk in

the Volcano Room Upstairs with an outside deck

and the stage area for live music downstairs

So far they've got a Caribbean theme in the Volcano Room planned for that night - and all the MT. Gay drinks you can pour down your gullet from 10pm - til Midnight for $20

Tons of free street parking - Valet Service available - AND there is also the option to have a shuttle pick people up at a Downtown hotel, and drop them back off - I'm not sure if this is something we want to deal with but at least it out there -

Goose Island / 312 has been contacted for a beer sponsor - I'm sure they will come online, but if they do not we have a fall back with another company.

in the past give-aways have been cool - but when you get bigger ticket items like jackets, duffel bags, PFDs .. etc ..its hard to decide how to get rid of it - and I hate reading off raffle ticket numbers - and killing a party vibe to give away swag. I'm going to go after swag sponsors for "Anything that will not hurt if thrown' including but not limited to, Hats, T-shirts, belts, gloves, stickers, coozies and thongs (yes you heard right .. just wait ).

Now there are no bands booked YET for that night, but if someone wants to step up and encourage a band to get on the bill for that night - they might be inclined to waive the cover fee for SA'ers - Pm if you want to help and believe me I need it (in more ways than one).

If anyone is one Facebook - there is a product Page and Event page - just look for Winter Anarchy 2012.

As far as perceived motivation goes let me tell ya that the bar will make the $, SA'ers will get a killer place to party with special pricing on Mt. Gay rum drinks, and I'll put in 100's hours of thankless work to put this all together with the only compensation being a room full of laughing drunk fuckers having a good time - which is more than groovy.

January 27th 2012 - We're gonna burn the playhouse down!

I'm bumping this -

Volvo Ocean Race Game

What is your SA and Volvo boat name so we can link up on the friends or watchlist to race among ourselves

SA Name Volvo Boat

5Degrees = fivedegrees

AnchorYanker = Abegweit

Had to change boat. Could not use my old name. New boat is OffCourse

Site crashed 5 minutes before start.

I am having trouble finding anyone on search. I am Grinder, friend me, bitches!

I'm boycotting ...

Volvo Ocean Race Game

SA Name Volvo Boat

5Degrees = fivedegrees

AnchorYanker = Abegweit

BigCountry

not a fan of the interface-yet.

Volvo Ocean Race Game

SA Name Volvo Boat

5Degrees = fivedegrees

AnchorYanker = Abegweit

BigCountry

not a fan of the interface-yet.

Yeah... being patient with it for now but it feels like they're not quite ready. They tried to add a lot of 'game play' but it falls flat. Crew energy? Can't Red Bull step in and do something about that...

Flying Wasp = Jobu Express

With all the boats approaching the straits, I'm assuming many are online and overwhelming the servers...which they should have planned for. Idiots.

Sorry for the delay in the responses.

ACWS, San Diego

Innjoy 2051 West Division (Wicker Park) Racing starts 3:10 PM Saturday 11/12.

Clicky Join if you have not already.

Grinder=Grinder.

I ain't payin

I can't be married to keyboard for 9 months - and waking up for wind updates sucks after a while as I remember.

For under $10 you can buy just about every sail & spin, auto sail , auto angle plus more .

Yer gonna hit the rocks.

Grinder=Grinder.

I ain't payin

Yer gonna hit the rocks.

He already has!!!!!

Grinder=Grinder.

I ain't payin

Yer gonna hit the rocks.

He already has!!!!!

Grinder is gonna be next...

Some preliminary good news. At the last Chicago Yachting Association (CYA) meeting, Westrec announced the following re: 2012 mooring fees:

• No increase for Montrose, Diversey, Jackson Inner, Jackson Outer and 59th Street

•No increase for star docks and mooring cans, Monroe in particular

•3-4% increase in Belmont, DuSable and Burnham

• 31st Street; fees have not been established as yet however they would be comparable to Burnham Harbor

Bear in mind the 2012 budget has not yet been finalized so this could change, but at least for now Westrec is not planning an increase in mooring fees for Jackson Park in 2012.

Fuck Westrec

Great, another $250 and not only did they take away our "free" garbage bags, now they don't even put cans out that we can squeeze our trash into!

Grinder=Grinder.

I ain't payin

Yer gonna hit the rocks.

He already has!!!!!

Twice.

Grinder=Grinder.

I ain't payin

Yer gonna hit the rocks.

He already has!!!!!

Twice.

I can't get shit to work. I can friend no one. Though it seems others can find and friend me. I can search for ya'all but it finds none of you. I took my token $100 credit and spent it on waypoints so I could avoid banging the shoreline but they were ignored and I hit three times. At this point - if things don't change I may bail out.

I can't get shit to work. I can friend no one. Though it seems others can find and friend me. I can search for ya'all but it finds none of you. I took my token $100 credit and spent it on waypoints so I could avoid banging the shoreline but they were ignored and I hit three times. At this point - if things don't change I may bail out.

I finally figured out how to search - you have to do it from "headquarters"

Don't give up on getting your waypoints to work! (or just set your alarm clock)

post-21216-013481500 1320687594_thumb.png

i am cruising right along the beach, just like the Waukegan race. oh yeah, CIRCUS won the waukegan race. bitches.

Auto sails and Auto Angle plus the waypoint have run me a ground 3 times - Bounced my way thru the Med gate like a pin ball game.

Getting close to heading to a fun port and sitting this out soon also.

I don't have time to steer the boat by hand (Desk Top) all day and night.

With all the boats approaching the straits, I'm assuming many are online and overwhelming the servers...which they should have planned for. Idiots.

Complained a bit about the problems to the VORG team and got a response today

The first leg is not compulsory so your overall standing will not be affected by the outcome of this Leg.

We would like to apologise for this problem which was beyond our control and caused by 3rd party restrictions.

Kind regards

Volvo Ocean Race Game

So this first leg doesn't even count. In other news: Skidmarks went way out in the Atlantic to avoid the high, but still can't catch me creeping along the beach at a blistering 6 knots. Gave my crew a Snicker bar and now their effort is 120%

Don't you guys have a seperate "Boys and Video Games Anarchy" you can take all this drivel to?

Chaos

Actually there is a VORg thread I started when I had interest in it - I'm over it as there are other things I am per-occupied with like ...wait for it...wait for it... the WINTER ANARCHY 2012 PARTY at the BOTTOM LOUNGE January 27th 2012 sponsored by Mt. Gay Rum!

Don't you guys have a seperate "Boys and Video Games Anarchy" you can take all this drivel to?

Chaos

Actually there is a VORg thread I started when I had interest in it - I'm over it as there are other things I am per-occupied with like ...wait for it...wait for it... the WINTER ANARCHY 2012 PARTY at the BOTTOM LOUNGE January 27th 2012 sponsored by Mt. Gay Rum!

NOICELY DONE!

< golf clap >

Can't wait!

Chaos

NOICELY DONE!

< golf clap >

Can't wait!

Thanks Bro - look for more shameless plugs for the next 2 months ;)

Just a quick reminder to everyone - Columbia is doing the Area 3 Awards Next weekend...

Boaters_Bash.jpg

Seems that someone is still ripping off that T10 shot from our Boatingshots calendar!! Was that the 2005 or 2006 calendar? Oh well....

So this first leg doesn't even count. In other news: Skidmarks went way out in the Atlantic to avoid the high, but still can't catch me creeping along the beach at a blistering 6 knots. Gave my crew a Snicker bar and now their effort is 120%

Kudos - could not get back to the beach in time, but me thinks those right of the rhumbline will be paying for it tomorrow at this time...

... meanwhile, I float and experiment in methods of auto-fellatio.

Kudos - could not get back to the beach in time, but me thinks those right of the rhumbline will be paying for it tomorrow at this time...

....not unlike everyday life L?? ;)

....not unlike everyday life L?? ;)

Don't need to. I have two dogs.

With a nice update from yesterday on the AC Site it appears the will NOT be showing live coverage of the ACWS today. Kind of defeats the purpose of taking over the bar.

I sould have been hanging on a Crash Boat in Monroe.

With a nice update from yesterday on the AC Site it appears the will NOT be showing live coverage of the ACWS today. Kind of defeats the purpose of taking over the bar.

I sould have been hanging on a Crash Boat in Monroe.

Only if you showered first T.... ;)

Just a quick reminder to everyone - Columbia is doing the Area 3 Awards Next weekend...

Boaters_Bash.jpg

Seems that someone is still ripping off that T10 shot from our Boatingshots calendar!! Was that the 2005 or 2006 calendar? Oh well....

Great idea except many of the trophies weren't there, including some of Columbias.

Team Gonzo, 41.5 " from the Northlands. Reef Runner Fire Tiger, 15 lb braid (Harvest Gold), no leader. Released.

Jan 6th fishing camp starts. No booze or women . Guy hookers OK, I'm secure, unlike T.O.M...

dd-2-1.jpg

Thanks Jim, the locals were a bit blown away by us cityots. And the fact that we were spending $8 per sucker. "Fer that kind uh money yuh should be smokin' 'em! Ya."

Rich,

There should be a way to "brand" fish, like they do cattle, without killing them...

That way when you release them back and the next guy catches it, it could say

"You just caught a FRYE fish"...!!!!

:P

ID

Hello folks,

For those who don't know me, I am Andy Camarda, and took the position of Offshore Chair at LMSRF this year. I have been tasked with determining what we can do to offer more value to our members. I have decided to try a novel approach and listen to the people who sail. We are trying to see what we can do to best promote sailing and create a fun environment. I started by adding a Facebook page from which I will post news and have an open forum for discussion. Please join and pass it along to other sailors/prospective sailors. If you have any additional comments, please PM me!

LMSRF Facebook

Hello folks,

For those who don't know me, I am Andy Camarda, and took the position of Offshore Chair at LMSRF this year. I have been tasked with determining what we can do to offer more value to our members. I have decided to try a novel approach and listen to the people who sail. We are trying to see what we can do to best promote sailing and create a fun environment. I started by adding a Facebook page from which I will post news and have an open forum for discussion. Please join and pass it along to other sailors/prospective sailors. If you have any additional comments, please PM me!

LMSRF Facebook

Andy,

When trying to reach out, you may want to consider the fact that not everyone is willing to sign up with Facebook in order to communicate.

Good luck, and keep us informed on this thread

Agreed, GP. Good luck Andy, working with the elderly. Let us know what we can do. You know we don't pull any punches here.

Hello folks,

LMSRF Facebook

Andy,

When trying to reach out, you may want to consider the fact that not everyone is willing to sign up with Facebook in order to communicate.

Good luck, and keep us informed on this thread

Wow, I find myself in 100% agreement with George

Facebook is the first point of contact I am working on because I am most familiar with it. I am looking at Yahoo groups, Google Groups, and Listserv as a method of communication. I plan to make one group for each of the different Areas. We currently have contestant contact for a LMSRF e-mail group as a whole, and it seems to be working pretty well so I think we will stick with that. I am currently putting together a proposal for how we can better communicate and serve the sailing community, and the board seems pretty receptive to change. Our new (and returning) Commodore, Glenn McCarthy, gave a very passionate speech about making sailing more fun and promoting growth.

Current plans already approved are:

Reinstating the newsletter

Creating a $10 membership for all crew members and owners of boats under 20 feet

Working with UW Whitewater to run a thorough market survey of all of the areas

Hiring Gail Turluck as part time office support to help communication

I am open to suggestions for ways to make the organization better and to better serve the sailors. I am about a third of the way done with the proposal and will release it to you guys once we finalize it.

Andy

Hello folks,

LMSRF Facebook

Andy, thanks for stepping up to the plate and taking a swing. My take on your post is that you're adding Facebook as ONE of your communication tools, and not as your sole platform for discussions.

Have you thought about broadcasting your message onto the LMSRF Yahoo Groups page as well as here on SA? I don't read scurvybutt.com, however, I would assume that their forum may have a couple of old pensioners posting stories of the good old days of barque rigs and how sometimes windjammers are often confused with clippers, there... How about physically posting messages at the clubs? Maybe even a couple of well scripted telegrams, Stop.

Dude, good luck. You have my support.

BB

P.S. Don't forget to warm up for the Winter Shankmas Party.

Hold on a sec... you want to charge me $10 as Crew?

Did you lower your prices for Boat Owners or is this a new fee on top?

That will raise a bunch of money, assuming it wont scare away owners and crew.

OD Racing at CYC Belmont just got a boost for sure.

Then again I could be misreading this as I am low on the comprehension scale.

Crew memberships have always been $10, we are now looking at actually offering something for that money(a novel concept apparently). Crew memberships never have or never will be required, so please don't put that assumption in anyone's head.

No new fees are added, a full membership for boat owner over 20 feet is still $40, though we are looking into changing it (The budget numbers have finally settled in after a bit of volatility, and we are determining our cash flows)

Owners of boats under 20 feet (aimed at dinghy sailors) can now join for $10 and receive the newsletter and be eligible for Grants in Aid.

Just received this link in an email: Old Pics of Burnham Harbour

Pretty coold shit. Didn't know Burnham was open on the north end...

Chaos

Only on Thursdays...

Aaaahhh, I see... so the negs are reversed and i'm too stoopid to notice.

Thank for straightening me out, Blubs

Crew memberships have always been $10, we are now looking at actually offering something for that money(a novel concept apparently). Crew memberships never have or never will be required, so please don't put that assumption in anyone's head.

No new fees are added, a full membership for boat owner over 20 feet is still $40, though we are looking into changing it (The budget numbers have finally settled in after a bit of volatility, and we are determining our cash flows)

Owners of boats under 20 feet (aimed at dinghy sailors) can now join for $10 and receive the newsletter and be eligible for Grants in Aid.

Owners who want to be members of LMSRF should certainly join.

The rub, as always, has been the mandatory LMSRF membership for only those boat owners who enter at least one of Area 3 designated races; in 2011 there were only 198. That is because LMSRF has not found a way to mandate membership from thousands of owners who either race in Area 1, Area 2, Area 4, Area 5, Chicago MORF and any Chicago area inshore OD class.

Forced membership of Area 3 owners in LMSRF is even more egregious due to the fact that no Chicago area yacht club demands that its members join LMSRF in order to enter any of their yacht club races, most of which are not on the Area 3 schedule.

So how did this mandatory membership in LMSRF for Area 3 owners come about. Well, as usual it was put in place voluntarily as a temporary fee for only one year to bail out LMSRF that was about to become bankrupt. Of course, once iit was included in the Area 3 NOR and SI, it never got removed due to lobbying from LMSRF.

While the race entry revenues for the Area 3 yacht clubs have been in steady decline due to >65% drop in the number of starts, LMSRF has during the last 11 years years enjoyed from >$7,000 to <$12,000 annual income due to the owners in Area 3 who have not yet rebelled in mass, although I and some others have voted with our feet and stopped entering Area 3 races in protest. Can you imagine the improvements that could have been made in race committee performance with a budget of between >$77,000 to <$132,000.

The other important issue is that membership in LMSRF gives an individual member the right to vote for only one seat on the Board of Directors. In all the years that I monitored the working of LMSRF, I have never seen any individual members vote for even that one seat. Things are so bad that no one wanted to be LMSRF Commodore in 2012. That indicates that most boat owners who are coerced to become LMSRF members in order to enter Area 3 races have given up.

To understand how endangered Area 3 racing has become while LMSRF was spending our money like a drunk sailor on shore liberty, it is instructive to present some numbers.

Number of Area 3 starts in 2002 = 3,084

Number of Area 3 starts in 2011 = 1,068

Delta ..................................... = 2,016

% of starts in 2011 vs 2002 ..... = <35%

Number of boats entering at least one race in 2004 = 287

Number of boats entering at least one race in 2011 = 198

Delta ................................................................ = 89

% of boats entering at least 1 race in 2011 vs 2004 = ~69%

Total Yacht Club Gross Income from Area 3 races in 2010 = $31,778

Total Yacht Club Gross Income from Area 3 races in 2011 = $25,353

Delta ........................................................................ = $ 6,425

% of Gross Income in 2011 vs 2010 .............................. = <80%

Can anyone please explain how forcing a small minority of owners to provide most of the LMSRF operational budget year after year is good for Area 3 sailing in Chicago.

I believe that it is time for Chicago sailors to instruct their yacht club representatives to vote for abolishment of LMSRF membership requirement for race entry in 2012 Area 3 NOR and SI.

George, I am not going to start an argument with you about this, but LMSRF does provide a good amount of management for Area 3. It has not been the best in the past few years due to a big change forced by the downturn in the economy. Area 3 also takes up a larger percentage of the budget and has the largest population.

We do understand that we have to change, and are in the process of offering more for less. I don't want to say anything until we finalize a few more things, but we are going to reduce the costs associated with joining and racing in Area 3 and around the lake.

As far as the Commodore, we have Glenn McCarthy stepping in to take the job, and he seems pretty gung ho about it. The whole reason no one wants the job is that it frankly has been a lot of work without a whole lot of support in the past few years since the removal of back office support. It is a thankless position with a ton of work associated with it. If you feel so strongly George, please come and take a position on the board alongside me (or frankly any board at any YC/organization).

Also, arbitrarily picking years to make your numbers come out the way you want them does not prove a point, it just makes you look like a politician

Owners who want to be members of LMSRF should certainly join.

The rub, as always, has been the mandatory LMSRF membership for only those boat owners who enter at least one of Area 3 designated races; in 2011 there were only 198. That is because LMSRF has not found a way to mandate membership from thousands of owners who either race in Area 1, Area 2, Area 4, Area 5, Chicago MORF and any Chicago area inshore OD class.

Forced membership of Area 3 owners in LMSRF is even more egregious due to the fact that no Chicago area yacht club demands that its members join LMSRF in order to enter any of their yacht club races, most of which are not on the Area 3 schedule.

So how did this mandatory membership in LMSRF for Area 3 owners come about. Well, as usual it was put in place voluntarily as a temporary fee for only one year to bail out LMSRF that was about to become bankrupt. Of course, once iit was included in the Area 3 NOR and SI, it never got removed due to lobbying from LMSRF.

While the race entry revenues for the Area 3 yacht clubs have been in steady decline due to >65% drop in the number of starts, LMSRF has during the last 11 years years enjoyed from >$7,000 to <$12,000 annual income due to the owners in Area 3 who have not yet rebelled in mass, although I and some others have voted with our feet and stopped entering Area 3 races in protest. Can you imagine the improvements that could have been made in race committee performance with a budget of between >$77,000 to <$132,000.

The other important issue is that membership in LMSRF gives an individual member the right to vote for only one seat on the Board of Directors. In all the years that I monitored the working of LMSRF, I have never seen any individual members vote for even that one seat. Things are so bad that no one wanted to be LMSRF Commodore in 2012. That indicates that most boat owners who are coerced to become LMSRF members in order to enter Area 3 races have given up.

To understand how endangered Area 3 racing has become while LMSRF was spending our money like a drunk sailor on shore liberty, it is instructive to present some numbers.

Number of Area 3 starts in 2002 = 3,084

Delta ..................................... = 2,016

% of starts in 2011 vs 2002 ..... = <35%

Number of boats entering at least one race in 2004 = 287

Number of boats entering at least one race in 2011 = 198

Delta ................................................................ = 89

% of boats entering at least 1 race in 2011 vs 2004 = ~69%

Total Yacht Club Gross Income from Area 3 races in 2010 = $31,778

Total Yacht Club Gross Income from Area 3 races in 2011 = $25,353

Delta ........................................................................ = $ 6,425

% of Gross Income in 2011 vs 2010 .............................. = <80%

Can anyone please explain how forcing a small minority of owners to provide most of the LMSRF operational budget year after year is good for Area 3 sailing in Chicago.

I believe that it is time for Chicago sailors to instruct their yacht club representatives to vote for abolishment of LMSRF membership requirement for race entry in 2012 Area 3 NOR and SI.

George, I am not going to start an argument with you about this, but LMSRF does provide a good amount of management for Area 3. It has not been the best in the past few years due to a big change forced by the downturn in the economy. Area 3 also takes up a larger percentage of the budget and has the largest population.

We do understand that we have to change, and are in the process of offering more for less. I don't want to say anything until we finalize a few more things, but we are going to reduce the costs associated with joining and racing in Area 3 and around the lake.

As far as the Commodore, we have Glenn McCarthy stepping in to take the job, and he seems pretty gung ho about it. The whole reason no one wants the job is that it frankly has been a lot of work without a whole lot of support in the past few years since the removal of back office support. It is a thankless position with a ton of work associated with it. If you feel so strongly George, please come and take a position on the board alongside me (or frankly any board at any YC/organization).

Also, arbitrarily picking years to make your numbers come out the way you want them does not prove a point, it just makes you look like a politician

Andy,

Let me again thank you for the time and effort it takes to be a volunteer in any organization.

You say that LMSRF "provide(s) a good amount of management for Area 3". Would you enumerate the specifics of that alleged "management for Area 3" ?

As for your claim that "arbitrarily picking years to make your numbers come out the way you want them does not prove a point", please explain how else to derive deltas between the high and low points?

Here is an even more alarming fact that you may want to consider; the >37% decline in the number of Area 3 starts in only one year.

Number of Area 3 starts in 2010 = 1,713

Delta ........................................ = 645

% of starts in 2011 vs 2010 ..... = >37%

But don't let the reality of how dire things are bite your ass and stop you from attempting to defend the indefensible.

As for trying to convince the very same crony leadership who drove LMSRF down the wrong path to change directions, good luck with that; I have already wasted years doing it. The most that was ever accomplished after fighting tooth and nail was to separate Area 3 from the management contract costing ~$30,000 per year that was bankrupting LMSRF.

"Offering more for less" would only apply to a situation where membership in an organization was voluntary and based on perception of value. As for sailors "around the lake" rushing to voluntary join LMSRF , that has forever been Glen's pipe dream that is never going to happen.

If you don't believe me ask Glen for LMSRF individual membership list, then compare the total number of individual members from "all around the lake" to the number of Chicago Area 3 owners who are coerced into paying membership dues in order to enter any Area 3 race. Let us know how that works out.

A much more elegant solution would be for Chicago Area owners to eliminate Area 3 and pass the money that is used to run LMSRF on to the yacht club race committees that actually run races. Those race committees need money, they do not need LMSRF or Area 3. If LMSRF and Area 3 were to suddenly disappear, it would not effect sailboat racing in Chicago by an iota.

Like I said George, I am not going to argue with you on this one. Yes sailing being down sucks, yes the organization has not done as well as it could in the past. Some of these are beyond our control, some are not.

We are making changes and working to promote sailing, if you would like to help, you are welcome to do so. If you wish to join the discussion, please do so in a civil manner. There are many new faces on the board and I like the direction we are headed.

Have a happy thanksgiving my friend

Like I said George, I am not going to argue with you on this one. Yes sailing being down sucks, yes the organization has not done as well as it could in the past. Some of these are beyond our control, some are not.

We are making changes and working to promote sailing, if you would like to help, you are welcome to do so. If you wish to join the discussion, please do so in a civil manner. There are many new faces on the board and I like the direction we are headed.

Have a happy thanksgiving my friend

Thanks for your reply Andy, such as it is, even though it did not answer any of the specific questions that I have asked in a civil manner.

Perhaps others will have better luck in getting answers to their questions

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I promised myself I would NEVER get involved, but ...

A few random observations:

The desire to 'unify' Chicago harbor racing drove the need for money. It isn't Area 3, it's primarily CYC, COLYC, CCYC, JPYC, and BPYC. Those clubs sent reps to Area 3 steering committee meetings and, with the goal of providing 'one stop shopping' for Chicago boat owners, created the need for non-volunteer work (handling money, protests, entries, scoring, etc.). The cost of entry, including entry fees and LMSRF dues, went, almost exclusively, to providing that service. The yacht clubs allowed that to happen, probably (initially) encouraged/facilitated it.

In the five or six years I was on the LMSRF board (Area 4 VC), not once did we vote on mandatory membership. That's pretty much uniquely an Area 3 steering committee issue, and while they operate under the auspices of LMSRF, they're a unique entity outside the LMSRF board.

The management of Chicago racing likely doesn't belong under the banner of LMSRF ... should have been a separate entity from the get go.

LMSRF could be a very relevant group with a little tweaking. They already feature a very good Grants in Aid program and the Appeals committee is operating efficiently. LMSRF could provide an excellent service by publicizing the regional sailing schedules and providing links to NORs and Entry forms, etc. This was always my notion of what my job was in Area 4. LMSRF could also do a nice job of providing series racing, charging a small fee for awards and scoring multi-authority races under one NOR ... like is currently done with the BOLM, only better. I think we managed to do that a little within A4.

I think it's a bit of a red herring to toss participation numbers out and try to relate that to LMSRF 'involvement'. The same drop in participation for weekend regattas has been seen nationally (with a few exceptions), and LMSRF certainly didn't screw up the country!

I think mandatory membership stinks ... always have, always will. LMSRF, if it stuck to GIA, appeals, communications, and 'super series' really doesn't have the need for a lot of money. Plus, if it provided a perceived value, I think most sailors would support it with a $5 to $10 membership ... I know I would.

Not really arguing, actually agreeing in part with you George. Hope they find their place!

Bob Harvey

Past Area 4 VC ... yeah!

Andy,

Let me again thank you for the time and effort it takes to be a volunteer in any organization.

You say that LMSRF "provide(s) a good amount of management for Area 3". Would you enumerate the specifics of that alleged "management for Area 3" ?

As for your claim that "arbitrarily picking years to make your numbers come out the way you want them does not prove a point", please explain how else to derive deltas between the high and low points?

Here is an even more alarming fact that you may want to consider; the >37% decline in the number of Area 3 starts in only one year.

Number of Area 3 starts in 2010 = 1,713

Delta ........................................ = 645

% of starts in 2011 vs 2010 ..... = >37%

But don't let the reality of how dire things are bite your ass and stop you from attempting to defend the indefensible.

As for trying to convince the very same crony leadership who drove LMSRF down the wrong path to change directions, good luck with that; I have already wasted years doing it. The most that was ever accomplished after fighting tooth and nail was to separate Area 3 from the management contract costing ~$30,000 per year that was bankrupting LMSRF.

"Offering more for less" would only apply to a situation where membership in an organization was voluntary and based on perception of value. As for sailors "around the lake" rushing to voluntary join LMSRF , that has forever been Glen's pipe dream that is never going to happen.

If you don't believe me ask Glen for LMSRF individual membership list, then compare the total number of individual members from "all around the lake" to the number of Chicago Area 3 owners who are coerced into paying membership dues in order to enter any Area 3 race. Let us know how that works out.

A much more elegant solution would be for Chicago Area owners to eliminate Area 3 and pass the money that is used to run LMSRF on to the yacht club race committees that actually run races. Those race committees need money, they do not need LMSRF or Area 3. If LMSRF and Area 3 were to suddenly disappear, it would not effect sailboat racing in Chicago by an iota.